As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South 2018 Challenge Coin - Contact Kiddercorp for coins!

RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
edited April 2018 in PAX South
April 11th Edit:

I have finished ordering though here for the coins, but I know that Kiddercorp has extra colour and regular coins for sale if people would like them. Please contact them directly!

Jan 9th Edit:

All colour coins of the first run have been sold out! There are still regular coins available!

You may still order colour coins and if we get enough interest, we will make a second run!

Any coins ordered after January 4th will arrive after PAX

Dec 17th Edit:

Proofs of the coin for people who have not seen it
ognzdq4057by.jpg

Dec 13th Edit:

Order form is live!!

Please send your full payment to marty@kccoin.com via PayPal before filling out order form.

Regular Challenge Coins cost: 5$ USD

Colour Challenge Coins cost 6$ USD

Shipping Information:

UNITED STATES RESIDENTS:

Shipping costs are $3 USD for 1 to 3 coins, and $4 USD for 4 to 6 coins. Shipping for 7+ coins is $6 USD.

INTERNATIONAL RESIDENTS (outside of the US):

Shipping costs are $15 USD for 1 to 6 coins. Shipping for 7+ coins is $31 USD.

https://goo.gl/forms/aRqxkPjMjtWurk1h1

Dec 6th Edit:

Since we are waiting on Kiddercorp to get back to us, we can start gauging interest.

Fill out the form if you're interested in coins!!

https://goo.gl/forms/4DAqlqTFX42Rfw6A2

Nov 28th Edit:

We are reviewing Kiddercorp's artwork

Nov 2nd Edit:

New poll!!

Rank the finishes in order from 1-4 :)

https://goo.gl/forms/1q9iJqe8cJ6i0ndg1

Poll will end Nov 6th at 7pm CST

Oct 27th Edit:

New Poll!!

Ribbed or Smooth edge?

Colour, regular, or both?

What should the finish be?

Vote!

Poll ends Oct 31st at 8pm CST

Oct 25th Edit:

Option 3 has won with 77.6% of the vote!

October 18th Edit:

It's time!

I got all of the photos in and you can now vote on a photo for the location side of the coin. We have a lot of options this year! We will have this up for 1 week (voting ends October 25th at 8pm CST)

Spread the word!

https://goo.gl/forms/EwbIUdhNYDCG1bhM2

Hello all! It is about that time of year again to discuss the PAX South 2018 Challenge Coin!!!!!

Last year, we had a reeded edge, an Antique Silver finish, and was a 1.75 inch size. Our location was The Convention Center and the gaming side was the Konami code, which you can see here.

I am open to any suggestions on the aspects of the coin. We can also decide to do two coins again or just regular or just colour.

For those who do not know about the PAX Challenge Coin tradition, you can check it out here: http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/PAX_Challenge_Coin

Last year, I invited people to submit photos for a chance to win a coin. Only one person sent me an e-mail and it was of a statue that's near the convention center.

So, from now until 8pm CST Sunday evening, you can message me an image from San Antonio that you feel would make a good image for the location side of the coin. I will then set up a poll.

OtyHMcu.jpg
RILMS on

• mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley DominariaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    As a native from SA (now in NorCal), there are some other items that would be cool to see....the Alamo, the Tower of the Americas, the Riverwalk. @RILMS I will be down in SA next week, so I can snap some photos of these monuments for you to use if you want. Not sure what is needed here...

mnemonictutor on
    qbqtLfO.png
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The Tower of the Americas and The Alamo were used on the first and second South coins respectively.

• mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley DominariaRegistered User regular
    maybe the riverwalk? @RILMS

qbqtLfO.png
  • RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the Riverwalk would be a good one :) I look forward to your photos :)

OtyHMcu.jpg
    @RILMS Sure thing...I will be in SA next week, so it will be sometime late next week. Question: I don't think we can send large image attachments on here, so if you want to PM me your email, I can send them there. I'll also try to think of some other landmarks (like the other missions - other than the Alamo) that might work. Thanks!

qbqtLfO.png
    I hear there is a giant pair of cowboy boots outside of the North Star Mall in San Antonio?
    That seems Texan.

@SutibunRi The boots are there, and while they are 'stereotypically Texan', hardly anyone wears those anymore in the cities of Texas, such as San Antonio. The city is much better identified by the rich cultural mix that exists there today. The riverwalk is a great example of a singular 'tourist attraction' where most of what is great about San Antonio blends together. It is especially awesome in winter time when they hang lights from all of the trees that line the river's edges. It's too bad that PAX is just a few weeks past when the night lights are a thing. I believe they turn them off shortly after new year, otherwise it would be a great thing for fellow PAXen to see.

qbqtLfO.png
    @RILMS Sure thing...I will be in SA next week, so it will be sometime late next week.

That's fine, I don't mind waiting :)

OtyHMcu.jpg
    In the mean time, if you have any ideas for the Gaming Side, please suggest!

In the past, we did guitars, gaming dice, and the Konami code

OtyHMcu.jpg
    The next step is obviously the Super Konami Code.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Can we just get Bucees on a coin somehow? It's all anybody really needs.

Can we just get Bucees on a coin somehow? It's all anybody really needs.

I do love me some Buc-ee's... :D

OtyHMcu.jpg
    If there are any major game releases coming out around then, that could be a theme. I read somewhere that there is a new Goldeneye coming? We also have the new SNES Classic Mini that just released. That could be a thing. It would be cool to throw a nod to some emu-gaming - perhaps something like a MAME cabinet or Raspberry Pi Retro-pi machine?

qbqtLfO.png
    edited October 2017
    What about having "Would you kindly", a Mario Star, or the PAX coat of arms?

RILMS on
    OtyHMcu.jpg
    RILMS wrote: »
    What about having "Would you kindly"?

Sure - do we have a major Bioshock release coming soon? Or maybe one just passed? I don't follow that game too closely. TBH, today I mostly play retro games, any Final Fantasy that comes out (not online), and some fun Switch games.

qbqtLfO.png
  • futilesfutiles Registered User regular
    YAY!! I love my challenge coins. Excited to see this thread.

RILMS wrote: »
    What about having "Would you kindly"?

Sure - do we have a major Bioshock release coming soon? Or maybe one just passed? I don't follow that game too closely. TBH, today I mostly play retro games, any Final Fantasy that comes out (not online), and some fun Switch games.

No clue...I like using iconic gaming things for the coins, it doesn't have to be relevant :)

OtyHMcu.jpg
    It's dangerous to go alone! Take this...coin.

qbqtLfO.png
  • BadCrumpanyBadCrumpany Registered User regular

lol, I like this. Don't know what is allowed to be put on there, but could have the "Take This" quote and then have link holding up a challenge coin maybe. I see all kinds of shirts and posters that have that iconic "holding up" pose with whatever item places are focused on.

lol, I like this. Don't know what is allowed to be put on there, but could have the "Take This" quote and then have link holding up a challenge coin maybe. I see all kinds of shirts and posters that have that iconic "holding up" pose with whatever item places are focused on.

I like that idea...given the release of BOTW, Zelda is back in the spotlight. Treating the challenge coin like the sword given to Link, or even a Sheikah Slate is cool...

qbqtLfO.png
    Just as a FYI, I have not posted a poll for the location photos yet because one community member asked for a deadline as they will be in San Antonio this week. I will put up a poll for it next week.

So far, suggestions for the Gaming side are:

SNES Classic Mini
    MAME cabinet
    Raspberry Pi Retro-pi machine
    Would you kindly"
    Mario Star
    PAX coat of arms
    It's dangerous to go alone! Take this

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • UnimatrixZeroUnimatrixZero Cult Leader / Cosplay Photographer El Paso, TXRegistered User regular
    Tossing in the idea of something Cuphead / Persona related. Phantom Thieves Logo or Cuphead on one side.

• lilbabslilbabs Registered User new member
    Throwing the Zelda fairy out there

• UnimatrixZeroUnimatrixZero Cult Leader / Cosplay Photographer El Paso, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    z3gf5szu0mh6.jpg

bfxrihjepo3j.jpg

Lazy Suggestions I mocked up. I'm sure someone could do more/fit more on there to make them worthwhile. My lazy mockups feel empty. I haven't played BotW, but I suspect it would make a good coin with the right effort put in.

UnimatrixZero on
  • futilesfutiles Registered User regular
    I have a HUGE fan of the "Take this coin" quote, and some type of Zelda image/reference.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    those suggestions are very pretty!

However, I don't believe the community has permission to use copyrighted imagery from the copyright holders. Generally the coin organizers and the community have tried their best to potentially reference something rad that might be copyrighted without using copyrighted imagery.

edited October 2017
    I had a suspicion the copyright would limit what could be done. It would be cool if someone could get the official OK, but with Cuphead already having deals with vendors I don't see that happening. I wonder what else could be done. I have a deep hatred of the meeple shape, but I'd toss that out there as well, as a board gaming icon.

cd34kl125fi5.png

Looks like it's been done, before, too. Maybe something JRPG/DND? Overwatch/Heroes of the Storm, maybe.

UnimatrixZero on
    Idealy, I'd like the words to bend with the shape of the coin, but I couldn't figure out how to do that. But, what do people think of this?

sl5nqj0vjvre.jpg

OtyHMcu.jpg
    It's time!

I got all of the photos in and you can now vote on a photo for the location side of the coin. We have a lot of options this year! We will have this up for 1 week (voting ends October 25th at 8pm CST)

Spread the word!

https://goo.gl/forms/EwbIUdhNYDCG1bhM2

OtyHMcu.jpg
    Note: Option three on the poll was changed to better reflect what would be in the middle of the coin. You can change your vote if you want :)

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • crashmurphycrashmurphy Registered User regular
    Looking forward to these! I think all the pics are great! Also, @RILMS, that crest is rad.

dkmbNgP.png
  • mackem_danmackem_dan Registered User new member
    awesome idea, looking forward to these, and the crest is cool

I am looking forward to the coin as well!!

Also, I didn't create the crest, but it is awesome :)

OtyHMcu.jpg
    Last day to vote!!

OtyHMcu.jpg
    With 67 people responding, Option 3 has won with 77.6% of the vote!!

naal3fy63tdz.png

The part that is in the red circle will be on the coin (providing it works with Kiddercorp)

Thank you everyone who voted!

OtyHMcu.jpg
    edited October 2017
    New Poll!!

Ribbed or Smooth edge?

Colour, regular, or both?

What should the finish be?

Vote!

Poll ends Oct 31st at 8pm CST

RILMS on
    OtyHMcu.jpg
  • rickman33rickman33 Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Dang. We already had the Riverwalk in the picture of the Convention Center last year. I almost would like something generic like the state of Texas or the Texas Flag. After all, it's PAX SOUTH, not necessarily PAX San Antonio. So, I don't think it would be a bad idea to do something not specific to San Antonio. Oh well, we already took it to a vote.
    When we get to the videogame side, if we can't get too specific like putting Cuphead on there, maybe just have a picture of different controllers- an old Atari joystick, a typical modern controller, and a VR headset? Mouse and keyboard?

rickman33 on
    I suppose so, but it was really focused on the convention center.

There is an argument to be made...but typically, the PAX coins take inspiration from the city they take place in (Seattle, Boston, San Antonio, Philadelphia, Melbourne). But, maybe next year if you argue the idea strong enough :)

As for the gaming side, check out what has been done in the past on the wiki: http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/PAX_Challenge_Coin

OtyHMcu.jpg
    Voting for options has ended! 26 people have voted :)

t1gnf12vmbey.png

For the finish, things are a bit more complicated

Satin Gold
    antique gold
    Black nickel
    black nickel
    Gooooold
    Chrome
    Dyeing dyeing black, white antique silver, black and or black nickel in that order
    Black Nickle
    Antique Copper
    gold or silver
    gold
    Black Nickle
    Gold, silvre, or chrome
    GOLD
    Gold for one, silver for the other. Would be fun to have two separate to make people want to buy one of each. Too alike and people might just want one or the other.
    gold
    Antique Silver
    Antique bronze or gold
    Antique Silver
    Gold
    gold or chrome
    Gold
    Gold or Satin Gold
    antique silver or black nickel
    gold
    Chrome

Satin Gold - 1.5
    antique gold - 1
    Black nickel - 4.33
    Gold - 9.83
    Chrome - 2.83
    dyeing black - 1
    Antique Copper - 1
    Silver - 3.13
    Antique Silver - 2.5
    Antique bronze - .5

What do you guys think?

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2017
    I would say a new survey with Gold, Black Nickel, Silver, and Chrome. Have people to pick a first, second, and third choice, and tally points (3 for a first choice pick, 2 for a second, 1 for a third).

zerzhul on