As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Batman vs Orcs 2: Shadow of Wardor

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    You must need a really specific build to take advantage of brutal executions because I can almost never reach the overcharge on the might meter before I get hit

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Javen wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Some things about the true ending
    you see one of the Nazgul get hit by the rock in the ROTK movie, and I think it's hilarious that they decided that's the one that would secretly be Talion all along

In the final cutscene, when the Eye explodes, there's a little blue spark that flies away, which I assume is Celebrimbor's soul escaping for future games

aaaaaand finally I think it's kind of interesting that they do come down on the side of "doing evil things in pursuit of an ostensibly noble goal still leads to one becoming a monster" although they only did that in a cutscene and everything up to that point was presented as being super badass
    i just love that the ending is literally "and then Talion died on the way to his home planet the end goodbye"
    It's like Talion started as a regular Ranger class in a D&D campaign, became so super powerful that the DM could no longer throw anything at him that he couldn't defeat, then just got fed up and went with 'rocks fall, party dies'

I actually thought (ending spoilers)
    Talion was going to die but thematically this is even better. When unnecessary sexy spider lady says something along the lines of "you can still do this but it requires sacrifice" I thought it meant Talion would cop it. But no, it meant that if he tried to use a ring of power created by Sauron for good,
    he would fall just like Isildur.

This is why Aragon ended up being the smarted. The only way to win is to not play at all etc

Karl on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    So how does this play on PC?

I'm running a i5 2500k, GTX 970 and 16GB ram, so I think I meet the recommended specs?

It runs pretty damn well.

I have the same cpu and a 1070 and I'm running on ultra settings with no problems.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    About 3/4 of my playtime today was spent doing online vendettas. I should get around to completing this, the second area, sometime next week.

edited October 2017
    I just did the tutorial for fortress defences, if this is what the post game is I'm going to love the post game, It's intense

The mission for this was awesome and when the game finally clicked for me

Prohass on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I got caught up in the vendetta cycle too, this is a good-ass video game

I also made fun of my friends for being killed by such weak orcs (Ignoring the fact that early on I got got by a total nobody with nothing special about him because I flubbed the survival QTE)

I love how when you're in the menu the orcs make like grumbling noises depending on who's your current target. If it's a bard he hums instead.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Sadly the only bards I've seen were two early on, and none since I unlocked domination. I want a spoony bard overlord, dammit!

I've run into a few so they're relatively common. I think the marauder tribe is my favourite

Also every time I elven swiftness right at an Orc for a front on stealth kill i think of this

https://youtu.be/DPXG4pdPj4w

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    FINALLY online vendettas unlocked for me so i'm 3/5 for the vengenace set. I guess they unlock when you do that mission where you repeatedly send the ONE BLACK MAN in middle earth to mug orcs for you. Classy, WB.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Wasn't sure if they actually imported characters from the first game because I hadn't seen it yet (though that wouldn't make sense since they made that while Nemesis Forge thing) but I finally ran into Bag Head the Idiot last night.

...I might've made him too strong...

edited October 2017
    Thinking I may set it back up to nemesis difficulty since I've only died once or twice since I set it to normal. I've unlocked most of the abilities so hopefully I'll be able to handle it.

Wish there was a setting between the two.

Like, I want to die more because I want to do cool nemesis stuff. But I don't want to die all the time.

Aistan on
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    This is the first game in a while that has me antsy to get home from work to play. Love it.

It's had a few down sides though. Your first dominated giant orc friend kept popping in and repeating the same lines of dialogue for a bit, and after my sword was broken by a dude, I dominated him but didn't get it back. That last one might not be a bug but it just annoyed me.

Kaplar wrote: »
    This is the first game in a while that has me antsy to get home from work to play. Love it.

It's had a few down sides though. Your first dominated giant orc friend kept popping in and repeating the same lines of dialogue for a bit, and after my sword was broken by a dude, I dominated him but didn't get it back. That last one might not be a bug but it just annoyed me.

I think you have to kill them to get back broken weapons.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Kaplar wrote: »

I think you have to kill them to get back broken weapons.

Eh. It's fine I guess. He broke my sword when we fought during his betrayal. So I sent him to the front lines of a fortress invasion and let him bleed out.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Aistan wrote: »
    Thinking I may set it back up to nemesis difficulty since I've only died once or twice since I set it to normal. I've unlocked most of the abilities so hopefully I'll be able to handle it.

Wish there was a setting between the two.

Like, I want to die more because I want to do cool nemesis stuff. But I don't want to die all the time.

I've had it bumped up to nemesis for a while now (I'm ~lvl30) and haven't had too many problems so far. I've mostly only died to a) really rough captain skills (tanks with anti-vault, easily enraged ologs) or b) letting myself get overwhelmed by multiple captains or huge groups and being too stubborn to run away. It hasn't felt unfair or overly difficult at all, so you'll probably be fine.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    This game has the worst and least satisfying loot box opening I've seen in a game to date

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    My Bard is also my only Marauder, so he's currently the overlord of my first fortress

Also my most persistent nemesis (who I haven't seen since I unlocked domination, sadly) is a dude whose name I can't remember called the "Ancient One" who is guaranteed to defy death twice every single fight

I really want him to come fuck with me again so I can recruit him

I met a rather interesting character as I was doing a few missions for once. He kind of showed up out of nowhere as I was doing a different captain's mission, talked for a bunch about how much he loved pain and how that was good because i'd been making life painful for quite a few orcs over my time here. Then demanded I do the same to him before stomping towards me. Previously I had been fighting level 10-15 orcs of various abilities, so seeing a level 23 Fiery Terror Commander (EPIC) Olog-Hai was a bit of a shock.

I decided that discretion was the best option so ran away, but he was pretty interesting so I kept an eye on him. A mission later and a chase mission popped up for him so I figured i'd go watch. Was fairly certain who I was going to put my money on even before I press my thumb on the scale by pinning his target.
    B70985C953A2AC66C902F6916CA0BE90DA517854

Then I go after the warlord, who he happens to be a bodyguard of. Manage to give him the runaround and sneak up behind the warlord to finish him off before the big guy showed up again. Once the warlord was dead he ran off.

Then another chase came up for him and I helped him snag his target.

After a few more missions he showed up out of nowhere once more, saying I had killed his blood brother. Not sure who he was talking about but he brought a shitload of friends so I ran away once more.

He's a fun guy, once you get past the initial unpleasantness. I'll try to keep him around for later.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Got to the endgame and I can see why people were put off about this. Leveling has gone to a crawl, with is a problem because
    The level cap is 60, not 50 like I thought, so I need to gain 13 more levels before I can start maxxing out orcs for real.

It really feels like this is going to be some major pulling teeth.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited October 2017
    Had a bit of a surprise when I went back to Minas Ithil to do the main quest there. I was dicking around a bit, killing random orcs and running down worms to fill out the nemesis tree before hand when all of a sudden STOMP STOMP STOMP AHH THERE YOU ARE, RANGER! YOU THOUGHT YOU GOT AWAY BUT I FOUND YOU!

There's Az-Gang Pain Seeker's gigantic level 25 spiky ass running towards me, he had run all the way here across the mountains after me when I changed maps. I still don't want to kill him so I run off, but when I check the army he's shoved himself into the hierarchy here alongside all the level 8s and 10s.

Sorry, Gondor peeps. This giant crazy dude hates me and now he's become your problem as well.

E: I have a cloak that I need to get five mounted kills in order to upgrade. So let's just push left on the d-pad and get my caragor and...

DID YOU SUMMON A DANGEROUS BEAST!? WELL, HERE I AM HAHAHAHAHA!

Aistan on
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    How does the endgame work? The siege defences?

Is the grind mainly about levelling your orc's up so they're strong enough to take on the attacking orcs?

This is maybe the stupidest story that has ever been written? Like someone came into the office with a big bag of overdone cliches and just upended it into a vat with random lord of the rings themed words.

I don't really give a shit that what they are doing is incongruous with the lore. That never really bothered me outside of a "well... what's the point of choosing this setting then?" annoyance. But they didn't even try to write a good story to hang onto the framework. Everyone is an idiot, everything is predictable, and at no point is any of it satisfying or relatable.

That was all Act 1 though i'm sure it gets much better in Act 2 :rotate:

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Act 2 actually does have some cool stuff in it.

Acts 3 and 4 are a mixture of cool and mind blowingly, what-was-the-point-of-even-playing levels of shit narrative choices.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Put a lot of effort into recruiting this olog hai captain and he betrays me 20 minutes later. Asshole!

And Bruz really needs to stop sneaking up on me.

Az-Gang Pain Seeker got picked to be the primary captain during a story quest. So he's dead now.

I hope he comes back.

act 2 has some awesome stuff in it, overall the story is just kind of there for me, neither offensively bad or really good.

I hate that Gollum is in this

It smacks of desperation (just like it did in the first game) and I just hate hearing his stupid voice

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    If not for Gollum it'd have been perfectly in line with something you'd see in a MERP sourcebook.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I've never liked gollum

not in the books, not in the movies, not in the last game

and there he is, again
    and I'm forced to work with him, again

I haven't actually bought this game yet but the DLC news caught my attention

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    edited October 2017
    I'm almost all the way through act 2 and he hasn't shown up again after the initial meeting with him so I don't think he's in much of it. I'm going to go rogue and actually say I'm enjoying some of the characters, especially bruz or whatever his name is and his storyline, I think that's the highlight

Also what's the DLC? I'd like to play as the elf assassin chick but I'm not sure about the Gondor guy, seems kind of similar to taion in terms of personality and archetype

Prohass on
    Prohass wrote: »
    I'm almost all the way through act 2 and he hasn't shown up again after the initial meeting with him so I don't think he's in much of it. I'm going to go rogue and actually say I'm enjoying some of the characters, especially bruz or whatever his name is and his storyline, I think that's the highlight

Also what's the DLC? I'd like to play as the elf assassin chick but I'm not sure about the Gondor guy, seems kind of similar to taion in terms of personality and archetype

Gondor guy's campaign is probably going to deal a lot with using human allies and basically running around all low-powered like.

Elf chick will probably have her own power set.

They should have a dlc campaign where you make your own Orc and play as them

edited October 2017
    Also there are two new orc tribe as DLC as well. (Slaughter tribe and Outlaw Tribe)

Also I've apparently put 50 hours into this game.

I'm like less than halfway through the endgame.

Undead Scottsman on
    I just avenged BBW_hunter420

edited October 2017
    I feel like I'm the only one who loved this whole dumb story, act three and four is just delightfully over the top and awesome. I'm a lord of the rings nerd but I genuinely thought it was neat and good fun. My only issue is (act 4 spoiler)
    as much as I love wraith talion, is that the only skin option for the act 4 mode?

Also I love getting notifications that people failed while attacking my fort. Mwahahaa

Prohass on
    edited October 2017
    This endgame is really starting to piss me off.

Get orc, need to level orc. Send orc on missions, fast travel to mission point, run mission, repeat until max level.

Can't assign him to the hierarchy until he's no longer in the area; fast travel to fortress, game automatically assigns him to a beast hunt mission. At this point, these give me no XP and he's level capped, so it's just a huge waste of fucking time. Fast travel to nearest waypoint, run to mission, complete mission in like 2 seconds, can't assign him to the heirarchy until he's no longer in the area; fast travel to fortress, game automatically signs him to a beast hunt mission AGAIN.

After the fourth time it did this IN A ROW, I just quit in frustration. There are 20 FUCKING ORCS running around in this area, and he's the only one that the game is assigning missions to.

EDIT: This game really needs the ability to cancel follower missions.

Undead Scottsman on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Is act 4 the end game or is it after that?

I was hoping there'd be something new after defending each fort, but it was just two forts getting attacked at the same time.

Prohass wrote: »
    They should have a dlc campaign where you make your own Orc and play as them

let me be a fucking nazgul

I just avenged BBW_hunter420

I avenged Microsoft Powerpoint once.