As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Provenance

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Provenance

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    jackreickeljackreickel DMV, USA East CoastRegistered User new member
    I really hope Jerry's text included the "it's" typo and Mike left it in to punish him... again.

• Options
    alsoknownasAKalsoknownasAK Registered User new member
    Didn't The Culling steal it first?

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Battlegrounds has base building and zombies?

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    PUBG: 20 minutes of running around picking up weapons and Red Bulls and trying on different shirts and pants, followed by 3.2 seconds of getting shot and killed by a sniper you will never see from half a mile away.

jwalk on
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »

it has zombies yes.
    as a zombie, you mill around doing nothing for 20 minutes (zombies can not pick up weapons or even open doors) THEN get shot by a sniper from half a mile away

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    The movie mentioned is itself called Battle Royale, yes?

• Options
    Maiti_dukkuMaiti_dukku Registered User regular
    OMG. I hadn't come to this comic for a while. What happened to the artwork?

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    OMG. I hadn't come to this comic for a while. What happened to the artwork?

The Old Mike died....

and as replaced by a New Mike that decided to grow as an artist. He likes pushing things in different directions. Some for the better, some not so much, but I like the flavor it brings.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    The movie mentioned is itself called Battle Royale, yes?

Yes which is an adaptation of a book.

Which seemingly was also stolen by the whole Hunger Games thing.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Everything steals from / is inspired by / builds on something else. Culture is a thing, and creation is almost never ex nihilo. (And when it is, it's often considered weird or even nigh-incomprehensible precisely because it's so different from anything that's gone before.)
    As Tycho notes in his newspost, the trick is to acknowledge your influences, credit your sources, and actually do something new with the thing you took. To simply copy it with no work or value added is lazy and despicable.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    jwalk wrote: »
    PUBG: 20 minutes of running around picking up weapons and Red Bulls and trying on different shirts and pants, followed by 3.2 seconds of getting shot and killed by a sniper you will never see from half a mile away.

pfft

if you're bad maybe

8-)

• Options
    pupkinpepupkinpe Registered User new member
    Isn't everyone forgetting about fucking h1z1 king of the kill, which stole it's thing from the book battle royale, and pubg directly one to one 100% stolecopied it's whole thing from that and until pubg was the number one most popular game in the world? Is the attention span of the comic authors who's job is to know these things that fucking short? I expect a public apology and an amended comic or a followup-comic.

• Options
    I must be bad then, because I usually end up wishing there was a button to get back on the plane

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Well at least we can all agree that a book written 20 years ago invented the concept.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Well at least we can all agree that a book written 20 years ago invented the concept.

Nah, they copied it from a Simpsons episode.

• Options
    FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    Just waiting for them to make a comic about A Hat in Time.

• Options
    bsctgodbsctgod Registered User regular
    pupkinpe wrote: »
    Isn't everyone forgetting about fucking h1z1 king of the kill, which stole it's thing from the book battle royale, and pubg directly one to one 100% stolecopied it's whole thing from that and until pubg was the number one most popular game in the world? Is the attention span of the comic authors who's job is to know these things that fucking short? I expect a public apology and an amended comic or a followup-comic.

http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/meet-playerunknown-creator-of-the-battle-royale-genre-w475728

• Options
    InvertinInvertin Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

You're thinking of regular Fortnite. Battle Royale Fortnite doesn't have zombies.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    This topic reminds me of that one time when Blizzard announced a new technology called "instancing" which they were going to use in their dungeons in World of Warcraft so that people weren't bumping heads in dungeons. And then like 3 other MMO's beat WoW to market and had instancing, seemingly stolen from Blizzard before they could even do the thing that they invented.

But then it didn't matter because WoW sold like... a million copies (+1).

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular

There's only so much space they have in one comic. It would probably lose focus from the punchline if they mention that the guy behind PUBG also did the ArmA Battle Royale mod and H1Z1 King of the Hill mode beforehand.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    If it helps you feel better pup, just pretend they remade this comic for PUBG
    215473652_PbFNx-2100x20000.jpg

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Also, Tycho and Gabe as characters aren't exactly arbiters of truth and impartiality. Theee are plenty of comics wheee they're both being ridiculous.

• Options
    Hawk oneHawk one Registered User regular
    bsctgod wrote: »

http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/meet-playerunknown-creator-of-the-battle-royale-genre-w475728

"Hey, the creator of this game stole a concept from a different game's mod, the bastard!"

"He was the person that created that mod in the first place."

Sometimes the internet is good to me.

But signatures don't really work, do they?
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

good

luck

with

that

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Hawk one wrote: »
    bsctgod wrote: »

"Hey, the creator of this game stole a concept from a different game's mod, the bastard!"

"He was the person that created that mod in the first place."

Sometimes the internet is good to me.

This has entirely made my day so far.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    "People fight to the death until there is only one survivor" is not a super-hard concept to come up with

And I would argue that whether you make a movie out of it, a book or a video games makes a world of difference

Platy on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    "People fight to the death until there is only one survivor" is not a super-hard concept to come up with

I know it kind of gave way to other styles over the years, but no-respawn deathmatch used to be the default multiplayer mode in the days when shooters were mostly single player unless your friend brought his laptop over and you could figure out the ethernet stuff.

• Options
    UlgryUlgry Registered User new member
    Didn't the pubg creator kind of make this a genre by using the same ideas in two completely separate games not related to one another? By doing so didn't he unwittingly open the door for others to do the same?

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I have no understanding of the politics behind these games or mods or whatever is going on in this whole PeanUtButterGamer stuff. But I don't get how a game could steal its idea from a movie or book. I mean, "the idea" of a game is almost always intrinsically tied to its gameplay, which books and movies don't have.

Also, I know people like to cite Battle Royale being the progenitor of everything, but "fight in an arena to the death" is, a pretty old concept. I'm fairly certain it was invented by some Sumerian tavernkeep who decided to throw a couple angry chickens in a pit and see what happened.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    I have no understanding of the politics behind these games or mods or whatever is going on in this whole PeanUtButterGamer stuff. But I don't get how a game could steal its idea from a movie or book. I mean, "the idea" of a game is almost always intrinsically tied to its gameplay, which books and movies don't have.

Also, I know people like to cite Battle Royale being the progenitor of everything, but "fight in an arena to the death" is, a pretty old concept. I'm fairly certain it was invented by some Sumerian tavernkeep who decided to throw a couple angry chickens in a pit and see what happened.

Depends on how far you take it. Making a bunch of people kill each other is obviously a well-traveled concept, but "citizens made to fight to the death as part of a political agenda to sow distrust and opression by the goverment as a form of social control" is less so, though obviously it's still been done. Most of the stories that use the battle royal concept uses it as a form of gladitorial entertainment, but in Battle Royal i'ts used to terrify and cow the populace.

• Options
    SephdarSephdar Registered User new member

In Battle Royale, the government forced the people on the island to stay on the move by spreading poison gas outside a safe circle which would diminish in size over time and also had random zones that would be bombed periodically. It's not the concept of "fight to the death" that was taken from Battle Royale but the whole setting and mechanics

• Options
    edited October 2017

It's not an arena, unless you stretch the definition of "arena" into uselessness.

Not that I'm saying The Hunger Games, Battle Royale, or anything else are invented from scratch. I'd point out that The Running Man was published 17 years prior to Battle Royale. In that novella, the runners aren't in a specific game complex (as in the movie) but are just let loose in the world. And part of the inspiration for that seems to be Robert Sheckley's 1958 short story The Prize of Peril about a game show where one person is hunted for a week to try to win cash prizes like a game show. These things kind of flow and mutate and get recombined and reinterpreted for the present culture.

dennis on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I think we all need to give more credit to The Most Dangerous Game. And by that, of course I mean:
    20090416.gif

RatherDashing89 on
  • Options
    Facetiousness aside, I'll concede that Battle Royale does have more specifically in common with these games then I thought. It does seem like a fun premise for a game. Is this a game where you play individual matches or is it a Day-z style persistent world?

• Options
    edited October 2017
    as far as putting 100 people on some weird island with guns everywhere (why did people leave guns and Red Bulls laying on the floor of every building? and where did they go?) and having a poison-circle slowing closing in, it's somewhat different than every other shooter but... I mean.. essentially the game boils down to "shoot other players with guns until they die".

an amazing new concept that's new and fresh!

jwalk on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    A battle royale where people kill each other and where the field gets smaller and smaller?

Oh, yeah.

It's called Bomberman.

• Options
    Djiem wrote: »
    A battle royale where people kill each other and where the field gets smaller and smaller?

Oh, yeah.

It's called Bomberman.

Which came out the year after The Running Man. Obviously they ripped it off. ;)

I know you're joking, but this example is a good one to show how much there's an "atmosphere" to these type of games that's more important than specific details. The Running Man never had "zones" or a "field" (at least the book). But it felt far more like PUBG than Bomberman. A big part in this case is the feeling that it's an everyday person trying to survive, suddenly going from normal to being hunted (and hunting).