As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rental question

ReznikReznik Registered User regular

I'm on month-to-month at my current apartment. I just got a new job and just found a new place to move into that is in a much better location. I can move into the new place December 1. However, I need to give notice to my current landlord still. I know I'm required to give 60 days notice and that today -> December 1 is less than 60 days. This all just kind of fell into place suddenly so I didn't even really think I might be moving until like last week, otherwise I would have given notice already.

What are my options? I've been a good tenant and have a good relationship with my current landlord, so I don't want to be a dick or break any agreements. But I also don't want to pay an extra month of rent for a place I won't be using.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
Forget it...

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Step one is to first tell your landlord all of this as soon as you can, and see what they say.

Personally, I'm thinking that there's a very strong chance they'll be fine with this, and you won't have to pay for December. If you have a good relationship with them and you've been a good tenant, a ~45 day notice is IMO still extremely reasonable.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    And if they don't let you do that, you have to pay for two apartments in December.

What is this I don't even.
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I'll be talking with my landlord as soon as I get back home from work. I'm hoping he'll be okay with things.

If I can find somebody to rent it does that have any standing legally or is that basically just a nice gesture that he could shoot down?

Not that I think he'll be a dick about things but I want to have as many bases covered as I can.

Forget it...
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Don't offer it up, see what your landlord says first.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    I'll be talking with my landlord as soon as I get back home from work. I'm hoping he'll be okay with things.

If I can find somebody to rent it does that have any standing legally or is that basically just a nice gesture that he could shoot down?

Not that I think he'll be a dick about things but I want to have as many bases covered as I can.

Depends on locality laws and leases.

What is this I don't even.
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    See if there is a subletting clause in your lease. If it doesn't have one, sublet.

• BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    The other option, if your landlord declines to let you leave free and clear by Dec 1 is to ask your prospective landlord if Jan 1 is ok. Otherwise, yeah, you'll be paying double rent for December.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    you may not actually be required to give 60 days notice; many rental agreements say things that are not actually enforceable under local law (in most U.S. jurisdictions the most that can actually be required is 30 days, for example), so check and see whether that's the case for you.

landlords are also generally required to attempt to re-rent an empty dwelling in lieu of pursuing a vacating tenant for rent; if you give notice now and he lines up another tenant to move in Dec. 10 (say), you may be in the clear anyway.

it's also not the worst thing to have an extra week or so to actually move; I dunno how they normally handle your billing but if they're willing to charge you for fractional months renting the current dwelling through dec. 13 might wind up saving you some stress.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    you may not actually be required to give 60 days notice; many rental agreements say things that are not actually enforceable under local law (in most U.S. jurisdictions the most that can actually be required is 30 days, for example), so check and see whether that's the case for you.

landlords are also generally required to attempt to re-rent an empty dwelling in lieu of pursuing a vacating tenant for rent; if you give notice now and he lines up another tenant to move in Dec. 10 (say), you may be in the clear anyway.

it's also not the worst thing to have an extra week or so to actually move; I dunno how they normally handle your billing but if they're willing to charge you for fractional months renting the current dwelling through dec. 13 might wind up saving you some stress.

You are required by law to give 60 days notice in Ontario, so the earlier advice in the thread is sound.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular

OMG this. If it's not a financial hardship, definitely take the extra two weeks of overlap to move. Shuttling things around over a few weeks is infinitely less stressful than a crash one-day or weekend move.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I told my landlord yesterday and he said he'd talk to the other landlords (it's a family owned building) but I haven't heard anything more yet.

So I'm still waiting to see what he says, but the overlap time is definitely an appealing option.

Right now I'm just trying to clean and pack as much as I can each day and keep the apartment in showable condition.

Forget it...
  • NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    My understanding of rental laws in Ontario but potentially not 100 percent accurate.

Technically for most people for notice, more than 60 days required, it’s at least 60 days and varies depending on your last day of the rental period. So if notice is partway through the month it’s more than 60 days.

There’s no lease so no sublet. You can do an assignment instead. Actually even with a lease you would want to do that as with a sublet unless you were considering moving back in a few months later. This is because with a sublet you still have legal responsibilities to the landlord. Granted most people aren’t familiar with the term assignment for renting so they just call it sublet.You need the landlord’s permission. They however can’t unreasonably deny you doing this.

The landlord is required to give you 24 hours notice of any showing unless you’ve moved somewhere else already. So no need to keep things 100 percent all the time if it ends up being too stressful.

Newblar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Got a call back from my landlord, he said December 1st is fine and they have no issue since I've been a good tenant. I offered to help find somebody anyway but he said they decided to reno the apartment and turn it into an airbnb.

Thanks everyone.

Forget it...