As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Gifted - An X-Men-Ass X-Men Show

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    A buddy of mine who is a comics nerd practically hissed at the fact that Sentinel Services was like, a government agency and not robots

and i was like just watch the show you fuckin nerd

there's robots

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    A buddy of mine who is a comics nerd practically hissed at the fact that Sentinel Services was like, a government agency and not robots

and i was like just watch the show you fuckin nerd

there's robots

I'm still not entirely sure that some of the members of Sentinel Services aren't skinjobs

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    if they don't even acknowledge Master Mold

I shall be sad

Xehalus on
    edited October 2017
    I will say it's kind of harrowing to realize that every freedom-trodding, totalitarian thing that Sentinel Services and the government does in general in The Gifted is 100% believable because

..well

look at real life

I look at Sentinel Services and I look at ICE and I'm like "oh right, Sentinel Services is the one with the spider-squid robots"

Pony on
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I do appreciate the more grounded aspects of the show. With superheroes, it is too easy to veer into mythological figures and the celestial soap opera, and for a show like The Gifted it is much better served in my opinion shining a light on real-world issues like racism, bigotry, the justice system, even healthcare like the show has so far and not getting sidetracked too much from the things that make it so grounded.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    not to mention all the great actors they got

they even got two people from Burn Notice

also the actress playing Polaris has one of the best death stares I've ever seen

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    This is an awesome show, and I love the fact that of all the shows FOX could have put it with, they chose Lucifer.

sig.gif
    this was a v good episode

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i am about halfway through the episode now

i think my favorite part of this show is the fact that, at any given moment, john proudstar is the dopest motherfucker in the room

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I just watched the first episode of this

and uh

Hi Polaris, hi

I really like how Agent Turner is just kinda this asshole fed doing his job

He refuses Dr. Campbell's offer and sees himself as trying to be reasonable

He's not a sinister villain, he texts his wife

He's just a bigoted jerk on the wrong side of history

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I dont know if he is really bigoted though.

I mean
    he lost his daughter in the July 17 "incident". He said it himself, he doesnt care if its a "good" mutant or a "bad" mutant, in the end his daughter is dead and for him it doesnt matter from whom the energy blast came from, she is still dead.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

i think prejudiced is a better word than bigoted, but that prejudice sure does blind him to the uglier things he is doing to get his job done

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I dont know if he is really bigoted though.

I mean
    he lost his daughter in the July 17 "incident". He said it himself, he doesnt care if its a "good" mutant or a "bad" mutant, in the end his daughter is dead and for him it doesnt matter from whom the energy blast came from, she is still dead.

Yeah, except he's doing nothing but creating more of that for no reason. What would happen if he sat on his ass so far? Nothing, almost. They school gets fixed and...

There has been no mention of criminal mutants currently running around. Now, there's a good chance there are some and the show just hasn't bothered to show us. But they haven't so as far as we know the guy is living in the past and so is everyone else. And forgetting those good mutants were saving lives.

And the security protocol for the mutant smuggling is total dogshit, that should have never even started to work. There were about a dozen ways it should have failed, just starting from the fact he got away. And "It's thin enough" hahahahha. The bartender should have ghosted immediately with everyone instead of coming back with a gun. So from that angle if they get taken down they brought it on themselves.

And set up some other places to run to, already. Ms. Gater should come in handy for that. Too bad we'll get some more bullshit with her now too.

Xeddicus on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Polaris looks like the angry daughter of Stoya and Amanda Seyfried.

sig.gif
    Sorce wrote: »
    Polaris looks like the angry daughter of Stoya and Amanda Seyfried.

...well I'm not unseeing that

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    These episode titles are killing me, but I'd probably do the same thing if I was making an X-Men show, so

Jimothy wrote: »
    These episode titles are killing me, but I'd probably do the same thing if I was making an X-Men show, so

they are aggressively comic books and that is okay by me

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Andy is 50% whine, 50% screaming

Also I have no idea what his power is supposed to be

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »

Is "localized destruction" a power that's been done?
    I thought initially it was like metal control thing since most of his actions had been against metal objects (showers in the school, robots), but then he blew up the door which was wood.

• ChallChall Registered User regular

Earthquakes or maybe just Vibrations?

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Is "localized destruction" a power that's been done?
    I thought initially it was like metal control thing since most of his actions had been against metal objects (showers in the school, robots), but then he blew up the door which was wood.
    I was reading it as TK without any finesse all he can do is push/pull/break stuff.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I feel like both the kids are telekinetics that just have different power signatures for their abilities or ways that they think about using their abilities

Which, if you're gonna have multiple people with the same power, is a really cool way to do it

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I feel like both the kids are telekinetics that just have different power signatures for their abilities or ways that they think about using their abilities

Which, if you're gonna have multiple people with the same power, is a really cool way to do it

Yeah being brother and sister I made that same assumption. I am not sure how much it will ultimately matter unless they start to grow into a more well rounded power set, but on the surface they seem like they are manipulating the same force but differently.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

They address this in some stuff they have on Hulu. According to those his ability is to tear stuff apart. They went for a contrast with one sibling able to tear molecules apart, and one able to bring them together tight enough to form a shield. I guess the best way to view it is the exact opposite of what the sister is doing which is better represented on screen. This is supposing the interview/promo they put up can be trusted.
    I will say it's kind of harrowing to realize that every freedom-trodding, totalitarian thing that Sentinel Services and the government does in general in The Gifted is 100% believable because

..well

look at real life

I look at Sentinel Services and I look at ICE and I'm like "oh right, Sentinel Services is the one with the spider-squid robots"

My beloved spouse finds the show way to anxiety provoking to watch. To paraphrase her, why would I want to watch what our life will be like in a another year or so?

yeah I basically see the Strucker kids as having variations of telekinesis

Lauren can "push" stuff, pushing molecules together to form bubbles, shields, shove things like knocking a candy bar out of a vending machine

Andy can "pull" stuff, ripping things apart, bending them and generally just fucking wrecking shit

Lauren has three years of carefully learning her powers while staying in the closet and trying to live a normal life.

Andy, on the other hand, has bullying and trauma and his powers are fueled by anger and rage and has no training, self-taught or otherwise, so he's basically a loaded gun that wants to fire

He looked at the angry mob outside his uncle's house and all he saw was another gang of bullies here to hurt him and his family and his first instinct was fuck them, it was incredibly believable even if it doesn't make Andy the nicest person in the universe?

He's a teenager who has been bullied and tormented, of course he's not emotionally stable or making smart choices

Also, this show is going with a detail that some interpretations of the X-Men do establish regarding mutant powers (and was definitely the case in say, X-Men First Class) where how you emotionally draw upon your powers and your mental state that leads you to using them kinda has an impact on your ability to use them and how you end up using them.

In First Class, it's Magneto using his rage over the Holocaust and the death of his mother and Xavier trying to encourage him to instead use peace and serenity and the difference in how his powers develop and the kind of person he becomes in terms of clinging to past trauma versus letting go.

In The Gifted, it's John trying to talk to Blink about finding something good instead of fear and trauma and the need to constantly escape, and Blink feeling like she has nothing to live for or good things in her life. (John is a very good person <3 )

But it also reflects in Andy, who currently is drawing his power purely from pain and trauma and rage and well

you see how that's going so far

it ain't good

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    His power has just been visually inconsistent. Sometimes it's like a wave exploding out of him destroying stuff, sometimes it's things shaking or crinkling up nearby, sometimes he pushed things, sometimes he slices through metal

Like, I understand character wise he doesn't have finesse with his powers yet, I just genuinely couldn't follow what exactly it's supposed to be

yeah the VFX guys should pick an approach and stick with it

Hopefully the season ends with a cliffhanger of Quentin Quire taking Andy under his wing

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Wait Quentin is in the show?

Fencingsax on
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Wait Quentin is in the show?

no

i always read andy's power as being ill defined because andy himself doesn't know what it is

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I really like how Agent Turner is just kinda this asshole fed doing his job

He refuses Dr. Campbell's offer and sees himself as trying to be reasonable

He's not a sinister villain, he texts his wife

He's just a bigoted jerk on the wrong side of history

Ehhh...

I'd say Agent Turner is the pure banality of all of this.

He's a guy who would crack jokes towards someone while he destroys their life.

He's a bad guy, through & through.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Thread title is accurate but this is also a 2017-ass x-men show

I'm in love with the spider drones

I can't help but think that Lauren is played by Hayden Panettiere and I keep thinking her character is called Claire

I can't help but think that Lauren is played by Hayden Panettiere and I keep thinking her character is called Claire

my brother immediately called out the weird parallels between Lauren and Reed and Claire and Noah

If Reed looked like Noah it would be like

show c'mon

my brother immediately called out the weird parallels between Lauren and Reed and Claire and Noah

show c'mon

I had to look her character's name up because I just default to Claire.

I'm kinda hoping the season ends with her being the Xavier type and Andy being the Magneto type

show c'mon

I had to look her character's name up because I just default to Claire.

I'm kinda hoping the season ends with her being the Xavier type and Andy being the Magneto type

I definitely think the last episode is setting Andy up in a very Magneto direction

like his reaction to every conflict was

fuck that

fuck them and fuck that

Andy reminds me very much of the kid from Chronicle

I'll just be happy if he wears a Magneto Was Right shirt at some point

i wanna see that shirt pop up on the show on anyone, genuinely

i don't care who wears it