As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] 1+1=Cyriss is calculating... calculating... seven! And you're dead.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Is there any easy way to find all the themes laid out?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Well, they just updated all the themes and released a bunch of new ones for every faction, and it's all in a PDF:

http://files.privateerpress.com/op/errata/Theme Forces Sept2017v2.pdf

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    Boy... the idea of theme strength being the element that determines a faction's competitiveness really makes it hard to regret spending time away from the game.

The game is meant to be played exclusively in theme, pretty much, at this point. I didn't play during MK2 but apparently that's how it was then too.

I think they weren't really fully committed to that idea when they started developing the early themes, and some of them are more conservative. They're going to have to do a bit of tinkering, but they've already made some promising changes in this most recent update.

Cryx's Ghost Fleet is still a bit much but I'm confident that will be addressed (and might already have been, not by nerfing but by giving it a boogie man in the form of Skorne's Masters of War theme. It gives every warrior attacks that remove from play, which solidly counters the model recursion in Ghost Fleet.)

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I'm strongly considering a Siege1/Grave Diggers theme for that match-up. Scalpel out the leaders with Explosivoed Grenadiers for RFP, or just clear fire lanes for Express Teams to do the job.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    First time playing warmachine.

It's a lot of fun. Can't wait to play more! Not time to paint this rattler...

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

Well, they just updated all the themes and released a bunch of new ones for every faction, and it's all in a PDF:

http://files.privateerpress.com/op/errata/Theme Forces Sept2017v2.pdf

I'm still kind of grumpy over PP's whole....thing that I've complained about but hey! Legion got a new theme!..........and it's blighted Ogrun and Hellmouth focused! And!....it buffs...warmongers???

Who cares, free hellmouths and an extra 2" of deployment!

........now if only I had a bit of extra cash to buy two hellmouths and another unit of warspears +UA and also typhon

• Options
    They also got access to Hellmouths in Ravens, which is weird but pretty good

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Man, I forgot that NQ Prime was going to start coming with minis. Was a bit of a surprise.

The new format seems definitely interesting.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    A while back I thought I had seen a flowchart for Dawnguard Destors, was that a fever dream, or has someone else seen it? Because now I can't find it anywhere.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Got the Ret Battlegroup Box from my wife for my birthday!

• Options
    WTC statement on the Team Norway issue.

TLDR: 3rd party wanted a head judge ruling on a ruling that both teams were happy with. Head Judge agrees that it was ruled correctly, but because in the judge's eyes Team Norway left the event while the game was still active (apparently involving the head judge meant the game wasn't really over), Team Norway is hit with a forfeit.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I dunno how to say "go fuck yourself" to that head judge any harder than just "go fuck yourself."

So, go fuck yourself, buddy! You don't get to hold up expensive travel plans for a ruling no one wanted.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So, the judge for the game made a decision vis a vis the rules, both parties involved in the actual match agreed to the ruling, but someone who wasn't involved in the match thought the ruling was wrong and so called in a higher judge... and they confirmed the ruling, but because one participant/team had already left because the actual people in question (judge and both involved participants) agreed that the match was over, they had their win reversed retroactively because some uninvolved party called for a higher judges ruling? Am I getting that right? I'm not really finding much commentary on this anywhere.

Also did the Team Norway person/persons know that leaving would possibly force them to forfeit?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Team Norway says no, WTC says they did.

Edit: Team Norway stated they didn't even know there was a challenge while WTC said they did.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Is the Northkin CID still ongoing?

• Options

It's been over for a while now. They're doing a Blindwater one currently. Probably will see the update get pushed live next month when all the new Northkin stuff comes out.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

It's been over for a while now. They're doing a Blindwater one currently. Probably will see the update get pushed live next month when all the new Northkin stuff comes out.

Cool, my friend is looking to get into trolls, and really likes the northkin stuff

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I don't feel like registering on the CID forums, but I've heard rumblings about changes to spin growth and counterblast?

• Options
    Spiny Growth and Counterblast are getting changes tested to only cost 1 fury, if memory serves.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Counterblast should absolutely be 1 fury, but Spiny Growth is too good at 1 IMO. If it were only the ARM buff, sure, but the damage to attackers is a big deal

• Options
    Bull Snapper: After reading a lot of discussion on the Bull Snapper, Barnabas, and many other casters we feel that the animus Spiny Growth is not living up to its hoped for effect. Reducing the cost to 1 should help all of the warbeasts that have this animus cast it more consistently and help a great deal of Warlocks feel less penalized for casting it themselves. Please note this will effect several other models in the game.

From the notes on the CID update.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    So I finally tried Skarre1 and she's... wow, she's a real faceroller.

Just camp focus, cast dark guidance, and make decisions about how far up to move and when to feat, and that's about it. I did Sac Strike a Bane Rider to kill a contesting troll whelp and win, but that's really it aside from those things.

She's really gross with a pair of Wraith Engines.

• Options
    I seem to remember hearing something recently that you can't make power attacks vs friendly models anymore. Is this correct?

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I seem to remember hearing something recently that you can't make power attacks vs friendly models anymore. Is this correct?

Yes it is. No throwing your own models anymore, but that change is nearly a year old :). Same with charging your own models - was changed with the switch to MK III.

• Options
    Yeah, my friend who picked up the Trolls box saw something about using Long Riders to repeatedly slam each other into a caster, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining things when I told him that doesn't work anymore.

• Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    I keep seeing people referencing the European Meta being ahead of us. Doesn't that just mean they have a different meta?

• Options
    I keep seeing people referencing the European Meta being ahead of us. Doesn't that just mean they have a different meta?

Results from a single tournament are always tough to base an argument on but the overall poor showing of the three US teams at the WTC would suggest they're ahead.

• Options
    That Dracodile model is nice, not sure how I feel about how they're going to sell them though. I guess it makes sense from a production standpoint.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Fuck. I want one of those.

Edit: I know what I want for early Christmas.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    Does this mean that the Dracodile will not be available at my FLGS?

That seems like a bad thing. I don't mind alternative sculpts etc being exclusive to their website but stuff like the Dracodile will probably be really popular, so why should people not be able to pick it up where they usually shop?

Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
  • Options
    Mago wrote: »
    Does this mean that the Dracodile will not be available at my FLGS?

That seems like a bad thing. I don't mind alternative sculpts etc being exclusive to their website but stuff like the Dracodile will probably be really popular, so why should people not be able to pick it up where they usually shop?

My guess is that sales of the second wave of colossals/gargantuans nosedived compared to the first wave, and this is them pulling back and recovering from that. The Dracodile will likely have better sales than most of the second wave, but still worse than the first.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    My read on the situation was that they realized that the Black Anchor models were going to be highly complicated ones to produce, and that they'd only be able to produce so many of them without rushing them out and have QC drop. (Which we've seen happen with some of the early resin colossal/gargs/BE's, or more recently with the legs on Old Witch2/3.) So they'd rather sell them direct and make sure people could get the ones they're able to produce without having units of them languishing in the retail space. There's not really a good answer for it.

So the Dracodile is the test bed for it, since it's got limited appeal anyway due to being a Minion garg. I assume that they'll keep pre-orders open for past the holiday season, the limited numbers is just for what they could guarantee they could get out in time for Christmas. The Hooch Hauler will be the interesting one to watch to see how they handle it, since people seem excited about BEER KART.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I like the tee shirt, any chance they'll be selling that without the gargantuan dino croc?
    It's just the right style of could-be-geeky, might-not-be-geeky.

• Options
    Company of Iron. I can't seem to find information about how it will work with all of the other factions. Like, do you need the game box and specific rules to put together say a Cryx force for the game? Is it just 20/25 points of units and solos?

The game and concept seems interesting, but I'm not sure I want to drop the cash for the box and then play with the models I already have...

• Options
    Mago wrote: »
    Company of Iron. I can't seem to find information about how it will work with all of the other factions. Like, do you need the game box and specific rules to put together say a Cryx force for the game? Is it just 20/25 points of units and solos?

The game and concept seems interesting, but I'm not sure I want to drop the cash for the box and then play with the models I already have...

Can't really do much research because work filter, but found this bit on BGG.

"Company of Iron is a squad-based skirmish game that reinvents WARMACHINE and HORDES battles as smaller confrontations between fewer warriors and their character leaders. Average games are played with 10–15 miniatures, and Company of Iron is compatible with the majority of the existing miniatures in the WARMACHINE and HORDES product lines. The rules for Company of Iron have been streamlined and do not include warcasters or warlocks but can include light warjacks and light warbeasts."

• Options
    Cool, I had missed the part about lights.

• Options
    Yeah, I’ve heard it said you make basically a 20-point army without large or huge bases, and no warcasters or warlocks. Light warjacks can be jack marshaled, not sure how warbeasts run. There’s supposedly going to be a PDF with the rules up soon.

Activation mechanic invokes taking alternating actions with individual models, members of a unit act more like solos when activating. There’s also supposed to be a hand of cards you get with access to special one-off effects.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Does anyone know why the Troll box has three lights instead of two and a heavy?