As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Does Dropmix count as a boardgame?

Because I saw it today. And I was really intrigued. But.. expensive buy-in, and it looked like it had random packs.. but I might be wrong about that?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Athenor wrote: »
    Does Dropmix count as a boardgame?

Because I saw it today. And I was really intrigued. But.. expensive buy-in, and it looked like it had random packs.. but I might be wrong about that?
    The packs are not random. It's more like an LCG.

EDIT: It was listed recently on Boardgamegeek. But it's one of those games where you absolutely need the app to play it, preferably outputting on to good speaker via an aux cable.

It is an expensive buy-in, and the extra card packs are continually out of stock. It's a very simplistic game at its core, and not quite as meaty as most of the folks here would like, I'm assuming.

But it's really an awesome way to mix together music. It's effortless multi-track DJing. It's worth it for the Freestyle mode alone, for me.

Also, Dropmeowx (cross-posted from [chat]):
    yNSOT3el.jpg

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Okay. Confirming the LCG model helps.. or hurts, in this case. :)

As someone who still has a lot of plastic crap around, but only keeps his two DJ Hero turntables out and about, I.. well.. I love this kind of game.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited October 2017
    Currently, the full buy-in for Dropmix is:
    * 99 bucks for the accessory/board and 60 music cards (4 x 15 card decks, which are called Playlists).
    * 60 bucks for 4 x 16 card Playlist packs.
    * 60 bucks for all 12 of the Discovery Packs (5 cards)

So total buy-in of 220 dollars without tax or shipping. Right now, it's next to impossible to find Discovery Packs unless you scour retail brick and mortar stores (Target, Best Buy, Toys R Us) or pay scalpers/resellers a premium (on Amazon, the 5 dollar Discovery packs are going for 15 bucks! For a random pack that you don't get to choose!), but the Playlist packs keep showing up at Toys R Us, Hasbro's site, and Amazon every few days at retail. I'm sure the cards will eventually meet the demand, since it's just released.

Again, the game itself isn't all that meaty. It's at the level of casual party game. But the concept and the music are absolutely amazing. I was floored with how effortlessly the different tracks flowed together and replaced each other.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I want to play with custom decks with Dropmix but that would require other people owning the game and making custom decks to play against, too.

(He says, not having even played a game of Dropmix yet.)

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I want to play with custom decks with Dropmix but that would require other people owning the game and making custom decks to play against, too.

Registering custom decks is dead simple. You just drop the cards for the deck on the mat, and it automatically detects all of the cards in your deck and tells you whether or not that deck is legal (one copy of any card, no more than 80 "levels" in the 30 card deck, or 40 "levels" in a 15 card deck for the 2v2 variant).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Registering custom decks is dead simple. You just drop the cards for the deck on the mat, and it automatically detects all of the cards in your deck and tells you whether or not that deck is legal (one copy of any card, no more than 80 "levels" in the 30 card deck, or 40 "levels" in a 15 card deck for the 2v2 variant).

Yeah but I mean like, someone else needs to own the game and some expansions too, otherwise they'd just be making a deck from the cards I didn't want to use.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Dropmix looks like a great thing for someone else to buy so I can play with it once. I'm not sure it's got the legs to justify the cost. Also seems likely to be a thing you can get for a song on clearance next summer.

Ah_Pook on
    What caught my eye were the discovery packs at TRU yesterday, so at least I know a local source. But.. yeah. I'm in the boat that is thinking the buy-in will go down quickly. Which is a shame, because Harmonix deserves better.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there were already some hot deals on it on Black Friday. Have to keep an eye out.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Heyo, I am here to report the following.

SHUX is my new gold standard for cons.

Stuffed Fables is goddamned adorable. Quite fun too.

This War of Mine is excellent, but brutal.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Catacombs is out for delivery. I don't think there's any possible way I get it stickered before game night but damn it I'm going to try.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Thelonius, did you ever drop by the library at SHUX? If so, we probably met. I was working the library from 2-8pm each day.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Mmmmm, latest shadowfist Kickstarter A Better Tomorrow is live. It has has several great pledge levels for people wanting to get into the whole Shadowfist thing.

As yet I am unable to give you a list of the incredible monkey puns in this set. It will be tough for them to top Christopher Colobus from the previous set.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Thelonius, did you ever drop by the library at SHUX? If so, we probably met. I was working the library from 2-8pm each day.

I did! I don't think I was there on Sunday due to megagaming. But we were def there fri sat.

Let's see. Tall dude with a Green Bay hat and a short girl with red hair.
    Oh, actually! Hold please.

There we go.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I've been spoiled by GameScience dice, I just enjoy the hard edges. Just picked up a mis-colored set (set made between color changes that end up between the two) that turned out an awesome dark green. It even has the crazy numbered dice that I hadn't gotten before. d3, d5, d14, d16, d24

I love the d5, it makes no sense at first glance.
    d5.A.Gamescience2.jpg

part 2 of this vid has some interesting things to say about dice with odd numbers of faces
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7zT9MljJ3Y

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I love Numberphile. These guys are so beyond my mind when it comes to these things.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Oh and to explain the paint. A pic from several hours earlier.

Age of Flint megagame. Seen here with Nels Anderson of the Terminal7 podcast.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

I did! I don't think I was there on Sunday due to megagaming. But we were def there fri sat.

Let's see. Tall dude with a Green Bay hat and a short girl with red hair.
    Oh, actually! Hold please.

There we go.

is that the dude from SUSD?

Yeah, Matt Lees

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Any recommendations for murder mystery dinner party games? I've been hearing from some to avoid the "How to Host a Murder" series because they intentionally keep every character vague and don't even tell the killer that they're the one so it's impossible to deduce other than blind guessing. I've never tried one and have no clue.

MrBody on
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Matt Lees

Sweet. Like I said I was working the games library 2-8 each afternoon and if you did the Colossus megagame on Friday then you would have seen me on the control team until 1 there. I was helping a new control guy at his table.

In fact, I'm now on the permanent volunteer list with Seattle Megagames. So anyone who does one of their games will get to see me on the control team :D

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    Yeah, Matt Lees

Sweet. Like I said I was working the games library 2-8 each afternoon and if you did the Colossus megagame on Friday then you would have seen me on the control team until 1 there. I was helping a new control guy at his table.

In fact, I'm now on the permanent volunteer list with Seattle Megagames. So anyone who does one of their games will get to see me on the control team :D

That's awesome. We hung out with a good chunk of the design/control crew at the bar on Sunday late night. Was a blast. Great crew.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I've been spoiled by GameScience dice, I just enjoy the hard edges. Just picked up a mis-colored set (set made between color changes that end up between the two) that turned out an awesome dark green. It even has the crazy numbered dice that I hadn't gotten before. d3, d5, d14, d16, d24

I love the d5, it makes no sense at first glance.
    d5.A.Gamescience2.jpg

part 2 of this vid has some interesting things to say about dice with odd numbers of faces
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7zT9MljJ3Y

this man is amazing

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I remember at least one other person here has a copy of Burning Suns

My question is this: have you managed to get the box to close after the initial opening. I suspect black magic was used to compact it all in. It also explains why they used such tiny dice

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited October 2017
    After bringing Chaos In The Old World to game night every week for a year I finally got some people to play it last night! Man that game is just awesome is all. They all really enjoyed it and want a rematch also, so things are looking up :)

ALSO! Today is the day! I'm in a max player count game of TI4 with mostly (all?) new players. Starting at 10am. I'm so so excited!

Ah_Pook on
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Thanks for the opinions chaps and chapesses! I've got enough heavy competitive games in my collection for now, so it'll round out the other end with Burgle Bros.

Thanks
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I remember at least one other person here has a copy of Burning Suns

My question is this: have you managed to get the box to close after the initial opening. I suspect black magic was used to compact it all in. It also explains why they used such tiny dice

Ha I bought an additional storage box for the burning suns mini's. From really useful boxes the hobbybox.
    The add-ons will hopefully arrive somewhere this decennium and they will fit in there also.

steam_sig.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Yeah, Matt Lees

so then the question is why aren't you making out

A question I ask myself constantly.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Catacombs does not fit in Kallax shelves and overall is a goofy size and shape that kind of irritates me a lot.

edited October 2017
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

ALSO! Today is the day! I'm in a max player count game of TI4 with mostly (all?) new players. Starting at 10am. I'm so so excited!

Short version after action report: fun, lots of interesting decisions and mechanics, significantly too long for me to ever want to play again. Honestly that's what I was expecting out of it. A game I'm very glad to have tried... Once.

Edit: by all accounts it's radically better than ti3 mechanically, and based on what they were saying it sounds true. Never played it before so I can't really elaborate there.

Ah_Pook on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Obviously now that you know what you're doing, you need to play it again so it goes faster.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    I just don't see a 6p game getting that much faster though... I mean that would eliminate the hour of rules up front but your still looking at a 6.5-7 how game I think.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I just don't see a 6p game getting that much faster though... I mean that would eliminate the hour of rules up front but your still looking at a 6.5-7 how game I think.

Generally it's an hour per player. 3 and 4 player games go a little faster due to having two strategy primaries per turn

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Seems like a game that wants Max players but is too long for me at Max players. I wouldn't even want them to shorten it since obviously some people are passionate about it at its current length. Just not a game for me.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Any recommendations for murder mystery dinner party games? I've been hearing from some to avoid the "How to Host a Murder" series because they intentionally keep every character vague and don't even tell the killer that they're the one so it's impossible to deduce other than blind guessing. I've never tried one and have no clue.

I'm interested in this as well

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Clank! In! Space! will have a release date of October 25th!

I'm not even done playing the original!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Dropmix is a ton of fun, y'all.

I think it does have more strategy than you might assume at first blush - not a ton more, but some more. I would definitely like to be able to try and craft a custom deck to play against someone else. Honestly, I find it kind of refreshing to have a game where you could pick the majority of cards based on personal preference rather than "this ability is OP, must have!"

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Boardgames with @Rhesus Positive and others at the weekend. Kingdom, Quantum, Mysterium, Discworld (the Ankh-Morpork one) and the first case of the Whitechapel expansion for Consulting Detective.

Quantum went down pretty well, as its simple but deep and doesn't take very long at all. And it has that thing of letting you do something that makes you feel pretty clever that other people didn't see coming, and also of course that thing where someone can put a thing somewhere that utterly scuppers your very clever thing.

Mysterium remains excellent fun. I was the ghost, and boy howdy did my cards suck. It didn't help that all three psychics had beards, and two had tartan of the same colour on their cards. Few things are more frustrating that the psychics ignoring the very clear connection between their dream card and the right room/object/person in favour of a totally different but equally clear one you didn't actually see when you gave it out. They failed to identify the killer, in spite of the fact that the man in the sky on a bicycle had a moustache but no beard, clearly making it a sign that pointed towards the lord. Fools!

Consulting detective is very shiny and nice and thankfully not in italics, but the first Whitechapel case was a bit iffy, not because of proof-reading errors, but because it just didn't seem to flow very well towards the conclusions we needed to make.

The Discworld game is pretty good, though I think I had a lord that encouraged me to keep my head down and interact less with other players. Vetinari won, because of course Vetinari won.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My girlfriend and I were synced perfectly at Mysterium, with me as the ghost.

Which for me is winning, but she hates the game :(

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767