As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SysAdmin] More like unItanium.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You need line of sight to do it usually, which, in most cases, means you need a tall tower at each location. You can probably get authorization to build a radio tower if your property is large enough because of laws around HAM radio stuff?

Just a matter of if both towers at both locations will still have LOS with each other.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Aioua wrote: »
    by why 'recipient'

that's the part that confuses me

it seems like a really weird thing to pick for like, the class of objects that can send mail

But the thing sending the mail with a SendAs is not "Shared box", it's the Trustee. The SendAs mailing process has zero interaction with the "Shared box" object. I suppose they chose Recipient because the target of the command is an email address which is typically acts as a recipient. Thus it may just be an artifact of them generalizing that function.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Aioua wrote: »
    by why 'recipient'

that's the part that confuses me

it seems like a really weird thing to pick for like, the class of objects that can send mail

But the thing sending the mail with a SendAs is not "Shared box", it's the Trustee. The SendAs mailing process has zero interaction with the "Shared box" object. I suppose they chose Recipient because the target of the command is an email address which is typically acts as a recipient. Thus it may just be an artifact of them generalizing that function.

yeah iono, it's weird

I'm trying to glean MS's categorization of objects here

"Recipient" appears to just be one higher class of object above mailbox (and 'recipient' was arbitrarily chosen over like, 'sender' or 'exchange object' or whatever else)

I'm thinking it might even be more that the SendAs permisson is handled differently from the other perms

like looking at older documentation you'd add the SendAs permission through AD, so it seems like this kinda thing that's always been wonky and separate

so the group writing the powershell couldn't just add it into add-mailboxpermission because the set of permissions it was accessing doesn't even include the SendAs perms

so they wrote a new one and made it general, I guess in case other permissions were added in the future that followed a similar structure as the SendAs permissions

I guess it makes more since if you're not figuring this stuff out just by guessing. I read 'recipient' and went literal... 'the thing that receives the mail', where if you're familiar with the exchange structure and terminology you're going to see 'recipient' and think 'a mailbox/group/contact/etc'.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I like learning new things!

Exchange is confusing is not new, but you know

new specific ways in which it is confusing

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

Holy shit, they're handing out hard copies for free??

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I think it's a printable PDF(?)

• Options

It is, but they're also mailing out hard copies for free. I just ordered one for zero dollars.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

It is, but they're also mailing out hard copies for free. I just ordered one for zero dollars.

Looks like the first 4000 requests or something get a free printed copy in exchange for being enrolled in their marketing list.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Looks like the first 4000 requests or something get a free printed copy in exchange for being enrolled in their marketing list.

Yeah. I have a burner email address for stuff like this.

• Options

Yeah. I have a burner email address for stuff like this.

Oh yeah. But with your name and address they'll also be able to buy your marketing info packet from one of those vendors, and then they'll have a dossier to more directly target you. Might be able to pull some work numbers and stuff from it.

That said, I still grabbed one.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    They already bought that info for a cut rate thanks to the Equifax hack. So really, you're at a net-zero.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Sales Engineer, how do you scope a server project and not address antivirus or backups? Those are like... the two fucking things you can't leave off!

• Options

I expected this to be one of those Free Things™ where the Thing™ cost zero dollars and the shipping cost the price of one (1) Thing™. I filled out the info and hit next expecting the shipping options page and they were all "Okay, your pack is on it's way!" and I was all

...... wat?

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

I expected this to be one of those Free Things™ where the Thing™ cost zero dollars and the shipping cost the price of one (1) Thing™. I filled out the info and hit next expecting the shipping options page and they were all "Okay, your pack is on it's way!" and I was all

...... wat?
    It's actually Marketing™.

• Options
    I figure they distributed the website in a way where it'd almost certainly hit sysadmins and their social networks first. Since they're only giving out 4k of the things, it's not the most expensive way to get confirmed marketing data voluntarily given by a bunch of sysadmins.

• Options
    I dislike throwing antivirus on servers because it cuts the performance of the server in half almost instantly.

I still to this day have not found an antivirus I like. Most of my servers are unprotected, but I police the domain with an iron fist so people are unlikely to spread viruses here.

Our last virus outbreak was 8 years ago I think, that is monumentally amazing if you think about it, since the only AV we have is MSE/Defender on the computers.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I dislike throwing antivirus on servers because it cuts the performance of the server in half almost instantly.

I still to this day have not found an antivirus I like. Most of my servers are unprotected, but I police the domain with an iron fist so people are unlikely to spread viruses here.

Our last virus outbreak was 8 years ago I think, that is monumentally amazing if you think about it, since the only AV we have is MSE/Defender on the computers.

I know I don't run antivirus on most of my servers.

*giggle*

*snicker*

• Options
    Someone just link to the last time we had this fight please.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular

*giggle*

*snicker*

No AV, public-facing, firewall off, unpatched Windows, running critical systems.

Come at me.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

*giggle*

*snicker*

No AV, public-facing, firewall off, unpatched Windows, running critical systems.

Come at me.

I'm coming nowhere near that honeypot!

Thawmus on
  • Options

If we did that, this thread would turn into an ouroboros of redundancy and in-jokes and page 100 would just link to page 1 and I could finally stop posting here.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

*giggle*

*snicker*

Come at me.

I'm coming nowhere near that honeypot!

Oh but how it entices you.

Come. Take a little peek.

• Options

If we did that, this thread would turn into an ouroboros of redundancy and in-jokes and page 100 would just link to page 1 and I could finally stop posting here.

Well, but at one point the thread would link to the install guide and then you'd have to come post here instead of reading it.

• Options

Well, but at one point the thread would link to the install guide and then you'd have to come post here instead of reading it.

Guarantee that means I would specifically NOT come here.

• Options

Cog, I don't know how to tell you this.

No, actually I do.

This thread? It's the Install Guide. It was the Install Guide all along.

Also you were a deer all along! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

This is you:
    stock-vector-deer-nerdy-hipster-boy-furry-art-illustration-fashion-animals-hipster-animals-404474806.jpg

THIS WAS YOU ALL ALONG!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular

No, actually I do.

This is you:
    stock-vector-deer-nerdy-hipster-boy-furry-art-illustration-fashion-animals-hipster-animals-404474806.jpg

Fun fact. It's been a long week.

And as such this is the most hilarious post I have ever seen.

I'll blame sleep deprivation.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    recommend me an antivirus that doesn't kill performance but also lists its price and I can order it and not pay a fortune and also not have to talk to sales people at any point during this process

• Options
    recommend me an antivirus that doesn't kill performance but also lists its price and I can order it and not pay a fortune and also not have to talk to sales people at any point during this process

Windows Defender

• Options
    edited October 2017

Trendmicro?

This joke brought to you by Peprige Farms, Werther's originals and install guides.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »

No, actually I do.

This is you:

Fun fact. It's been a long week.

And as such this is the most hilarious post I have ever seen.

I'll blame sleep deprivation.

Oh man, it is embarrassingly unfunny. It's so stupid it's criminal.

Cog's reaction is the punchline. It's the punchline before he even reacts.

• Options
    is there a joke about trendmicro I'm not aware of

• Options
    is there a joke about trendmicro I'm not aware of

It is very poor antivirus.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    This company was running on an unpatched 2003 server that had no AV and no backups. EDIT: Oh, and all their critical company data was on an external USB drive.

I mean, I like living dangerously, but god damn people.

Cog on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    There was an incident a long time ago. It's why there's a joke about it in the thread op.

I am the king of call back jokes.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I was just asked what it would take for us to move to ipv6.

It's a desk whiskey kind of Friday!

EDIT: to be fair, it was an honest question where the guy was just curious about it. But it made my gut lurch while I was in my chair.

When we go to IPv6, I'm hopefully not here anymore.

Thawmus on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Antiviruses I like: ESET, Webroot.

The secret to putting antivirus on a server is to turn off real-time monitoring and set it to scheduled scans only.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Trendmicro?

This joke brought to you by Peprige Farms, Werther's originals and install guides Kaseya, ConnectWise, and Office 365, aka "The Shitty MSP Starter Pack"

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

Trendmicro?

This joke brought to you by Peprige Farms, Werther's originals and install guides Kaseya, ConnectWise, and Office 365, aka "The Shitty MSP Starter Pack"

Hey...

• Options
    oh are they still trying to make IPv6 a thing?

The colon thing was weird too, why didn't you just like.. keep the dot mechanic.. everyone is used to it already.

Also why are we throwing hexadecimal into this? Just use decimal still.

I understand it was kind of a "LETS FIX ALL THE PROBLEMS EVER" but.. baby steps.

This discussion has been closed.