As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    The great thing about that kit is anything you mess up while learning is just weathering!

J on
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    qd1uzwr24gw7.jpg

I managed to paint a thing!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    That is one of the better yellow models I've ever seen painted. Good job, that is not an easy color to paint!

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Thank you, Darke!

Let me lower expectations by patting creaky werewolves since I just remembered that I can upload to imgur for abuse and share the link here:

CTwTDpP.jpg
    Amz32AW.jpg

• Options
    Your painting style is really awesome and those are really awesome minis.

Also microset tastes even worse than microsol.

• Options
    Thanks, J!

@Dr_Keenbean had been a big influence. Blame him.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    @J has been a big influence on me. That's why I now post pictures once every ... lets say 14 months? ;D

I had expected to make more progress with this current Gunpla, but then I went down the rabbit hole of metal detail parts and panel scribing and ... well, some day, guys.

• Options
    Pics pics pics

• Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    Painted 40 poxwalkers

amoNjYw.jpg

l2pckcC.jpg

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Thing: Finished.

6rsybgy501ch.jpg
    ew2abqyrktcq.jpg
    zdq1fwnz2td7.jpg
    18w20xyq1aj5.jpg
    xvkdvcl4pw7f.jpg
    xr51h02a2ca7.jpg

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    So what are people's opinion on P3 paints? I take months long breaks from painting and it's a huge pain in the ass mixing my vallejo paints well when they've settled. Not to mention they get kinda gummy.

I picked up a couple pots, and they work really nice. But I'm wondering if it's worth investing in 20-30+ colors.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I use them. Their range isn't big enough to use them exclusively, but their colours all have good spots. I use Jack Bone as all of my tan colours base. It's a nice dark bone colour. I use Thrall Flesh for most of my final green highlights, as it's a nice, washed out pale green. Coal Blak is pretty much a must have (it's actually really really really really really dark green).

However, transfer them to dropper bottles ASAP. The pots they come in are awful and after a few dozen opens/closes the lid hinge snaps, the little tap breaks off, and the lid starts to deteriorate, causing the paint to start to dry out.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Is coal black really dark? I was wondering since the pallets I've seen make it look blue. Like really blue. Was wondering how that could be true.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    its more like old school midnight blue hydro...

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Coal black is gorgeous, like a really dark turqoise.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Kneel wrote: »
    Coal black is gorgeous, like a really dark turqoise.

I really like it for making shading mixes, since shadows aren't actually black.

• Options
    I did the thing

A80N4Bv.jpg

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    So who is 01?

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Having regained some spirit, I dug through my big box of crafting supplies and found some still sort of usable clay. Figured I'd try my hand at making some bases.

dvg0td8mzvs7.jpg

Cobblestones turned out to be pretty easy and don't look half bad, if I say so myself.

9qq3ll3h0c5g.jpg

Threw some of the crumbles into puddles of glue, maybe they'll look okay as swampy stuff? We'll see!

v1dhp9p6fgr4.jpg

And here's a dog testing out the new base after I slapped some paint on it. I'm pretty pleased thus far.

Now to wake up tomorrow to find the paint has reacted with the clay and burned my house down.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    J wrote: »
    I did the thing

awesome gundam

Just curious, have you been pointed towards the SE++ GunPla thread?
    Don't want to seem like I'm chasing you out of this thread, but I'm sure the handful of people that don't post in both this thread and that one would love to see your work too.

• Options
    That Land Raider sold within a day. Lovely.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    How do you describe your pretty models on ebay since "pro painted" is code for "not even close"?

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    How do you describe your pretty models on ebay since "pro painted" is code for "not even close"?

Funnily enough Angel Giraldez sells his stuff advertised as pro painted.

• Options
    I still list it as 'pro-painted', safe in the knowledge that while I can't approach the quality of Komets or Giraldez, it still shits over a large percentage of the other 'pro-painted' auctions on eBay.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    So who is 01?
    venf0fv0yv6w.jpg
    Sorry
    Not sorry

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I still list it as 'pro-painted', safe in the knowledge that while I can't approach the quality of Komets or Giraldez, it still shits over a large percentage of the other 'pro-painted' auctions on eBay.

Do you also make sure to add L@@K in the listing as well?

• Options

Do you also make sure to add L@@K in the listing as well?

And don't forget 'W@W!'.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I painted a thiiiiiiing!

I swear this is the first model I've painted in a million years. Or like 2 months.

Konflikt 47 Sherman-T The T stands for Tesla.

90ktgwlaqi9s.jpg

Better pics after weathering.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    I painted a thiiiiiiing!

I swear this is the first model I've painted in a million years. Or like 2 months.

90ktgwlaqi9s.jpg

Ohh that looks hot, I just finished my first BA us airborne platoon last week

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    uiwwyz5whxiz.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the overall appearance of these, especially considering how easy they were to make. Probably gonna be doing the same thing for the next crew.

Painted up and poured resin onto the swampy bases; they're looking okay so far but we'll see how they turn out once they set.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I want to paint my scouts as if they have five o clock shadow, like they've been put in the bush for a few days. Any suggestions for how to go about it so they don't just look like Fred Flintstone?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I am so envious of all of your abilities. Good pics from all of you over the last few pages.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I want to paint my scouts as if they have five o clock shadow, like they've been put in the bush for a few days. Any suggestions for how to go about it so they don't just look like Fred Flintstone?

A really really really thin glaze of dark grey would be my bet.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I painted a thiiiiiiing!

Tesla...tank...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HUWUtTZvK4

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I painted a thiiiiiiing!

Tesla...tank...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HUWUtTZvK4

Knew it would be that song before I even clicked.
    I have listened to that soundtrack so much, it's really good.

On topic, I'm a chump and never make time to paint plastic things!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Stop being a chump!

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I need your guys advice. I went overboard with oxide weathering, just....... dont ask. I had a few opinions that ranged, but I'm afraid some people are being too nice

I am kind of disappointed with how it started coming out, so I rushed the wash, and then realised the bright bricks are too bright, and the base color should have been the darker bricks instead. I haven't drybrushed yet but its going to move even lighter across the brick.

I am pretty sure I should strip the roof and this weathering just doesnt work on wide flat surfaces, what do you guys think?
    spoiler for horrifying lazyness
    QeLoFn5.jpg?1
    I'm stuck at 'do I fix the roof's weathering by making it uniform' or 'strip it and dont ever do this again'

It's from the reaper kickstarter, but It's not the flexible bones material, its a hard plastic. I don't have a good way to test the material in simple green or anything. Has anyone had experience with stripping this stuff?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    By the way, if you hate models that feature 18-ish near-identical components, each in two parts that have mould lines running down their fiddly lengths that can (and did) cause knife-in-thumb shenanigans during clean-up...

Then you might want to give the Primaris Repulsor a miss (and not build two like this pillark).

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Joke's on you, I gave it a miss the moment I saw it!

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    By the way, if you hate models that feature 18-ish near-identical components, each in two parts that have mould lines running down their fiddly lengths that can (and did) cause knife-in-thumb shenanigans during clean-up...

Then you might want to give the Primaris Repulsor a miss (and not build two like this pillark).

Don't listen to this person.

Everyone know spilt blood to the hobby gods increases performance in game.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.