As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'll be your 1-Up Girl! [Super Mario Odyssey]

HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud.Registered User regular
edited October 2017 in Games and Technology
5xPsCNN.png
Available Now!

Reviews:
SxtGcFL.png

Once every few years Nintendo opens a door into the core Super Mario universe and we're taken on mushroom-munching platform adventures that always leave us demanding more. With every new Super Mario game comes some innovation or thematic approach that continues to expand the world we enjoy and Mario Odyssey appears to take that a huge leap forward with crazy new world designs, a ridiculous hat mechanic, and an abrupt change to the normal 'overworld' formula we are used to.

The only reason you should not be enjoying this game at launch is because you don't have a Switch yet. :)

The "two best" trailers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4xW9aCg2zY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGQHQc_3ycE

Also these amazing Amiibo:

ouDbvgu.png

Mario Switch comes with a "snapshot mode" to take photos at any time! I expect to see a ton of hilarious stuff from you folks!

PWkk4mx.png

SEE YOU ON OCTOBER 27th BABY! Ya-hoo!

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
HallowedFaith on

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I am stupidly excited for this, but man that "real world", uh, world is still incredibly off putting to me.

Won't stop from from playing the hell out of it though.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    I am stupidly excited for this, but man that "real world", uh, world is still incredibly off putting to me.

Won't stop from from playing the hell out of it though.

I'm honestly glad Nintendo still has the heart to make whacky choices though instead of following the 'trendy' mechanics of most AAA games. It's weird for sure - and I love it for that. XD

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    The Edge review of Super Mario Odyssey made me go look up the list of 20 games that they have given 10/10 at release and it is a pretty respectable list. It is also the fourth Mario game to get a perfect score from the magazine, fifth if you count their retrospective 10/10 for Super Mario Bros. I am hyped.

Also for a console less than a year old to already have two Edge 10s on the system is impressive. Whereas not counting remastered ports, the Playstation 4 only has one(Bloodborne), and the Xbox One has zero.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Switch’s library after Zelda hasn’t been too exciting..... it’s all been a waiting game until Mario. It’s dropping shortly after my birthday too. I’m ready!

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I spent about as much as the game will cost to preview it back in June.

Hype is real.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Holy shit, it is getting close.

I had it pre-ordered ages ago.

• Options
    Two good things this month, Mario and Red Dwarf.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i wonder what mario is

because there are humans in this game and mario doesn't look like them

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    i wonder what mario is

Mario's a human from the Mushroom Kingdom, those other guys are humans from the Metro Kingdom.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    I could be that living in the Mushroom Kingdom changes you.

• Options
    If you pre-order from Best Buy, you get a Super Mario Odyssey Cappy Collectible Coin.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Pre-ordering the digital version on Best Buy gets you a $10 gift card. This is probably the best pre-order bonus for those of us who don't like trinkets.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    EB Games in Canada is giving away a Mario air freshener.

One can only imagine what "italian plumber" smells like.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    EB Games in Canada is giving away a Mario air freshener.

One can only imagine what "italian plumber" smells like.

poop and spaghetti

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    i wonder what mario is

He's part of the parasitic hat life form, which is a colony organism like jellyfish. Or maybe he's a juvenile version of its life cycle.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I like how the release of this game feels like such an event.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I hope DK shows up as a boss in New Donk City.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I hope DK shows up as a boss in New Donk City.

He should be mayor.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Pauline is Mayor

I want a reformed DK as her assistant or something, or maybe just have some statues honoring DK around the city

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I wonder if renaming the city and so many of the streets and such was part of a peace treaty with the King clan of DK Isle.

Or is Pauline just some sort of marketing/political mastermind, capitalizing on her kidnapping to increase revenue through tourism.

"And on your left, you can see where our mayor called for help... on your right is where her hat fell..."

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I take it more that Pauline was tired of the whispers and references to her as "that girl who got kidnapped" and decided to get into politics to change the narrative of her life.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    WARNING: Spoilers are flooding online because review copies are out and someone is flooding the web with screenshots and maps of the game. Please don't leak them here, it's a broken embargo date!

Shields up. :)

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    yeah someone is streaming on youtube currently so uh, watch yourselves.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    WARNING: Spoilers are flooding online because review copies are out and someone is flooding the web with screenshots and maps of the game. Please don't leak them here, it's a broken embargo date!

Nintendo is NOT happy about this and previous leaks. Its is rethinking policies regarding giving YouTubers and streamers in general early access

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Hyped for this game! Gonna hunt down those spoilers now, just shovel 'em all down my gullet.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Nintendo is NOT happy about this and previous leaks. Its is rethinking policies regarding giving YouTubers and streamers in general early access

I'm amazed they provide streamers with early copies. Seems naive.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Cross-post from SE++
    So I played Super Mario Odyssey at Best Buy

Absolutely loved what I played, tried both with detached Joycon and with the Joycon in the grip

Only thing I didn't like was the spin attack, where you basically have to jerk your hands to the left. It felt clumsy and unresponsive. Hopefully that won't be the way you trigger that attack when playing with a Pro

• Options

I'm amazed they provide streamers with early copies. Seems naive.

Yeah, I understand giving advance copies to general Youtube people (who might have their queue slated weeks in advance), but giving it to the people who specialize in playing the game Live seems a bit shortsighted. They're probably both just considered "Youtube Outreach" or something from Nintendo's side.

I always dislike this stuff because now it means I have to be careful of going on YouTube, lest I see a stray thumbnail. I don't really care for Mario so much, but it was a big deal for me for Zelda and Pokemon.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    it's so people who make youtube content can have something to post on the day the embargo lifts, thus further flooding the channel with press about their game. it's not a bad idea in principle. the problem is that a lot of them aren't able to follow the rules i suppose.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2017

I can't say I'm surprised. People at legit outlets won't even acknowledge that they have the game yet, and here you have these Youtube jabronis not necessarily breaking embargo, but it's not a good look for them. And yet I get it, because it's a mercenary business and you need to be THE FIRST with Mario Odyssey footage or else you won't matter, or whatever.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited October 2017

I can't say I'm surprised. People at legit outlets won't even acknowledge that they have the game yet, and here you have these Youtube jabronis not necessarily breaking embargo, but it's not a good look for them. And yet I get it, because it's a mercenary business and you need to be THE FIRST with Mario Odyssey footage or else you won't matter, or whatever.

What a silly reason to burn industry trust.

Two kinds of people in this world, those who eat the marshmallow and those who wait like they were told. ;)

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    I wonder what the overlap is between "People Streaming Mario Odyssey Early" and "People Who Complain About Nintendo Being Overly Restrictive with Online Media Rights".

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    As a hearing impaired gamer, I appreciate the "Liner Notes" lyrics printed on the inside of the Game case. Neat!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options

I'm pretty sure they are absolutely breaking embargo.

Also, cross-posted from the Switch thread:

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I can't wait for this gaaaaame. I'm assuming you can use the pro controller because no way am I going back to wii-motes.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Why you should like the live/cgi commercial
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2msq6H2HI-Y

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Don't know if youtubers are under the same embargo more legit games media people are. It wouldn't be the first time media and YouTube had different rules applied to them.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    If you bought it from a store breaking street date, you're not under an embargo, though Nintendo might still try to take down your video or whatever. In this case I think it's more the fault of the store than the consumer. If Nintendo sent it to you directly you probably had to sign an embargo before that happened.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I wish every store around me wasn't on the up and up