As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Call of Duty] BLOPS IIII out now, and pretty good despite Activision's best efforts.

• MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Cap got raised again (notably adding the Thompson and Mauser automatic) and looks like they threw in Kill Confirmed for the moshpit list. Love that launchers have scavenger built-in now too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YKIpBJEIFI

Mechanical on
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Played a few hours so far. I think I like it, but I want to put in some more time this weekend to be sure.

Also, they gave me 2 extra beta codes for Xbox if anyone is interested.

Could I get one ? I'm intrigued by a return to non-wall running CoD.

Thanks.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Played a few hours so far. I think I like it, but I want to put in some more time this weekend to be sure.

Also, they gave me 2 extra beta codes for Xbox if anyone is interested.

Could I get one ? I'm intrigued by a return to non-wall running CoD.

Thanks.

Sent you a message.

After a couple days of playing ... eh I don't know. Had some good matches, and some not good matches. I kind of dig the whole Division system, the maps are okay, the guns are okay. But there's just a couple things that turn me off. I don't know much about netcode but it seemed there were plenty of instances of me lining my gun on their chest and firing a dozen rounds and getting nothing but hit markers. And with both teams in brown and gray and the maps full of brown and gray it can be a real pain seeing people.

Not sure if I'm on board or not.

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    so I played some of the PC beta because I don't have a new console.

Is pretty good

I like making snipers angry with LMG wallbanging in war mode

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Tried it. I think it'll make the boots on the ground folks happy. Very competent and feels like old CoD.

That said...it reaffirmed that I liked the BLOPS3 style jump jets and sliding.

And maybe its because of the shooters I've been playing recently but it just felt kind of slow.

Dragkonias on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Holy shit, that demo is a stuttering mess in my pc. Got a GTX970 and an i5 4590 and it's unplayable. I was only able to play a "match". It looks nice but I agree with Dragkonias. It just isn't my kind of COD. I'll try to troubleshoot my system and see if I can fix that stuttering...

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I'm playing it easily on a 770 and a weaker i5, have you lowered your settings or capped the framerate?

Also I found a pretty bad bug. The training that shows people's names at long range doesn't take non-permanent cover into consideration so you can kill people through the constructable walls in war mode, as well as line up your shot prefectly through the tank then pop out and pop them.

I rebuilt the walls at the ammo depot, and just mowed people down with a LMG with FMJ when they tried to defuse. It needs to get fixed if they want that playmode to work.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    When everyone has wallhax no one has wallhax

• LindLind Registered User regular
    The semiauto shotgun (3rd one) is bonkers. I love it :biggrin:

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    This actually looks really fun! Wish it launched with that game mode or something...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WKM9nFCx6A

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Paging @MayGodHaveMercy everything good?

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »

not sure how often (if at all) mercy's on the forums anymore, but I played D2 with him the other night and he was good.

on topic: I played the pc beta of this, and CoD is hard to go back to after D2. It just doesn't...feel good to play. I don't know how to explain it more than that.

Understandable. Bungie is top tier when it comes to FPS gameplay.

On consoles anyway, I wasn't able to play the PC beta, but I assume the gameplay of Destiny transitions well to PC.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    that's funny, I find d2 is a pile of slow and it just makes me wish I was playing good Halo instead of watered down Halo, though I'm playing on console that might explain the molasses veneer.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    edited October 2017
    twmjr wrote: »
    iRevert wrote: »

not sure how often (if at all) mercy's on the forums anymore, but I played D2 with him the other night and he was good.

on topic: I played the pc beta of this, and CoD is hard to go back to after D2. It just doesn't...feel good to play. I don't know how to explain it more than that.

I know he isn't on PA that often, I messaged him on steam as well.

Mainly checking up to make sure everything is kosher with him after the past 24 hours with what went on in his neck of the woods.

iRevert on
    Any of you have Mercy on PS or Xbone or whatever console he normally plays on?

• SecretagentmanSecretagentman Registered User regular
    I played some Blops3 with (somewhat drunk) Mercy last night.

PSN: matter_ic
    Professional forum lurker
    I played some Blops3 with (somewhat drunk) Mercy last night.

Good to hear, just wanted to check in on him as he hadn't been online for about a week after that thing.

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I think I may pick this up. I haven't bought a CoD game since . . . the original Black Ops? This game looks like a fun change of pace from Destiny, and probably more solo player friendly.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
    CoD MP will definitely be a massive step up from Crucible.

Yeah, I'm a bit miffed that I don't really have A shooter for this year. SWBF2's beta was a bit bland for me. Then again tbf, Battlefield's MP never did anything for me. WW2 is just a setting I don't like that much. I was waiting for PC Destiny 2 but reading reactions everywhere I don't think I will like the "endgame". At this rate I think I'm gonna be sticking with TF2 and BLOPS3 for one more year.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    How many people can usually be in a party for the Zombies game mode?

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    How many people can usually be in a party for the Zombies game mode?

The max has always been 4, but the mode scales the number of spawns based off the number of players.

So it plays ok for even just 2 or 3 people?

So after realizing that I just don't have the skill to keep up in Titanfall I'm actually looking at COD WW2 again. I only want to buy one MP shooter and it's between Destiny and COD again. I never PVPed on Destiny so...how is it vs COD? I did play the COD PC Beta and even though I don't like the setting that much, gameplaywise it feels fine. Any input would be appreciated.

Crucible in Destiny 2 is the most boring shit. It's down to 4v4 from 6v6, and they took away the ability to choose the game mode you want to play. Matchmaking seems to pick the same two modes, Destiny's version of kill confirmed, and domination. Matches take forever to finish, and almost never end because the score threshold was met.

If PvP is the deciding factor, definitely pick CoD. Overall you'd get more mileage out of Destiny with the PvE content. CoD's campaign should be fun and Zombies might be good for once, but Destiny has more stuff to do besides the PvP.

Thanks @Skull2185

I dunno if Destiny's PvE is my cup of tea. Sadly I can only game in 30 mins chunks these days. Doubt I can block 2 hours to do a raid so unless Strikes are the bestest thing ever, I doubt Destiny's PvE is exactly my cup of tea.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    That's part of why I can't get into Destiny 2. I don't have the time to level up my character to be good in multiplayer. With CoD, I play the multiplayer and get multiplayer unlocks. Simple, and if the unlock tree is anything like past CoD's they'll give you enough to be good right out of the gate.

The time to kill will be a lot quicker. This one felt on the longer side for CoD but compared to Destiny it will feel like you're being melted.

CoD is definitely better for 30 minute chunks. You can't get too much done in 30 minutes on Destiny. Strikes are cool, but there's only 6 of em. They also took away the ability to choose the strike you want to play. You can only use the strike playlist, and the matchmaking is borked or something. It only picks the same 2 or 3 strikes over and over...

I do like Destiny though! It just needs some work.

I've got this preloaded on Xbox One. Will be my first CoD since 2008.

Preloaded on PS4 last Friday as well. Kinda surprising, but now it's sitting there ready to go.

• Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Oh we can preload now? Cool! Already took Friday off work.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    CoD is definitely better for 30 minute chunks. You can't get too much done in 30 minutes on Destiny. Strikes are cool, but there's only 6 of em. They also took away the ability to choose the strike you want to play. You can only use the strike playlist, and the matchmaking is borked or something. It only picks the same 2 or 3 strikes over and over...

I do like Destiny though! It just needs some work.

D2 isn't bad as a disposable but with the lack of ranking and the fact that your gear has pretty much no impact a lot of people fell off of it after about a week.

New CoD while it's more of the same really looks like it's actually a step backwards in terms of gameplay which is a good thing in my books, I'm going to see how it plays out at launch and then decide if it's worth it or not.

A 1.03 patch for CoD WWII dropped yesterday. Which is weird since the game isn't out yet, but maybe they're just pushing it out so it's ready for Friday. Even weirder is that the file size was 9GB, but it dropped to 3GB after I paused and resumed the download.

And in a douchey move, you will not get the customary "bonus map" (Carentan in this case) for preodering or buying day 1. This time you have to purchase the season pass in order to recieve the bonus map.

I’m probably what’s wrong with gaming...but I really want to see if there is in fact no camos for weapons. Also, I’m kinda debating if ill go PC this time. My PS Plus just expired and I’m barely touching my PS4 these days. A 60$ tax on top of getting the game on day 1 kinda sucks.

There's most likely going to be camos. Sledgehammer did confirm that weapons would come in variants (because of course supply drops) but they would only be cosmetic. Which is OK in my book. Infinite Warefare's variant weapons were such a brain dead idea... Like, who really thought an NV4 with infinite damage range was a good idea?

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    my guess would be dev manager who wanted to use the NV4 with infinite damage range

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    Well, we should all spit gum in their hair because it was stupid!

edited October 2017
    Man I tried to play IW these last couple of weeks and I just can’t. It isn’t even the janky movement. There’s something about the aesthetic that rubs me the wrong way. Not even Ghost was this blah to me.

WW2 beta was alright but I’m gonna wait a bit. The PC beta still felt very SMG heavy due to the maps.

Edit: a bit meaning a couple of hours if possible ohohoho

lionheart_m on
  • caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    There's most likely going to be camos. Sledgehammer did confirm that weapons would come in variants (because of course supply drops) but they would only be cosmetic. Which is OK in my book. Infinite Warefare's variant weapons were such a brain dead idea... Like, who really thought an NV4 with infinite damage range was a good idea?

I think they have said, that variants would be cosmetic only in the launch window

I'm like 99% sure that they won't stay that way.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat