As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RAM: MSpaint Drawing game: Round Three results (pg. 6)

JebusUDJebusUD Adventure!Candy IslandRegistered User regular
edited November 2017 in Social Entropy++
What is RAM?
Random Artistic Memory is a just for fun drawing game. The goal is to draw iconic images strictly from memory. These could be most anything that people should know from pop culture or just living in general. Corporate logos. Street Signs. Cartoon Characters. Etc. Accuracy is what we are looking for.

It has been named RAM, because much like the RAM in our computers, the second memory is needed for something else it goes away. We are thus left with only vague and Piccaso-esque impressions of what life is really like. We will be comparing and contrasting our vague and terrible recollection of reality.

How do I play RAM?
First an icon will be given to our "artists". You will then proceed to draw whatever is assigned in MSpaint (or other program if you wish, as long as it is saved as a JPG). The drawings will then be PM'ed to me by the end of the drawing period. this will perhaps be 2 or 3 days, so people will be able to draw at their leisure.

As mentioned previously the goal here is accuracy not artistic merit. What I will ask for will always be the most current official version of an icon. It need not be realistic looking. You don't need to be a good artist to play.

If I were for example to say "draw the Taco Bell logo", we might get some submissions with the old bell logo, some where the bell is the wrong direction, some where there is no bell and is instead just a taco. Your submission will almost certainly be incorrect in some way. Don't worry, this will happen to almost everyone. Currently the game is non-competitive, so there is no scoring. I am considering ways to make it into teams and have it be a competition but currently we are just playing for fun.

At the end of the drawing period, I will combine all drawings into one large drawing. We will then have some comparison of drawings. Example: % of totally correct drawings, or % of people who drew the logo in reverse. Etc.

Example

Here I drew the Taco Bell logo, from memory, as referenced above.

j57rxfhvfe29.jpg

Wow, what artistic merit. and here is the actual taco bell logo.

9onfashb1br9.jpg

As you can see, my memory is nothing but a nightmarish world of errors and absurdity. While the colors are mostly correct, they are inverted, and I used the gold from the old logo. The bell is backward and the text is on the top instead of the bottom where it should be. Clearly I cannot be trusted as a witness. This would be one of many drawings combined at the end and put on display for a laugh.

RULES

NO GOOGLE!
These drawings are to be strictly from memory. Some of the icons drawn could be from places you might frequent regularly. If you happen to see a logo or icon, no big deal, but please do not try and memorize it or write it down in person or anything. There should be no way to reference the item in person while you are drawing. Only I will have the official icon to compare.

Keep the drawings small. These will be combined into a collage at the end of every round. For ease of combination they should not be larger than say... 300x300 at the top end. Closer to 200x200 would be preferred. If you draw them larger please resize them smaller before submission.

Sign up in the usual way in bold and lime as shown ahead. !SIGNUP There is currently no set time to start, but it will be sometime early next week. Since it is not competitive people are free to join later, but please request to signup, so I can keep track of who I need a submission from.

Questions or request for clarification like this

Playerlist
Dr. Flamingo
Godmode
Goose!
Dex Dynamo
DisruptedCapitalist
Jedoc
miscellaneousinsanity
Mr Fuzzbutt
#pipe
peas
HeadCreeps
Perrsun
Bedlam
Fishman
Raijin Quickfoot
Blackbeard7
Veldrin
Jandaru
Flarne
discrider
Tofystedeth
Maximum
JayKaos

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
but they're listening to every word I say
JebusUD on

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    !SIGNUP

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    !SIGNUP

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    !SIGNUP

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    !SIGNUP

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    !SIGNUP

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    !SIGNUP

818ef70h1vay.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    !SIGNUP

i saw the article on the 150-participant version of this the other day, i expect great things

*won't link it just in case any of the same logos get used

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    !SIGNUP

i saw the article on the 150-participant version of this the other day, i expect great things

*won't link it just in case any of the same logos get used

I caught that on Facebook as well. It was the inspiration for this. We won't be limiting ourselves to just corporate logos however. Corporate logos are great for it though because it is the kind of thing you see all the time but never really remember.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    !SIGNUP

broken image link
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Peas wrote: »
    Can i signup if i am from some other parts of the world lol

You can of course, however I can't promise you will know whatever the icon is. I guess you could make something up based off the request of what you imagine it to be.

I am in the US, so these will be things people in North America will recognize the best, but many icons should have some international recognition as well.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I expect this to be no less entertaining than EPYC and eagerly await the results.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    !SIGNUP

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    a surprising number of companies seem to have logos of huge dongers for some reason

broken image link
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Can't decide if I want to signup or just watch the chaos. Will have to think on it.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    !SIGNUP

• Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    Can't decide if I want to signup or just watch the chaos. Will have to think on it.

Since we aren't doing it competitively and I am planning on releasing the results every round. So, people are free to join and drop out as we go for now.

If we were to do it competitively, I think we would need to have a set timeframe and set teams. I think the best way to do this would be to have a panel of 3 judges deciding which team was more accurate.

We will definitely be doing the first round as planned for now, but if people are interested in making it competitive we could adjust later.

Thoughts?

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    !Signup

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Alright, I'll !Signup for now, and we'll see if I can continue to spare the time.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    !Signup

We'll see what happens

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm a lover, not a fighter. Although I'm not an artist either, so whether or not this is a competition makes very little difference to me.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Alright. Since signups have slowed we will start tomorrow and have the drawing deadline be approx. End of Wednesday Central time.

I will put the item to be drawn in a spoiler tag. You may want to hold off on reading it until just before you draw so as not to incidentally contaminate the result.

Anyone else who wants to sign up for this round is free to do so until instructions are given. Otherwise you will have to wait for the next round.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    !SIGNUP

honesty time I didn't know how to lime and just quoted a post

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    huh they fixed the color tag at some point I guess, it was broken for a while recently

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    !SIGNUP

0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    !SIGNUP

• Options
    Hello there class. Welcome to our first day of drawing from memory. Prepare to embarrass yourself and those around you have a good time drawing.

I've tried to keep this one broad for our international players, but we will be starting with a tough one just to see how it goes.

You'll want to close the extra tabs on your browser for this one.

The drawing is something you've all seen pretty regularly unless you took a time portal to get here, in which case welcome and sorry we've all wrecked up the place.

The item to be drawn is
    The Wikipedia Logo

Good luck memor....memornauts. Aim for Apollo 11 but don't overshoot and hit 13. See you on the other side.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    This looks really fun...I saw the article with all the logos and immediately was super curious how I would do.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    This looks really fun...I saw the article with all the logos and immediately was super curious how I would do.

You're still welcome to join.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    ...Wikipedia has a logo??

Oops

godmode on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    godmode wrote: »
    ...Wikipedia has a logo??

(Edit: removing the hint)

Yeah they have one or two different ones.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Saying what the logo is kind of defeats the purpose of the game.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Oooh I didn't realize people were guessing

I mean, about the brands, not the logos themselves - I'm not looking up the logos before I draw (that will be clear at judgement time)

godmode on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I think I did pretty ok!

One thing I'm realizing that's going to skew the game a little, companies tend to have a few different variations of their logo, especially when it comes to text placement.

A large percentage of corporate logos are an icon/graphic element combine with a text element, say the company's symbol paired with the company's name. In different situations the name may appear underneath or to one side or not at all.

It's not a deal breaker or anything it's just something to think about. After submitting my wiki logo I googled it and, even though the orientation I drew is used sometimes, it is more often a different variation.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Looking up the logo now and, uuhhhhhh yeah, I was close? almost?

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    I think I did pretty ok!

One thing I'm realizing that's going to skew the game a little, companies tend to have a few different variations of their logo, especially when it comes to text placement.

A large percentage of corporate logos are an icon/graphic element combine with a text element, say the company's symbol paired with the company's name. In different situations the name may appear underneath or to one side or not at all.

It's not a deal breaker or anything it's just something to think about. After submitting my wiki logo I googled it and, even though the orientation I drew is used sometimes, it is more often a different variation.

There will be some leeway, but generally it is best to assume that it is the most current, English, most common version.
    godmode wrote: »
    Oooh I didn't realize people were guessing

I mean, about the brands, not the logos themselves - I'm not looking up the logos before I draw (that will be clear at judgement time)

To be clear people aren't guessing what the brand is, it's more that given the timeline I think it's best people don't know until just before drawing otherwise you might have looked today and drawn on Wednesday and seen the logo about 12 times accidentally. Although for the people not playing it could be funny to wait and see.