As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm nervous about the X because there's a ton of stuff that could go wrong in a debut model. Remember when the retina iPad came out and it pretty quickly turned out to be way underpowered? New login system, new screen type, OLEDs... there's a lot that could go wrong. I really wanted the X at first (and maybe would have gotten one if my hand hadn't been forced) but I definitely want to see reviews and wait to see what people are saying in a few months.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I'm nervous about the X because there's a ton of stuff that could go wrong in a debut model. Remember when the retina iPad came out and it pretty quickly turned out to be way underpowered? New login system, new screen type, OLEDs... there's a lot that could go wrong. I really wanted the X at first (and maybe would have gotten one if my hand hadn't been forced) but I definitely want to see reviews and wait to see what people are saying in a few months.

So long as holding the phone normally doesn't cut cell signal in half like with my 4 I'll be good.

And also I guess so long as I can actually unlock the phone reliably.

Oh well. I'll be that crazy early adopter person to tell you guys how much it sucks or not. Use me as the canary in the mine.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    The unlocking thing is my big worry. If that sucks, it’s a big step back.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The unlocking thing is my big worry. If that sucks, it’s a big step back.

People did say the same thing with the finger unlock and that was okay.

It is basically the biggest concern for me but fuck it, I want crazy new things so I guess I'll deal with it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Oh don't get me wrong, I 100% am with you on that. I'd probably have the crazy new thing if they hadn't delayed the release, but my phone completely fucking died.

• Options
    Oh don't get me wrong, I 100% am with you on that. I'd probably have the crazy new thing if they hadn't delayed the release, but my phone completely fucking died.

Yeah I am still hoping I make it. I am having to recharge my phone around lunch time now to make it through the day.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That's why everyone should boycott phones with non-removable batteries!

• Options
    "Well I've got this shitty long train journey, but my laptop is all loaded up with movies and games! I'll just plug in the iPhone headset I brought along and..."
    a5ibrpqra3sf.png

• Options
    I'm now realising that the true cost of this isn't "none of my headphones work on my phone", it's "I always have to have two pairs of headphones"

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Dongles are the future now Tube.

Dongles will solve all our woes

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Dongles are the future now Tube.

Dongles will solve all our woes

where were you when dongles ruled the earth

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Watching the Apple announcement where they got rid of the headphone jack.

That was the day dongles took over

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I'd argue it was before that announcement, when they turned all Macbook ports into USB-C only. (My chronology could be off here)

• Options
    Dongles is a fun word to say.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Equifax website hacked again. This time it started redirecting people to a fake flash site.

These people shouldn't be in charge of anything. Close the whole thing down.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    My New MacBook showed up on Thursday.

Unfortunately, my standard password that I used on my previously Mac did not get correctly entered into this computer (I think the keyboard ratio must have made me make the mistake) and while I could reset the password on the system easily enough, I couldn't get change the password on the keychain and had to download the entire OS again and start from scratch.

I really like it though, it runs buttery smooth so far for everything that I have used it for, sounds way better than the old one, the screen is A++ and most importantly the battery is leagues ahead of the old one. My old battery would be almost dead if I used it three periods straight. This one I took to school and didn't bring the charger and it didn't drop below fifty percent.

Force touch, worked in with better touch tool is also really really good, with gestures and force clicking from the trackback now I change tabs, automatically open links either in the current tab, or in a new tab and go forward and back without ever needing to press and extra button, right clicking or using the navigation bar.

My only criticism is, and I know technology wise it is better. But for interactivity, both the mag charger and the lightning cable are better as physical objects. USB-C can obviously transfer data faster and can charge quicker. But the mag charger was really nice to use because how easy it was, and the lightning cable is shorter and narrower than USB-C which makes it easier to pull in and out. I always feel while using the new cable I am going to snap it off or something.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Equifax website hacked again. This time it started redirecting people to a fake flash site.

These people shouldn't be in charge of anything. Close the whole thing down.

About half the time library patrons ask me for help with a computer, it's because they've Yahoo searched their way into some sort of phishing site when they were just trying to do a resume or log into Gmail or update their medicare.

I will support ludicrously harsh penalties for anyone involved in internet scamming, because it is an incredibly wide-spread crime that only affects the most vulnerable people in our society and also your grandma.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Chopping off the digits of a few 100 people would probably get the message across, but since that'll never happen good luck!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Making money wiring businesses illegal would fix a lot of it, for sure.

No reason for places like Moneygram and Western Union to exist in 2017.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    transfers over western union-style services can't possibly all be shady scammers... can they?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    transfers over western union-style services can't possibly all be shady scammers... can they?

A big legitimate use case is for remittance, ie people working outside their country of origin sending money home. Also for international commerce, ie you want to order 10 tons of ASTM A500 pipe off Alibaba, you can pay with Western Union or MoneyGram or whatever.

sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah you don't really need it anymore though. Once it hits the wire transfer it's no longer your money. And they don't really give a shit about you or who it's going to, they just want their cut.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I don't know about legitimate uses, but I had to wire my wife a pretty big chunk of change because her fairly fancy apartment in Houston wouldn't accept a check or credit card for her deposit.

I can't believe that this is a viable business model in 2017, but here we are.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    yeah remittance is the big use I can think of that would fuck honest people over if you suddenly outlawed wire transfers

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I had to pay the down payment on my house by wire transfer. But I was able to set it up through my bank, so I fail to see what utility Western Union et al. have beyond scams (possibly remittances from the undocumented side? That's all I can think of).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Are you all talking about wire transfers or money orders. They're similar but different.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    It is literally impossible to pay any money to the state or federal prison system, except in the form of a money order or wire transfer. Not sure why.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I've used Western Union once in my life, and it was to send some emergency cash to a friend in another country who was having a rough time. Other than edge cases like that, surely bank transfers are a vastly superior option?

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Bank transfers aren't always instant and take a few days to clear.

Some banks don't do international.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Are you all talking about wire transfers or money orders. They're similar but different.

I confess I don't know the difference

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

I still think it's funny that the word we settled on for "thing you plug into another, larger thing for a specialized purpose" is "dongle"

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

I still think it's funny that the word we settled on for "thing you plug into another, larger thing for a specialized purpose" is "dongle"

The first time I heard it I didn't believe the person saying it wasn't just being silly.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Does have a recommendation for a smart phone screen protector? This one gets way too smudged way too fast.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Bank transfers aren't always instant and take a few days to clear.

Some banks don't do international.

And if they do do international, they're expensive, and not all the money gets there if it's international because banks on the way through take some as fees...

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

I've used Western Union once in my life, and it was to send some emergency cash to a friend in another country who was having a rough time. Other than edge cases like that, surely bank transfers are a vastly superior option?

I get the feeling that wire transfers are quite popular among migrants in Australia - sending/receiving money from family/other countries and such.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    There's quite a few online international transfer services now, too, which are much cheaper than banks and usually get you a better exchange rate. But if you want to walk in to a shop off the street and turn a wad of cash in your pocket into a wad of cash into someone else's pocket, especially overseas, Western Union has got a pretty strong lock on the market. It's basically supplying a vital service to the non-digital global workforce - I know it's still used widely in some parts of Africa.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I was going to buy an iPhone 8 while in Japan because it was cheaper due to taxes and what not but then I ended up having to spring for another hotel room which was iPhone money.

They also only had rose gold which I didn't really want anyway.

I'm going to wait and get the X now.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I really hate iPhone commercials.

Just this really hipster/pretentious artsy commercial for some dumb software that is a literal copy of something that's been on the market for years.

Like, photo filters? Seriously? Fuck off.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I'm interested in a good but cheap mic to use for games. I've got a great set of Sennheiser headphones but they don't have a mic and what I've got good up to my speakers is super bad. Anybody use the Yeti Snowflake? It's only $40 or so.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I hear good things about modmics. Don't seem to be that much more than that.

This discussion has been closed.