As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking thread] what is the internet but an enormous recipe book?

Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMABaton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
edited October 2017 in Social Entropy++
To understand cooking, we must first understand its roots.

Coo is the call of the pigeon
King is a male head of state

What food will you apply heat to as a tribute to the Lord of pigeons?

I'm making Cuban pork in the crock pot and am gonna have Cuban sandwiches for dinner. Be jealous

Erin The Red on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    mmm pizzas

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I need to try and make a deep dish in my cast iron one day. That's like my favorite way to pizza. Deepest dish

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yam
    Taro
    Carrots
    Radish
    Potatoes

these are all roots that you can cook.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Do onions count as roots? Because I cook those all the time.

Enlong on
  • Options
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Yuca!

Great with spicy pickled veg and chicharrones

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So your saying all pizzas cooked in this thread have pineapple on them?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Nah, just the ones we're giving you and the other blasphemers.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    So your saying all pizzas cooked in this thread have pineapple on them?

To each a pizza according to their tastes
    From each a pizza according to their skills

• Options
    Pineapple, bacon, and Jalapeño makes for a surprisingly tasty and well-balanced pizza.

Probably any meat would work in bacon's slot, but I like bacon.

• Options
    Anyone have a fun food adventure they're cooking up soon? Def gonna dump cubano pictures in here. I put way more garlic than usual because I'm a grown ass woman who can make her own life choices.

• Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    I'm going to try and make buchimgae tonight with the flour I got at an asian market. Hopefully I don't flip it into a million pieces.

• Options
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    I'm going to try and make buchimgae tonight with the flour I got at an asian market. Hopefully I don't flip it into a million pieces.

Good luck! I just looked up what that was and I'm on board

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm trying to think if I will be able to do this chicken tonight or if I want to do it up tomorrow.

It might still be somewhat frozen from the cooler the store had it in when I bought it I'll have to check.

• Options
    Anyone have a fun food adventure they're cooking up soon? Def gonna dump cubano pictures in here. I put way more garlic than usual because I'm a grown ass woman who can make her own life choices.

I'm making spinach kofta tomorrow night. I was going to last week but it didn't happen

• Options
    my non stick skillets are apparently only oven safe to 400 not 450.

So I gotta try to figure out if I can fit this 6 pound bird into this slightly smaller one saute pan I have.

• Options
    Ok it is in the oven and it smells crazy good. Fingers crossed here.

It's driving the kitten crazy. Keeping him off it while I do a pan sauce will be tricky.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I'm going to make ground beef and potato enchiladas tonight. Not sure if I'll make a sauce from scratch or take a store-bought one and doctor it up. Probably the latter.

• Options
    22519328_10156163071393676_6819345950979072500_n.jpg?oh=5aaf37941deb860a69b1060d3f85abe5&oe=5A6C0DB0

So this came out really good actually.

I was worried a bit too much about the time and it came out reading like 175 on my thermometer but it was really tasty, especially with the sauce which was good and buttery and MMmmm.

Next time though a little less salt, the skin is just too salty for me sadly.

• Options
    Cubano get!
    u4Q0K5dl.jpg
    PtSbl25l.jpg

• Options
    Managed to not screw up flipping the buchimgae.
    22528003_866828912420_6140921051243449330_n.jpg?oh=12740505ac1439e6fd58f78e805b5730&oe=5A3C1D7A

• Options
    edited October 2017
    I'm considering cooking a pork shoulder in my oven at a low temp for 8 hours overnight as I sleep, and then turning the oven off and leaving it in there, possibly with foil tented over it, while I go to work. Then at dinner time, I'd turn the oven back on, high, to get the pork hot again and finish crushing the outside. Are there any major issues with doing this, such that I should just be patient and make this during the weekend?

Enlong on
  • Options
    Here is a crappy pic of my enchiladas right out of the oven.

7k62z71pkvfr.jpg

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I'm considering cooking a pork shoulder in my oven at a low temp for 8 hours overnight as I sleep, and then turning the oven off and leaving it in there, possibly with foil tented over it, while I go to work. Then at dinner time, I'd turn the oven back on, high, to get the pork hot again and finish crushing the outside. Are there any major issues with doing this, such that I should just be patient and make this during the weekend?

Your pork will cool down into the danger zone (<140°F) unless your workday is only 2-3 hours long, your oven just isn't that efficient at holding heat. You may be able to wrap the pork in several layers of foil then store it with some towels in the smallest cooler you have (since the insulating properties on those are much better) but I wouldn't keep my food in there longer than about 4 hours before checking the temperature for safety.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

You'd probably be okay, but I think I'd be hesitant to eat meat that had been left at essentially room temperature for however long you're at work. Unless it's a short day or something and you're getting home 2 or 3 hours after you left.
    But then, I don't know your oven, if it can keep the temp above 140 (f) for the 8+ hours turned off then no problem.

Personally, I'd do it over the weekend and then eat leftover pork shoulder as long as possible.

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »

7k62z71pkvfr.jpg

87e879fd_843b_4d73_b2ff_0c3cf1a5be0d_125x131.jpg

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »

Your pork will cool down into the danger zone (<140°F) unless your workday is only 2-3 hours long, your oven just isn't that efficient at holding heat. You may be able to wrap the pork in several layers of foil then store it with some towels in the smallest cooler you have (since the insulating properties on those are much better) but I wouldn't keep my food in there longer than about 4 hours before checking the temperature for safety.

Fair enough. I won't do that, then. Thanks.

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »

7k62z71pkvfr.jpg

87e879fd_843b_4d73_b2ff_0c3cf1a5be0d_125x131.jpg

I don't know if I should be proud or offended.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So yea, overnight oats are pretty good. A really filling tasty breakfast for around 400-500 calories depending on ingredients.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    22528003_866828912420_6140921051243449330_n.jpg?oh=12740505ac1439e6fd58f78e805b5730&oe=5A3C1D7A

What kind? Green onion?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    2am and I can't sleep

so I whisked together 3 cups of water, 1.5 cups of plain yogurt, 4 tbsp besam, and a tsp of garam masala

also put 2 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp fenugreek seeds, 1 tsp turmeric, and 1 tsp chili powder into a container for heating and grinding tomorrow.

I'll add to that a whole onion diced and sauteed in oil, garlic, and something I can't remember because it's after 2am and why can't I sleep!?

spinach kofta tomorrow should be easy since I did half of it already =p

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Guys. Gimme a chocolate cake recipe.

please and thank you

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    If you're looking for a layer cake, this ain't it, but this is the recipe that my mother has made for years and it's really good. (I'm saying this as someone who doesn't like cake.) It's from the Silver Palate cookbook.

Decadent Chocolate Cake

1 cup boiling water
    3 oz unsweetened chocolate
    8 tbsp sweet butter
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    2 cups granulated sugar
    2 eggs, separated
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 c sour cream
    2 cups less 2 tbsp unbleached, all-purpose flour, sifted
    1 tsp baking powder
    chocolate frosting

1. Preheat oven to 176 C. Grease and flour a 10" springform/tube pan. Knock out excess.
    2. Pour boiling water over chocolate and butter; let stand until melted. Stir in the vanilla and sugar, then whisk in egg yolks, one at a time, blending well after each addition.
    3. Mix baking soda and sour cream and whisk into chocolate mixture.
    4. Sift flour and baking powder together and add to batter, mixing thoroughly.
    5. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Stir a quarter of the egg whites thoroughly into the batter. Scoop remaining egg whites on top of the batter and gently fold together.
    6. Pour batter into the prepared pan. set on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the edges have pulled away from the sides of the pan and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes; unmold and cool completely before frosting.

Chocolate Frosting
    2 tbsp sweet butter
    3/4 c semisweet chocolate chips
    6 tbsp heavy cream
    1 1/4 c sifted confectioners' sugar, or as needed
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Place all ingredients in a heavy saucepan over low heat and whisk until smooth. Cool slightly; add more sugar if necessary to achieve a spreading consistency. Spread on cake while frosting is still warm.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So ramen happened last night
    22492034_10105084966742888_2544680727921042160_n.jpg?oh=62f98ab5542f522f8c76023a268d729c&oe=5A84FB87

There are definitely things I would change. Less garlic, dry mushrooms instead of wet, maybe add some carrots, low sodium soy sauce, but the broth was delicious and the noodles were great and the chicken was perfect.

• Options

What kind? Green onion?

I put green onion, cabbage, and a bit of kimchi into it.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    @Lost Salient that looks like a fantastic recipe.

I have one for a flourless chocolate orange cake somewhere at home, but Sandra's looks tops.

• Options
    There is a semblance of a chill in the air. Time for acorn squash and sweet potato soup!

It's got coconut milk so it's good and creamy and has ginger and garam marsala so it's got nice spice taste and it's warm and filling and very tasty

Uhfi777l.jpg
    6IMTDNOl.jpg
    6IMTDNOl.jpg
    wHvz3Jrl.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I hear ya there! I'm going to make a potato corn bacon chowder this weekend along with some biscuits.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I made a yogurt sauce with besan, yogurt, mustard seed, turmeric, fenugreek seed, garlic, onion, and chili powder

It .... tastes god awful

I'm hoping that simmering will help?

This discussion has been closed.