As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

mister police. you could have saved her. I gave you all the [MOVIES]

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Everybody has a horror franchise that they just couldn't possibly be asked to give a fuck about ever under any circumstances

Not me

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'm the balance to Sweeney

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to watch exorcist 3 this weekend. That movie owns bones. Dourif really kills it in that.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I just don't find horror to be fun to watch.

• 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Colossal reminded me of Zebraman, and Zebraman did a much better job of balancing the big silly kaiju movie with serious themes thing.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I watched World War Z last night. It was surprisingly decent, and the lack of the usual zombie movie gore was refreshing.

I can't tolerate gore

edited October 2017
    Speaking of horror stuff some people hate. My bedroom has a large pass though room that I use as an office/gaming room attached to it. On the wall in direct view of from my bed there hangs a creepy picture of Angus scrimm. There have been many a night I've woken up only to come in direct eye contact with it while it's awash in the glow of the stupid red lights shining out of my pc.

I've nearly peed myself on more than a few occasions after waking up from a nightmare only to find myself in a new one. It doesn't help that my house is full of weird animals in jars and random skulls and scary pictures. It's no wonder these kids are scared to walk around.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Colossal reminded me of Zebraman, and Zebraman did a much better job of balancing the big silly kaiju movie with serious themes thing.

i just cannot understand this opinion at all

not that it is invalid, it just is completely foreign to me

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

I really thought I was going to love it, and for a while I did. The tone and focus of the second half felt off.
    Making Sudeikis go suddenly evil felt off? Like, he's supposed to be damaged and out of control as well, and him getting creepy and abusive is believable, but it took the focus off of Hathaway's character. Does she continue spiralling out of control? Does she start on the path to redemption? Nah, she just kills a guy who's more messed up than her.

Plus, the origin scene felt really silly and I don't think it was supposed to. There were a lot of moments like that later in the film.

I still enjoyed the movie, but it just sort of went off the rails for me.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Speaking of horror stuff some people hate. My bedroom has a large pass though room that I use as an office/gaming room attached to it. On the wall in direct view of from my bed there hangs a creepy picture of Angus scrimm. There have been many a night I've woken up only to come in direct eye contact with it while it's awash in the glow of the stupid red lights shining out of my pc.

I've nearly peed myself on more than a few occasions after waking up from a nightmare only to find myself in a new one. It doesn't help that my house is full of weird animals in jars and random skulls and scary pictures. It's no wonder these kids are scared to walk around.

I watched Phantasm 2 again just last week.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

I really thought I was going to love it, and for a while I did. The tone and focus of the second half felt off.
    Making Sudeikis go suddenly evil felt off? Like, he's supposed to be damaged and out of control as well, and him getting creepy and abusive is believable, but it took the focus off of Hathaway's character. Does she continue spiralling out of control? Does she start on the path to redemption? Nah, she just kills a guy who's more messed up than her.

Plus, the origin scene felt really silly and I don't think it was supposed to. There were a lot of moments like that later in the film.

That's the point of the very last scene

She's solved an external problem, but she still has plenty of internal issues to deal with that the focus has been taken away from

6F32U1X.png

Did you almost pee your pants when you saw him too?

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Did you almost pee your pants when you saw him too?

Always.

Mr. G wrote: »

That's the point of the very last scene

She's solved an external problem, but she still has plenty of internal issues to deal with that the focus has been taken away from

I buy that. And it lines up with the externalization of internal problems metaphor. But ironically the movie became a lot less believable for me when
    it started to focus on their feud, than when it focused on Hathaway accidentally summoning a kaiju and destroying Seoul. The movies strengths were in establishing believable, messed up characters and connecting them with an unbelievable metaphor.
    But the battle of two damaged people finale fell flat for me.

Like I said, I don't know if it was a conceptual issue or an execution one, but it just wasn't landing for me.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I watched A Date For Mad Mary today. It's probably impossible to find in the US but I highly recommend it. Seana Kerslake is going to be a Big Deal once she breaks out of the Irish industry

Tube wrote: »
    I watched A Date For Mad Mary today. It's probably impossible to find in the US but I highly recommend it. Seana Kerslake is going to be a Big Deal once she breaks out of the Irish industry

I hope this get some screen time in Canada, because it looks really really good.

Getting ready to start Wish Upon.

I am very excited.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I just don't find horror to be fun to watch.

I sort of get it, but I can't watch most horror because my brain will just latch onto it and I'll be thinking about the scary/gross stuff constantly for the next two weeks. I do like reading the plot synopses on Wikipedia from time to time, there's definitely interesting storytelling and stuff. I just don't go in for all the visceral gore and jump scares. The scariest movies I've liked are like, the Cloverfield movies, or Alien. Same with horror games, the scariest I can go is Bioshock or Half-life 2.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I like horror movies that are either really stupid and hilarious or that make me feel really genuinely terrible long after I finish watching it

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I think horror movies are almost always interesting, often very funny, and almost never scary.

The only movies to actually scare me, that I can think of right now, have been The Descent and Green Room.

Oh, and Ernest Scared Stupid when I was in second grade, I guess

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I saw nightmare on elm street when I was like 7.

That shit was way better when you were too young to be watching I think. I have been scared to pop in my bluray and put it on because I'm afraid it won't hold up at all.

edited October 2017
    Nightmare on Elm street 1 is still good. It's no dream warriors though.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    Poltergeist scared the shit out of me when I was a kid and because of that it still does.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I love that New Mutants is apparently a Marvel horror film. That is so great.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I'm consistently baffled that Chucky movies continue to be made

There was a DVD I saw someone tried to steal
    It was Puppetmaster and all 8 yes 8 films. I just remember one of them was real proto sci fi channel silliness and that was 4?

I'm watching The Meyerowitz Stories and it is well-written and well-performed but I just don't know if I have the patience for the Rich People Are Sad & Have Problems genre anymore

Wes Anderson was the last one through the door

6F32U1X.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Maybe that's why I don't want to see any other Wes Anderson movies after seeing only the one I saw which was the royal tennenbaums

I say I saw it but I turned it off halfway through because I hated it.

I'm watching The Meyerowitz Stories and it is well-written and well-performed but I just don't know if I have the patience for the Rich People Are Sad & Have Problems genre anymore

I very much appreciate this review, because I had allllllmost talked to myself into checking it out (I have a fascination with Adam Sandler's capacity for, yet frequent refusal to do, good work), but hearing this is enough for me to fight the urge.

I very much appreciate this review, because I had allllllmost talked to myself into checking it out (I have a fascination with Adam Sandler's capacity for, yet frequent refusal to do, good work), but hearing this is enough for me to fight the urge.

I recommend watching the opening scene and tapping out

You get Sandler being the most relatable he's ever been (having a tough time finding street parking in a major city while refusing to pay for a garage) and not the part where you're meant to find the problems of people who talk about their "country house" in any way important

6F32U1X.png
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I will do it

I will watch the rich people have problems

edited October 2017
    I'll see The Meyerowitz Stories, but Noah Baumbach is reeally hit and miss for me. Every once in a while he gets me to care about the rich people problems, which is quite the feat.

I haven't dug one of his movies much since Frances Ha though.

Edit: The most relatable Adam Sandler has ever been was Punch Drunk Love for reasons I'm not proud of.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Holy christ this review of I Love You, Daddy
    By making a movie about the struggle to reconcile accusations against Louis CK’s Blue Jasmine director, Woody Allen, CK has also made a movie about the audience’s struggle with himself. This is a film that’s aware of its creator’s reputation. Lest that layer be lost on viewers, one scene finds Charlie Day’s wily sidekick miming masturbation (to completion!) in front of Edie Falco. (Another scene has Topher apologizing to “Women,” as in the entire gender.) All of this may have been intended as a boiling hot gumbo of catharsis, reckoning, and trolling–a playful way to comment on the allegations against him without actually commenting–but it no longer feels that way. Now that sexual harassment and sexism have dominated the discourse for two weeks–spilling out into every facet of the entertainment industry–Louis CK’s intentions look more self-serving. The film now plays like an ambiguous moral inventory of and excuse for everything that allows sexual predators to thrive: open secrets, toxic masculinity, and powerful people getting the benefit of the doubt.

[...]

Setting aside the awkward timing of a male-written movie with a reverse–casting couch subplot and a sidekick who is the human embodiment of locker room talk, the way the film regards open secrets is troubling. “That’s just a rumor,” Louis CK says about the allegations against John Malkovich’s esteemed auteur, echoing how he dismissed his own allegations in real life. “It’s a fucked-up, unproven story. He was never charged for that,” the character continues. Sure, it’s only a character saying so, and early in the film at that, but it’s also the opening salvo to a game of devil’s advocate the real Louis CK is in no position to play.

By the time his character says, “Never judge anybody on their private life,” accepts Les Goodwin’s creative notes right in the middle of a confrontation about maybe dating his teenage daughter, or takes comfort from another character declaring, “Everyone’s a pervert,” the audience has an idea of where he stands.

[...]
    Is I Love You, Daddy even a good movie? I don’t know. Maybe if the 2017 audience knew absolutely nothing about the Weinstein scandal or Louis CK’s personal situation, they could evenly assess. It’s not Louis CK’s fault that the former is currently unfolding, but it seems intentional that it brings into sharp relief his own reputation. He sat through however many takes of Charlie Day pretending to masturbate in front of Edie Falco, knowing full well who it would remind people of: himself. He just probably never predicted his personal baggage would be so relevant to the national conversation when the movie came out. Now, he can no longer pretend that his baggage doesn’t matter, and neither can we.

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Holy christ this review of I Love You, Daddy
    By making a movie about the struggle to reconcile accusations against Louis CK’s Blue Jasmine director, Woody Allen, CK has also made a movie about the audience’s struggle with himself. This is a film that’s aware of its creator’s reputation. Lest that layer be lost on viewers, one scene finds Charlie Day’s wily sidekick miming masturbation (to completion!) in front of Edie Falco. (Another scene has Topher apologizing to “Women,” as in the entire gender.) All of this may have been intended as a boiling hot gumbo of catharsis, reckoning, and trolling–a playful way to comment on the allegations against him without actually commenting–but it no longer feels that way. Now that sexual harassment and sexism have dominated the discourse for two weeks–spilling out into every facet of the entertainment industry–Louis CK’s intentions look more self-serving. The film now plays like an ambiguous moral inventory of and excuse for everything that allows sexual predators to thrive: open secrets, toxic masculinity, and powerful people getting the benefit of the doubt.

[...]

Setting aside the awkward timing of a male-written movie with a reverse–casting couch subplot and a sidekick who is the human embodiment of locker room talk, the way the film regards open secrets is troubling. “That’s just a rumor,” Louis CK says about the allegations against John Malkovich’s esteemed auteur, echoing how he dismissed his own allegations in real life. “It’s a fucked-up, unproven story. He was never charged for that,” the character continues. Sure, it’s only a character saying so, and early in the film at that, but it’s also the opening salvo to a game of devil’s advocate the real Louis CK is in no position to play.

By the time his character says, “Never judge anybody on their private life,” accepts Les Goodwin’s creative notes right in the middle of a confrontation about maybe dating his teenage daughter, or takes comfort from another character declaring, “Everyone’s a pervert,” the audience has an idea of where he stands.

[...]
    Is I Love You, Daddy even a good movie? I don’t know. Maybe if the 2017 audience knew absolutely nothing about the Weinstein scandal or Louis CK’s personal situation, they could evenly assess. It’s not Louis CK’s fault that the former is currently unfolding, but it seems intentional that it brings into sharp relief his own reputation. He sat through however many takes of Charlie Day pretending to masturbate in front of Edie Falco, knowing full well who it would remind people of: himself. He just probably never predicted his personal baggage would be so relevant to the national conversation when the movie came out. Now, he can no longer pretend that his baggage doesn’t matter, and neither can we.

Fuckin' yeesh

Haha!

Wish Upon was awesome.

Brainleech wrote: »
    I'm consistently baffled that Chucky movies continue to be made

There was a DVD I saw someone tried to steal
    It was Puppetmaster and all 8 yes 8 films. I just remember one of them was real proto sci fi channel silliness and that was 4?

oh there are more puppet master movies now

6vjsgrerts6r.png

YaYa wrote: »
    I will do it

hey guess how i feel about this genre

alex guess

6vjsgrerts6r.png

YaYa wrote: »
    I will do it

I agreed with this post but then clicked unagree because holy shit is Noah Baumbach the worst

I don't think I've watched any other Noah Baumbach but good christ do all of them lean on the "people are having a conversation but not actually addressing the thing the other person said, just raising new points" over and over and OVER AND OVER like Meyerowitz Stories does

6F32U1X.png
    I don't think I've watched any other Noah Baumbach but good christ do all of them lean on the "people are having a conversation but not actually addressing the thing the other person said, just raising new points" over and over and OVER AND OVER like Meyerowitz Stories does

You may actually die if you watch Margot at the Wedding

Yes.

Frances Ha works pretty well, but it might seriously be because there's less characters in it to talk over each other.

This discussion has been closed.