As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Candy Corn Vampires, Hocus Pocus, And Other Signs That It's [Halloween]

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Agreed. Option #1.

Also hey kids!

I'm going to an internet-less island in Indonesia in a few hours.

So there's no post today, or for the next two days.

Sorry champs! Someone else feel free!

dibs

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I dunno, I think both of them could be pretty unnerving.

i guess i gotta pick up the ball that sandra dropped again

alright so what is this? day twelve. yeah it's day twelve

so here's the skinny. all you assholes should watch head of the family,

https://youtu.be/CyT9kBOTYJg

head of the family is a movie about a sleazy backwater drifter tricking a murderous m.o.d.o.k. motherfucker into doing his bidding after witnessing his creepy ass family do a murder or some shit. it's scummy as hell, and everyone overacts so fucking much. it's the exact kind of trash you'd watch from a pile of beer cans, with one-eye open, in a beery haze at three in the morning. it is my brand.

what isn't my brand is books and shit so that's all you get.

fuckin'

watch head of the family twice

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    No to be too "Back in my day" but I do feel kinda bad for kids today as trick-or-treating seems to be dying off as a practice. There's a lot of time restrictions now that give them maybe 2-3 hours to do their Halloween thing, and on top of that you have the awful expansion of Daylight Savings time. So not only are you home by 8pm, but the majority of it is in daylight. Which, yeah, I get the need for safety and so forth, but it definitely takes away from the ambiance of the holiday.

YL9WnCY.png
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    On the TWELFTH day of Christmas Halloween, my true love a spooky ghoul gave to me

A custom built musical instrument design specifically to make spooky sounds for movie sound tracks called The Apprehension Engine
    https://youtu.be/1lTYPvArbGo
    It was commissioned by Mark Korven and built by Tony Duggan-Smith to create organic, acoustic horror sounds instead of reusing the same old samples. It sounds rad and watching it played will probably make you recognize sounds you've heard many times but never known how they were made. Now that he's had it for a while, Korven can actually do live performances on the instrument and make cool music up on the spot.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB2ee0M6nvo

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    head of the family is one of the trio of cheesy horror movies that stewart wellington of the flop house recommends over and over, the other two being castle freak and the invisible maniac

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Ok, first we had Army of Darkness being declared an ironically good movie. Now we have someone saying it really doesn't hold up.

k2g8ajsu1aga.jpg

army of darkness was awful

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I posit that not a single Bruce Campbell movie was awful.

They are all bad, but they don't really fall under the 'awful' umbrella, imho.

edited October 2017
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I posit that not a single Bruce Campbell movie was awful.

They are all bad, but they don't really fall under the 'awful' umbrella, imho.

Bubba Hotep was awful too.

swish

Magic Pink on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Bubba Hotep is a treasure!

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    To interrupt this discussion of people saying bad things about good movies, I've finally started digging into some spooky podcasts. So far, I've started NoSleep, The Black Tapes, and Lore. Any other recommendations for spooky podcastery?

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Castle freak reminded me to check if any other full moon stuff is on netflix.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    To interrupt this discussion of people saying bad things about good movies, I've finally started digging into some spooky podcasts. So far, I've started NoSleep, The Black Tapes, and Lore. Any other recommendations for spooky podcastery?

I've only listened to one episode so far, but The Wicked Library.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Hey, if you're looking for a really spooky podcast, might I suggest

R.L. Steiners

The preeminent podcast about Takin' bumps and causin' 'Bumps that fuses discussion of 90s wrestling and Goosebumps!

Last week we talked about Goosebumps #09 Welcome to Camp Nightmare and the WCW Power Plant.

This week we're talking about Goosebumps #26 My Hairiest Adventure and Razor Ramon!

You can check it out here: www.RLSteiners.net

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Alright, I guess my place in the Sandra void is going to be weird history and books then.

Back in 1892, in the small town of Exeter, Rhode Island, Mercy Brown was exhumed from her grave, along with her mother, Mary, and her older sister, Mary Olive. Her family examined the corpses and then took it upon themselves to cut out the heart of Mercy Brown. Her heart was burned on a nearby rock, and the ashes, mixed together with water, were given to her brother Edwin, who drank them down.

This is the best recorded instance of what has come to be known as the New England Vampire Panic.

Of course, back then nobody called it a vampire. There's a chance, by 1892, that some of these people were familiar with the word, but this tradition had been going on for over a century at this point, well before the word vampire (which comes from the Eastern European traditions) had entered the English language. You see, brother Edwin was sick, sick with the same disease that had killed his mother and his two sisters. Consumption. And when they dug up those graves, his mother and Mary Olive were both decomposed, but Mercy? Mercy still had blood in her veins. Now maybe this was because she had been dead for only two months, and stored in an above ground crypt due to the New England winter, waiting for her true burial with the rest of her family. Or maybe it was because she was not yet dead, but feeding off the life force of her dear brother (it was always a family member, in these traditions). That's the reason they fed Edwin the heart. Unfortunately, it didn't work, and he died two months later.

Similar stories to this had been occurring since the late 1700s, and, given how poorly the surviving instances were recorded, possibly even before that. They were mostly confined to Rhode Island and eastern Connecticut, with a few taking place in northern New England as well. Most of Massachusetts, being a bastion of puritanism, was immune to this superstition, if not the tuberculosis that caused it. While there are some differences, the structure is frequently the same - the exhumation of a family member who, appearing unnaturally healthy despite their current state, has a part of their body (invariably the heart, but occasionally other things as well) removed and burned.

As I noted, this wasn't called vampirism back then. This was a lesser known folk remedy to a horrific disease - tuberculosis was a blight at the time, and there was very little that could be done to fix it. The vampire stuff has gotten added in later, and I'll admit, it makes a pretty good story. Change the kept alive unnaturally by stolen lifeforce to the literal sucking of blood, and combine that with the fact that someone with consumption was likely to cough up blood in the night and wake up with blood on their lips, the difficulty breathing becomes a literal weight on your chest in the night, it all fits together nicely. So it's been called the New England Vampire Panic in the modern day (it's not much of a panic either, being a phenomenon that happened maybe dozens of times over a hundred years), and the legends have been subsumed into the vampire legend, much as skin-walkers have become werewolves and draugr have become zombies.

Most of my knowledge of this came from a book called Food for the Dead, by Michael E. Bell, which is occasionally a bit precious about its history, but otherwise is a pretty good resource.

edited October 2017
    Creepy history is the best history.

Also give a google to The Villisca Axe Murders.

https://iowacoldcases.org/case-summaries/villisca-axe-murders/

Magic Pink on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Which is why the Lore podcast is so good. I picked up the book that just came out, which seems to be mostly transcripts of stories curated to fit the theme, but is still cool, and it has a list of sources in the back.

• IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular

Tanis if you want the conspiracy theory angle. Knifepoint Horror and Campfire Radio Theater for more horror stories.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Oh yeah, that's only about an hour away from where I live.

A coworker has been bugging me to join in to pay for a tour. Nope. Nope nope nope.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    everyone is contractually obligated to watch a jason today

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    everyone is contractually obligated to watch a jason today

Am not! I don't remember attending a contract signing. I'm pretty sure putting you through a table and then jumping out of the ring would have been very memorable for me.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    i've already watched enough for one lifetime

maybe i'll boot up the old NES game tho

there is never enough jason for a single lifetime

6vjsgrerts6r.png

except i've just told you there is

don't make me throw you throw a window with a machete in your skull

you say lots of things that aren't true though

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I'm gunna go camping tonight. So tempting fate again on getting murdered by a Jason.

aGPmIBD.jpg

name thirteen

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular

It's baffling to me that they were bludgeoned with the blunt part of the axe. How does a murderer get through eight people doing that while they're all in bed and not raise up a hell of a lot of noise? Maybe I'm reading the story incorrectly.

Ceno wrote: »

It's baffling to me that they were bludgeoned with the blunt part of the axe. How does a murderer get through eight people doing that while they're all in bed and not raise up a hell of a lot of noise? Maybe I'm reading the story incorrectly.

Nope, that's what happened. and only one possible defense wound. Plus, that article didn't mention it but all the doors were locked when they tried to get in.

name thirteen

no man has the wherewithal to read thirteen of your posts

6vjsgrerts6r.png

edited October 2017
    Gustav wrote: »
    I'm gunna go camping tonight. So tempting fate again on getting murdered by a Jason.

maybe YOU are the jason

or are supposed to be. c'mon, mask up

Magic Pink on
    gus ain't even a roy, let alone a jason

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Jesus christ

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Everybody who said anything about Army Of Darkness other than "it's a cinematic masterpiece for the ages" is now on a list.

It's not a good list to be on folks, just a quick heads up.

the harshest burn

Everybody who said anything about Army Of Darkness other than "it's a cinematic masterpiece for the ages" is now on a list.

is it a list of people with better taste than you

i think it might be

edited October 2017

name thirteen

no man has the wherewithal to read thirteen of your posts

you're up to 4 dude keep going

i b leev n u

Magic Pink on
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I think you might be the only person I've ever heard of who thinks army of darkness is bad, MP

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

is it a list of people with better taste than you

i think it might be

Nah it's a list of people who don't like Army Of Darkness.

(I left so many openings there and you tripped straight over your own feet - "is it a list of people who've seen you naked", "is it a list of people who have ever smelled your breath", "is it a list of people who read your posts" like c'mon man pick up your game, jesus)

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I deffo like Army of Darkness more than Evil Dead.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me