As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I just had trouble getting the overlord's leg and butt cape to stay on. Then the arms were equally a bitch. It was not a pleasant experience and I considered tossing it and just using the 3 old pewter lords I have ad overlords.

Give the plastic a wash with warm water and soap before you give up. Whenever I have an issue with getting glue to adhere, that's generally the cause.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I've used Testor's for many years (the black bottle with the thin applicator, I ditched the orange tubes ages ago) but I've recently come around on Tamiya cement, the brush applicator is extremely handy for tiny parts

I still use the Testor's for vehicles, though

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Quick pop quiz opinion.

I currently use two helbrutes and a predator anhillator as my heavy firepower contingent. The dreads are being replace by two plaugeburst crawlers. The question is do I swap the predator for a third plaugeburst crawler and have some points spare to spend elsewhere. I'm fairly sure the crawler is better in terms of point efficiency but I'm having something that's bs3 might help with a hit debuff list.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Quick pop quiz opinion.

I currently use two helbrutes and a predator anhillator as my heavy firepower contingent. The dreads are being replace by two plaugeburst crawlers. The question is do I swap the predator for a third plaugeburst crawler and have some points spare to spend elsewhere. I'm fairly sure the crawler is better in terms of point efficiency but I'm having something that's bs3 might help with a hit debuff list.

Do you have rerolls? Also the Plagueburst Crawler has DR and a daemon save making it super tough.

Other things to consider the weapons. The mortar is long range and a bit more strength than an AC but less than a las.

Also what are those points used for.

Sadly there are no special rerolls like Chaos has for the daemon engines.

Also remember you can use fire frenzy on those helbrutes if you can fit them back in. Double tap is good.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

I love the Red Scorpions colours but someone has clearly gone overboard on the histogram here…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I love the Red Scorpions colours but someone has clearly gone overboard on the histogram here…

I just want to know if it splits into two tanks. The front bit with the lighter weapons that moves all fast and zippy like, the other with the big guns that is slow but hits harder when it doesn't have to provide juice to the front half of the tank.

see317 wrote: »

I just want to know if it splits into two tanks. The front bit with the lighter weapons that moves all fast and zippy like, the other with the big guns that is slow but hits harder when it doesn't have to provide juice to the front half of the tank.

And it makes a super tank robot if you have multiples.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I assumed that was a given.

Norgoth wrote: »
    Quick pop quiz opinion.

Do you have rerolls? Also the Plagueburst Crawler has DR and a daemon save making it super tough.

Other things to consider the weapons. The mortar is long range and a bit more strength than an AC but less than a las.

Also what are those points used for.

Sadly there are no special rerolls like Chaos has for the daemon engines.

Also remember you can use fire frenzy on those helbrutes if you can fit them back in. Double tap is good.
    ++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [8 PL, 158pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: Alpha Legion

+ HQ +

Sorcerer in Terminator Armour [8 PL, 158pts]: Combi-bolter, Force axe, Mark of Nurgle, Prescience, Warptime

++ Supreme Command Detachment (Chaos - Daemons) [4 PL, 70pts] ++

+ HQ +

Herald of Nurgle [4 PL, 70pts]: Fleshy Abundance

++ Supreme Command Detachment (Chaos - Death Guard) [30 PL, 580pts] ++

+ HQ +

Malignant Plaguecaster [6 PL, 110pts]: Gift of Contagion, Putrescent Vitality

+ Lord of War +

Mortarion [24 PL, 470pts]: Blades of Putrefaction, Curse of the Leper, Miasma of Pestilence

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Death Guard) [64 PL, 1192pts] ++

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord [5 PL, 87pts]: Balesword, Fugaris' Helm, Plasma pistol

Daemon Prince of Nurgle [9 PL, 180pts]: Blades of Putrefaction, Malefic talon, The Suppurating Plate, Wings

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 44pts]
    . 8x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun
    . Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Heavy stubber
    . Cultist Champion: Autogun

Plague Marines [10 PL, 171pts]
    . Plague Champion: Plague knife, Plasma gun, Power fist
    . Plague Marine w/ boltgun
    . Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 120pts]: 20x Poxwalker

+ Heavy Support +

Chaos Predator [9 PL, 190pts]: Twin lascannon
    . Two lascannons: 2x Lascannon

Plagueburst Crawler [8 PL, 156pts]: 2x Entropy cannon, Heavy Slugger

Plagueburst Crawler [8 PL, 156pts]: 2x Entropy cannon, Heavy Slugger

++ Total: [106 PL, 2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

This the the current list. I've been playing a version with multimelta brutes instead and it's been extremely successful. The melee on the brutes has basically been wasted though, they've simply been gun platforms. Which of course the crawlers do much better and much much tougher. The basic idea is that Mortarion acts as a "tank" in the video game sense, absorbing a huge amount of firepower whilst the rest of my list caps objectives (cultists, pox walkers) destroys targets that threaten Mortarion (predator, brutes) or kills valuable targets (basically all the psykers).

The Chaos lord has Archcontaminator and is the warlord, his job is to back with the tanks doing his best 70point gulliman impression.

Obviously the predator only gets the re-roll ones benefit, so swapping it to another crawler gives me more out of my force multiplication, and three crawlers seems horrific to have to shift. The extra points would either bump up the marine squad (buy that second special weapon probably) or be used to upgrade the characters with combi weapons.

Couple more notes about the list.
    It lacks typhus but the pox walkers are still good as an objective holding unit (because no morale with obsec is good). They really shine here in being able to recycle your cultist screen (with the dead walk). I have managed to also use the dead walk, shoot an enemy unit off the table, daisy chain the new walkers up the table into range of another unit and start shooting them as well.

Terminator Sorc costa more points than a jump pack once but being often very far forward the extra surivablity helps. Obviously he exists to Warptime Mortarion.

Herald can heal Morty from a fairly reasonable distance (18" on that cast, and he can always advance because no guns). Of course in the crawler version it makes him also a makeshift techmarine. It's also an extra smite if needs be ( because four other pskyers ain't enough /sarcasm)

Marine squad gets a place for two reasons. They much more survivable than cultists against anti-infantry fire so their a useful unit to send off to cap an objective closer to your opponent. And also playing Death Guard with plauge marines just feels wrong.

Malignant Plaugecaster is an absolute beast of character at short range. It's not uncommon for him to smite, get his fallout, cast another spell, get another fallout and then throw a grenade. You can also be really clever with fallout. Because the ability is resolved after the power is resolved you can do stuff like position to smite one thing dead and then have the fallout kill another (he once killed two seperate dreadnoughts this way) or have the fallout target something the power cannot. (He's also killed off a Calexius by simply casting buffs on himself until it died).

Double claw flying prince with the plate as a good way to kill a lot marines real quickly. Being the Nurgle prince with DR and bumping his save to two makes him scarily tough to kill too. He and Mortarion are best bros (Hitting on 2s retooling 1s, wounding most infantry on 2's under Mortys aura -2 Ap 2 Dmg with 7 attacks will make Primaris real sad.)

This got a lot longer than I intended.

So just thinking but let me play with the list. Really one thing to consider is getting the Cultist into the AL detachment and using them there. I would have to do some rearranging.

But AL+Cultist is just so good with that -1 to hit. It makes them live longer and hold objectives. And nurgle cares not where the bodies come from for the Pox Walkers. Maybe split the PW for that.

Also the herald makes me think that the plagueburst is better as it is another daemon. The herald heals and also gives +1 strength in case something gets near them.

Looking that list I think the plagueburst is a better unit. You get the bonus plague weapon stuff. You can prescience with your sorc if you are near by and want to use that second spell. And you can heal with the herald.

Those extra points and some rearranging you can probably get the AL trait as well on those cultist.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So I have two boxes of immortals and one is older but still immortals and deathmarks but the bases are smaller on the older one. It is weird

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Not really. Immortals got moved up to the larger size when the new sizes were added. So you got one box from the old base sizes. It's easy enough to either buy addition large bases, or get a set of 3rd party base adapters that sizes them up.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited October 2017
    I just used the smaller bases for now. I'll switch them later when I have some extra money for bases.

Made a deathmark using the bits for necron warriors from the start collecting kit. I'm gonna need something to fill in the gaps. It looks pretty bad.

Would liquid green stuff be any good or should I use the putty to close up the gaps?

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I used green stuff but it took me forever to figure out how it worked
    I thought it was a two part putty? for the longest time until youtube showed me how it worked

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Depending on the size of the gaps liquid green stuff won't help that much or you'll need several layers as it contracts quite a bit when drying.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2017
    I've been meaning to try that liquid thingie that cures under UV light.

Echo on
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Liquid green stuff is shit for filling gaps. Good for making textures though.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular

My favourite thing about it?

There is NO troop transport capacity. It's just for shooting everything to death.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Tip for filling gaps:
    When scraping off mold lines, bits of sprue etc, keep all the tiny little bits of plastic dust and shavings.
    Mix with a bit of plastic cement and it’s great for filling gaps

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Or just use putty like a sane person!

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    My project tonight is something that I'm lovingly calling "They Told Me I Could Be Anything, So I Became A Boat."
    I'm taking an old school Dark Eldar Raider and a Talos and attempting to smash them together to make a Ravager. I'm hoping that, in multiple ways, the end results will be sick.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    After getting my butt kicked by IG the other day, I sat down and thought about it for a bit. Then got to work on what was in my bits box.
    909140_sm-Dakkanaughts.jpeg

So far I have 2 baleflamer Heldrakes, 2 plasma/missile helbrutes, a double butcher cannon/havoc launcher contemptor, a dual soulburner petard Decimator, and a Lord of Skulls. A Chaos Lord and Sorcerer on bikes in the back for buffs, a Warpsmith for repairs, and all the cultists I can squeeze in for the rest.

With a warptimed Skulltank and the Heldrakes, there’s 3 nasty threats with buff support hitting enemy lines turn 1, while everything else just shoots from range. Cultists protect the robots from getting tied up/DS alpha striked and do their best Iwo Jima impression on objectives. Everything is Iron Warriors so no cover saves.

If nothing else, it will make setting everything up on the board go faster.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    How many psyker abilities does Typhus get?

Stragint wrote: »
    How many psyker abilities does Typhus get?

Two

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    cast 2, deny 1, knows 2 spells and smite

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I have Huron Blackheart coming in the mail. My color scheme was basically red corsairs anyways so he should fit in easily for a few games. It'll be nice to have reroll 1's and prescience for my backline shooty guns on one lowish-points model instead of trying to fit a lord+sorcerer or daemon prince.

TIFunkalicious on
    Huron is a good unit for the points. Plus some free CPs from him.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Any ideas for making dark vengeance bikes look like chaos bikers? I have one with the ravenwing symbols shaved off and some spikes on the back but I can't do much about the bird wings up front

edited October 2017
    Any ideas for making dark vengeance bikes look like chaos bikers? I have one with the ravenwing symbols shaved off and some spikes on the back but I can't do much about the bird wings up front
    Couple of thoughts for general chaos...

Spikes and skulls are generally a good start. Maybe some chains with hooks on them? Pretty much any decorative bits a Dark Eldar player might have lying around.
    Maybe keep the front wings, but deface them with a dremel or exacto knife to scar them up, especially fun if you're playing against Ravenwing guys (Yeah, we stole your shit, now we're going to kill you with your own weapons).
    Chaos stars (or other chaos iconography) could look pretty good messily painted on the wings.
    Maybe drill a hole in one of the wings, then mount a loyalist space marine head in that hole? Maybe blood dribbles if it was mounted there fresh.

Maybe cut some plasticard to size, add some rivets or weld lines and cover the feathery wings with what would look like an extra plate of armor? Appropriately adorned to glorify the chaos god of your choice, naturally.
    Maybe a good sized skull in the center to hide the feathers/bird body there. Have to be careful to not look too orky though.

Head swaps on the biker for a more Chaos adorned head could help. Also assorted spikey shoulder bits as well.

Chaos up those exhaust pipes a bit? Add another one, maybe use some sprue bits lengthen them up and around, or cut them off short so they're louder, add horn shaped ends. Basically, watch West Coast Choppers and steal their ideas for the exhaust.

If you've got some small flat chaos icons (like these) use them on the tires over the tread, so every movement of the bike etches the marks of chaos or particular chaos god on the surface of the planet. Maybe that's more a Tzeentch thing than Khorne though.

Steal ideas from Mad Max or Doomsday and mount a crucified cultist between (or on) the wings.

see317 on
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Run the bikes as Emperors Children, they have a lot of wing iconography.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Built some new minis yesterday, two plaugebursts and Typhus (will be getting a third plaugeburst but you know, budget)

Plaugeburst are bigger than my predator. They are noticeably wider and taller. It's a very satisfying size. Kit is extremely detailed. There's a huge amount of weathering actually detailed onto it (scars and pitting and the like). The tracks actually have all of the engine sections sculpted to the side (which you immediately cover with armour plates). It has zero poseability however. Just an FYI however that the tracks are sculpted with their spikes for mud (a nice touch) the wrong way round. You can just use the track components on the opposite sides to fix it (which even GW did if you look at their painted examples).

Also built Typhus. I built a terminator Sorc out of the normal kit standing on the rock and Typhus is taller even with the base element. Again the detail is extremely impressive, and the sculpt looks 100% better in 3D.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

You can totally trim the bird wings off of the front if you don't mind not having that weird little guard in front of the handlebars (sorry my camera is so shitty):

IR9flS7.jpg

b4cea8U.jpg

You used to be able to get the three bikes for like $12, but now that Dark Vengeance is no longer widely available the price has been creeping up closer to $20. I was able to pick up five of them for almost nothing though, and have been in the process of removing all of the DA iconography so I could use them with my chapter. The unprimed one is an Attack Bike that I got in a craigslist deal but I haven't actually used any of them in a game yet so I have no idea how well bikes even perform in 8th ed.

You can totally trim the bird wings off of the front if you don't mind not having that weird little guard in front of the handlebars (sorry my camera is so shitty):

IR9flS7.jpg

b4cea8U.jpg

You used to be able to get the three bikes for like $12, but now that Dark Vengeance is no longer widely available the price has been creeping up closer to $20. I was able to pick up five of them for almost nothing though, and have been in the process of removing all of the DA iconography so I could use them with my chapter. The unprimed one is an Attack Bike that I got in a craigslist deal but I haven't actually used any of them in a game yet so I have no idea how well bikes even perform in 8th ed.

There honestly pretty overcosted and don't really have a place in lists. If you want tougher marines primaris are right there, if you want fast marines Scout Bikers are hands down better than normal marine bikers due to a rules quirk.

(Scout Bikers being able to take a shotgun means that because you can fire all your weapons, a unit of three scout bikers in rapid fire range fires 24 shots. And they have inquire strategems to them. And they cost less)

I was pretty set on putting together a Renegade Chapter brigade but the fast attack slot is vexing me. I feel like the other slots have units that love advance+charge or units that are good even if they don't benefit from it. I'm gonna try these bikers out but zooming across the map to put like 6 attacks on something seems self defeating

Bikes in general seem to be really too expensive in this edition.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Need some Tyranid rumors, please!

ForceVoid wrote: »
    Need some Tyranid rumors, please!

They're getting a new Start Collecting box with Genestealers, a Broodlord and a Trygon in it?

I was pretty set on putting together a Renegade Chapter brigade but the fast attack slot is vexing me. I feel like the other slots have units that love advance+charge or units that are good even if they don't benefit from it. I'm gonna try these bikers out but zooming across the map to put like 6 attacks on something seems self defeating

Fast attack is the hardest to fill. For cheap stuff use individual chaos spawn. Lots of wounds for super cheap.

My chaos bikes taken as minimum with special weapons have been decent. Lots of dakka.

If you have points for renegade I would recommend warp talons. 12"+d6 move and can do a lot of damage on the charge. Though I rather deep strike to avoid overwatch on them.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017

I've had good luck with my renegade bikes as first-wave outriders, but you need to follow them up with an assault wave. 3-5 with meltaguns or flamers, bumrush forward 20", shoot some stuff, and then charge in and tie up anything you think can't kill you in one round. They're not great combatives, but they are pretty tough. Use them to tie up vehicles or gunline infantry, and prevent them from firing at your assault line coming in behind them. Mine have died in every-single-game (because they force the enemy to deal with them), but they've always done their job.

I need to paint up more of my centaur-bikes and see if they get more useful with more squads. 3x3 for harassing seem like a right pain in the ass.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
This discussion has been closed.