As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Indie Games] would be great on Switch!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Good! That game should happen.

Hopefully enough of the people who are saying this put their money where their mouth is and it will.

I'll buy it when it's published but I'll never back another video game on Kickstarter.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    IGN has enough money to buy Humble? Weird.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Their mothership, J2 Global, cleared $133 million in GAAP income in 2016.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    DayZ

IGN are rich aliens???????

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    DayZ
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Hopefully enough of the people who are saying this put their money where their mouth is and it will.

I'll buy it when it's published but I'll never back another video game on Kickstarter.

And my point is if everyone who is saying they want this game takes that stance, the game will never happen. This is an example of a game that will only happen if the people who say they want it are willing to put in.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

IGN are rich aliens???????

You can't spell Ignocxt without IGN.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    So the new open world Warframe update, Plains of Eidolon, dropped a couple days ago and holy fuck is it ever cool. I probably spent 12+ hours playing it yesterday.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    So the new open world Warframe update, Plains of Eidolon, dropped a couple days ago and holy fuck is it ever cool. I probably spent 12+ hours playing it yesterday.

What did it add?

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

And my point is if everyone who is saying they want this game takes that stance, the game will never happen. This is an example of a game that will only happen if the people who say they want it are willing to put in.

Which is why kickstarter is a bad system

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The alternative is that the game doesn't get made because publishers are risk averse

I mean Kickstarter is by no means a perfect solution, but it very much is a "put your money where your mouth is" thing in terms of "games that should get made"

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    DayZ

Which is why kickstarter is a bad system

It's a bad system because it allows people to fund games that publishers never would? There are exactly two options for this game: 1) the people who say "man I want this game to be made" actually put down money to get it made or 2) the game never comes out.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I mean thats very clearly not true, given that most kickstarters are used by publishers to gauge interest but nowhere nearly fund the actual product

Asking customers to put money down on something that might never happen is not a system I agree with, at all

something that would show publishers "hey people really do want this" would be much preferable

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    DayZ
    I would say it's a bad system for, "prove to a publisher your game has the metrics, so they can actually fund the development."
    To a certain extent there are those using the platform as marketing for AA releases.

Huge respect for the indie devs that use the system to make games that weren't going to be made.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

What did it add?

It added a new huge, open map, the titular Plains of Eidolon (I believe it's 3km x 3km), a new town with various vendors selling stuff to fish and mine with that also buy minerals and fish you've gathered, new custom-built melee weapons which you can also name where you choose the grip, striker, and counter-weight, all of which affect what type of weapon it is and what sort of stats it has, a completely reworked focus system, more operator customization to make them more powerful in combat, a new frame with associated quest, new weapons, and a bunch of other stuff.

Here's a quick trailer that the devs posted last week:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l31P9EkWAvM

and here's a link to their forums with a changelog and better explanation of what all is in this update.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

Yeah I understood you the first time thanks. And my point is giving money to get a video game made and 95% of the time having them fail to make it is crazy pants.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Wait wait wait, so you're telling me that the crazy whackadoo cyborg warmonsters of War Frame now stand around ponds with fishing rods, acquiring fish

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    DayZ
    http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4354351
    'Indigenous cybernoir': Video game designers crafting futuristic detective story
    A group of Indigenous female developers in Hamilton, Ont., are putting their own cultural spin on the usually male-dominated video game industry.

Purity & Decay is a futuristic detective video game being developed by Achimostawinan, a company of five people — four of whom are Indigenous.

The game is set in North America of 2262, where a class system divides people both metaphorically and physically and the ruling class lives in floating cities. The protagonist, private eye Myeengun Hill, is sought out by a woman to help find answers about her sister's murder.

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Wait wait wait, so you're telling me that the crazy whackadoo cyborg warmonsters of War Frame now stand around ponds with fishing rods, acquiring fish

I literally just spent like 30 minutes doing exactly that. And afterwards I was exploring some caves and mining ores and stuff. I almost have enough materials to fully craft one of the custom melee weapons! I don't know if it'll be any good, but I'm going to find out in the next day or two once I get it finished up.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Spy Party

Yeah I understood you the first time thanks. And my point is giving money to get a video game made and 95% of the time having them fail to make it is crazy pants.

Do you have any actual data to back up that statistic?

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    Hobnail wrote: »

Well, not fishing rods. It's spearfishing.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Fishing is maybe my favorite thing in mmos because I am a broken man.

Time to boot warframe back up.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Star Citizen
    Brolo wrote: »

@whippy I can't believe we didn't think of this

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    THEy never woulda let us tbh

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Star Citizen
    kat would have because she loved me, so it would have worked as long as our idiot assistant DM didn't find out

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

Yeah, my backer history.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    most kickstarters are used by publishers to gauge interest but nowhere nearly fund the actual product

Citation, please?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    Fibbage 3 seems to be leaning into 1970's kitsch even harder than its predecessors

https://youtu.be/0MLASpDnkX8

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Yeah, my backer history.

You know that isn't good data right

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular

Apparently this was a good tweet, but it now appears to be gone.

Re: Kickstarter games I would back: Capy Games' Below

Please, Capy, I'll do anything!

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

Yeah, my backer history.

It's good data for me and since I was stating my opinion on whether I would back video games ever again I think that works out pretty great!

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Yeah, my backer history.

https://www.kickstarter.com/fulfillment

Real data - Kickstarter posting an independent study by University of Pennsylvania researchers.

9% of projects fail to deliver rewards.

Of note is at the bottom they survey backers of projects on if they consider a project a failure. Gaming has one of the highest rates at the broad definition of failure (aka a single person says the project fails), a fairly average rate where half of backers agreed the project failed, and one of the lowest where all backers agreed it failed. It kind of speaks to the divisive attitude of gamers in general.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    rhylith wrote: »
    Gaming has one of the highest rates at the broad definition of failure (aka a single person says the project fails),

How is that not 100%? I've never been on a project, gaming or otherwise, where someone didn't say it failed.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Gaming has one of the highest rates at the broad definition of failure (aka a single person says the project fails),

How is that not 100%? I've never been on a project, gaming or otherwise, where someone didn't say it failed.

Man I ain’t the University of Pennsylvania!

• Options

Man I ain’t the University of Pennsylvania!

And with that attitude you never will be

your mother and i something something never so disappointed something else end with sobbing

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    DayZ
    Data or no data, there have been some fairly high profile Kickstarter game snafus and I certainly don't begrudge anyone deciding it's too much of a risk to back one

• Options
    Spy Party
    star citizen is going to be so amazing, you guys

• Options
    Spy Party
    somebody tell me it is going to be okay

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    somebody tell me it is going to be okay

It'll be great, just as long as you've spent at least USD$10,000 on in-game gubbins.

EDIT: Jesus fucking christ, their website claims they're raised over $161 million dollars.

There are AAA games with smaller budgets than that getting released all the time, why is Star Citizen taking so long?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    No matter the raw percentage of failures, expecting people to back games after theyve thrown away money on several different kickstarters and seen no returns, or bad returns, is super unfair to the consumer

This discussion has been closed.