As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Cooking thread] what is the internet but an enormous recipe book?

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Today I boiled a hotdog.

That's... that's about it.

See the thing I like about boiling hotdogs is it's really hard to burn them.

I mean sure sometimes they explode but they're still perfectly edible.

RT800 on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    So ramen happened last night
    22492034_10105084966742888_2544680727921042160_n.jpg?oh=62f98ab5542f522f8c76023a268d729c&oe=5A84FB87

There are definitely things I would change. Less garlic, dry mushrooms instead of wet, maybe add some carrots, low sodium soy sauce, but the broth was delicious and the noodles were great and the chicken was perfect.

....Less garlic?.... I don't understand.....

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My stock is on the stove going now.

It smells really good. I got an onion in there and three cloves of garlic and the chicken carcass and some poultry seasoning and salt and pepper. ( and onion skin, thanks @lonelyahava )

Gonna let it simmer for a few hours.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    you won't be disappointed

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    chicken soup stock simmering away full of aromatic vegetables is one of the best cooking smells

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I have an aging relative who is a super enthusiastic chef. Like, former professional chef. She has lost a significant amount of eyesight to the point where she is no longer capable of reading, but can still perform most tasks. I have identified a large number of gadgets that can read recipes to you off the internet, like the Amazon Alexa, Google Pro, most e-readers, etc. However, she is frustrated because almost all of her recipes are customized and so standard online recipes are not her preferred solution.

I have considered whether there are any e-readers that can go back and forth on custom text, and whether I could just pay a transcription service to transcriber her recipes. Does anyone have any suggestions I might be missing?

What is this I don't even.
    Could you just enter the modifications?

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I have an aging relative who is a super enthusiastic chef. Like, former professional chef. She has lost a significant amount of eyesight to the point where she is no longer capable of reading, but can still perform most tasks. I have identified a large number of gadgets that can read recipes to you off the internet, like the Amazon Alexa, Google Pro, most e-readers, etc. However, she is frustrated because almost all of her recipes are customized and so standard online recipes are not her preferred solution.

I have considered whether there are any e-readers that can go back and forth on custom text, and whether I could just pay a transcription service to transcriber her recipes. Does anyone have any suggestions I might be missing?

Maybe a talking scale so she can weigh ingredient amounts? As for custom text... some programs can 'read' pdf's, even with cursive. Depending on how bad her penmanship is, its likely a cheaper thing than transcription services if you could just scan the hand writen recipes into a pdf and have it read them to her.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'd need to find hundreds of similar recipes to start with then modify them. Her recipe book is not modified online recipes, it's her cookbook from running a restaurant.

What is this I don't even.
  • cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

uhh well if you don't figure anything else out I really need some spare cash and I'd be happy to transcribe scans into type for a couple bucks cash per hour!

you might be able to find a reading program that can do scans? not entirely sure. I know most voice to text programs need type, but I'm not vision impaired so I don't know if all of them do

Almost 3 hours later and this stock is finally starting to taste less just watery. I think I started with a bit too much water. Also my mom didn't throw in all the bones and left out one wing and one thigh. But it's coming together.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    22519328_10156163071393676_6819345950979072500_n.jpg?oh=5aaf37941deb860a69b1060d3f85abe5&oe=5A6C0DB0

So this came out really good actually.

I was worried a bit too much about the time and it came out reading like 175 on my thermometer but it was really tasty, especially with the sauce which was good and buttery and MMmmm.

Next time though a little less salt, the skin is just too salty for me sadly.

There ya go! Nicely done!

And now you know where you need to tweak things to get it to where you want it.

Good job, man.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    so lamb shanks were on special so i decided to knock together a sauce for it and I think i might have fucked up a bit because i tried to counteract the (quite old) red wine that we'd had sitting on our kitchen bench for a bit with some sugar and I think i've made it quite a bit too sweet

we'll see how it goes

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Lala do you have the Sweet cookbook? Have you used it ever? I'm maybe notoriously finnicky about desserts, but Ottolenghi's cookbooks are always so good...

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    Lala do you have the Sweet cookbook? Have you used it ever? I'm maybe notoriously finnicky about desserts, but Ottolenghi's cookbooks are always so good...

not yet

i'm not hugely into making sweets either, but I feel like I should pick it up for completion sake, especially since I adore his carrot cake recipe

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Welp I guess I know I really feel like I live here, now, because the first thing in my head was this:

GR56Lj2.jpg

And then I had to go, "Noooo, brain, the other one."

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    One of my favorite cooking youtube channels did an episode all about proper chopping and sauces:
    https://youtu.be/Upqp21Dm5vg

I really can't wait until I have a bigger kitchen with actual work space

ok so it's been 2 hours and the sauce actually tastes pretty good

it's still a bit sweet, but I think it's generally going pretty well

just gotta wait for the lamb shanks to start falling apart

ok, so i only cooked them for 3.5 hours, but the lamb shanks came out quite nice. Sauce was still a bit sweet, but I offset it with some beer. Although I did that by drinking the beer. I'd already added so many different things to the sauce itself that I didn't want to bother with anything else.

now I've got an extra shank for tomorrow

edited October 2017
    I made home fries with onion, chipped beef gravy, and fried eggs for breakfast

So good

Xaquin on
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    hey chicken stock thread, guess what I'm making this afternoon?

Roasted the chicken last night, and then the bones for about an hour, set them aside in the fridge with the nicely browned onions from the bottom of the roasting pan and the garlic and thyme from inside the bird. I'm going home at noon today so I'll have all afternoon to simmer them along with some extra vegetables & such

so excited!

My chicken stock came out tasting fine but it's very cloudy.

I had it on really low but low on my stove is still kinda warm so I think it was too hot and the fat got emulsified into the stock.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    This is a dumb question but bear with me as I just started making a point to really start cooking and trying out different recipes.

How do you all deal with having to buy a bunch of ingredients for just one recipe?

Sometimes I want to try a recipe but then think "Am I ever going to use half these things again?"

Though it kinda those feel nice to start having a pantry full of random things.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If it's perishable, I try to think of a recipe that uses the rest of it.

If it's a non perishable, or something with a long shelf life, I just eventually use it up?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

I had it on really low but low on my stove is still kinda warm so I think it was too hot and the fat got emulsified into the stock.

that's fine!

all stock looks a bit cloudy

it's a flavor cloud

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

Have you tried the egg white method to clarify?

1. Strain stock through fine mesh then cheesecloth to trap most big particles
    2. Separate and egg white (discard yolk) and whisk the white with a bit of cold water,
    3. Dump the egg white mix into the still hot stock and give a quick sir
    4. Strain again after the egg white has cooked and hopefully trapped what particles you had remaining

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    This is a dumb question but bear with me as I just started making a point to really start cooking and trying out different recipes.

How do you all deal with having to buy a bunch of ingredients for just one recipe?

Sometimes I want to try a recipe but then think "Am I ever going to use half these things again?"

It's all about planning too.

"Alright, this recipe needs a bit of X. So, what else can I make with the leftover X?"

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Leftover planning can be fun. Oatmeal with edible gold for breakfast!

But yeah, there are few things that can't be used elsewhere. That's not to say that you won't run into very specific ingredients that won't last long, but in that case it's a matter of deciding whether the meal is worth the money.

It can be a fun exercise to figure out what will work without your weird ingredient, and might lead to you eating/cooking things you wouldn't otherwise have tried.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

For most excess fresh stuff, be it meat, veg, or herbs, a fritatta is often the answer. Eggs, cream/milk is nice but not required, cheese is a bonus, and whatever other "stuff" you have. Mix it, bake it. Boom. Quick, healthy dinner that uses up your leftovers. I'm honestly struggling to come up with many fresh things this does not work for, except like, fruit. And fruit you just eat.
    And while you could get fussy with it, you really really don't have to. I just wack it in a 300ish oven and poke it occasionally to see if it's about cooked through.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I use egg scrambles a lot when i need to get rid of random perishable ingrdients. Most meat and veggies go great in a scramble.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Eggs are a great delivery vehicle for leftover chunks of food.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just last night i made up a scramble containing leftover brisket from my bbq this weekend. I threw in some bell peppers, broccoli and sugar snap peas and it was downright tasty.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    you can do basically the same thing with potatoes to make hash

hash is one of my favorite leftover delivery mediums

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    A hash with poached egg on top is even better!

edited October 2017

it's always cloudy when I make chicken stock as well, I think they just filter out the cloudy material when they can or box stock to sell in a store.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    This is a timely discussion! I purchased ingredients this past week to make a chicken soup tonight. I was led to this very interesting article on different methods of making chicken broth, with picture results! Think some of you may find this useful.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/best-rich-easy-white-chicken-stock-recipe.html

NightDragon on
    you're supposed to skim off the fat that pools on the surface? huh I just mix it into the soup, doesn't hurt the taste at all

BahamutZERO.gif
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    you can either skim the fat off

Or I sometimes let the stock cool, or even fridge it and then pull the congealed fat off.

most of the time I just stop caring about it.

it's always cloudy when I make chicken stock as well, I think they just filter out the cloudy material when they can or box stock to sell in a store.

What you're looking for to make very clear broth is a recipe for consommé.

Regular straining will also help with clarity, though.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    My recipe for clear broth is 3 cups of water and

This discussion has been closed.