As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

REAL STEEL ROBOPALOOZA: GOD BLESS THE RING

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Suidobashi Heavy Industries' Kuratas
    Kurata is the face of the century

• HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Tiger Electronics' L4R-L4R
    I love how excited they were when a bunch of barrels got knocked over

vEaRQgH.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm curious, what were you guys expecting when you saw "Oh, giant robots are fighting on twitch"?

It pretty much gave me everything I expected. Not what I wanted, but two big slow moving pieces of glorified construction equipment running into each other until one tipped over was pretty much what I expected.

Maybe if this isn't a complete failure then in a decade or so we'll have something closer to Robot Jox or something.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

I want one. Announcing my new kickstarter give me two million dollars to buy a Kuratas ship it here and use it as my new car.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I'm curious, what were you guys expecting when you saw "Oh, giant robots are fighting on twitch"?

It pretty much gave me everything I expected. Not what I wanted, but two big slow moving pieces of glorified construction equipment running into each other until one tipped over was pretty much what I expected.

Maybe if this isn't a complete failure then in a decade or so we'll have something closer to Robot Jox or something.

I was expecting a real duel with two big slow moving pieces of glorified construction equipment running into each other, not a scripted fight.

I want one. Announcing my new kickstarter give me two million dollars to buy a Kuratas ship it here and use it as my new car.

oh I meant the man himself

I want to crack a beer or five open with him

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to figure out what the point of the paintball SMGs was

that looked like the least effective thing ever

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

I was expecting a real duel with two big slow moving pieces of glorified construction equipment running into each other, not a scripted fight.

Yeah I didn't expect Mobil Suit Gundam for real, but I expected a true fight between the two giant robots

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Kurata himself seems cool as fuck, too

just all "hey, it's neat that someone took me building a robot five years ago as a challenge"

He was like "Yeah Kuratas is like a Gundam", and he added multi barrelled guns to the robot before anything. He wasn't suddenly surprised by the idea of having robots fighting.

disabling auxiliary cameras and whatnot

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    i appreciated the drone bit

These guys are waaay overlit in this Q&A

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    MegaBots' Eagle Prime
    Design a robot that is incapable of breaking kayfabe.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i wasn't expecting much, but i'd be down to watch more stuff like this in the future

https://youtu.be/hCJ9sJHunVA

but yeah the korean Method 2 robot i linked earlier looks like it's on a whole different level than everyone else

uc3ufTB.png
    i wasn't expecting much, but i'd be down to watch more stuff like this in the future

https://youtu.be/hCJ9sJHunVA

but yeah the korean Method 2 robot i linked earlier looks like it's on a whole different level than everyone else

They said in the post-match Q&A that they've been challenged by a bunch of groups who either want to build robots like that, or already have robots who can fight.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I watched that video on the Method 2 and the speed with which he could raise the arms was actually alarming. Granted the whole thing is still tethered to hydraulic hoses, I can't imagine a self contained unit having that speed.

But boy does that walking look like it would make you motion sick over a long enough period.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

give it a few more decades until we have our Gundam Fight

Mobile+Fighter+G+Gundam+10.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
    I do think a full bracket, with actual construction guidelines and whatnot, would be hype as fuck and lead to some interesting iterative engineering

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    yes

yes giant mecha pro wrestling is 100% fine

cut promos

BAH GAWD IT'S HIM

HE'S HERE

completely fine

Pony wrote: »
    yes

yes giant mecha pro wrestling is 100% fine

cut promos

BAH GAWD IT'S HIM

HE'S HERE

completely fine

I'm that easy mark who fell for the last fight.

But I realize that it was a literally freaking announcer table slam. If it was any more prowrestling they would have been commenting on how that lighting rig "weighs 3000 pounds!"

edited October 2017
    Full video is up now:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-ouLX8Q9UM

Mortal Sky on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    20:45 for the best/dumbest part

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    Until we perfect the sport of humanoid robot fighting, at least we have this to keep us occupied:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma0pSgKRpeQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrjWjKBHayg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGNSmW7IuZQ

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Scripted or no I love how excited both guys were to be in an actual giant robot fight.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    LB7ew9Rl.jpg

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    That was just as I expected but not what I wanted per se. I am 100% fine with giant robot pro wrestling becoming A Thing though! Give me robots from around the world duking it out.

EDIT: now that I think about it more *as* giant mecha pro wrestling it was pretty fun.

Curly_Brace on
    MegaBots' Eagle Prime
    Robot Wrestling needs their equivalent of Jim Ross.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Well I mean they can't actually mount a pair of GAU-8 Avenger cannons on a bipedal battle robot, it'd kill everything within a 5 mile radius of the "battle"...

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I don't really expect this to take off as a serial thing thing because it's got to be damned expensive to make these stupid things

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    They don't have fancy radars, and the machines are noisy. Paintball is enough make one more or less inoperable.

MegaBots' Eagle Prime
    I don't really expect this to take off as a serial thing thing because it's got to be damned expensive to make these stupid things

Depends on how well they monetize it I think.

Merchandise the hell out of it.

as far as I can tell they have zero purpose outside of robot pro wrestling that the pro wrestling could be advertising for to make them actually make money.

and if they wanted to make a toy commercial they wouldn't have made real, shitty, robots, they would just make a cartoon or something.

BahamutZERO.gif
    as far as I can tell they have zero purpose outside of robot pro wrestling that the pro wrestling could be advertising for to make them actually make money.

and if they wanted to make a toy commercial they wouldn't have made real, shitty, robots, they would just make a cartoon or something.

You're not advertising the robots as something else. You're doing the NASCAR thing. Which was exactly what team Megabots did. They had a bunch of advertisers who partnered with them.

edited October 2017
    nascar is a weird comparison when it's staged, scripted pro wrestling carny shit

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

If Real Steel taught me anything, it's that people love watching robots fight.
    Really, this reminded me of the really early battle bots competitions. Like back in the early to mid 90s or so when most of them were basically off the shelf remote control cars with sheet metal armor, or home built ones with engines salvaged from windshield wipers. Back when Nightmare had to reverse it's disk and Blendo was asked not to compete to protect the audience because nobody thought there'd be any need to protect the audience from shrapnel.

But compare that to the recent competitions and it's an incredible step up in destructive power (as well as cost). Yeah, these things are expensive, but they're also doable. I'd imagine that if they become more often, the support industries for giant fighting robots would be able to step into the new market and lower the cost. Once you no longer have to machine out custom hydraulic manifolds (or whatever) and can get one off the shelf (so to speak), cost would come down substantially.

nascar is a weird comparison when it's staged, scripted pro wrestling carny shit

Have you not seen pro wrestling in a while? Aside from the banners and "brought to you by" events, there's a lot of very clear advertisement spots.
    Aside from that there's plenty of advertising space on the bots.

edited October 2017
    whoops I typoed I meant to write "isn't"
    wait no I misread what I wrote I did mean "is"

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I sort of assumed the point of the paintballs was to shoot at all the super exposed electronics

Also I don't know what to tell y'all if you didn't enjoy the sick drone tech, or Eagle Prime sawing through Kurata's carefully constructed, articulated hand

This fight by all rights should have produced some amazing fanart

dN0T6ur.png