As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Learning how to play Bass Guitar

tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I want to pick up my bass again-I've been hanging around the cleveland music scene a lot lately(my roommate is in a band that plays around here a lot, and I always go see them.)

I used to take lessons but never really got too far with it, due to other life issues, work, etc.

Essentially I'm looking for advice as well as good bass guitar resources I could learn from.

Oh, and the bass I have is an Ibanez GSR 200.

Thanks in advance.

jAhPU.jpg
tehkensai on

• DynamiteKidDynamiteKid Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Get a teacher if it's at all possible. Although this is less relevant with bass (I'm self-taught, after all) in 95% of cases, people who are self-taught will not be as good in the long run.

Oh, and don't take any shit from guitarists.

DynamiteKid on
    NWA01-1.jpg
    www.rockmidgets.com
  • Hendrix_GodHendrix_God Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Get into some major bass players. Like John Wooten (sp?) and Jaco.

Also invest in Ernie Ball Bass strings, they have worked well for me, with both guitar and bass.

Line 6 Bass amps are pretty awesome to.

And don't try to break your bass on stage like John Entwistle of the who and break your bass on stage. You could break an arm that way.

Hendrix_God on
    'When the power of love conquers the love of power then the world will know peace.'
    -Jimi Hendrix
  • tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Get a teacher if it's at all possible. Although this is less relevant with bass (I'm self-taught, after all) in 95% of cases, people who are self-taught will not be as good in the long run.

Oh, and don't take any shit from guitarists.

Ive been trying to do that, but there aren't really any bass teachers around here where I live, except ones that require like an hour drive...and thats not really something I want to do all the time.

tehkensai on
    jAhPU.jpg
  • TheungryTheungry Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I learned from the Hal Leonard book and was pretty pleased with it. Only drawback is that it lets you fall back on tabs if you don't want to learn notes. I wish i'd learned notes first, personally.

Technique-wise it was very good, and cheap on Amazon.

Theungry on
    Unfortunately, western cultures frown upon arranged marriages, so the vast majority of people have to take risks in order to get into relationships.