As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RIP The Hip

2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
Gord Downie, lead singer for The Tragically Hip, has died. He'll be remembered for being the frontman of the most Canadian band of all time, for his advocacy for Canadian First Nation's rights, and for one hell of a send off tour last year.

tragically-hip-frontman-gord-downie.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/gord-downie-obit-1.4359906

https://youtu.be/e8Fi46BFAF0

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    fuck

New Orleans is sinking and the 100th meridian are two of my favorite songs if all time

Guess I'm wearing my shredded tragically hip shirt to work today

Fuck

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I just found out about him last year, he seemed like a good person. I loved Ahead By A Century

• Options
    I got to shoot their very last show in Kingston, just getting some footage for the city. During a couple songs I turned my camera off and chilled. This is one of 'em.

https://youtu.be/o6QDjDPRF5c

I'll cherish that night as long as I live.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Man, that final show

My best friends and I were on a weekend trip, hiking in the Cape Breton highlands and then heading back to the motel to watch The Hip just felt like the most Canadian thing ever

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Man, that final show

My best friends and I were on a weekend trip, hiking in the Cape Breton highlands and then heading back to the motel to watch The Hip just felt like the most Canadian thing ever

That sounds like the premise for a Tragically Hip song, except they'd be jamming to Gordon Lightfoot or something instead.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    if anyone wants an intro to the Tragically Hip and aren't sure where to start, I highly recommend the Live Between Us album. Some of my favourite versions of some of their best songs, and Downie's sometimes eccentric, spontaneous stage presence.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I learned about The Tragically Hip through Trailer Park Boys so it feels weird that he'd pass the same week as John Dunsworth.

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    I learned about The Tragically Hip through Trailer Park Boys so it feels weird that he'd pass the same week as John Dunsworth.

Yeah, it's been a rough week for Canadian culture.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Fuck! Knew this day was coming and still, it sucks terribly

There were more than a few nights of homesickness that I spent crying on the floor listening to the Hip and thinking of home. I listened to them here and there before moving to the States, but somehow no other music really struck me as distinct a reminder of Canada as much as theirs.

Fuck 2017, what a worthless goddamn year.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Even though we knew this was coming, it's still incredibly heartbreaking.
    The Hip were just so distinctly Canadian.

Losing John Dunsworth and Gord back to back like this is a real gut punch.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    I was trying to narrow down like a top 10 Hip songs this morning and I don't know if I could do it. So glad I got to see them live.

• Options
    DMAC wrote: »
    I was trying to narrow down like a top 10 Hip songs this morning and I don't know if I could do it. So glad I got to see them live.

I've been listening to them all all day at work, haven't repeated a song, and haven't heard one isn't a total gem.

• Options
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Really sad. Glad I got to see him live.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I was always a fan of Tragically Hip. Never my favorite band but they always found their way into my play lists.

RIP

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    I have teared up 3 times today at Hip lyrics.

I think my eyes are broken.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    i was swimming at the rec centre pool and the radio station was, of course, playing the hip

and i was like aw man

while i was chilling in the sauna, some dudes were talking about gord and stuff and them playing the hip on the radio (which you couldn't hear in the sauna) and he's like "well, y'know, being in the pool is like being in the rain, y'know, nobody sees you cry" and we all had a good cathartic laugh

Pony on