As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blade Runner Owns.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think it's very generous, but I don't mean that in a bad way - it's a review of the movie the creators were trying to make. You could argue whether they succeeded, but it's the kind of thing that's great to have in mind if you rewatch the film.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Saw this tonight.

The word I would use for it is "Intense".

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    This was easily the best movie I saw this year.

A shame we wont get the sequel for another 30 years.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    FUCK ME FUCKING FUCK

I watched this just now and I am fucking floored

Oh my god it was so good

And it had its own thing going on, but had this neat subtheme where we revisit the theme of the original
    But with digital people! Can an obviously digital intelligence be human? Do we need souls? Fuck, do we need flesh?

Everything uncomfortable with Joi was stunning, especially in retrospect as its unclear at what point she has any amount of agency or free will. Tastefully done, intentionally awkward, very self aware and thought provoking, just enough of a callback to Rachel and Deckard without being ham handed.

Leto was very heavy handed, but hell he almost had to be. I don't think I would have bought Messiah Complex as thoroughly from a nuanced performance.

Putting the real daughter in the bubble is glorious. Was it part of the safeguards? Or is a replicant child all fucked up?

Oh boy.

Fucking beautiful all around.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I saw this yesterday and Knob more or less echoed my thoughts.

It's a damn shame that it's not doing well domestically. There were all of 5 people in my theater including me, and nobody came in for the following screening.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the scene of
    Wallace eviscerating the newborn replicant though. It was incredibly uncomfortable to watch, and I'm a bit torn on its necessity. I feel it probably is, but I'm having trouble articulating why.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    korodullin wrote: »

I'm still not sure how I feel about the scene of
    Wallace eviscerating the newborn replicant though. It was incredibly uncomfortable to watch, and I'm a bit torn on its necessity. I feel it probably is, but I'm having trouble articulating why.
    It can be inferred that Wallace had just learned of the replicant child moments earlier. It was a petulant outburst over his creations being imperfect. It also firmly establishes Wallace as an unhinged piece of crap and makes no bones about not wanting the audience to empathize with him in the slightest. Without that scene, Wallace could be easily read (especially by someone with racist tendancies) as a misunderstood genius or sympathetic character.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I saw this film

It was good but also verrrrry slow and K felt very blank to me

Also when they said "no two people have the same DNA" I just shot BugBoy a look

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm actually finding some studies from a few years ago that indicate identical twins might still have some differences in their DNA, specifically in some genetic regions that correspond to certain diseases!

• Options
    Oh, we definitely do! Mutations accrue as time goes on, especially in the mitochondrial DNA

But it still made me laugh a bit

Although it wasn't as bad as the time we were on a tour of the FBI and they told us twins have the same fingerprints

You should know better, FBI!

• Options
    God damn, I could spend a whole dang day talking about how much I got from this damn film

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    God damn, I could spend a whole dang day talking about how much I got from this damn film

Yep. I don't really get when people say "it's so SLOW". It's long, but it's also filled to the brim with detail. I might be a little biased because I love films that use careful pacing to control a story, like Moon and 2001, but there is just so much to unpack in this.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It's also nearly 3 hours long

I enjoyed it a lot but not everyone is down for a slow, methodical paced philosophical sci-fi film for 2 hours and 45 minutes

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    so early midway through the movie i was starting to get a little offput by how heavy handed it seemed they were going with the
    k is the chosen one theme, but it was so obvious that I was also thinking "this has to be a fakeout" and holy shit the way they handled that was amazing. Very quietly having the prostitute recognize the horse from a dream and the more overt callout of lines from the memory maker about artist signatures and "someone lived this memory" changed it from this "only K could be the one to do this" to "this mystery is buried in all of the replicants and we just happened to be POV on one of them in a position to find it.

• Options
    so early midway through the movie i was starting to get a little offput by how heavy handed it seemed they were going with the
    k is the chosen one theme, but it was so obvious that I was also thinking "this has to be a fakeout" and holy shit the way they handled that was amazing. Very quietly having the prostitute recognize the horse from a dream and the more overt callout of lines from the memory maker about artist signatures and "someone lived this memory" changed it from this "only K could be the one to do this" to "this mystery is buried in all of the replicants and we just happened to be POV on one of them in a position to find it.

Very much so this.

I also adore
    How Gaff doesn't mean shit. He imparts no information of value and his origami is totally meaningless. That was extremely bold. Especially in a film that is already running super long.

'Can we cut the Gaff cameo?'
    'No! And its not a cameo!'
    'But he doesnt fucking do anything?'
    'EXACTLY!'

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I’ve been sitting here trying to think of what they could have cut and the only thing I can think of is that Leto/newborn replicant scene. They could have just used a couple lines of dialogue to make it clear he views himself as god and replicants as disposable slaves.

Basically everything else in the movie is important.

I can’t wait to eventually give this one another watch.

rhylith on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I don't really care much for the mythology of the Blade Runner movies, or even its messaging. These aren't very deep films. But the original is one of the most atmospheric movies that I've ever seen. It's this incredible mood piece that still holds up 35 years later. 2049 is a really, really good movie with sequences that had me hypnotised. But I think when I'm in that very specific mood, I'm still gonna turn to the original.

• Options
    They're pretty deep films

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Well, okay. What I'm trying to say is that the thematic depth is not what made Blade Runner such a remarkable movie to me. It was the atmosphere. 2049 just didn't hit the same spot for me. Which isn't a knock on 2049. More of a comment on how amazing I find the original.

Where 2049 really worked for me was as a straight-up detective story. I loved the scenes of Ryan Gosling just following up on leads and quietly investigating shit.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    just one point, she said "This is from a tree", not "from a dream". Seems a lot of people had trouble hearing that line? But non-English versions definitely say tree, French-Canadians can confirm.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    As someone who is not particularly well-read on classic literature

Learning all the Pale Fire references and that Kafka once wrote a protagonist literally named "Joe K" made me feel real dumb

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    just one point, she said "This is from a tree", not "from a dream". Seems a lot of people had trouble hearing that line? But non-English versions definitely say tree, French-Canadians can confirm.

well damn it

• Options
    I'm decently well read and all of that went way over my head

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    This movie flew by for me, weirdly

Did not feel like almost three hours at all

• Options
    I'm decently well read and all of that went way over my head

I've read both of those authors but not the specific works they referenced so beyond seeing the copy of pale fire, that all went over my head too

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    This movie flew by for me, weirdly

Did not feel like almost three hours at all

Yeah, as the climax of the movie was happening, I was thinking "noooo I just want to see more of this".

• Options
    It felt like 3 hours to me because I chugged a soda and had to urgently pee for the last hour and wasnt about to get up to go.

tynic wrote: »
    Enough people heard dream that I can't help but wonder if it was an intentional reference to Roy Batty's 'I want more life, father/fucker' delivery.

Is K special, or do all replicants have the daughter's memory of the horse is the ambiguous question of the film. 'This is from a tree/dream' lends weight to either, both lines work with her reaction, and there's precedence for a line read two ways but jumbled together in the franchise.

Everything else was done with so much care, I cant imagine this was accidental.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    It felt like three hours to me but, like, in a good way

Like a "oh cool there's more!" kind of thing

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm still processing the movie, but right now the thematic thing I really like is
    early in the film, and reinforced throughout, it's brought up that his model cannot disobey orders. He ends up disobeying two, with the first (the lie of omission to Madame) probably being within his programming. The second, the imperative to kill Deckard he flat out ignores. If I see it again I want to pay attention to him w/r/t orders.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It definitely felt like 3 hours to me

I liked the movie and think it warranted a long runtime but I definitely felt it and was a bit exhausted by the end

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The original movie is 40 minutes shorter and feels way longer than this one

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I'm still kind of blown away by how good Bautista was in this movie. He's like the soul of the film early on, and he had such a small role.

Ceno on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The original movie is 40 minutes shorter and feels way longer than this one

Yeah I agree.

There’s spots in the original where I lost focus, whereas here I was captivated the entire way through.

With this one the movie felt long to me but it never overstayed its welcome.

• Options
    A duck! wrote: »
    I'm still processing the movie, but right now the thematic thing I really like is
    early in the film, and reinforced throughout, it's brought up that his model cannot disobey orders. He ends up disobeying two, with the first (the lie of omission to Madame) probably being within his programming. The second, the imperative to kill Deckard he flat out ignores. If I see it again I want to pay attention to him w/r/t orders.

Sorry to quote myself, but I think I may have read into it wrong
    Thinking back it may have just been stated that he "can't" lie, which at the time I interpreted as programming. It may be more that he can, but he shouldn't as he will be culled when he fails a baseline test. That fits a bit better into the slave aspect, so it probably is closer to the right read.

I like this movie a lot. It feels like it has smart ambiguity, where whether I think of a character as a human or a robot I get different interpretations.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Re: "killing"
    i read Frysa (how do you spell her name?) saying "you must kill Deckard" followed by his saving Deckard's life to have been a twist played on the audience. We don't see the meeting with the resistance after that line, so when Joe told Deckard "you drowned out there", I took that as a reveal that the resistance's plan was to "kill" Deckard; take him off the grid for a time by making it look like he was killed, so they can get him to the child and then both of them to the resistance.

I may have misinterpreted it, of course. Either option is fairly strong.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    I'm still kind of blown away by how good Bautista was in this movie. He's like the soul of the film early on, and he had such a small role.

Admittedly I know nothing about wrestling of any era

But I feel like he’d be near the bottom of a list of early 2000s wrestlers you’d expect to be a great movie star

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Wiki has this now taking $158 million on a $150 million budget not including marketing I think.

So still a way to go to be profitable but it's chugging along.

I'm very interested in seeing what Denis Villeneuve does next considering I loved this and Arrival.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Wiki has this now taking $158 million on a $150 million budget not including marketing I think.

So still a way to go to be profitable but it's chugging along.

I'm very interested in seeing what Denis Villeneuve does next considering I loved this and Arrival.

word is he's going to direct a Dune adaptation

• Options
    I'm going to try to go see this again before it leaves theaters. I need to experience the bass of that soundtrack shaking the damn walls again before it's confined to my television.

• Options
    I'm going to try to go see this again before it leaves theaters. I need to experience the bass of that soundtrack shaking the damn walls again before it's confined to my television.

IMAX was totally worth it.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular

IMAX was totally worth it.

Some of those shots absolutely demand IMAX, and the soundtrack is something else on those speakers.

There aren't many movies that I think are IMAX worth. Last one I think was Fury Road? Before that, Pacific Rim.