Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Star Wars]: The Last Jedi - A completely uncontroversial film. TAG SPOILERS

24567101

Posts

  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Thing I just realized about Piett from RotJ.

    "Sir, we've lost our bridge deflector shields!"

    Piett didn't order an evacuation of the bridge. He didn't try to make some snake-like exit to preserve his own life. That guy stood his ground, gave an order, and went back to observing the battle. Usually Imperial officers were sniveling cowards in the face of death (or Vader) but Piett grew a spine between ESB and ROTJ.

    I chalked that up to his overconfidence in the defensive capabilities of the Executor, followed by not having a chance to get out in the seconds between "Intensify forward firepower" and "So, that's what an A-wing tastes like".

    As a close third option "I really don't want to be around when Vader learns that I was in command of his ship when it blew up, especially if I survived somehow...".

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    webguy20KaplarTankHammer
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    He could've taken an escape pod and get picked up by the Rebels.

    Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    He could've taken an escape pod and get picked up by the Rebels.

    I don't know if there was time. I mean, in the clip I found, there are seconds between "Sir, we've lost our bridge deflector shield" and "A-wing to the face".
    Granted, we don't know the exact layout of the bridge, and it would make sense that there'd be easily accessible escape pods for the bridge crew. On the other hand, Luke had to drag Vader to a landing bay to board a shuttle to get off the Death Star. If the Emperor himself doesn't have a nearby escape pod in his Death Star throne room, seems like an admiral might just be SOL.

    And judging from Vader's past "motivational speeches" it seems that the Empire doesn't really seem to mind losing a bridge officer or two. Especially if it's a bridge officer that just screwed up bad enough that abandoning his ship seemed like the ideal option.

    The clip:

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    He could've taken an escape pod and get picked up by the Rebels.

    Someone did that already

  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Dude that was a perfect opportunity to ITS A TRAP roll me and you squandered it.

    Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
    Xaquin
  • MvrckMvrck Registered User regular
    Man I love that scene because it really sets up just how big the Death Star is.

    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Man I love that scene because it really sets up just how big the Death Star is.
    Consider how big Endor is with that.

    Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    BWAAAAAM duh duh duh, dumdumdumdumdadadadabwahbwahbwaaaahhhhhh

    Oh dang. Is this gonna be the FFG RPG, or something else? I know Mike really talked up the FFG one a few years back.

    I would like to know more about the FFG rpg but I don't know really what to ask or start

  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    BWAAAAAM duh duh duh, dumdumdumdumdadadadabwahbwahbwaaaahhhhhh

    Oh dang. Is this gonna be the FFG RPG, or something else? I know Mike really talked up the FFG one a few years back.

    I would like to know more about the FFG rpg but I don't know really what to ask or start
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So, could someone spell out the outline of FFG's Star Wars system? Both in terms of what to buy and how it works?

    There are three core books, each of which is focused around a different facet of Star Wars.

    Edge of the Empire is the "I wanna be Han Solo" book. Everyone is living on the fridges of galactic society: you're bounty hunters or colonists or smugglers or mercenaries, etc. Every character has Obligation, which is basically something that follows you around and shows up every once in a while to complicate things. You could owe a debt to a Hutt, or you could be on the run from a trumped-up criminal charge, or maybe you're trying to save up money for your family living back home.

    Age of Rebellion is the "I wanna join the Rebellion" book. Player characters are part of the Rebellion and the campaigns are focused on fighting the Empire. Now, that doesn't mean everyone are soldiers. You have spies and hackers and diplomats so there are all kinds of missions you can run other than just "shoot stuff to win fight." Player characters in AoR have Duty, which is a specific focus that character has that is their personal drive in how best to defeat the Empire. Duty is cool because it can be used to introduce complications into missions, where players have an option to pursue their individual goal, even if it's not an official objective.

    Force and Destiny is the "I wanna be a Jedi" book. All player characters made using this book are Force users, but a starting player from F&D is not going to be a Jedi. Think Luke Skywalker at the start of A New Hope, maybe. The mechanic that players use in F&D is Morality, which basically measure how attuned a player is to the light or dark side of the Force. It's a lot more granular than Duty or Obligation.


    The core books are all stand-alone but they all use the same rule system and are fully compatible. A starting character from any one of the core books will be on par with a starting character from another core book. The books have advice on how to combine characters from the different books, so it's a matter of determining what sort of game you want to run and figuring out what books to get from there. There are some options in EotE and AoR for a character to be Force sensitive so you don't need F&D if a player really wants to be a Force-user. Still, everything well balanced experience-wise so you won't end up with the problem from earlier SW RPGs where Force users got to be good at EVERYTHING. Becoming more proficient at the Force means you don't get the tricks from your non-Force class at the same time.


    The dice system is proprietary but is very intuitive to learn. Skill checks are made by figuring out the difficulty of the check and the ability of the check. You upgrade a number of dice based on skills and circumstances, and it's a simple matter of comparing results. In addition to success and failure there are threats and advantage, so, for example, you could miss shooting a Stormtrooper but could hit the door panel behind him, preventing reinforcements from entering. Or you could hack into the system and get the information you needed, but your hack is noticed by the security system and alarms go off.

    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    ShadowenFencingsaxchrishallett83
  • DMACDMAC Moderator mod
    First Mate Quiggold:

    b5s3c4p2044q.jpg

    SirEtchwartsShadowenDouglasDangerMidniteCommander Zoomchrishallett83PlatyBrainleechMvrcksarukunJacques L'HommeLord_AsmodeusTankHammerButler
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza RIP Iwata-san..... ...and thanks for the Switch, you magnificent bastard.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Thing I just realized about Piett from RotJ.

    "Sir, we've lost our bridge deflector shields!"

    Piett didn't order an evacuation of the bridge. He didn't try to make some snake-like exit to preserve his own life. That guy stood his ground, gave an order, and went back to observing the battle. Usually Imperial officers were sniveling cowards in the face of death (or Vader) but Piett grew a spine between ESB and ROTJ.

    I chalked that up to his overconfidence in the defensive capabilities of the Executor, followed by not having a chance to get out in the seconds between "Intensify forward firepower" and "So, that's what an A-wing tastes like".

    As a close third option "I really don't want to be around when Vader learns that I was in command of his ship when it blew up, especially if I survived somehow...".

    Jerjerrod is the true hero of the empire. Piett just got ganked.

    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

    Aww they deleted their stupid tweet and now my Simpsons clip is contextless

  • BlankzillaBlankzilla KOOKABUNGA LIVES Registered User regular
    Ha! Tag and Bink are confirmed to appear in the Han Solo movie.

    That's rad!

    All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast.

    HEY! I sell the digital codes from my comics every week! 1.75 a pop! PM me if you wanna know what's available!
    Jacques L'HommeLord_Asmodeus
  • ElaroElaro Mister No Fun AllowedRegistered User regular
    Who?

    "Most people don't look at the world through your asshole"
    Gvzbgul
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Some characters from the Dark Horse comics
    Basically the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern of Star Wars

    QRK7dOP.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR | 3DS Friend Code: 4399-2068-5090 | Switch Friend Code: SW-7440-9863-2027
    Blankzillaani_game_bum
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I was gonna give another "who?" but decided to just look it up

  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Evil R2 and C3PO from the new Marvel SW comics better show up eventually.

    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    MegaMek
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Along with Dr Aphra

    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: SkinnerSweet
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I don't think any of them are going to make it.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Ask me about my scrotalist agenda Registered User regular
    They're going to pull a Rogue One but with the entire cast of Star Wars.

  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    They're going to pull a Rogue One but with the entire cast of Star Wars.

    Death Star falls and everyone dies?

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    BWAAAAAM duh duh duh, dumdumdumdumdadadadabwahbwahbwaaaahhhhhh

    Oh dang. Is this gonna be the FFG RPG, or something else? I know Mike really talked up the FFG one a few years back.

    I would like to know more about the FFG rpg but I don't know really what to ask or start
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So, could someone spell out the outline of FFG's Star Wars system? Both in terms of what to buy and how it works?

    There are three core books, each of which is focused around a different facet of Star Wars.

    Edge of the Empire is the "I wanna be Han Solo" book. Everyone is living on the fridges of galactic society: you're bounty hunters or colonists or smugglers or mercenaries, etc. Every character has Obligation, which is basically something that follows you around and shows up every once in a while to complicate things. You could owe a debt to a Hutt, or you could be on the run from a trumped-up criminal charge, or maybe you're trying to save up money for your family living back home.

    Age of Rebellion is the "I wanna join the Rebellion" book. Player characters are part of the Rebellion and the campaigns are focused on fighting the Empire. Now, that doesn't mean everyone are soldiers. You have spies and hackers and diplomats so there are all kinds of missions you can run other than just "shoot stuff to win fight." Player characters in AoR have Duty, which is a specific focus that character has that is their personal drive in how best to defeat the Empire. Duty is cool because it can be used to introduce complications into missions, where players have an option to pursue their individual goal, even if it's not an official objective.

    Force and Destiny is the "I wanna be a Jedi" book. All player characters made using this book are Force users, but a starting player from F&D is not going to be a Jedi. Think Luke Skywalker at the start of A New Hope, maybe. The mechanic that players use in F&D is Morality, which basically measure how attuned a player is to the light or dark side of the Force. It's a lot more granular than Duty or Obligation.


    The core books are all stand-alone but they all use the same rule system and are fully compatible. A starting character from any one of the core books will be on par with a starting character from another core book. The books have advice on how to combine characters from the different books, so it's a matter of determining what sort of game you want to run and figuring out what books to get from there. There are some options in EotE and AoR for a character to be Force sensitive so you don't need F&D if a player really wants to be a Force-user. Still, everything well balanced experience-wise so you won't end up with the problem from earlier SW RPGs where Force users got to be good at EVERYTHING. Becoming more proficient at the Force means you don't get the tricks from your non-Force class at the same time.


    The dice system is proprietary but is very intuitive to learn. Skill checks are made by figuring out the difficulty of the check and the ability of the check. You upgrade a number of dice based on skills and circumstances, and it's a simple matter of comparing results. In addition to success and failure there are threats and advantage, so, for example, you could miss shooting a Stormtrooper but could hit the door panel behind him, preventing reinforcements from entering. Or you could hack into the system and get the information you needed, but your hack is noticed by the security system and alarms go off.

    So....
    Can I get the Age of Rebellion and Force and Destiny and make them work together?
    About the other books the specific class ones? I know I kind of wanted to get into it before but I found out you could not play or earn a Mandalorian suit

  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Ha! Tag and Bink are confirmed to appear in the Han Solo movie.

    That's rad!

    Commander Zoom
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    BWAAAAAM duh duh duh, dumdumdumdumdadadadabwahbwahbwaaaahhhhhh

    Oh dang. Is this gonna be the FFG RPG, or something else? I know Mike really talked up the FFG one a few years back.

    I would like to know more about the FFG rpg but I don't know really what to ask or start
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So, could someone spell out the outline of FFG's Star Wars system? Both in terms of what to buy and how it works?

    There are three core books, each of which is focused around a different facet of Star Wars.

    Edge of the Empire is the "I wanna be Han Solo" book. Everyone is living on the fridges of galactic society: you're bounty hunters or colonists or smugglers or mercenaries, etc. Every character has Obligation, which is basically something that follows you around and shows up every once in a while to complicate things. You could owe a debt to a Hutt, or you could be on the run from a trumped-up criminal charge, or maybe you're trying to save up money for your family living back home.

    Age of Rebellion is the "I wanna join the Rebellion" book. Player characters are part of the Rebellion and the campaigns are focused on fighting the Empire. Now, that doesn't mean everyone are soldiers. You have spies and hackers and diplomats so there are all kinds of missions you can run other than just "shoot stuff to win fight." Player characters in AoR have Duty, which is a specific focus that character has that is their personal drive in how best to defeat the Empire. Duty is cool because it can be used to introduce complications into missions, where players have an option to pursue their individual goal, even if it's not an official objective.

    Force and Destiny is the "I wanna be a Jedi" book. All player characters made using this book are Force users, but a starting player from F&D is not going to be a Jedi. Think Luke Skywalker at the start of A New Hope, maybe. The mechanic that players use in F&D is Morality, which basically measure how attuned a player is to the light or dark side of the Force. It's a lot more granular than Duty or Obligation.


    The core books are all stand-alone but they all use the same rule system and are fully compatible. A starting character from any one of the core books will be on par with a starting character from another core book. The books have advice on how to combine characters from the different books, so it's a matter of determining what sort of game you want to run and figuring out what books to get from there. There are some options in EotE and AoR for a character to be Force sensitive so you don't need F&D if a player really wants to be a Force-user. Still, everything well balanced experience-wise so you won't end up with the problem from earlier SW RPGs where Force users got to be good at EVERYTHING. Becoming more proficient at the Force means you don't get the tricks from your non-Force class at the same time.


    The dice system is proprietary but is very intuitive to learn. Skill checks are made by figuring out the difficulty of the check and the ability of the check. You upgrade a number of dice based on skills and circumstances, and it's a simple matter of comparing results. In addition to success and failure there are threats and advantage, so, for example, you could miss shooting a Stormtrooper but could hit the door panel behind him, preventing reinforcements from entering. Or you could hack into the system and get the information you needed, but your hack is noticed by the security system and alarms go off.

    So....
    Can I get the Age of Rebellion and Force and Destiny and make them work together?
    About the other books the specific class ones? I know I kind of wanted to get into it before but I found out you could not play or earn a Mandalorian suit

    Everything works together.

    Also, not true on the Mandalorian thing. They include stats for a basic Mandalorian suit of armor in the Bounty Hunter book, No Disintegrations.

  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Statistics for Mandalorians as a race, however, are only in an Age of Rebellion adventure module which is absolute bullshit.

    While each specific class book has new specialties for that specific class, the races and equipment in the books can be used in any game and theoretically could work for any character regardless of class. The books also contain great information on designing campaign stuff around those particular classes - the hired gun book, for example, details how to set up a mercenary company, look for contracts, etc. The explorer book talks about why such individuals are needed in this galaxy, what they might be looking for, how to do space Indiana Jones...

    DarkPrimus on
    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    Shadowen
  • pablo_pricepablo_price Registered User regular
    Aren’t mandalorians just humans?

    Gvzbgul
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Aren’t mandalorians just humans?

    I always thought of Mandalorians as like...humanoid aliens. Like, they look human, but they're not quite humans.

    Nintendo Switch FC: SW-5618-5257-5789 | Amazon Smile List
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Tag and Bink would be about Han's age, wouldn't they?

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I think in the old EU the Mandalorians were more of a culture of warriors, made up of many different species from all over the galaxy
    In the new canon I thiiiiiiiiink they're all just humans?

    QRK7dOP.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR | 3DS Friend Code: 4399-2068-5090 | Switch Friend Code: SW-7440-9863-2027
    Dark Raven XDarkPrimusmanwiththemachinegunJoolanderMegaMekLord_Asmodeus
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    maybe they got an advance copy of the WEG d6 rerelease

    Uh, wait, what? Go on.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    The Mandalorian stats are slightly different from "normal" humans, just like there are stats for Corellians in another sector splatbook that are slightly different. Without actually going to look at them, I think they get some different starting skills to represent that, generally speaking, their culture values combat (for Mandalorians) or piloting (for Corellians).

    DarkPrimus on
    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    maybe they got an advance copy of the WEG d6 rerelease

    Uh, wait, what? Go on.

    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/16/dont-underestimate-the-force/

    Tube wrote: »
    I was legit hoping that Shorty was somehow mistaken and the world wasn't that fucked
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Aren’t mandalorians just humans?

    I thought they were an ideal people followed not a race.

  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Madolorian was just the name of the monster

  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka What Would Nyarlathotep Do? Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Aren’t mandalorians just humans?

    I thought they were an ideal people followed not a race.

    They're based on Planet Mandalore, and the culture had to come from something, but they tend to vary between just being a warrior culture and being around the race of Mandalorians. The current Star Wars canon is that they're a warrior culture that came from Mandalorian people, who are basically human-adjacent.

  • Oh everybody in Star Wars is human adjacent, even Jabba the miserable turd, you leave somebody in one of those diaper tanks too long and I bet they come out lookin like Jabba

  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Nothing was ever said about Rotta since the movie
    4pl3etnp0imk.png


  • Gah! Merciful Christ, kill it, kill it!

    ZonugalDouglasDangerMidnitemasterofmetroiddarunia106StiltssarukunLord_Asmodeus
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Not on Any Podcast or Affliated Don't Even Own a MikeRegistered User regular
    So uh, whats a Porg?
    They are adding gerbil chestbursters?

    VayBJ4e.png
This discussion has been closed.