As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Candy Corn Vampires, Hocus Pocus, And Other Signs That It's [Halloween]

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    gus ain't even a roy, let alone a jason

So we are changing the narrative to you disliking Roy now

aGPmIBD.jpg
    (the only straight up bad Evil Dead thing was the end of the last season of Ash vs Evil Dead. That was fucking awful.)

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I think you might be the only person I've ever heard of who thinks army of darkness is bad, MP

well there's one other person in this very thread so

also it changed ash from "sensitive male final girl" into "toxic masculinity poster boy" which i will never forgive

Magic Pink on
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Everybody who said anything about Army Of Darkness other than "it's a cinematic masterpiece for the ages" is now on a list.

It's not a good list to be on folks, just a quick heads up.

is it a list of people with better taste than you

i think it might be

Nah it's a list of people who don't like Army Of Darkness.

(I left so many openings there and you tripped straight over your own feet - "is it a list of people who've seen you naked", "is it a list of people who have ever smelled your breath", "is it a list of people who read your posts" like c'mon man pick up your game, jesus)

i'm on my Be Good Hour :cry:

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    gus ain't even a roy, let alone a jason

So we are changing the narrative to you disliking Roy now

the narrative hasn't changed at all

a jabroni like you wishes he could be roy

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    everyone is contractually obligated to watch a jason today

I don't have any of the Jason movies. :(

Uriel wrote: »

I don't have any of the Jason movies. :(

just find someone named jason and stare at him

it's all good

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I don't know any Jasons, but I know a Justin. Is that close enough?

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Do Jason Bourne movies count?

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

Only if they have Jason Bourne's mother in them.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »

Only if they have Jason Bourne's mother in them.

Martha?

• BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross have dropped their cover of the Halloween theme.
    I dig it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAbDvqPFXvQ

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i got my halloween costume in the mail, hooray!

it's kinda... it turned out... not appropriate for a halloween costume, at all.
    there are some fit issues, shall we say.
    but my partner really likes it, so uh, that works out, i guess.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Just got back from a oct13/early halloween party where we MST3k'd Tales from the Dark Side.

That was fun.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Got the baby a yellow shirt.

To go with her black skirt.

Now I just need to get her a yellow hair bow.

And I'll have my own little Emma Wiggle for Halloween.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Should have told me BEFORE it was already Saturday.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Got the baby a yellow shirt.

To go with her black skirt.

Now I just need to get her a yellow hair bow.

And I'll have my own little Emma Wiggle for Halloween.

Give her a toy gun and she can be Emma Wiggle Peel.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Hey Halloweiners.

I've been busy lately, especially with Friday the 13th falling in October. People are very glad to see Ghostbusters show up.

We've done some events including a "party in the park" at historic Oakland Cemetery, a totally 80s bar crawl, and Halloween themed nerd karaoke. Next week we'll have two Halloween parades including a Halloween lantern parade. I've made a ghost lantern on a capture stream tether that I'm proud of. I'll be making two more for my team before next Friday.

I've put photos in spoilers.
    NrDqt8h.jpg
    xXCisN7.jpg
    4FhvAzT.jpg
    un8mNsT.jpg
    6OqsWCM.jpg
    0ItXxza.jpg

TankHammer on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    October 15th is considerably less spooky than the 13th. You know what's spooky? I spent the entire 13th not realizing it was Friday the 13th at all.

People have been talking about Lore, the podcast, in the thread - I'm not an enormous Lore fan (I can't stop thinking about Leonard Nimoy in The Springfield Files when I listen. "And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No." And then I go from there to the dweebo at the end going "Keep watching the SKIIS" and I can't take any of it seriously at all) but I can appreciate that other people enjoy it! And also, I love podcasting as a medium, so it's exciting to me that Lore has its own Amazon miniseries now. If folklore and urban myths are your cuppa tea, then perhaps you want to give it a whirl? They're short retellings so if you're in the mood for something unnerving but don't have time for a movie, this is a pretty decent option for you, maybe! I haven't watched the show yet - I'll give it a whirl once my company leaves town.

I know that there are humans in the world who love The Murder City Devils... if not more than I do, at least as much. (I always forget who here has the dopest set of Murder City Devil posters I've ever seen, but there's some forumer or mod who has the dopest set of Murder City Devils posters I've ever seen.) This band means a lot to me, and if you don't like them, I so aggressively don't care that I would actually spontaneously transform into my college self, the one who would put on Empty Bottles, Broken Hearts KNOWING that only me and my bff were going to scream and dance and the rest of the party was going to hate us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPRh4BgAmTY

Anyway that's Midnight Service at the Mutter Museum. I'm glad you're here.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    My bad luck waited until Saturday the 14th like a fucking prick.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I tried the first episode of the Lore show on Amazon last night, and I don't think it's very good. Really stilted narration, and a bunch of the facts of the case (first episode was Mercy Brown, who I'm obviously familiar with) were elided over or straight up wrong in favor of spooky sensationalism.

I might be trying some more in the future, because short and spooky documentaries are an idea that super appeals to me, but it's definitely a flawed work.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I tried the first episode of the Lore show on Amazon last night, and I don't think it's very good. Really stilted narration, and a bunch of the facts of the case (first episode was Mercy Brown, who I'm obviously familiar with) were elided over or straight up wrong in favor of spooky sensationalism.

I might be trying some more in the future, because short and spooky documentaries are an idea that super appeals to me, but it's definitely a flawed work.

I've also only tried the first episode, but found it didn't add anything to the Podcast. I had actually listened to that episode very recently, AND it is the first story in his book, and thought the TV episode was the worst of the three mediums. It was just drawn out and the dramatization didn't add anything. The first bit, with the animation, was fine. I'll probably finish watching the season so I'm not judging it on one episode.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    The narrator in Lore is terrible. Going to give the tv show a shot though

Ceno wrote: »
    The narrator in Lore is terrible. Going to give the tv show a shot though

It's the same narrator

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    What if... we're all the narrator of Lore... in some way...

Does anyone have any good recommendations for like, spooky sounds?

I'm thinking of hiding a speaker in my bathroom during my Halloween party and just having some stuff playing out of it very lightly. You know, at that exact volume where you can't tell if you're actually hearing things or quietly going crazy.

My current plan is to use Fantomas' Delirum Cordia on loop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XNbA7NdE1Q

But I might want to switch that up, I'm not sure.

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular

I'm thinking of hiding a speaker in my bathroom during my Halloween party and just having some stuff playing out of it very lightly. You know, at that exact volume where you can't tell if you're actually hearing things or quietly going crazy.

The Alex Jones Soundboard on the google play store allows you to layer hundreds of instances of his rants on top of each other so you can drive friends and loved ones into madness. Just a thought.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017

I made a spooky haunting one shot for my D&D group a while back and I used a website called Ambient Mixer to make a couple of soundscapes.

You find audio samples from their library and layer them right on the site. For example you can get a seamless "woods at night" type sound for the base, then randomly once every 20 seconds there'll be an owl hooting and leaves rustling, then randomly once every minute there'll be a distant scream.

If you want to download the audio as an MP3 you have to pay five bucks or so, but you can just run it on loop in a browser and it works fine.

Edit: actually there's a bunch of premade halloween soundscapes if you don't wanna mix a thing yourself.

#pipe on
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Just got back from a oct13/early halloween party where we MST3k'd Tales from the Dark Side.

That was fun.

Was it the series or the movie?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

That was fun.

Was it the series or the movie?

Series, I think we did season 3 and a bit of 4.

It was the one with the mom who turned to salt and all that weird shit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I have all the gear to do a cool rear projection display in one of the windows, so I been looking through footage trying to find loops I like. So far they come in two flavors:

a) lame and hokey and just all around shit

b) extremely fucking awesome but will probably involve a visit from the police

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

This is definitely on the creepy and unsettling side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaKQYGIbqBQ

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

This is definitely on the creepy and unsettling side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaKQYGIbqBQ

This is a good one.

Along the same vein:
    https://youtu.be/Dp3BlFZWJNA

https://youtu.be/uhTusoemAdI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmWslEUpf9s

there are a lot of 20th century composers who just sat down with a pen and some manuscript and said "how can I make an orchestra sound like a fucking panic attack?"

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9dtAOlccs4

Amon Tobin has done some pretty good creepy atmospheric stuff on his later albums.

DarkPrimus on
    If I recall correctly the Shaun of the Dead soundtrack has a track that is nothing but zombie outbreak news reports mixed together.

We put that to pretty good use when I used to host these giant zombie games out at my cabin.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

I made a spooky haunting one shot for my D&D group a while back and I used a website called Ambient Mixer to make a couple of soundscapes.

You find audio samples from their library and layer them right on the site. For example you can get a seamless "woods at night" type sound for the base, then randomly once every 20 seconds there'll be an owl hooting and leaves rustling, then randomly once every minute there'll be a distant scream.

If you want to download the audio as an MP3 you have to pay five bucks or so, but you can just run it on loop in a browser and it works fine.

Edit: actually there's a bunch of premade halloween soundscapes if you don't wanna mix a thing yourself.

Ooooo

A sleeping next to Dean Winchester mixer.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    It's actual music rather than just sounds, but The Caretaker is still a great go-to for "I'm hearing something that is probably ghosts right now" music.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN

Sometimes They Come Back is a made-for-TV film based on a Stephen King short story. This isn’t much of a confession anymore, since I am vocal about my disinterest/dislike for Stephen King’s writing work, but I am noooot really a Stephen King book or story fan! It’s funny. I read nonfiction that is dull as hell by any definition, and I love iterations of the grotesque in film and writing, but his stuff seems to perfectly balance boring with nasty in a way that I cannot get into at all.

That said, he’s got oodles of film and TV adaptations of his material, annnnd I sort of love even the garbage ones. (Like Sometimes They Come Back.)

Writing a Stephen King Novel
    Step 1. Have a family move (or move back) to idyllic small town or country locale to either escape or discover the tragic past.
    Step 2. Make it very explicit that the tragic past is still very active and present and probably now evil, despite the seemingly-bucolic nature of their new place, neighbors, pets, etc.
    Step 3. GHOST FIGHT

No but for real - thpoilerth - a middle-aged teacher stand-in moves back to Podunk Hometown, USA (it looks like Nebraska or Illinois to me), and has to fight off the returned evil ghostly greasers who murdered his brother when he was a kid. Evil ghostly greasers, guys. It’s extra silly but the pacing is good nuff. The evil greaser car makes growly cat noises (because it’s evil) and murders tons of 90’s teen stereotypes (see previous reason), in order to take places in the teacher’s history class, which… seems like kind of an odd choice. But it turns out they have Evil Ulterior Motives - see, they super want to stay out of hell, which I guess they can do if they… cause more murders. Don’t look too deeply into this particular aspect of the plot, okay?

9NIorCc.jpg

I rented this VHS from Blockbuster when I was a kid, based purely on the cover. I think I sort of still want it to be a demonic version of The Wild Bunch. (It very isn’t.) But it was and is a fun enough watch, at the very least because it is very clear that this guy is a terrible teacher and watching kids torment him is kinda a little bit great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Am6AurDEeA

Also there are two direct-to-video sequels that are progressively more dumb, if you’re in the mood for something even less erudite than the first movie.

Red Fang is a metal band whose music videos are routinely as rad as their music. I feel like they are a bunch of cool guys who would be cool to hang with, and if anyone knows otherwise, please don’t tell me. The video for Blood Like Cream is about zombies who are out, not for brains, but for beer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KWhqIoRufQ

Neil Gaiman needs no introduction from me, obviously. He wrote a short story that was published in Fragile Things, called Bitter Grounds, which is a better zombie short story than most. Tor has it on their website presently in its entirety, so… there you go!

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2017
    his stuff seems to perfectly balance boring with nasty in a way that I cannot get into at all.

Man this sums up my issues with King perfectly

tynic on