As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Unplugged party train line from Boston - Nov 16, 11:15am 173 Northeast Regional

ChimneyImpChimneyImp Shifty EyesBostonRegistered User regular
edited September 2017 in PAX Unplugged
So, other PAXes often do organized train lines for people traveling from various places so people can meet up and play games on the way. This PAX seems like a good place to do this, since we can play board games on the train. I'm probably taking the train from Boston the Thursday right before the convention. Is anyone else from that part of the world taking the train to? If so, we should all coordinate.

The (un)official party train is 173 Northeast Regional, Boston South Station to Philadelphia 30th Street Station, 11:15am - 4:52pm. The snack car normally has tables, and a mid-day train on a Thursday is unlikely to be crowded even around Thanksgiving.

If anyone wants to organize a train back, please do so! I'm not going back until later that week so I won't be organizing one myself.

If you're interested, post here and list any games you're bringing.

I'm bringing:
Trains (natch)
Love Letter
Welcome to the Dungeon

Z04due2.png
ChimneyImp on

• Options
    robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    I LOVE THIS IDEA. I'm probably leaving in the early morning hours though so I can get some work done in the afternoon and maybe explore Philly a bit. If anyone is leaving on the 6:10am train I'll have Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Dead of Winter and probably more.

6pq9je4.png
  • Options
    DragonWargamerDragonWargamer Registered User new member
    I'm interested. Do you know if there is any mass transit from the train station to the convention center hotels? And what time were you thinking for the return trip? There are several options, but I don't know yet how late I'll want to be at PAX on Sunday.

• Options
    Conn0rkentConn0rkent Caster of Pods New EnglandRegistered User new member
    This is a neat idea. I've been toying with the idea of taking the train from Connecticut down to Philly but I have zero experience with train travel so I'm a little hesitant.

• Options
    ChimneyImpChimneyImp Shifty Eyes BostonRegistered User regular
    I'm interested. Do you know if there is any mass transit from the train station to the convention center hotels?

Yeah, tons, both bus and subway. It's also a 30 minute walk if you're traveling light. Google Maps link
    Conn0rkent wrote: »
    This is a neat idea. I've been toying with the idea of taking the train from Connecticut down to Philly but I have zero experience with train travel so I'm a little hesitant.
    The train is pretty easy - the Amtrak is nice and the staff are helpful. All you have to do is board and wait until Philly, and let the conductor check your ticket once.

I've booked by (and a friend's) ticket for the train in the OP, so there will be at least two of use there.

If anyone wants to organize a train back, please do so! I'm not going back until later that week so I won't be organizing one myself.

Z04due2.png
  • Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I'm interested. Do you know if there is any mass transit from the train station to the convention center hotels?

Amtrak will bring you into 30th Street Station in Philly. It's a huge station, some actually REALLY good food options (I highly recommend Beck's Cajun) including some food trucks outside on some days.

Once you are leaving there, you have a couple of really good options:

1) Taxi/Lyft/Uber. Obviously the most expensive, but then you jut get right over there.
    2) SEPTA Regional Rail. Don't get scared by there being a billion different lines. If you take any Regional Rail train going east will go 2 stops and let you off at Jefferson Station (just ask someone who works there what track for the next train going east/to Jefferson). It costs $6/person but they basically never check tickets mid-city like that, so just have the money on you in case they check on the train but expect it to probably be free.

Jefferson Station is .2 mi from the convention center.

The same holds true for the return trip, every Regional Rail train going west will get you back to 30th Street Station.

(side-note, I'm gonna really miss this train ride, I always love doing the reverse going up to Philly)

Schmulki on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's not the best idea to encourage people to be dishonest. If you use the rail, pay the fare.

• Options
    robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    It's not the best idea to encourage people to be dishonest. If you use the rail, pay the fare.

I don't think that's what he was doing. I think what he meant was that the conductors usually will wait until the train is leaving philly to collect fares on the train. So, while it is $6 you might not even end up paying that much because no one will be collecting your fare. I've had it happen to myself a few times. However, I agree definitely don't go out of your way to evade paying $6. That's silly.

6pq9je4.png
  • Options
    rsr70rsr70 Registered User new member
    edited September 2017
    I recalled this and just verified on the septa.org (regional transit authority) website - if you arrive on AMTRAK to Philadelphia, your ticket will allow you to use regional rail to the other two 'Center City' stations, which will get you to the convention center area.
    Amtrak Tickets | Both Amtrak paper tickets and e-Tickets, purchased for the same date of travel and presented for inspection, will be accepted as a fare to ride on Regional Rail trains between 30th Street Station and Jefferson Station. Customers with e-Ticket confirmations should present their personal device (iPad, laptop computer, smart phone, etc.) to the SEPTA Conductor for visual confirmation of the Amtrak fare.

So you can head upstairs from AMTRAK to the SEPTA rail platform, and hop on any train headed east towards Suburban Station and Jefferson Station (formerly Market East) and your AMTRAK ticket is valid fare. In reality, those three stations are a single fare zone at the center of a spoke system and essentially a free interchange area where it's unlikely anyone will check tickets/fares until the train leaves the zone.

Please note, these are the regional rail trains that head out to the suburbs, not the subway system within the city.

rsr70 on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    rsr70 wrote: »
    I recalled this and just verified on the septa.org (regional transit authority) website - if you arrive on AMTRAK to Philadelphia, your ticket will allow you to use regional rail to the other two 'Center City' stations, which will get you to the convention center area.
    Amtrak Tickets | Both Amtrak paper tickets and e-Tickets, purchased for the same date of travel and presented for inspection, will be accepted as a fare to ride on Regional Rail trains between 30th Street Station and Jefferson Station. Customers with e-Ticket confirmations should present their personal device (iPad, laptop computer, smart phone, etc.) to the SEPTA Conductor for visual confirmation of the Amtrak fare.

So you can head upstairs from AMTRAK to the SEPTA rail platform, and hop on any train headed east towards Suburban Station and Jefferson Station (formerly Market East) and your AMTRAK ticket is valid fare. In reality, those three stations are a single fare zone at the center of a spoke system and essentially a free interchange area where it's unlikely anyone will check tickets/fares until the train leaves the zone.

Please note, these are the regional rail trains that head out to the suburbs, not the subway system within the city.
    That is rad. If everything goes to plan, I will be arriving in that fashion, so this is very good to know.

• Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    No, I'm not saying to avoid the fare. I said to make sure to have the fare, they just almost never collect it between the 3 "in-city" stations.

And yea, I completely forgot the Amtrak->Regional Rail thing. A guy I work with does this daily. It definitely works.

• Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    Schmulki wrote: »
    No, I'm not saying to avoid the fare. I said to make sure to have the fare, they just almost never collect it between the 3 "in-city" stations.

I lived in Philly for a few years and I don't recall them ever checking fares at the downtown stops. Until today I always assumed they were free.

I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    mouseydewmouseydew Registered User regular
    I'll be on the Boston train :D Can't wait to make new friends and play some awesome games down in Philly! Anyone staying in town after?

• Options
    mouseydew wrote: »
    I'll be on the Boston train :D Can't wait to make new friends and play some awesome games down in Philly! Anyone staying in town after?

Awesome! I'll be around Sunday night, although I'm not sure if I'm going to be awake for that. In PAX East a ton of people hang around the hotel or the general area, so if you're looking for an afterparty (i.e. more board games) it shouldn't be hard to find.

Z04due2.png
  • Options
    erraticninjaerraticninja Registered User regular
    robirex wrote: »
    I LOVE THIS IDEA. I'm probably leaving in the early morning hours though so I can get some work done in the afternoon and maybe explore Philly a bit. If anyone is leaving on the 6:10am train I'll have Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Dead of Winter and probably more.

Are you still planning on taking this train? about to book my tickets from NYC and I might grab this one if you are going to be on it as I kind of want to explore Philly a bit and get there earlier. Otherwise I will book the regular party train.

kGEF4EH.png
  • Options
    iadenaiadena Registered User regular
    Is this happening? Would like some confirmation? This is an awesome idea!

• Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    I'll be on the Thursday 171 train to Philly, I'm boarding in New Haven. I have some friends taking the same train from Boston.

I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    I won't be on either one of the above trains. I will be on the Thursday 141 from New York.

kGEF4EH.png
  • Options
    iadena wrote: »
    Is this happening? Would like some confirmation? This is an awesome idea!

I’ve booked my tickets and will be on the train from Boston

• Options
    TomissicTomissic Winsted ctRegistered User new member
    I will be on train 141 from new haven Thursday morning. I will be bringing a few pocket games and my switch. If you see me playing, stop by and say hi! Always down for a quick Mario Kart tourney.

• Options
    I’ll be bringing some wallet games from Button Shy: Universal Rule, Tag Team. Might bring one or two deck builders. Oh, and I will be on the 173 out of Boston.

• Options
    Tomissic wrote: »
    I will be on train 141 from new haven Thursday morning. I will be bringing a few pocket games and my switch. If you see me playing, stop by and say hi! Always down for a quick Mario Kart tourney.

I will also be on the 141. I will try to look for you. although i won't have a switch.

kGEF4EH.png
  • Options
    Tomissic wrote: »

Switch is a great idea, I'll bring mine too.

Day of the train, look for the fat white guy in a a PAX shirt and chessboard bandana - I'll make sure I'm hard to miss so I can attract people to play games. I'll probably be set up in the dining car because they normally have tables there.

Z04due2.png
  • Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    I'll be on the Northeast Regional train 85 out of NYC in the afternoon. Gotta deal with a traffic ticket that I couldn't get postponed in the morning.

• Options
    I am on the 141. I’m the beardy dude wearing a dnd storm kings thunder shirt. Just went through the dining car and didn’t spot anyone

kGEF4EH.png
  • Options
    bubbaboy8bubbaboy8 Registered User new member
    I'll be on the 173 but I'm boarding in New York. I'll try to track you down in the cafe car. I've also got Sushi Go, Monty Python Fluxx, Hanabi, and Happy Salmon with me.