As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cooking: Welcome Back to the Good Food Thread.

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Butter and Flour = etoufette. oil and flour = Roux. At least thats the southern way of looking at it.

nah, any fat and flour is a roux, even in the south. maybe your family calls it that though. also something like a gumbo requires more of a dark roux where you cook it until it's a brick-wood color, while bechamel and ettoufee usually only takes a blond roux, where the flour is cooked just enough to no longer have a raw taste and smell. the less you cook a roux, the more thickening power it has, which is why bechamel and ettoufee have more of a 'gravy' consistency

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Anybody here made overnight oats? Trying out a recipe tonight for breakfast this week. The ingredients sound tasty but the pictures make it look like lumpy paste.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Anybody here made overnight oats? Trying out a recipe tonight for breakfast this week. The ingredients sound tasty but the pictures make it look like lumpy paste.

I have. Bunch of times! It's very good. What are the proportions they're giving you

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup (heaping) rolled oats
    2/3 cup unsweetened milk of choice
    1 tablespoon chia seeds or ground flaxmeal
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Pinch of salt
    0-2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup

I'm also going to throw in some frozen blueberries.

@TheRoadVirus

webguy20 on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Yea, any fat and flour is a roux. And if you use the right fat you're imparting the flavor of the fat into the dish as well, along with the subtle nuttiness that comes from the browning of the flour.

This is doubly so when using something like bone marrow which is a fat that is carrying all manner of beef flavor.

Yea, eggs and cream can get the job done as a thickener in something like a mac and cheese, but so does a roux and milk.

Different pots, different people.

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Pinch of salt

TheRoadVirus

The yogurt and milk together seems like a lot of liquid

the base I use has 3/4 cup of milk to 1/2 cup of oats and I like its consistency

zkHcp.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I have acquired a whole chicken.

The trick will be roasting it without duck trying to jump into the oven to get it.

Who has a good method for roasting a chicken? Also I guess I finally need a proper roasting pan with a rack...

Uriel wrote: »

The trick will be roasting it without duck trying to jump into the oven to get it.

Who has a good method for roasting a chicken? Also I guess I finally need a proper roasting pan with a rack...

You don't need a roasting pan and a rack for roasting a chicken. You can use them, sure...but you sure as hell don't need one.

Got a saute pan that the chicken will fit into? Great. You're good to go.

Here's the recipe:

Let the chicken come up to room temperature.
    Get your oven up to 450 degrees.
    Remove any extraneous items that may be hiding inside the chicken (giblets, neck, etc, etc).
    Do not rinse the chicken.
    Pat the chicken dry.
    Sprinkle salt and pepper across the skin of the chicken.
    Place the chicken into the pan.
    Place the pan into the oven.
    Walk away for an hour (assuming your bird is somewhere around 4 pounds).
    Do not open the oven to look at it.
    Do not stuff the bird.
    At the hour mark pull the pan with the bird out of the oven.
    Carefully transfer the bird out of the pan and onto a cutting board.
    Let the bird rest for 15 min.
    Then carve that bitch up and enjoy.

If you're feeling a little fancier - while the chicken is resting you can put the pan onto the stove on a medium low heat and then toss in some butter and some acid (lemon juice or white wine work really well). It'll come to a light boil and while it does that scrap the bottom of the pan with a spoon or something to get up all the bits. Toss in a pinch of herbs (thyme and sage are great). Let it reduce a little. Turn off the stove. DO NOT GRAB THE PAN HANDLE DURING THIS PROCESS (I have done that shit twice now and 450 degree pan handles leave marks).

Drizzle your pan sauce over your chicken and whatever else you made to go with in and enjoy.

Arg that sounds good.

But alas I have no good saute pan for that. Just non stick skillets.

Will I do have an old aluminum one but it is very old and probably needs scrubbed really good if not buffed down.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular

If you're new to roasting chicken, I strongly recommend spatchcocking it. Basically snip/cut out the spine and flatten it - this is much easier than you think it's going to be. Then tuck some butter and finely chopped herb of choice (I like tarragon, but thyme is good also) under the breast skin, then season the whole skin generously with crunchy salt and pepper, put it in a roasting dish and roast @ 200C it for 35-40 mins. If you like mushrooms, roast it on a bed of mushrooms, which will absorb some of the tasty chicken drippings and contribute roasted mushroomy tastes to the pan - making it basically the work of a moment to make a chicken mushroom sauce to go with your chicken. (Put the chicken and the roasted mushrooms on a warm plate and cover with foil. Pour the roasting juices into a pan with half a glass of not too dry white wine. Whisk a little cornflour or something in if you want to thicken it up, and cook the fuck out of it for 5 minutes until it's reduced by about 1/3.)

Because you have flattened the chicken out, you're far less likely to have under/overcooked zones, and the breasts will stay very juicy and tender. The cooking time is conveniently exactly enough time to make a big bowl of mashed potatoes and some greens of choice to go alongside.

My sister is a terrible cook and even she can produce a competant, not overcooked, roast chicken with this method.

Arg that sounds good.

But alas I have no good saute pan for that. Just non stick skillets.

Will I do have an old aluminum one but it is very old and probably needs scrubbed really good if not buffed down.

Your nonstick skillet will work as well. Just be sure that the handle can take the heat. Same same with the exception that you won't really have to scrape the bits off the bottom of the pan. That'll just happen.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    so, i've got a bunch of very soy-ish stock leftover and it's super nice and would be good for using again (although i'm probably just going to freeze it for a bit). And i'm probably gonna try cooking some chicken pieces in it later, but the recipe book also has a recipe for brisket using it. And i'm pretty tempted to try making brisket, however, the recipe itself is for making brisket croquettes, and I might not bother with those additional steps.

but i was gonna ask

how do you serve brisket? Like, you cook it and you shred it, and is it good to just have with some sort of salad, or slaw or something?

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I kept on reading about oats in various places on the forums so I made my first Autumn food.

Apple spiced oatmeal. So comfy :D

Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, sugar, apple, dash of milk, small spot of butter, rolled quick oats. Also makes the house smell amazing. Added plus.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Lalabox wrote: »
    so, i've got a bunch of very soy-ish stock leftover and it's super nice and would be good for using again (although i'm probably just going to freeze it for a bit). And i'm probably gonna try cooking some chicken pieces in it later, but the recipe book also has a recipe for brisket using it. And i'm pretty tempted to try making brisket, however, the recipe itself is for making brisket croquettes, and I might not bother with those additional steps.

but i was gonna ask

how do you serve brisket? Like, you cook it and you shred it, and is it good to just have with some sort of salad, or slaw or something?

If you're cooking it in the oven, it's probably easiest to slice it (think the Grinch carving the roast beast) and pour the sauce over the top on each individual's plate. It's hard to store leftover shredded brisket without it drying out unless you mix it with the sauce. That requires you to cook the shredded brisket and the sauce together low and slow for an hour or two to mingle the flavor, and is best suited for a slow cooker. Shredded brisket is more commonly used to make sandwiches, while carved brisket is generally plated. Although go nuts, a heap of shredded brisket in sauce is a perfectly fine fork food.

Traditional sides for brisket include red beans, corn (creamed or on the cob), coleslaw, green beans, black-eyed peas, fried okra, and some form of bread. Hot rolls are very nice, but cornbread or just a slice of your favorite sandwich bread to sop up the sauce both work just fine.

Disclaimer: I grew up in the Texas sphere of influence when it comes to brisket. Someone from Kansas or one of the Carolinas is going to come in here with some of their bullshit, and you go with whatever sounds tastiest.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Hm. I've had a can of steel-cut oats in my kitchen unopened for the longest time (over a year). And I have a crock-pot in which to cook such things overnight.

A: will oats of that type still be safe to eat after that much time in a sealed can?

B: can I make decent oats in a crock-pot without milk or yogurt/can I substitute some store-bought yogurt/fruit mix (dannon light-and-fit brand variety, to be precise) for plain yogurt?

Enlong on
  • cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    if they aren't moldy or full of moths, should be fine, grains are kinda meant for long term storage

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Pinch of salt

@TheRoadVirus

The stuff I've done in the past has been 1/3c each of oats, milk, and Greek yogurt. That's been just the right consistency for me. I always add other stuff though like banana or peanut butter. Chia seeds will soak some liquid so I could see a bit more than 1/3c

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Ok, so crumble update. I take back my 8/10 crumbles rating. On hindsight (and a giant second piece after it had been in the fridge overnight) I rescind that score and replace it with a meager 4/10 crumble rating!

But wait, there's more.

That's actually not a bad thing. I'd forgotten that instead of light brown sugar I'd used dark since that's what we had. So, dark brown sugar has more molasses plus I melted/softened the butter and the "crumble" was really more of a chewy, dark, spicy filling.

Which is awesome.

So now this recipe, which I both made up and mistaked myself into is not what my wife calls, "upside down apple pie." I'm sure that's already a thing but whatever.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Yes. It looks good only in pics, before liquid is added. I really wanted to like it, but nope. Mushy fruits are gross to me.

grrmusha on
    Apparently my chicken is 6 pounds.

How will this affect cooking time?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »

You don't need a roasting pan and a rack for roasting a chicken. You can use them, sure...but you sure as hell don't need one.

Here's the recipe:

Remove any extraneous items that may be hiding inside the chicken (giblets, neck, etc, etc).
    Pat the chicken dry.
    Do not stuff the bird.

If you're feeling a little fancier - while the chicken is resting you can put the pan onto the stove on a medium low heat and then toss in some butter and some acid (lemon juice or white wine work really well). It'll come to a light boil and while it does that scrap the bottom of the pan with a spoon or something to get up all the bits. Toss in a pinch of herbs (thyme and sage are great). Let it reduce a little. Turn off the stove. DO NOT GRAB THE PAN HANDLE DURING THIS PROCESS (I have done that shit twice now and 450 degree pan handles leave marks).

Drizzle your pan sauce over your chicken and whatever else you made to go with in and enjoy.

As a quick suggestion, if you've got some handy, toss some aromatic stuff in the cavity before baking. A quartered onion, maybe a lemon, some bundled herbs, a chopped clove of garlic or two... that kind of thing.
    You're not going to be eating this part, but it will help flavor the chicken (and the pan sauce, if you go that route).

alrighty made up the first batch of overnight oats. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out tomorrow morning.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »

but i was gonna ask

If you're cooking it in the oven, it's probably easiest to slice it (think the Grinch carving the roast beast) and pour the sauce over the top on each individual's plate. It's hard to store leftover shredded brisket without it drying out unless you mix it with the sauce. That requires you to cook the shredded brisket and the sauce together low and slow for an hour or two to mingle the flavor, and is best suited for a slow cooker. Shredded brisket is more commonly used to make sandwiches, while carved brisket is generally plated. Although go nuts, a heap of shredded brisket in sauce is a perfectly fine fork food.

Traditional sides for brisket include red beans, corn (creamed or on the cob), coleslaw, green beans, black-eyed peas, fried okra, and some form of bread. Hot rolls are very nice, but cornbread or just a slice of your favorite sandwich bread to sop up the sauce both work just fine.

Disclaimer: I grew up in the Texas sphere of influence when it comes to brisket. Someone from Kansas or one of the Carolinas is going to come in here with some of their bullshit, and you go with whatever sounds tastiest.

Whoa

Whooaaaaa now hang on a damn minute

Burnt ends are great but Carolina is pork BBQ country.

What I'm saying is Texas brisket is the best.
    but Carolina pulled pork wins at the barbecue olympics but not the kind with ketchup in that's for weirdos

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking of diving into the deep end. I might try to make some ramen this weekend.

I have chicken stock, I have sheepheads mushrooms, I have some skin on chicken. I just need some good noodles.

Any tips for a first timer?

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Made some oven roasted potatoes tonight.

Cut them into chunks and coated then with a mix of

Olive oil
    Balsamic vinegar
    Garlic
    Onion powder, salt, pepper, and rosemary

They probably would have tasted even better hot out if the oven, but we had a vomiting baby emergency that took precedence.

She's fine, food was good.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I'm thinking of diving into the deep end. I might try to make some ramen this weekend.

I have chicken stock, I have sheepheads mushrooms, I have some skin on chicken. I just need some good noodles.

Buy some from whichever flavour of Asian grocery store you have closest to you?

So....drive about two hours?

edited October 2017

Do you have access to any kind vermicelli or anything? I'd think even spaghetti would work if you aren't worried about leftovers. But I just get the packets of noodles and toss the seasoning in the drawer and use those.

Make the ramen using plain ass water and then add to the broth after. Add fun extras to the ramen like a soft boiled egg or slice of chicken or ham and some green onions if you've got them. Garlic maybe?

You want a nice concentrated broth that'll stick to the noodles some optimally. But if you're using real ass broth it'll be tasty regardless

Erin The Red on
    I have stock from a carton, but its the nicer stuff. I'm baking up some chicken thighs, making the broth with stock, olive oil, some chicken drippings, garlic, ginger, and mushrooms. I'm doing an egg for me, but my ladyfriend hates eggs. Going to slice the egg in half and slice up the chicken into thinish cuts.

And yeah I'm not going to make any noodles but I bet I can find something.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Whoever is going to make the new thread when this one gets closed, pls make it early and post the link here.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    I was going to make the new thread but looking at the first post of this thread, I am intimidated.

edited October 2017
    Erin The Red on
    see317 wrote: »

Here's the recipe:

Pat the chicken dry.
    Do not stuff the bird.

As a quick suggestion, if you've got some handy, toss some aromatic stuff in the cavity before baking. A quartered onion, maybe a lemon, some bundled herbs, a chopped clove of garlic or two... that kind of thing.
    You're not going to be eating this part, but it will help flavor the chicken (and the pan sauce, if you go that route).

I avoid doing this in chicken because I want that crispy skin and anything that introduces moisture into the oven will affect that process.

Apparently my chicken is 6 pounds.

How will this affect cooking time?

Hm.

Let it go for an hour and 15 in the oven and then rest for 20.

And I can't stress this enough: If you're using the method I outlined before then you have to let that bird come up to room temp or just under before you cook it. If you go straight from fridge to oven you're gonna have a raw bird.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Probs easier than trying to make decent noodles from scratch for the first time by yourself, yeah.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Most grocery chains carry udon or rice noodles, even walmart usually has them.

If you don't live in the US, you might be SOL.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Probs easier than trying to make decent noodles from scratch for the first time by yourself, yeah.

I'm not sure where you live, but asian grocery stores are really common. They usually are small hole in the wall places. i bet if you did a search you would find something much closer that you never knew was there.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Here's the recipe:

Pat the chicken dry.
    Do not stuff the bird.

I avoid doing this in chicken because I want that crispy skin and anything that introduces moisture into the oven will affect that process.

I dunno, I find as long as you salt your chicken half an hour before cooking it, then pat it dry and oil it, I've never not had crispy skin.

• grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    Made some oven roasted potatoes tonight.

Cut them into chunks and coated then with a mix of

Olive oil
    Balsamic vinegar
    Garlic
    Onion powder, salt, pepper, and rosemary

They probably would have tasted even better hot out if the oven, but we had a vomiting baby emergency that took precedence.

She's fine, food was good.

That's my fav way to roast potatoes, minus vinegar, and I also boil them a bit first. Result are crispy potatoes that are soft inside, yumm.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    parboiling is the way and the light

This discussion has been closed.