As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Gifted - An X-Men-Ass X-Men Show

BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
edited October 2017 in Social Entropy++
o1ddjdlvw5zz.jpg
Currently 2 episodes in, The Gifted is a new show on Fox set in a universe filled with mutants, but with no X-Men, after a sudden disappearance. It follows the Strucker family as they up in the Mutant Underground after their children manifest mutant abilities.

So far this is probably the best live action X-Men adaptation I've ever seen. It runs with the "mutants are hated and feared" tenant far more than any of the films and does so in a very grounded way. All of the Mutant powers also look great and it isn't afraid to use named characters as the main cast includes Blink, Thunderbird, Polaris and Eclipse who is TOTALLY NOT SUNSPOT.

I haven't seen too many folks talking about this show but it's real fuckin' good and y'all should watch it.

CYpGAPn.png
BlankZoe on

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Watch this very good show!

I genuinely like this show's version of the Sentinels

Pony on
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    wow way to quote me in the title and give me no credit

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    wow way to quote me in the title and give me no credit

Who?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    i'll kill you

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    So how CW is this show exactly?

Because going by that image, it looks extremely

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Veldrin wrote: »

I don't know, lets ask the Gifted expert @Blankzilla.

I think he's the only poster in here, besides Pony, who watches it.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Not very, actually

Like it is Soap-y but not in that CW way, way more actual X-Men comics soap-y

CYpGAPn.png
    I would not say the show is CWish at all

There's no love triangles, no characters arbitrarily keeping secrets for drama, no characters angsting about whether or not they're doing The Right Thing

People immediately do what they believe is right. They say sorry when they believe they've done wrong. They forgive who they think deserve it. They love who they love.

They behave like people instead of weird TV characters, which is nice

Like for example (spoilers for the first two episodes)
    Reed and Caitlin do not question protecting their children or that Sentinel Services are bad or that going on the run is necessary. Not for a second.

Marcos and Lorna love each other. Marcos makes some independent decisions without consulting John and John gets pissed about it, but you understand why and John forgives him.

We find out Lorna is pregnant and Marcos is the father.
    Period. This isn't a question or a point of drama aside from her pregnancy itself being dramatic. But that Marcos is the father isn't a question. Lorna and Marcos didn't know, but that's quite likely because she's very early and they only found out as a result of her jail medical.

In a shittier show these things might have played different. Not here.

honestly what sold me forever was them using the genosha neck restraints to fuck up mutant powers

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Ok cool, that's good to hear.

I'll be checking this out.

honestly what sold me forever was them using the genosha neck restraints to fuck up mutant powers

I was watching episode 2 with my brother who is a huge X-Men fan and when the collars showed up he was like oh shiiiiiiii

edited October 2017
    Wait, do I need to have watched Apocalypse before this, or is it all just pretty ambiguous references?

Veldrin on
    Wait, do I need to have watched Apocalypse before this?
    Nah it's not in the movie universe

CYpGAPn.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Just started watching this on Hulu. This shit is great.

Thanks for the recommendations!

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Yep, enjoying this a lot so far. I mean, I'll watch Amy Acker in almost anything, but I'd watch this even without her.

I know it's very early days and it may be the novelty, but I'm already looking forward to this more than the Arrowverse shows except for maybe Legends since that looks to be going properly off the rails in the best possible way again this season.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Only had one episode so far over here in the UK but yeah it's very solid, jumping boots first into the whole thing when it'd be easy to try and tiptoe around the comics bit. What really got me funnily enough was a ringtone in that first episode.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    So I have a couple questions

1) is this set in the same "universe" as Legion

2) is Legion actually good, because I haven't watched it yet but heard some things

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Olivaw wrote: »
    So I have a couple questions

1) is this set in the same "universe" as Legion

2) is Legion actually good, because I haven't watched it yet but heard some things

99.99999999999999999% not based on costume and technology etc

Legion is very good

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Polaris is the best Marvel character

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think they're putting things at a very vague "might be in the movie universe, might not"

I mean, we have no idea what's going on in the movie universe in 2017, and we might not learn that for quite some time

So they've left a lot of things ambiguous

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I think they're putting things at a very vague "might be in the movie universe, might not"

I mean, we have no idea what's going on in the movie universe in 2017, and we might not learn that for quite some time

So they've left a lot of things ambiguous

Adverts are explicitly saying it is set in the X-men universe. They do however avoid outright saying the word movie in said adverts and then the setting is being kept sufficiently vague for it to never need to properly interact in anyway...they name drop but that is about it. It seems like they are to a certain extent trying to have their cake and eat it too at least for now. Legion was also deliberately vague but it didn't make claims to connectivity in either the positive or negative.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    My husband was thrilled last episode because maybe ten minutes after he mentioned that he could have sworn that in the comics Polaris had green hair, Polaris in the show washed the black dye out of her green hair.

I'm really enjoying they way they deal with they way people react to mutants. It seems to really nail the message from the comics. The blatant hatred from some, the casual racism from others, the people who don't initiate violence who quietly look away. And the way the mutants themselves have to survive in this world. Allegory to the gills.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The only part of the show that I'm not in love with right now is
    the Polaris prison sequence.

I think the show has been doing an overall good job with having intersectional mutants (I believe the only white male mutant we've seen so far is Andy), but releasing Polaris into a gen-pop that's full of non-mutant women of color begins to get to that weird point where the mutant metaphor is butting right up against what it's a metaphor for. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it has definitely created a bit of cognitive friction, for me at least.

I have a mega crush on Polaris already

CYpGAPn.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Wonder if Polaris still is Magneto's daughter in this, or if they're just using the name, powers, and green hair.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Wonder if Polaris still is Magneto's daughter in this, or if they're just using the name, powers, and green hair.
    She is confirmed to be Magneto's daughter in interviews

CYpGAPn.png
    man, magneto settin' up franchises in the movie universe, yo

like he has quicksilver and his sister who may or may not be wanda

he has his daughter in X-Men Apocalypse

Polaris

Erik, buddy

learn to bag your groceries

I'm wondering what the next X-Men tv show starring the child of one of the main characters from the X-Men films is going to be, personally

We gonna get a Raze Darkholme show or what?

I'm wondering what the next X-Men tv show starring the child of one of the main characters from the X-Men films is going to be, personally

excalibur

starring rachel grey phoenix

6vjsgrerts6r.png

excalibur

Okay but yes actually I would love this

If we could somehow get a TV budget Nightcrawler it could be a twofer

i am trying to will it into existence, i want it so much

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

excalibur

Okay but yes actually I would love this

If we could somehow get a TV budget Nightcrawler it could be a twofer

and Lockheed please

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
    i'd mix up excalibur teams and also have juggernaut and dazzler on the team too

6vjsgrerts6r.png

the end of ep 2
    is that a reference Essex Corporation

are we getting Sinister?

Xehalus wrote: »
    the end of ep 2
    is that a reference Essex Corporation

are we getting Sinister?

Maybe!
    The dude that Garrett Dillahunt is playing is Roderick Campbell/Ahab in the comics, who is tied to Rachel Summers backstory normally

Also the "siblings in Rio in the 60s" incident? Hrm.
    Maybe the Struckers aren't such an arbitrary name drop!

In the comics, the Strucker kids are not natural mutants, but are instead given the x-gene in utero by HYDRA scientist Arnim Zola.

Obviously Fox can't use Zola or HYDRA but they could directly reference the Boys From Brazil and Nazis,
    who we know from First Class were messing with mutants back in the day.

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I just started to watch this. There's a distinct lack of spandex uniforms and no X-Man. I won't hold it against the show though.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Macro9 wrote: »
    I just started to watch this. There's a distinct lack of spandex uniforms and no X-Man. I won't hold it against the show though.

There are Sentinel robots that hunt mutants though. That has to count for something.
    Sure, they don't look like brightly colored giants. But the creepy giant spider aesthetic works pretty well for them.

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I'm onto the second episode. I liked the spider sentinels. I liked not sunspots ring tone. The opening scene for the second episode was nice. Feel bad for that girl.

Goddamn homo sapiens amirite

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    They should probably make way for homo superior

I wonder if they get to why the X-Men disappeared

or if they just mention Genosha offhand