As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dual boot system and partitions: does this setup make sense?

I'm getting my wife a new laptop for Christmas. For reasons best left unexplained (because they don't make all that much sense to me either) she doesn't want a Windows 10-only computer, so I'm thinking of installing both W7 and W10 on it. Under these circumstances, does it make sense to create three partitions, one for W7 and programs, one for W10 and programs, and one for data/documents that can easily be accessed from either OS? Or am I overthinking things and two partitions are perfectly fine, as long as both OSes point to the same libraries?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
"Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I mean, it'll work, I guess.

TBH it'd be better just to pick one or the other. If someone hates windows 10 because it's filled with advertisements, garbage, spying shit.. you know, fair enough, just use windows 7.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    How future-proof is Windows 7, though? That's the thing I'm most worried about: setting up a nice W7 installation and then realising, less than a year down the road, that its individual parts stop functioning one by one.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    The driver subsystem on both is roughly equivalent. Things that don't work well: newer intel CPUs, software that needs windows 10 (directX 12+).

If you don't need both of those things, windows 7 should work fine for the next 5+ years.

Microsoft is ending their extended support in the first quarter of 2020 if that matters to you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Cool, thanks, that does help.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    actually, a word of warning, if the new laptop is running a kaby lake or newer intel processor (so 7xxx or higher) Windows 7 actually isn't supported on it. There are no windows updates for it after April 2017.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    psh beat you too it wunderbar

• Options
    I didn't know that! Guess I'm lucky - it's a 6xxx processor.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg