As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Omegathon Registration

SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
edited September 2017 in PAX Unplugged
Got an e-mail talking about Omegathon sign-ups and the link goes to the place where you buy tickets. Is there anything other than having bought a ticket to do, to say, "hey, I'd like to be chosen?" Or is it just going to be pulled from literally everyone who bought tickets and keep going down the list till they get 20 "yes!" 's?

edit: Looks like we got an answer over here: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/38359788/#Comment_38359788 . Don't see a "delete thread" button, so, <shrug>

Schmulki on

• Options
    tinkrbell1437tinkrbell1437 Registered User regular
    From the "What We Know So Far" stickied post:
    vid wrote: »
    If it's similar to how they handled it for West this year, everyone who bought passes will receive an e-mail asking if you would like to be considered for the Omegathon. Once you've filled out the attached form, then you'll be in the running.

Keep an eye on your inbox!

• Options
    Hmm...I don't remember getting that, checked my e-mail, don't see anything in there about it. Did those go out a while ago?

• Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    No, they haven't gone out yet.

55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Just got my survey email. Good luck Omeganauts!

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Crap!! I bought all 3 badges for my household so we only got 1 registration email! Is there no way the others in my party can register?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    AFAIK it's always been 1 per registration with no way to change that.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    whypick1 wrote: »
    AFAIK it's always been 1 per registration with no way to change that.

I guess we're going to have to fight for it

• Options

You got the e-mail, right? Looks like the fight is already over ;)

• Options
    Schmulki wrote: »

You got the e-mail, right? Looks like the fight is already over ;)

Ha ha ha - I like the way you think! And it is so true! I did get to register, but I sent the guys a courtesy text before I did it :)

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Its not really a choice. If the call comes, only the person who bought the tickets can be the one, if they pass, then the call goes to another who bought tickets and opted in. You can not choose your successor, sorry.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    So, what do folks think of the events for the Omegathon? I'm....not too sure. I was hoping for at least some of the games to be a bit....heavier? You have 2 kids games (Junk Art, Spot It), 2 party/social kinda games (Captain Sonar, Wits and Wages), and mystery last round. According to BGG, the heaviest game of the group is Captain Sonar at a 2/5.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Well they need to be accessible for those who've never played, and fast and fun to watch for the audience. It is an interesting combination of games though.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DragonDragon Registered User regular
    As someone who got the call today....I could care less what the games are...except that I’m now going to be practicing like crazy lol

• Options
    Seems like if you were selected, you should care a whole lot more since you're going to have to practice them quite a bit.

• Options
    LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    PA had to make selections based on game length and spectacle. As awesome as heavier games are, even something as "light" as, say, Dominion or as quick as Race For The Galaxy, you have to admit that they don't make for an engaging experience for the viewer audience, and keeping the games to the allotted time window would be tricky.

I was not part of the game selection team in any way -- but I'm excited by what was chosen. These will be fun to play *and* fun for viewers to watch and cheer the Omeganauts on.

Lackey on
  • Options
    I dunno, have you watched much Tabletop? They have no problem with mid-weight games being fun to watch.

If PA was worried about games moving along quickly, then app versions of games.

Logistics/entertainment aren't anything difficult to overcome.

• Options
    DragonDragon Registered User regular
    Schmulki wrote: »
    I dunno, have you watched much Tabletop? They have no problem with mid-weight games being fun to watch.

If PA was worried about games moving along quickly, then app versions of games.

Logistics/entertainment aren't anything difficult to overcome.

That would defeat the purpose of Unplugged though

• Options
    I'm talking about app versions of the literal exact same board games. Considering it would be the same exact game, just quicker to set up/play and easier to output to screens so audience/people at home streaming could see easier, it would be no less unplugged than the fact that we have lights and cameras involved. It's still in the spirit. Heck, isn't there even a handheld lounge at this thing?

• Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    I see where you're coming from, but I feel like having the physical version of the game fits the spirit of things much better. The Omegathon is such a central part of the experience, it would be disappointing to see a bunch of Omeganauts on stage beep-booping on tablets during the inaugural event for an analogue focused PAX.

I'd also be careful about writing anything off as just a "kids game" - I'm not familiar with Junk Art or Spot It! just yet, but having spent a few years working in a tabletop store in the past, I've watched adults get pretty invested in games with a low age threshold and find all kinds of strategies that you might not expect.

I'm just saying, give it a shot before you write off the Omegathon. I have faith that it's going to be another great competition.

55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Omegathon has never been about skill, it's about pitting people against each other for the viewer's amusement. As a former Omeganaut, there's so much potential stress involved I'm not sure I would have wanted any of the games to be complex. There was plenty of drama available with simplistic games.

• Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    I don't think an app-based version of a game would break the spirit of Unplugged. There was a PA tweet about it somewhere (I'd link if I could find it, or maybe it was in the recent AMA) that mentioned the Unplugged Omegathon is tabletop-focused, but that digital implementations will never be ruled out as an option. We've even talked here on this forum about how Unplugged will strive to have a Handheld area in the future to support this form of tabletop play, plugged in or not.

That being said, if I was putting on the Omegathon, I'd be very wary of digital implementations of tabletop games. Think about it. They are almost exclusively server-side games. The ones that support local play don't do it via local network, they do it via pass & play, which is awful for the players. Makes the game take longer, and also cuts into the competition by making it harder to see what opponents are doing. Even if wireless play was an option, remember the Spaceteam Omegathon? Cram a few thousand people in a room and the signal won't stay up for long. They'd have to use PC-based tabletop games, and there is a growing variety on Steam. Hell you could throw them in Tabletop Simulator, even Tabletop Simulator VR for extra crowd entertainment, but those controls have a quite a learning curve.

I also agree that some slightly heavier games could be made entertaining, but not too much heavier. That being said, I'm really happy with Junk Art and Captain Sonar. Wits and Wagers is an entertaining crowd game as well. I'm not quite sure about Spot It, but I will give the benefit of the doubt.

Historically, Captain Sonar at a 2 is above the weight of tabletop games in past Omegathons from regular PAXes, such as Codenames, Evolution: The Beginning, Scattegories, etc.

• Options
    I think captain sonar will be a hit. Adding the stress of a crowd to what can already be a stressful game should make for some really good entertainment.

• Options
    I think Captain Sonar is going to involve a lot of accidental cheating.

Source: literally every game I've played or have seen played of the game has involved a lot of accidental cheating.

• Options
    it's certainly possible! true with many games.

• Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    You say "accidental cheating", I say "hilarious crowd-based fun". It's going to be a beautiful mess, which should make for a great show.

• Options
    Yea, maybe, I'm just sad at the direction this whole thing went. Was hoping/expecting it would be something I'd be interested in seeing/participating in. Now, even if I get a call, I'm saying no thanks :(

• Options
    It's definitely not for everyone.