As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Butter Battle [chat]

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    EAST COAST
    I'm actually surprised we don't see more nostalgic 4:3 media. Like the only modern 4:3 thing that comes to mind is The Grand Budapest Hotel.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I need to design a super-light space probe (less than 300kg) in Kerbal and I'm ignoring that task and playing EU4 as Cyprus instead

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    EAST COAST
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    speaking of gay girls with nice hair i was behind cameron esposito at a food line at LAX once

it's weird that i knew her when i saw her wikipedia picture but haven't seen anything she's been in??

I only know her as a comedian/podcast guest, not sure she's been "in" a lot of stuff. Had a show with her wife on SeeSo that I wanna watch sometime.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    This is America, anyone can be a lesbian with nice hair if you really want to

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    EAST COAST
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    speaking of gay girls with nice hair i was behind cameron esposito at a food line at LAX once
    you know what bothered me was when people would make fun of justin bieber by saying he had 'lesbian hair'

as if that's anything other than a compliment

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Joke option Country Crock
    credeiki wrote: »
    hm only my oldness and confusion about how to post images from instagram is keeping this page from being a bunch of pictures of froskurinn looking cute

i think if you just post the url it'll show up :tell_me_more:

steam_sig.png
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Mazzy it sounds like the ongoing public battle over whether to remove Confederate monuments had primed her to think: Civil War memorials are bad!

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    oof Mazzyx that sounds super tough

like she showed up ready to show you up about SJW stuff or something? I don't even know, but either she's naturally abrasive and poorly socialized or for some reason didn't quite have good intentions going into the date.

I think she is just a really privileged person who is left wing and has spent very little time exploring the complexity of things like social change and avenues and such. Which it is DC folks like that aren't that normal. We are a city social change folks because of the city.

I feel she is a person whose heart might be in the right place but has no real backing or understanding of complex topics. Of course rarely do you ever find someone who straight up says, "Oh I only see films at Landmark."

I feel like I was on some comedy show.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    WEST COAST
    wandering wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised we don't see more nostalgic 4:3 media. Like the only modern 4:3 thing that comes to mind is The Grand Budapest Hotel.

I only find it jarring in side scrollers because I'm so used to staring at the borders of the screen.

For movies and TV shows it doesn't really bother me.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    kedinik wrote: »
    Mazzy it sounds like the ongoing public battle over whether to remove Confederate monuments had primed her to think: Civil War memorials are bad!

Yup.

And lack of understanding the complexities and long term scars of a civil war. Her understanding of desegregation and civil rights seemed about that deep as well.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    WEST COAST
    I don't understand why somebody would have loyalty to a theater chain.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

Feral wrote: »

um because some of them don't play that awful coca-cola song with all of the annoying people singing before the movie

steam_sig.png
    WEST COAST
    Why is Landmark special?

They show the same movies everybody else does.

Its more they play indie movies. She goes to the local indie movie place too which is a different chain.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Its more they play indie movies. She goes to the local indie movie place too which is a different chain.

Tell her that a pink narwhal on the internet says she sounds exhausting

A friend told me that her brother is now engaged to a girl he initially started seeing when he became the sidepiece of her 7-year relationship

And after he spent a year as an emotionally uncommitted sidepiece, she told him that she was ready to break up with her boyfriend and make him her boyfriend

I imagine a, like, The Bachelor-style ceremony

I'm giving you this rose, because you've done well in the minors — you're ready for a promotion to full-time love interest, unless maybe sidepiece-B can up his game within the next month

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Do we still like Drafthouse?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    EAST COAST
    hm only my oldness and confusion about how to post images from instagram is keeping this page from being a bunch of pictures of froskurinn looking cute

hm does it? I will trust

Steam, LoL: credeiki
    You're no longer just the fuccboi on the side -- I'm ready to make you the Boy Who Fucks

https://youtu.be/QOl4ygrkZT4

I love being reminded this exists.

Give me that Shadowrun the movie/show.

u7stthr17eud.png
    hm does it? I will trust

Yeah you just have to believe and pull the trigger :3

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    EAST COAST
    Okay going to try and write this up in a way that isn't me being the biggest asshole...

The gossip folks...

OnTheLastCastle cptrugged credeiki BeNarwhal Ludious
    So I went on a first date tonight. One of 5 in the last few weeks. Fuck dating btw. But moving on...

She chose a place I really like and I figured at least I would have some good beer and popcorn. As they give free popcorn. (I never got popcorn btw, the beer was good)

So we met. The introductions and some general statements. Work talk. Then the conversation moved stuff about I guess a holiday for the 13th and 14th amendments. Which I would be cool with.

Then it begins...

So this was partially because I mentioned going to Manassas National Battlefield with my mom to hike. And she was like, well at least you can hike there. Then goes into a thing how we shouldn't have historical sites to battles. She then asks me what battles happened at Manassas and who won. I tell her and she then goes, maybe we shouldn't since the Confederacy won the first one. I am just kind of confused now but okay. I am from the West the Civil War isn't a huge thing but at least most folks have some basic understanding that a civil war is between folks of the same country and history has relevance and importance.

There was a bit about people worshiping the civil war and I don't disagree that we have issues in large swaths teaching it now but I think she kind of was missing th epoint in the idea we should remove all monuments to it. I tend to prefer places like Manassas to be stay as it is the national park service and does a good job presenting the history a rather not creepy way.

So then we move to Columbus day. I did Indigenous People's day or was, I got sick but my friend did instead. General opinion about how Columbus was a dick. Then get into Colonization. She gets into a nasty rant about the Japanese on this. I talk about the complex stuff behind it that doesn't excuse it but what makes the Japanese colonial experience interesting. And also inform her that the Dutch and Belgium had colonies and Belgium was way worse. Which they are like my gold standard. Oh Congo. Which most folks in DC know. Its an odd world of the super educated so I am feel like I am now in some morass and talking to someone with a very cursory knowledge of like anything.

I try to curtail this spiral and ask about what types of things she enjoys. She says movies. Which I am like,
    what was the best movie you have watched. At this point she literally looks and me and says after thing a bit, "You probably wouldn't know it I don't go to AMC or main stream theaters but only to Landmark."
    I actually think I saw the trailer for what she said but whatever.

This leads to her dismissing Rey in SW as, "Small steps" and then not knowing about Moonlight which confused me considering her statement on the type of movies she likes. I am really just wanting to finish my beer.

At the end we get into the joyous talk about sports, which is normally fine. But her discussion of sports is like talking to an forumer whose name starts with T about police. She brought it to race, thank you NFL,
    I talk about though it isn't perfect it does produce a platform that isn't always there. She goes into more rants. And she asks me, "You believe it is better for PoC now than it was 50 years ago?" And my response was, "Yes but there are many more miles and much that needs to be done." Her response to this was,
    "Well good thing you work in the government then!"

With that tabs were gotten. I had a good beer at least.

But my god it was the most frustrating person I have talked to. And not because I disagree where she is coming from but it was like talking to someone whose knowledge of complex topics was from a cursory glance at wikipedia or twitter or maybe a facebook headline. I hadn't run into that in years.

So basic

understanding of complex issues

fuck gendered marketing
  • Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    WEST COAST
    Please tell me the Endless will show up at some point in American Gods. I know they were hinted at in the book but I would nerdgasm so hard if one of them showed up

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
    EAST COAST
    Why is Landmark special?

They show the same movies everybody else does.

I wouldn't know. Memphis has a local theater monopoly.

There's no AMC or Landmark or anything else

fuck gendered marketing
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a movie that only had a limited theatrical run.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/QOl4ygrkZT4

I love being reminded this exists.

Give me that Shadowrun the movie/show.

Fuck i cant wait for that shit

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    If Neo Yokio was the price we had to pay for Shadowrun the Movie, then, well

I'm not going to say I'll be happy, but

shryke wrote: »
    i don't think i'll ever be able to play rpg again

whatever it was i had a kid that could sit down and a do thing is just gone.

I can't sit down and play certain kinds of RPGs anymore. Like, say, JRPGs. Or a lot of turn based ones really.

I'm at the point where if the gameplay isn't interesting enough, I'm not gonna slog through 50 hours of it to get to your mediocre story.

yeah i think the thing is. . .

i didn't have anything else I could do?

steam_sig.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    EAST COAST
    Bright looks amazing and if you disagree you can't come to my birthday party

WEST COAST

Do we still like Drafthouse?

Fair point.

hm does it? I will trust

"it's miss steal yo girl"

steam_sig.png
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    EAST COAST
    Elldren wrote: »
    Okay going to try and write this up in a way that isn't me being the biggest asshole...

The gossip folks...

So I went on a first date tonight. One of 5 in the last few weeks. Fuck dating btw. But moving on...

She chose a place I really like and I figured at least I would have some good beer and popcorn. As they give free popcorn. (I never got popcorn btw, the beer was good)

So we met. The introductions and some general statements. Work talk. Then the conversation moved stuff about I guess a holiday for the 13th and 14th amendments. Which I would be cool with.

Then it begins...

So this was partially because I mentioned going to Manassas National Battlefield with my mom to hike. And she was like, well at least you can hike there. Then goes into a thing how we shouldn't have historical sites to battles. She then asks me what battles happened at Manassas and who won. I tell her and she then goes, maybe we shouldn't since the Confederacy won the first one. I am just kind of confused now but okay. I am from the West the Civil War isn't a huge thing but at least most folks have some basic understanding that a civil war is between folks of the same country and history has relevance and importance.

There was a bit about people worshiping the civil war and I don't disagree that we have issues in large swaths teaching it now but I think she kind of was missing th epoint in the idea we should remove all monuments to it. I tend to prefer places like Manassas to be stay as it is the national park service and does a good job presenting the history a rather not creepy way.

So then we move to Columbus day. I did Indigenous People's day or was, I got sick but my friend did instead. General opinion about how Columbus was a dick. Then get into Colonization. She gets into a nasty rant about the Japanese on this. I talk about the complex stuff behind it that doesn't excuse it but what makes the Japanese colonial experience interesting. And also inform her that the Dutch and Belgium had colonies and Belgium was way worse. Which they are like my gold standard. Oh Congo. Which most folks in DC know. Its an odd world of the super educated so I am feel like I am now in some morass and talking to someone with a very cursory knowledge of like anything.

I try to curtail this spiral and ask about what types of things she enjoys. She says movies. Which I am like,
    what was the best movie you have watched. At this point she literally looks and me and says after thing a bit, "You probably wouldn't know it I don't go to AMC or main stream theaters but only to Landmark."

This leads to her dismissing Rey in SW as, "Small steps" and then not knowing about Moonlight which confused me considering her statement on the type of movies she likes. I am really just wanting to finish my beer.

At the end we get into the joyous talk about sports, which is normally fine. But her discussion of sports is like talking to an forumer whose name starts with T about police. She brought it to race, thank you NFL,
    I talk about though it isn't perfect it does produce a platform that isn't always there. She goes into more rants. And she asks me, "You believe it is better for PoC now than it was 50 years ago?" And my response was, "Yes but there are many more miles and much that needs to be done." Her response to this was,

But my god it was the most frustrating person I have talked to. And not because I disagree where she is coming from but it was like talking to someone whose knowledge of complex topics was from a cursory glance at wikipedia or twitter or maybe a facebook headline. I hadn't run into that in years.

So basic

But also...

man what a first date conversation! Do people not normally just talk about themselves and work and stuff? Let's Discuss Colonization is pretty heavy.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
    Burnage wrote: »
    If Neo Yokio was the price we had to pay for Shadowrun the Movie, then, well

I'm not going to say I'll be happy, but

Hear me out -- I think Neo Yokio is... good?

At first I thought it was garbage, but then someone in here pointed out that possibly it was a parody of garbage?

Which I'm now sure is true, and I don't think it does a bad job of it

The gossip folks...

Then it begins...

So basic

But also...

man what a first date conversation! Do people not normally just talk about themselves and work and stuff? Let's Discuss Colonization is pretty heavy.

Yeah...I don't know. I can fall down any sort of history hole if you basically let me. But I rarely bring it up first.

My date yesterday had us bitching about the US health system. But she is a doctor so it makes sense.

u7stthr17eud.png
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOgKjpq7Nws

i know we all have stale bread

steam_sig.png
    EAST COAST

The gossip folks...

Then it begins...

So basic

But also...

Yeah that's totally third date material

First date Civ VI

Second date Pirates!

fuck gendered marketing
    edited October 2017

The gossip folks...

Then it begins...

So basic

But also...

my real question is how has this not come up prior to the date. like how do you hide that personality before agreeing to go out for a date.

but i don't know anything about dating or how people go on dates so. . .

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png

The gossip folks...

Then it begins...

So basic

But also...

my real question is how has this not come up prior to the date. like how do you hide that personality before agreeing to go out for a date.

but i don't know anything about dating or how people go on dates so. . .

This was through bumble.

Total discussion on there was some general crap. And her team doing a D&D at a trivia thing and I think that was it? I despise modern dating I really do.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I love Field Goals.

EAST COAST
    I have no idea how to date

fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.