As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Borderlands] Sorry, your Vault is on another planet...

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Really wish gearbox would say something about 3 , even if it’s just screen shots or design goals or something.

We already got a Borderlands 3

It was made by Telltale

5gsowHm.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    It'll be interesting to see what direction they end up going, whenever it actually gets unveiled. Hopefully the reason why it's been quiet is that they're actually doing a lot of under-the-hood systems design work to try to make things more... fun? And try to tone down the bullet-sponginess of higher difficulties/end-game.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Gearbox eventually tuned Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel to have much better drop rates. The Pre-Sequel drop rates were actually pretty good out of the gate to begin with.

I thought Borderlands 2 was a much-improved sequel over the first one because there was an actual story and Handsome Jack amused me. All the references to everything were fine, but I can see where some people would think it was too much.

Gameplay was much improved too, there was a lot of tiny little changes about everything including the UI that I liked. The only real complaint I have is the over-reliance on slag as a mechanic right up until the moment it doesn't matter, like against Saturn, Badassasaurus, fights like that.

sig.gif
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Playing Borderlands 2 on singleplayer felt like a terrible slog. Constantly picking up vendor trash from toilets (clicking on pickups to get them in a console game feels like shit, it should just be scooped up) and then having to browse the stats of each gun to see if anything would be an upgrade or a side-grade, fighting guys who die instantly or who you have to run away from while pecking at them, waiting for your ONE skill to recharge... eh.

Destiny 2's campaign by comparison is like eating a tub of ice cream. I've run through it three times and once you focus on the story the first time, you can just crank some tunes (or a podcast) and blast through it the next couple characters. No gun is so terrible that switching to it without looking will cripple you. If the gun sucks, you'll replace it probably by the end of that same level.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Playing Borderlands 2 on singleplayer felt like a terrible slog. Constantly picking up vendor trash from toilets (clicking on pickups to get them in a console game feels like shit, it should just be scooped up) and then having to browse the stats of each gun to see if anything would be an upgrade or a side-grade, fighting guys who die instantly or who you have to run away from while pecking at them, waiting for your ONE skill to recharge... eh.

Destiny 2's campaign by comparison is like eating a tub of ice cream. I've run through it three times and once you focus on the story the first time, you can just crank some tunes (or a podcast) and blast through it the next couple characters. No gun is so terrible that switching to it without looking will cripple you. If the gun sucks, you'll replace it probably by the end of that same level.

To be fair, you're comparing a brand new game to a 5 year old game. Gameplay improvements are shared across the industry as they all learn from each others mistakes. Remember Borderlands 2 is a PS3/360 era game.

And a lot changes in this industry over 5 years.

-Loki- on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I could barely stand BL2's writing, myself.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Currently going through the pre-sequel right now. Everything about it is so hollow. The VA is bad to terrible on most people in the game. But I NEED to beat this game, considering how much I loved the first one it'd be a crime not to. I'm further now than I have ever been and I just unlocked the grinder.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

At first I didn't mind it, it was even funny in parts. But when I replayed the game recently and trying to get to higher levels so effectively hearing and seeing the same lines over and over again, it grates, it grates so damn much. Anthony Burch is not nearly as funny as he thinks he is.

And seeing a preview of a recent big trouble in little china comic he was involved with he's ruining somethign else I love too.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Preacher wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

At first I didn't mind it, it was even funny in parts. But when I replayed the game recently and trying to get to higher levels so effectively hearing and seeing the same lines over and over again, it grates, it grates so damn much. Anthony Burch is not nearly as funny as he thinks he is.

And seeing a preview of a recent big trouble in little china comic he was involved with he's ruining somethign else I love too.

Yeah I’ve taken to muting anything Tina and Ellie say along with other certain scenes , would play the whole game muted but I enjoy hearing Gaige and Tourge talk.

EspantaPajaro on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Part of the problem is that if you want to get to higher difficulties with multiple characters, you have to reply the same game over and over and over.

If they do make a Borderlands 3, I'm hoping that they just roll every character into the same save. Maybe have raw power level be character-independent, while having skill unlocks be based on individual character level? That way you could try out someone new at any point without being completely crippled, while still having some reward for specializing.

If the game takes place on multiple other planets, it might also make sense to have them playable in any order and be resettable, so that you could take any character through any part of the game whenever you want.

jothki wrote: »
    Part of the problem is that if you want to get to higher difficulties with multiple characters, you have to reply the same game over and over and over.

If they do make a Borderlands 3, I'm hoping that they just roll every character into the same save. Maybe have raw power level be character-independent, while having skill unlocks be based on individual character level? That way you could try out someone new at any point without being completely crippled, while still having some reward for specializing.

If the game takes place on multiple other planets, it might also make sense to have them playable in any order and be resettable, so that you could take any character through any part of the game whenever you want.

Honestly more games need adventure mode from Diablo 3. Fuck specifically having to level character through story at all.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    They could easily do something like Adventure Mode in Borderlands too. Town has a merchant with like 5 missions or something like that. You go to that area, do the thing you need to do, return back and he generates another "random" mission. This way you don't have to go through the boring ass story every single time you want to just kill shit and grab loot.

urahonky wrote: »
    They could easily do something like Adventure Mode in Borderlands too. Town has a merchant with like 5 missions or something like that. You go to that area, do the thing you need to do, return back and he generates another "random" mission. This way you don't have to go through the boring ass story every single time you want to just kill shit and grab loot.

Anything fucking anything would be better than just running the story over and over.

Also find out who designed the final sections of Bl2 and make sure they never design anything ever again.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    My guess is that they're going to ramp up the 'humor' in the third one and then not fix any of the fundamental issues with the game.

My guess is that they're going to ramp up the 'humor' in the third one and then not fix any of the fundamental issues with the game.

They'll make a battleborn sequel no one wanted.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    How were the characters designs in that ? anything they can recycle for new vault hunters?

How were the characters designs in that ? anything they can recycle for new vault hunters?

Was pretty much exactly the same as Borderlands, I believe they even took characters from BL and had them in it and hinted it was parter of the larger framework? I dunno the game crashed harder than prey. If not for Lawbreakers shattering the bar for shit multiplayer launches Battleborn would be the king.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I've been playing the PC version of Borderlands 2 GOTY with my brother and a friend (I'm Salvadore, he's Kreig, she's Gaige), and despite owning it on the 360 I never brought any of the DLC campaigns so I'm looking forward to stuff that's new to me. What about the Headhunter missions, are they worth checking out? And does everybody have to buy them to play in co-op?

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    The headhunter missions are fine. They are just bite-sized mini-campaigns, holiday themed if memory serves. There's I think one or a few new enemy types. The real appeal is just more stuff to kill and loot. They go on deep discount pretty regularly and are certainly worth a few bucks if you are looking to keep the carnage going. I do think everyone has to have them, yes.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Yeah it’s Halloween, valentine thanksgiving and Christmas plus the generic summer vacation one. Funwise torque is near the top excluding the bosses and Tina is a slog gameplay wise and people say they enjoy the story but it involves Tina talking so fuck that noise . Good grenades though most people’s best grenade is from that dlc

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I like Tina's it's a fun play on DnD. It does have endgame spoilers though.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Tina in her DLC is miles more tolerable than Tina main game, but is still Tina

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Tina has some rad guns like swordsplosion. The Good grenades are locked in high level arena matches though and it's full of fucking skeletons so fuck that

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    By good grenades do you mean the magic missile? That's not an arena match.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

I think its a variant unique to an arena only enemy. I just use fastball so I never bothered looking for it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    The 4x variant? I just farmed wizards from that one altar before the final boss of the DLC for it.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    The Headhunter packs got better as they went along mostly, except Christmas Mercenary Day, that one was just a slog that not even the Loot Train could fix. But even the first one was still entertaining. But yeah, each are holiday themed, and there's five of them:

Halloween with TK Baha
    Thanksgiving with Mister Torgue
    Mercenary Day with Marcus
    Valentine's Day with Moxxi
    Easter/Spring Break with Hammerlock/the BL1 Vault Hunters

Each is basically one overall mission (that lasts around an hour) with one or two side-missions and a secret boss that also drops DLC-specific heads/skins.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Yeah, Tina's was pretty great.

Other than Ork Warlords.

Fuck Ork Warlords and their stupid leveling-up system. Especially if you were playing solo, having a enemy go skull-level on you just sucked.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Yeah, Tina's was pretty great.

Other than Ork Warlords.

Fuck Ork Warlords and their stupid leveling-up system. Especially if you were playing solo, having a enemy go skull-level on you just sucked.

Agreed. That and the Endless Dungeon ran a little long (go figure...)

Still a dynamite bit of DLC, though. Right up there with Knoxx's Armory.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    All I can say is that my #TheDream for Borderlands 3 is to have every Vault Hunter playable in it eventually. Even the dead ones, either just because (it's Borderlands who cares), or with their skill trees mimic'd by nearly identical characters (Noland instead of Roland).

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I kinda wish they would just let us create characters instead of having specific named ones.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Currently going through the pre-sequel right now. Everything about it is so hollow. The VA is bad to terrible on most people in the game. But I NEED to beat this game, considering how much I loved the first one it'd be a crime not to. I'm further now than I have ever been and I just unlocked the grinder.

Well I haven't played it since this post. So I guess that's that.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    All I can say is that my #TheDream for Borderlands 3 is to have every Vault Hunter playable in it eventually. Even the dead ones, either just because (it's Borderlands who cares), or with their skill trees mimic'd by nearly identical characters (Noland instead of Roland).

I'd be happy to see Timothy back.

Playable Fiona, Rhys, Gortys and Loaderbot or we riot!!!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I think its a variant unique to an arena only enemy. I just use fastball so I never bothered looking for it

Magic Missile grenade sort of put a big, huge highlight on the fact that Slag is way too damn important in the game. Limitless long-range 4-shot homing grenades that always inflicts Slag? Basically no point in equipping any other grenade ever, because now you can easily and endlessly Slag any (non-bullshit Slag-resistant) enemy.

edited October 2017

Magic Missile grenade sort of put a big, huge highlight on the fact that Slag is way too damn important in the game. Limitless long-range 4-shot homing grenades that always inflicts Slag? Basically no point in equipping any other grenade ever, because now you can easily and endlessly Slag any (non-bullshit Slag-resistant) enemy.

Only thing that ever came close were the good shield stripping grenade. Quasar, storm front chain lightning and stuff like that.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Even then, I felt like having endless Slag on demand offset the need to be able to kill shields since a decent gun and the Slag damage boost tended to kill shields fast anyway as long as you weren't trying to use a fire weapon or something.

Though I never got up into the UHVM stuff and only did one NG+ on a higher difficulty, and even that I never finished because the game gets way, way too grindy to be enjoyable.

I finished uvhm , and hit op 8 . It honestly depends on the character when they hit that point you get to a point you don’t need slag until you hit op-4+ I used the seraph bouncing Betty from the torgue dlc to slag. Thing threw explosions everywhere.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    If I really, really enjoyed Tales from the Borderlands, and completely expected not to (especially the characters themselves), which of the three games would you guys recommend?

I completely bypassed the initial release of each title because loot games largely don't attract me (Diablo is pretty much the lone exception), but if there's something that's a modest follow-up to that, without that terrible engine that's in every Telltale game, I'd be interested in trying it.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    The FPS only share the setting with TftB. They don't share gameplay, they don't share narrative style, and they don't share writing, for the most part.

Liking Tales from the Borderlands doesn't preclude you from liking the root Borderlands series, but it also doesn't have any causal indication beyond the setting.

That flows both ways, but I think that the Telltale games are more accessible from a gameplay mechanics standpoint.

Jragghen on
This discussion has been closed.