As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DZC] Dropzone Commander 1.1 - Dropfleet Commander is Out!

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Well I mean I got 1 Shaltari Cruiser Sprue from the Kickstarter and was wondering if I should bother building it to try to do Skirmish stuff with the 4 frigates I have as well without doing landing stuff or make a Mothership for small scale skirmish games to get used to their tactics.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    We could also look into exchanging cruiser sprues if you wanted more for your own faction. I'm 100% on UCM, so the other 3 are mostly options for extra sales if I ever find the time/commitment to paint them to sell. <_< So since that's probably never happening they could have a good home if you were looking. :p

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Well I mean I plan to use most of them. I honestly don't know what faction I'd prefer, and my brother has shown interest in the UCM and possibly the PHR (and even if he hadn't I sort of like both as well)

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I'd say the mothership is the safest option just because you're going to want more drop anyway if you want to expand beyond the starter

I'd need to get the Shaltari starter to make real use of it though right? I mean as is I'd have the Mothership, 4 frigates and a single Void Gate.

Oh, yeah you would. Sorry I misread earlier and thought you had it already.

One of the big problems for building Shaltari right now is that you get one voidgate per cruiser sprue and playing at higher points levels you'd want 12-14 of them

Hmm, how viable are they for mid-tier play though? I don't that I'm interested in going Shaltari right away regardless since they seem like the most complicated faction. I think I should probably go with the Mothership regardless because with one I can try and play super low level games with the Shaltari just to see how they play.

I'm trying to decide how I should build my final two Scourge Frigates. I decided on a Hydra for my extra cruiser, but I don't know if I should grab another two Harpies so I have four, or grab two Djinn so I can have two of each as well as the Gargoyles.

When in doubt, more strike carriers.

as for Shaltari after the last round of nerfs they seem...okay. I haven't played against or with them as much, but I do know that they tend to throw people for a loop because their mechanics are so different from everybody else.

So I could go two Djinn, two more Harpies, or one more Harpy and one more Gargoyle.

• MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
    They're the manufacturing wing of Troll Trader apparently

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Effecticly theyvtake over the logistics of production. And running a business and distribution and the guy who dies the rules and model designs gets to concentrate on just that.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

Turns out I actually had four extra frigates I could make. I'm thinking about what I should make for my small PHR detachment of 1 cruiser and 4 frigates. At least 2 frigates should be strike carriers at least but should I just go with the standard frigate loadout (2 "Regular" frigates 2 strike carriers)? If I do I still don't know what single cruiser would work best on its own.

Dunno if anybody else is still paying attention to this thread, but DFC and DZC’s new owners (TTcombat) have finally added DFC/DZC stock up on their website, and included a lot of the con and Kickstarter exclusives for a limited time. They are doing a promo of spending £100 and getting free shipping.

edited January 2018
    Yeah, this was definitely worth posting. I was looking earlier today because I thought it would be fun to buy the rest of the models I might want for a display fleet, and then I looked at the conversion rate for GBP to CDN and my heart sunk a bit. It'd be, like $190 after conversion and I'd quite probably get hit on import duties when they arrived. :(

In case anyone is interested though, direct link: https://ttcombat.com/collections/dropfleet-commander

ArcticLancer on
    If it helps, sounds like the distributor issue is mostly resolved so you should see it available in shops again soon

*blows off the dust*
    It's really a shame that the general handling of the kick starter and company transfer has seemed to relegate these to second class games. Not that I'm even playing them, but I feel like the quality of the miniatures alone should keep more people mildly interested.

Not going to post links from my phone, but destroyers were released earlier this summer and dreadnoughts are bound for shipment end of the month. I'm general all of these releases seem stellar, and I'll probably pick some up because the UCM aesthetic is my personal kryptonite. :P

Anyone else still kicking around?

• SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Not really. Had a decent player base for dzc, fizzled out, and the new edition hasn't managed to bring anybody back. Dfc screwed a bunch of people over and left a bad taste in our mouths...won't play that.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
    I’m still around, playing both. They’re finally doing the map credits which is going towards some of the Destroyers and a couple of the Condor resculpts for me.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Svenska wrote: »
    Not really. Had a decent player base for dzc, fizzled out, and the new edition hasn't managed to bring anybody back. Dfc screwed a bunch of people over and left a bad taste in our mouths...won't play that.

Don't suppose you might be willing to provide some details?
    I remember thinking this was a pretty cool looking game with awesome spaceship/tank minis, but never actually putting any attention past that.

Mostly had to do with late delivery, with some items going to retail before backers received their pledges.

• SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    It was just a case of Hawk getting over it's head. It was just a bit too much for us as a group, especially when other games were vying for our attention.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
    My friend has picked up a bunch of DFC stuff for PHR and as soon as he's got it put together we're going to play a bit and I'll probably pick up some more stuff after that point.

If it helps, the new owners are doing what they can to make it right and Dave's been banished to a design room where he just churns out new model designs for them to manufacture.

Yeah, it really seems like they've gotten things into a decent place for letting the game grow. It'd be nice if they did a proper 2.0 release at some point to try and re-launch Dropfleet. I might be picking this shit up as a retirement painting project, but it'd be welcome to see other people playing the game and let me give it a shot for once.

Unrelated, I'm still sitting on a bunch of kickstarter stuff, and would totally trade someone a Shaltari or Scourge starter fleet for a UCM one (I've already built most of the PHR one and painted half the cruisers, sorry :( ).

Got my credit and spent it. 2x Destroyers and 1x Dreadnought preorder. The exchange to CDN is still not great. That was $180 after shipping ... Ooof ... But honestly I love the look of the destroyers so much I can't not. I don't find the dreadnoughts nearly as exciting, but it makes sense to have as a fleet centerpiece.

I’m holding off on the Dreads until I see how they do with other people, so far it’s a lot of “oh shiny new toy!”

I’m not sure if they were going to do the map credit for the Radar maps that was initially mentioned in a kickstarter update, I haven’t seen a credit yet

Nobody wrote: »
    I’m holding off on the Dreads until I see how they do with other people, so far it’s a lot of “oh shiny new toy!”

I’m not sure if they were going to do the map credit for the Radar maps that was initially mentioned in a kickstarter update, I haven’t seen a credit yet
    Yeah, this is all aesthetics for me. The actual performance of the dreadnoughts is not my primary concern.
    If you were a high rank backer, you absolutely qualify for the map pack. I also hadn't seen the email, but they had a post on facebook saying if you hadn't received anything today to send them a message or email. Sent them a facebook message this morning and had a code emailed within 5 minutes. Would followup with them if there's definitely nothing in your junk mail.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Never interested DFC but DZC was a stellar game and well balanced as long as you played to scenarios.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

I know, I know, thread is basically dead, but whatever, there is news.
    Two new fleets for Dropfleet Commander. They're pretty hit or miss based on community reaction, but a bit of variety certainly won't hurt the game any more than it already is.
    https://youtu.be/muSXLmbuc7A

There's also some stuff in the pipe for Dropzone Commander, but all that's been shown of that is the PHR Behemoth (which, frankly, looks pretty darn spiffy even if I do tend to hate miniatures trying not to be miniature :P ).
    https://youtu.be/gwTqXNZlEn0

They did show off the cannon for the Resistance Behemoth, current scuttlebutt is that it's some kind of repurposed crawler/land train that'll be armed with a railway gun.

Somebody who's at Salute and posting in the Discord:
    Resistance behemoth use to be a big transport used to plow through trees and stuff as it was sort of a frontier vehicle that had a massive anti ship gun strapped on it
    Also due to the many companies around before the scourge invasion ships used to have a modular design and so the resistance have managed to scavenge parts from the various companies to recreate/ repair ships
    Which is why they can swap between designs in the game

Mmm, now I sort of wish I hadn't picked up another box to build more Scourge/UCM, though depending on when the new fleets come out I should hopefully have more money to spare by that time.

So speaking of, since I never actually put together my original kickstarter UCM, ships (still waiting on my brother to decide how he wants to build his half) what are good starting UCM ship choices?

I’d build the starter (Moscow, Seattle, Berlin, 2 Toulon, 2 New Orleans)

What sprues do you have left at that point?

3 cruisers and 4 frigates is what it's supposed to be for the UCM, not sure what else you can build with what's left but I'll go with that as a base.

3 cruisers and 4 frigates is what it's supposed to be for the UCM, not sure what else you can build with what's left but I'll go with that as a base.

Gotcha, wasn't sure if you had gotten any of the bonus sprues (one each of cruiser and frigate).

*dusts off thread*

Battle For Earth (combined book with new stuff for DFC and the DZC 2.0 rules) now has an official release date of June 14th

https://community.ttcombat.com/2019/05/21/battle-for-earth-is-here/

edited June 2019
    So, have another full set of 2 player starter pack sprues for both Scourge and UCM, and an Avalon Battlecruiser. I'll have to remember what Scourge ships I've already made, and I will do the standard spread for my first set of UCM stuff, but I don't know what to do with the rest of it.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    So right now I have the basic three (Moscow, Seattle, Berlin) and two Toulon and two New Orleans. I'd say the Moscow sort of pushes me towards a gun build by default but I'm also planning on making my Battlecruiser an Avalon because I mean come on that laser. I'm not super obsessed with meta, but right now I'm looking at another 4 Cruisers, the Battlecruiser, and 8 more Frigates.