As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I know at the one I went to (had 14 there), if you bought a core set from them they waived the entry fee.

This is what I did as well, and spread out giving out promos through the event to encourage people to stick around and to support people who came late.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    My local release event went pretty well (about 15 people came). I was a little surprised that there were from what I could see no new players. Everyone who came had played the CCG.

cckerberos.png
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    We had roughly 16 people. I was literally the only dragon clan player yesterday, which was lame. We randomed the promos, and did mostly freeplay. I went 5-0 in roughly 9 hours. The game is SUPER crunchy. Pretty excited to see how the local scene develops here on LI.

League of Legends:Varega
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I feel like I need to play a billion games just to determine what clan to ally with. My Crane options I feel like are, in order of obviousness: Phoenix (some combo of Seeker of Knowledge, Pacifism, Display of Power and Kimono), Dragon (Let Go, Mirumoto's Fury, Tattooed Wanderer), and Unicorn (Spyglass, Iuchi Wayfinder and Ide Messenger?). Pacifism seems like the single best card I could add, but the Dragon suite across the board is very strong. I'm torn.

My Phoenix options are basically the same, but with Crane ally instead. I think the Unicorn ally becomes a lot better too, Iuchi Wayfinder as a shugenja on a stick is nice and he avoids a crippling Shameful Display.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Seems like everyone is splashing dragon at the moment.

Meanwhile, my dragon deck needs a little more way to remove being Dishonored from my characters, I think.

What is this I don't even.
    So, I looked up the Grand tournament at PAX unplugged. Where did you see anything about what the prize support is? It's definitely $90 minimum investment to try to win (two day passes at $50 plus the entry fee of $40.)

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, I looked up the Grand tournament at PAX unplugged. Where did you see anything about what the prize support is? It's definitely $90 minimum investment to try to win (two day passes at $50 plus the entry fee of $40.)

What you probably want is the Kotei Series page.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/l5r-lcg/kotei/

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    PMAvers, thank you very much for that link. I hadn't connected that it'd be one of the really, really big tournaments.

So, I may have gone ahead and bought PAX tickets and registered. :X

Folks who have played Netrunner or the other LCG's: How bad does netdecking get in the meta for these? I know it's unavoidable that people can do a ton of research and will want to be competitive, but I'm wondering/hoping that the dynamic of the 7 clans will lead to potentially a more diverse meta even at higher competitive levels.

For example and random thought: Reading about the Grand Kotei, there are awards both for being the BEST player, but also for being the best player from your specific clan. This makes me wonder if it might be rewarding to, say, try to build a competitive Unicorn deck just to place on top of the Unicorn, even if it's middling at best in the larger field.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Folks who have played Netrunner or the other LCG's: How bad does netdecking get in the meta for these? I know it's unavoidable that people can do a ton of research and will want to be competitive, but I'm wondering/hoping that the dynamic of the 7 clans will lead to potentially a more diverse meta even at higher competitive levels.

For example and random thought: Reading about the Grand Kotei, there are awards both for being the BEST player, but also for being the best player from your specific clan. This makes me wonder if it might be rewarding to, say, try to build a competitive Unicorn deck just to place on top of the Unicorn, even if it's middling at best in the larger field.

We don't know yet, but as I've already seen Jigoku being set up as a mirror to Jinteki, I would expect netdecking and testing and such will be pretty common. It is kind of a side effect of the card pool being available to everyone.

Also: Unicorn are just middling in 1 core. In 3 core we're really strong... but I always encourage more Unicorn players! :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Well, right now I'm trying to see if I can make Dragon work as a non-Voltron deck. In single core I was able to play pretty competitively as a weird defensive, swarmy deck. But I don't know if that'll stand in 3 core or not.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    This is the age of the internet, there's gonna be tons of netdecking for any game, unless it's a game nobody is playing.

People seem to be playing the new version of L5R. :P

Yeah, fair. I guess my hope is that the split across 7 different deck levels of competition at least diversifies the meta a bit. If you can't beat the full board at the meta, you can try to come out as your clan's champion instead.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I would expect most players to hunt for top placement, but the fact that top-of-clan has big prizes makes for a really interesting meta shift.

There was plenty of netdecking and bandwagonning in the old game (which had more reasons to stay clan loyal than this one).

cckerberos.png
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Clan loyalty is definitely a thing in L5R. Some players get attached to their favorite clans and will continue to play them even in a meta where they are presented as weak. It's kind of a double edge sword, though. If your faction was considered weaker in the meta, then you didn't get teched against and you could edge out placing well because of it.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
    edited October 2017
    Organized play has some nice things to encourage loyalty in this game instead of being a mercenary. The biggest thing being that after these tournaments cut to top 16, the highest member of each clan that did not make the cut get added to the single elimination bracket. That means if your clan is underpowered or gimped and you place 50th but if you're still the highest Crab clan member (or the only other ones higher already made the cut) you're in! I think that's a cool idea.

I need some tokens for this game. I realized during the launch events that the whole moving tokens around to rings and trading honor is an invitation to end up not having any of your tokens at the end of the event due to the confusion. The litko tokens look pretty cool overall. The broken egg ones look gorgeous but they're pretty expensive. I really like the Covenant sakura tokens (and the fact that they're double sided) but you can't get them except for a subscription. I'm torn on where to go.

ChaosHat on
    I don't know that it'll completely work, but I think it's a bold strategy to at least try to keep the meta from being completely FotM and I'm pleased someone is trying something different to see what can be fixed.

Metagame consolidation is always gonna be a thing in a game of sufficient size. FFG has a decent track record of keeping their LCGs from being broken* and having versatile metas** and it seems like a lot of weight is being put behind L5R. Which hopefully includes a lot of competitive playtesting.

*short-term exception for GoT 1e.

**long-term exception for Netrunner, others

edited October 2017
    I had actually missed that the Clan challenger thing was a thing. (It picks up the highest ranked remaining player post-Magistrate phase cut from each faction to go on to Day 2.) That’s actually pretty cool. Top-ranked player from each faction also gets Hatamoto’d at Koteis too, so even if your faction is down in power you’d get something too.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    I had actually missed that the Clan challenger thing was a thing. (It picks up the highest ranked remaining player post-Magistrate phase cut from each faction to go on to Day 2.) That’s actually pretty cool. Top-ranked player from each faction also gets Hatamoto’d at Koteis too, so even if your faction is down in power you’d get something too.

Yeah I think it'll be awesome at Worlds. The 7 highest remaining clan entrants go in a one game playoff against the bottom 7 of the top 16, so it's like a wild card game to play into the playoff bracket. There'll be some pretty cool upsets hopefully from some clans considered at the bottom *cough*unicorn*cough*

I. Hate. All. Of. You.

Did you guys see the cardgamedb review of the Unicorn cards? Such brutality. Their best cards are pretty much all conflict cards so you don't even have to play them to use them.

ChaosHat wrote: »
    Did you guys see the cardgamedb review of the Unicorn cards? Such brutality. Their best cards are pretty much all conflict cards so you don't even have to play them to use them.

and they're still a worse splash than Dragon or Crab.

(sorry Athenor at this point I'm just dunking you for the sake of dunking you.)

admanb wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »

and they're still a worse splash than Dragon or Crab.

(sorry Athenor at this point I'm just dunking you for the sake of dunking you.)

Fiveringsdb should just automatically title unicorn decks as GlueFactory.deck

The main advantage of Unicorn is that all their characters can run away from the battles they'll inevitably lose.

The funny thing is they can't, all their cards are move TO the conflict. They can't even figure out how to turn the horses around.

You can lead a horse to water, but leading it away from water is f**king impossible.

edited October 2017
    Seriously though, I think Unicorn gets a bad rap. They at least break their own province so the game can be over faster for everyone. That's a classy move.

ChaosHat on
    Oh hey, something just popped up on the Upcoming page. For Honor and Glory, looks like the second pack of the Imperial Cycle. If I were to guess, it'll probably be announced tomorrow?

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited October 2017
    So apparently there has been some leaked retailer email from ffg.

Crazy if true. Part of me is like "that's awesome" but my wallet is kind of like "no it's not!". On the other hand, if this means the meta settles and they don't release anything for a few months that might be cool but it seems like a way to hurt momentum and make it intimidating for new players. I do feel like they should do fewer, bigger boxes.

Thoughts?

ChaosHat on
    Insane if true. I've suspected for a while that the core box doesn't really represent the game as they want it to be, and it's no secret the FFG playtests and manufactures the product all at the same time. But.. jeez. That kind of rollout is insane. No breathing room, no time to "Absorb" the meta until its final state. Luckily it will happen after Worlds.

It also makes me wonder when the next cycle will come.

Athenor wrote: »
    Insane if true. I've suspected for a while that the core box doesn't really represent the game as they want it to be, and it's no secret the FFG playtests and manufactures the product all at the same time. But.. jeez. That kind of rollout is insane. No breathing room, no time to "Absorb" the meta until its final state. Luckily it will happen after Worlds.

It also makes me wonder when the next cycle will come.

My overall opinion (since I'm in a position to afford this) is that it's good. I would prefer bursts of cards to the constant slow trickle to let a meta form and stabilize for a couple/few months. I also think it's particularly necessary for this game since the dynasty deck choices are so thin since (relative to netrunner, the only other lcg I've played) there's very little room to import other cards from the other factions. This also means most clans tease out other play styles but can't actually do anything with them (Crane Dueling/honor victory) or they are divided among two not necessarily complementary play styles (Crab sacrifice/holdings)

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    It's insane, no question, but probably healthy as well since any game needs a bit more variety than the core provides. If they build the packs well (letting people just pick up what they really need to for now) and delay any more releases for 3-6 months, it may be a good move.

edited October 2017
    One a week is fucking dumb. There's going to be packs where I don't even get to play a single time before the next block of product comes out. They're playing games to keep per pack costs and per box costs at a level, I guess, but it seems bizarre.

The obvious question is "why not bundle packs together to do less frequent content drops" and the answer has to do with retail sales magic stuff.

Darkewolfe on
    One a week is fucking dumb. There's going to be packs where I don't even get to play a single time before the next block of product comes out. They're playing games to keep per pack costs and per box costs at a level, I guess, but it seems bizarre.

The obvious question is "why not bundle packs together to do less frequent content drops" and the answer has to do with retail sales magic stuff.

I'd rather they do them all at once. But, if this means you have a bunch of people going to the flgs once a week for six weeks on release day, and your flgs is canny enough to run an event that day, add a 10% off discount for prepaying for the six and well baby, you got a community going.

I read that as specifically being just for the Imperial Cycle, and that it might go back to normal afterwards.

Which... yeah, I think I’m down for some ROLLING THUNDER MOTHERFUCKERS. Gets the game’s card pool up and running faster without having to wait.

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited October 2017
    Oh hey there’s the official article on it.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/11/the-imperial-cycle/

Holy shit, Consumed by Five Fires.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited October 2017
    I COULD HUG THAT PROVINCE!

Edit: Fuck. An event to change the attacked province, or an attachment to change the defended province. That's HUGE.

Athenor on
    I read that as specifically being just for the Imperial Cycle, and that it might go back to normal afterwards.

Which... yeah, I think I’m down for some ROLLING THUNDER MOTHERFUCKERS. Gets the game’s card pool up and running faster without having to wait.

I'm not so sure. The last time L5R did Rolling Thunder it was kind of a disaster.

cckerberos.png