As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cooking: Welcome Back to the Good Food Thread.

1939495969799»

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I'm thinking of diving into the deep end. I might try to make some ramen this weekend.

I have chicken stock, I have sheepheads mushrooms, I have some skin on chicken. I just need some good noodles.

Any tips for a first timer?

Buy some from whichever flavour of Asian grocery store you have closest to you?

So....drive about two hours?

Probs easier than trying to make decent noodles from scratch for the first time by yourself, yeah.

I'm not sure where you live, but asian grocery stores are really common. They usually are small hole in the wall places. i bet if you did a search you would find something much closer that you never knew was there.

Ha ha no. I live in Indiana. It's corn fields everywhere here. For an Asian grocery store I need to go to either Chicago or the suburbs.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I did however find rice noodles at the grocery store. I also got some pickled ginger because minced is crazy expensive

Bucketman on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    I have acquired a whole chicken.

The trick will be roasting it without duck trying to jump into the oven to get it.

Who has a good method for roasting a chicken? Also I guess I finally need a proper roasting pan with a rack...

You don't need a roasting pan and a rack for roasting a chicken. You can use them, sure...but you sure as hell don't need one.

Got a saute pan that the chicken will fit into? Great. You're good to go.

Here's the recipe:

Let the chicken come up to room temperature.
    Get your oven up to 450 degrees.
    Remove any extraneous items that may be hiding inside the chicken (giblets, neck, etc, etc).
    Do not rinse the chicken.
    Pat the chicken dry.
    Sprinkle salt and pepper across the skin of the chicken.
    Place the chicken into the pan.
    Place the pan into the oven.
    Walk away for an hour (assuming your bird is somewhere around 4 pounds).
    Do not open the oven to look at it.
    Do not stuff the bird.
    At the hour mark pull the pan with the bird out of the oven.
    Carefully transfer the bird out of the pan and onto a cutting board.
    Let the bird rest for 15 min.
    Then carve that bitch up and enjoy.

If you're feeling a little fancier - while the chicken is resting you can put the pan onto the stove on a medium low heat and then toss in some butter and some acid (lemon juice or white wine work really well). It'll come to a light boil and while it does that scrap the bottom of the pan with a spoon or something to get up all the bits. Toss in a pinch of herbs (thyme and sage are great). Let it reduce a little. Turn off the stove. DO NOT GRAB THE PAN HANDLE DURING THIS PROCESS (I have done that shit twice now and 450 degree pan handles leave marks).

Drizzle your pan sauce over your chicken and whatever else you made to go with in and enjoy.

As a quick suggestion, if you've got some handy, toss some aromatic stuff in the cavity before baking. A quartered onion, maybe a lemon, some bundled herbs, a chopped clove of garlic or two... that kind of thing.
    You're not going to be eating this part, but it will help flavor the chicken (and the pan sauce, if you go that route).

I avoid doing this in chicken because I want that crispy skin and anything that introduces moisture into the oven will affect that process.

I dunno, I find as long as you salt your chicken half an hour before cooking it, then pat it dry and oil it, I've never not had crispy skin.

Fair fair, this would totally work as well.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of diving into the deep end. I might try to make some ramen this weekend.

I have chicken stock, I have sheepheads mushrooms, I have some skin on chicken. I just need some good noodles.

A little late, but spaghetti + baking soda makes a pretty passable ramen noodle. Science: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/baking-soda-ramen-noodle-spaghetti-hack.html

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    I have acquired a whole chicken.

The trick will be roasting it without duck trying to jump into the oven to get it.

Who has a good method for roasting a chicken? Also I guess I finally need a proper roasting pan with a rack...

You don't need a roasting pan and a rack for roasting a chicken. You can use them, sure...but you sure as hell don't need one.

Got a saute pan that the chicken will fit into? Great. You're good to go.

Here's the recipe:

Let the chicken come up to room temperature.
    Get your oven up to 450 degrees.
    Remove any extraneous items that may be hiding inside the chicken (giblets, neck, etc, etc).
    Do not rinse the chicken.
    Pat the chicken dry.
    Sprinkle salt and pepper across the skin of the chicken.
    Place the chicken into the pan.
    Place the pan into the oven.
    Walk away for an hour (assuming your bird is somewhere around 4 pounds).
    Do not open the oven to look at it.
    Do not stuff the bird.
    At the hour mark pull the pan with the bird out of the oven.
    Carefully transfer the bird out of the pan and onto a cutting board.
    Let the bird rest for 15 min.
    Then carve that bitch up and enjoy.

If you're feeling a little fancier - while the chicken is resting you can put the pan onto the stove on a medium low heat and then toss in some butter and some acid (lemon juice or white wine work really well). It'll come to a light boil and while it does that scrap the bottom of the pan with a spoon or something to get up all the bits. Toss in a pinch of herbs (thyme and sage are great). Let it reduce a little. Turn off the stove. DO NOT GRAB THE PAN HANDLE DURING THIS PROCESS (I have done that shit twice now and 450 degree pan handles leave marks).

Drizzle your pan sauce over your chicken and whatever else you made to go with in and enjoy.

As a quick suggestion, if you've got some handy, toss some aromatic stuff in the cavity before baking. A quartered onion, maybe a lemon, some bundled herbs, a chopped clove of garlic or two... that kind of thing.
    You're not going to be eating this part, but it will help flavor the chicken (and the pan sauce, if you go that route).

I avoid doing this in chicken because I want that crispy skin and anything that introduces moisture into the oven will affect that process.

I dunno, I find as long as you salt your chicken half an hour before cooking it, then pat it dry and oil it, I've never not had crispy skin.

Fair fair, this would totally work as well.

I think your original post is a really good way to go, but the key is dry bird + a bit of oil. Very broadly speaking, a lot of issues when it comes to crispy v soggy can be traced back to that, if we're talking oven cooked.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    azith28 wrote: »

Probs easier than trying to make decent noodles from scratch for the first time by yourself, yeah.

I'm not sure where you live, but asian grocery stores are really common. They usually are small hole in the wall places. i bet if you did a search you would find something much closer that you never knew was there.

Ha ha no. I live in Indiana. It's corn fields everywhere here. For an Asian grocery store I need to go to either Chicago or the suburbs.

I know Meijer usually has soba and udon noodles in the little "Asian" section, but ymmv. Higher quality premade ramen noodles have always been tricky to find in my experience, both in the Midwest and in LA. It's obviously easier here, but I haven't found many varieties.

Also I'm pretty sure there are a few Asian markets in Mishawaka/South Bend, which would be a bit shorter drive than Chicago.

jgeis on
  • grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    one time i bought flaxseed oil(wild flax - camelina sativa)by accident and i just found it again in my drawer. any advice on how to use it?just looked it up and apparently it's really good for dry eyes, because of omega 3. definitely using it in my salad tomorrow.

grrmusha on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Damn it, I keep screwing up dishes that have a leafy component to them. I always throw them in too early. Is there a general rule I should be playing by? My next guess is "wait until everything else is done cooking, then throw in the leaf stuff in for a couple minutes." Though with kale I dunno if that's enough time to take a bit of its toughness out.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Damn it, I keep screwing up dishes that have a leafy component to them. I always throw them in too early. Is there a general rule I should be playing by? My next guess is "wait until everything else is done cooking, then throw in the leaf stuff in for a couple minutes." Though with kale I dunno if that's enough time to take a bit of its toughness out.

Yea Kale needs ALOT of time to cook down enough to be tender. For most other things like spinach I usually throw in like the last 5 minutes.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    riz02rbx7qkt.png

Valuable tips from XKCD.

https://xkcd.com/1905/

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I still want to get a good cast iron pan and dutch oven. one day.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I still want to get a good cast iron pan and dutch oven. one day.

While old ones might be a little nicer...pick up a lodge cast iron pan. I have 2 of those (one larger one smaller) and they are nonstick as hell. Just cook a lot of bacon. They will last forever. Like, amazon has the 10 inch (i wouldn't go above 12, they do get unwieldy) for 16 bucks right now. An old one might be smoother to the touch, but that has relatively little to do with how non-stick it is, as that's more about the chemistry on the surface of the pan, which is going to be the same from any seasoned cast iron. The lodge will also smooth out a bit with use and as seasoning builds up.

I can also recommend tramontina and lodge enameled dutch ovens. Much cheaper than a le cruest and....I never understood what a le cruest was offering for the price. A cast iron core is cheap, and no matter what takes a while to heat evenly, because that's just how all cast iron works. As for the enamel...maybe it's better? But my tramonita has lasted over 5 years now and was ~30-40$. At that price, even if it shattered tomorrow and I buy another one, I'm still spending way less than a single le cruest. By all means educate me why they are so good, my partner got a smaller dutch oven from them a while ago and its...well its the same as my cheaper bigger one but smaller? I just cant tell the difference.

(And if I'm being an ass cause you're broke I apologize, I've been there before too, I know the feeling of not having a $20 to spare.)

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Huh. I hadn't even thought about looking for a Lodge dutch oven, but that makes sense. I was planning to buy a fancy enamel one for my next big present to myself, but I'm deffo open to a cheaper option. I love my Lodge cast iron pan, and I'm probably going to buy a big one and a small one to go with my medium one.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    My kids got me packs of spices for my birthday

They're good kids

Jedoc wrote: »
    Huh. I hadn't even thought about looking for a Lodge dutch oven, but that makes sense. I was planning to buy a fancy enamel one for my next big present to myself, but I'm deffo open to a cheaper option. I love my Lodge cast iron pan, and I'm probably going to buy a big one and a small one to go with my medium one.

I'll say the glaze on the le crusty looks a little nicer, so if a better serving vessel that you can cook in is worth 100+ extra bucks go for it. (Or buy a nice bowl for like, $30 but I digress. I hate Williams Sonoma so much for working so hard to make cooking seem harder and seem more expensive.)

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Williams Sonoma does occasionally have a mold or tool I want that is difficult to find elsewhere. They can and should be ignored entirely though the other 99% of the time.

edited October 2017
    I'll take a look at Lodge. Also at my local charity stores. They usually have all kinds of old cookware. Its where I got my aluminum dutch ovens I use for making sour dough loafs. $7 apiece? Yes please.

webguy20 on
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Lodge's pans are great and cheap. Highly recommended.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Isn't that whole thing about cast-iron pans and not using soap a myth?

Henroid wrote: »
    Isn't that whole thing about cast-iron pans and not using soap a myth?

So says kenji lopez http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html

Buuut I admit I don't use it unless desperate. I have a good layer, a salt scrub cleans most everything out.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I mean when I clean mine I just use hot water and scrape off any food but leave some on the oil in the bottom to polymerize with the heat. That's what seasoning is on a pan. You can use soap I think but you always want to leave the surface black. If you take it to Grey it will rust.

Also never put it aside wet. After cleaning apply heat to steam all that water off it.

If the food is stubborn I do use something abrasive like salt and a stiff brush but usually I just use a cheap bowl scraper.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Speaking of cast iron I'm going to look for a nice thick cut of ribeye to sear in a couple weeks now that I have a good (decent) instant read digital thermometer.

Any one have a good method they like that I can modify for my oven since it is has some heat quirks?

Tallahasseeriel on
    Speaking of cast iron I'm going to look for a nice thick cut of ribeye to sear in a couple weeks now that I have a good (decent) instant read digital thermometer.

Any one have a good method they like that I can modify for my oven since it is has some heat quirks?

"Reverse sear"is the way and the light. Put it in a low oven, let it slowly come to the temp you want, set it to the side to rest, heat your pan with a little oil to smoking and sear that bad boy.

Or if like me you want it almost mooing, skip the oven and sear it just a bit more slowly. Salt and pepper the steak either a few hours+ ahead, or just before. The in between times make some bad trade offs, with lost juices not being readsorbed and the surface proteins not breaking down from the salt yet. But right before is also good, cause salt and pepper are good.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    you can also just keep on cooking onions in your cast iron pan and only cleaning it with water until it starts to build up a bit.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I fou d that deep frying three days in a row made for a nice coating on my cast iron

This discussion has been closed.