As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Indie Games] would be great on Switch!

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    DayZ
    There are varying degrees of failure, too, though. Unsung Story was a failure by it's original company but the company that took it over seems like they're at least trying to steer it in the right direction.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    No matter the raw percentage of failures, expecting people to back games after theyve thrown away money on several different kickstarters and seen no returns, or bad returns, is super unfair to the consumer

Oh absolutely, I’m done with it aside from actual low budget indie stuff at this point. High profile devs or devs that only use Kickstarter for decently budgeted games could use a more traditional fundraising method if they really wanted to.

Just saw the failure rate being discussed and it made me curious what the actual rate was.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Star Citizen
    Brolo wrote: »
    somebody tell me it is going to be okay

It'll be great, just as long as you've spent at least USD$10,000 on in-game gubbins.

EDIT: Jesus fucking christ, their website claims they're raised over $161 million dollars.

There are AAA games with smaller budgets than that getting released all the time, why is Star Citizen taking so long?

because it's trying to do too much

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    One Weird Trick Developers That Ship Games Don't Want You To Know!
    You have to tell yourselves "okay time to ship this game" and work on eliminating bugs and nothing else, or else feature creep and gameplay loop iteration will go on for all eternity.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    DayZ
    I am legitimately surprised by how much I'm digging Cuphead

It's also less hard than I thought it'd be, I got to World 2 where you can see your death count and it's only at 28 so far

Controls like a dream though, like wow. It's funny though because the art was always the thing for me with this game, but when you're in the thick of it you can't even really stop to appreciate it so it ends up feeling like a non-entity

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Spy Party

Olly moss is working on a game. This might not be related to it.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Star Citizen

Olly moss is working on a game. This might not be related to it.

@Austin Walker

Oh who am I kidding, he is probably super aware this exists.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    somebody tell me it is going to be okay

It'll be great, just as long as you've spent at least USD$10,000 on in-game gubbins.

EDIT: Jesus fucking christ, their website claims they're raised over $161 million dollars.

There are AAA games with smaller budgets than that getting released all the time, why is Star Citizen taking so long?

You know Freelancer, that game that Chris Roberts made that is basically the basis for Freelancer and everybody loves, so much so that they say "well if this project has Chris Roberts, the man who made Freelancer, heading it, then it'll be great!"

Chris Roberts never actually released the game. His company (Digital Anvil) got bought out by Microsoft after Freelancer went 18 months past its 3 year deadline. He was booted off the team and people who were not invested in his crazy, possibly impossible vision were able to ship it.

Now he's got As Much Money As He Wants and we get to see whether he'll ever actually catch his dream.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    There is no chance that GARF is from a video game he’s working on.

THIS is from the video game he’s working on!

rhylith on
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    DayZ
    I beat cuphead today while I was on the phone, it actually really helped me get in the flow.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Steamworld Dig 2 is very good.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    I beat cuphead today while I was on the phone, it actually really helped me get in the flow.

Sort of like how having my trainers yell directions at me while I was shooting really helped me improve my aim and trigger pull.

JtgVX0H.png
    Spy Party

Tiny Metal looks like Advanced Wars PC ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaDL8VhhaJg

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/10/17/sony-music-entertainment-indie-games-publishing-label/

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Star Citizen

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/10/17/sony-music-entertainment-indie-games-publishing-label/

this is also coming out on Switch

so that marks both Sony and Microsoft putting out Switch titles

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    And PS4 apparently, according to the game's twitter.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    What is that fantasy advance wars-like called again?

I'm super excited for both Tiny Metal and it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Star Citizen
    turtleant wrote: »
    What is that fantasy advance wars-like called again?

I'm super excited for both Tiny Metal and it.

WarGroove?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I had mentioned the first DLC character for indie Smashlike, Rivals of Aether. They have now released two more, both are part of a pack for five dollars which is an extremely reasonable price really.

https://youtu.be/pdq740fS6jo

A poison arrow frog monk and...

https://youtu.be/jGLgSZTmUVU

A hyper light drifter! ...Okay, an original character obviously based off HLD who is a panther lady from the future. She fights like Marth to an extent with a tipper mechanic.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    Thats funny because the other indie smash, Brawlout, actually has Hyper Light Drifter

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Huh, I had not even heard of Brawlout. Will have to look into it, as I love me some Smash.

I had first thought Clairen was straight up meant to be an HLD crossover since their previous DLC character was Ori from Ori and the Blind Forest, but she seems to be just kind of a visual homage. Both she and Ranno are fun to play. Ranno combos like no one's business and his tongue and poison darts feel pretty good to use. Though his down special is super weird since you toss out a bubble that you can seal your opponent into like with his tongue special, but it's got a bit of a lengthy animation and your opponent can also knock you into the bubble too, so it feels like it's more hassle than it's worth. Clairen is pretty fast and good at spacing (go figure), but feels like you really need to hit with her tip to do any appreciably fast killing, so she ends up being a bit tricky to play, but fairly rewarding.

Spy Party
    Ranno is super fun

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    He feels really great to play. I had sort of settled on Etalus as my main previously (dunking fools is always fun) but Ranno might edge him out. Of course I don't really have anyone to play it with in real life anymore, so I should probably bite the bullet and start playing online.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    DayZ
    YaYa wrote: »

this is also coming out on Switch

so that marks both Sony and Microsoft putting out Switch titles

Speaking of failed Kickstarters, Tiny Metal's devs originally Kickstarted a JRPG codenamed Project Phoenix four years ago that made ten times its $100k budget but still hasn't been completed. Last year they popped back up with a Kickstarter for Tiny Metal which failed to get funded. Tiny Metal is still happening though cause they secured a publisher.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    DayZ
    I looked up the Brawlout HLD trailer and wow that looks hella smash and also really fun

I'd really love a Smashlike but it's a bunch of indie game characters. that'd be so fucking rad

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I'd really love a Smashlike but it's a bunch of indie game characters. that'd be so fucking rad

Well, on the subject of kickstarters, this just finished the other day:

https://youtu.be/EAkqzko1cEQ

Spy Party
    I have become a god among frogs

Ranno is a super fun froggo

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Looks like the devs behind the Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker might be catching onto the idea that their system of asking questions is cool in theory but maddening in practice,
    There's now a new way to traverse the Dekkerverse...
    1. Click the dropdown button at the right of the text box for suggested questions.
    2. Click a question, watch the video.
    3. Repeat.

Use the button as much as you like, or ignore it, it's up to you! Asking for suggested questions adds one to your hint tally, so if you don't type at all you're certain to pick up our 'hinty aftertaste' achievement.

At launch there are just under 1000 suggested questions available, which will enable you to easily finish the game, leaving 500+ responses as keyboard 'easter eggs' if you want to find them.

We really hope this new input system makes the game more accessible, and gives veterans a good reason to head back to the couch for a replay too...

DayZ
    I was just coming here to post that

fuck yeah sword dating game

DayZ
    Cool local indie dev just put his new game, Desert Child, up on KS. Not gonna link to it obviously but here's a cool vid

Desert Child is a Racing RPG set in a dusty world where your only friends are a vintage hoverbike and a bowl of ramen noodles. ​
    It’s the rags-to-riches story of a broke young racer who fights through gangsters, bounty hunters and pancake cravings to enter the Championship and get off Earth before it E-X-P-L-O-D-E-S (metaphorically).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiHRdHGWHf0

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    DayZ

Listen this is great and all but Twitter has taught me that swords are definitely lesbians.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Spy Party

Well, on the subject of kickstarters, this just finished the other day:

https://youtu.be/EAkqzko1cEQ

Of the couple attempts there's been at something like this, this looks like the best one

It's just missing something from Supergiant and maybe like Meat Boy before it really hits all the best beats

6F32U1X.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Star Citizen
    Cool local indie dev just put his new game, Desert Child, up on KS. Not gonna link to it obviously but here's a cool vid

Desert Child is a Racing RPG set in a dusty world where your only friends are a vintage hoverbike and a bowl of ramen noodles. ​
    It’s the rags-to-riches story of a broke young racer who fights through gangsters, bounty hunters and pancake cravings to enter the Championship and get off Earth before it E-X-P-L-O-D-E-S (metaphorically).

dang, that music

I feel like I've heard that before

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    that music with that aesthetic reminds me of cowboy bebop

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Sociable Soccer hit early access on Steam today.

Sociable Soccer is the new game from the guy behind Sensible Soccer (which is one of the best games ever made etc.)

I've messed around with it for around 30 minutes and I'm pretty optimistic about it so far.
    Early access is early access and things could always go wrong, but this seems to have got the feel of the old Sensi games right.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    That rabbit video on page 4 is about the same as what happens to me every PUBG game where I have to run for the circle

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Shorty wrote: »

dang, that music

I feel like I've heard that before

It's a remix of Apache (recognizable bit starts ~0:19).

Houk the Namebringer on
    DayZ
    that music with that aesthetic reminds me of cowboy bebop

Yeah bebop and akira are among his big influences for the game

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    New Zachtronics game announced a few days ago! And released to super polished early access a couple of days later! It's out now!

It's basically a sequel to Codex of Alchemical Engineering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj689znjxpg

broken image link
This discussion has been closed.