As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Democracy [Mini-Phalla] (Game over, mafia bloodbath, village victory!)

• MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    So let's put this one out there:

Host CD'd the question on thralls, millers and conversions, but clarified that death results are accurate.

Paranoid thought... but conversions could potentially put the kibosh on an all-seer strategy. Because we can't actually trust the seers to be correct about a target being green, right? Or that seers that called a target red aren't themselves red? One convert a day would offset one vote kill a day.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    Thralls, millers, conversions?

Death results are reliable. Clarification Denied on others.

There are no conversions.

No conversions

I can't read.

Chamberlain

Seer
    Seer
    Seer

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Maybe they are leaving them alive because they are looking for a specific person? Giving the mafia a target to find and kill but only one kill per day could be offset by giving them some of the seer actions. If that's the case going guard every night might have been a better option (though it would make a slow ass game).

Chamberlain

Seer
    Seer
    Seer

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Maybe there's a thing going on. There are an endless maybes out there if you wanna go that route.

Great to discuss and have theories, but you don't ignore the ability to have 100% vote accuracy in this game unless you got something substantial to put up.

If it's too good to be true, well, milk it until it ain't. Any village would use this to make best use of the vote in any game they could.

OrokosPA.png
    Yeah I wasn't arguing to change to guard or anything, just talking hypotheticals.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Maybe every time someone selects to seer someone they unconsciously share the knowledge with Yog-Sothoth, the key and guardian of the gate! Every seer opens their mind to indescribable cosmic horror and puts the gate one step closer to opening. Yog-Sothoth knows where The Old Ones broke through of old and where they shall breakthrough again! Only by voting for 3 kills can we appease the undying Old Ones and save what few of us remain in blissful ignorance of the greater darkness of the universe.

It's just a theory.

It could also be bunnies.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

I will blame the village if my next pizza accidentally has anchovies.

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    What if the real mafia was the friends we killed along the way?

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Getting on a plane home soon and don’t want to miss a vote. Thankfully it seems we don’t have much of a chance of last minute flips

Chamberlain

Seer
    Seer
    Seer

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    seer
    seer
    seer

!chamberlain

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    seer
    seer
    seer

!chamberlain

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    seer
    seer
    seer

!chamberlain-su

Does my vote matter?
    It feels like a drop in the bucket-su

VayBJ4e.png
    oh right, almost forgot

seer
    seer
    seer[/b]

Damnit.

seer
    seer
    seer

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Night Four

Another one bites the dust. This seems to be going well. I wonder what will be in store tomorrow!

And on the plus side, it's easy to prepare everything to get fast results!

Dead List
    chamberlain - The Vote
    Infidel - The Mafia
    Preda - Inactivus

@Brody you missed the vote today, you've been warned.

PMs going out, please be quiet about the game. Shouldn't be long.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    PMs out, go for it.

Steam profile
    edited October 2017
    *glances at @Virgil_Leads_You *

*shrugs, offers raised hand for a high five, but confusedly?*

oh Moridin, you're also welcome to join us at the Pro Thug Ganker's table

Raiden333 on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Are some seer results painting people red?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    It looks like the found mafia were discovered by two greens and a gold, so it doesn’t appear like one color itself does that.

Plus...the outed mafia really haven’t argued their case at all, so again doesn’t seem like it’s false seering.

Host clarification outright said death results are accurate.

Do we need to extend the day for the weekend?

Steam profile
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    any good seer results today?

VayBJ4e.png
    Player List
    1. JPants
    2. AustinP0027
    3. Brody
    4. jdarksun
    5. Grunt's Ghosts
    6. 38thDoe
    7. Moridin889
    8. Megafrost
    9. Virgil_Leads_You
    10. Raiden333
    11. KetBra
    12. TheRoadVirus
    13. LostNinja
    14. Preda
    15. MrTLicious
    16. ILucedes
    17. Infidel
    18. Egos
    19. enlightenedbum
    20. chamberlain

Let me know if I missed someone!

VayBJ4e.png
    Since we are posting seer results, Grunts Ghosts is The Cheater. Sounds ominous.
    It just means that I can boost or reduce the chance of a power vote by 10%. So like I can say "Reduce Beta Seer" and the seers votes cost 10% less. It was useless last night when all votes were pretty much seers.

Worth some consideration considering Chamberlain was mafia, and def a liar

Grunt's Ghosts, are you a neutral, or a special villager?
    Not saying you should be the vote target, I'm just curious about your deal!

There's probably one or two folk like enlightenbum who did some irrelevant votes
    regarding day 1 guards and such.

VayBJ4e.png
    Enlightenedbum just because we don’t have much to go off of, so taking a shot due to goofy day 1 color votes.

Seer
    Seer
    Seer

Brody is a Villager

Seer
    Seer
    Seer

Megafrost because he's been talking about not going 3 seer for a couple days now it seems and that's really the only thing that's happened other than seer calls.

Enlightenbum was voted out day 2, sorry.
    I can see were it might look like I was suggesting that.

VayBJ4e.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Is that a seering?

Seer
    Seer
    Seer

Megafrost is fine if we have no other results.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

The Brody was a seering, yes. Mega was just a vote.

Sorry if unclear.

Seer
    Seer
    Seer

Megafrost

Phone voting, In a car and not sure if I'll be home by vote close, and not sure if the day got extended, I can go with this set.

The Final Night

Although the last remaining mafia member had been scouted out and so was doomed, they could take some pleasure in the fact that this was, at best, a farce of democracy :P

JPants was the last mafia, and was successfully seered last night. His fate is sealed.

VILLAGE VICTORY

My thoughts on the game in the spoiler.
    lol welcome back to Phalla everyone.

Balance: This game obviously wasn’t balanced well. I think late-game mafia may have actually tilted the balance more their way if they could make it there on relatively even footing. That would be hard anyways, but when your villagers are on point Seering mafia, well… The mafia had one of the Special roles (coincidentally) the first four days, which only left two village Specials. The mafia also had an every-other-day Roleblock (which could directly target one of the Specials, no guessing needed), which meant that in the first 2 days, there were only 3 Village Seerings (not 6, the worst-case scenario for the mafia). And of those 3, two randomly seered a mafia. Not only that, but the mafia lost their Roleblocker early, which meant that they couldn’t reduce power the third night. The third night, again, 1/2 Village Seerings hit mafia. (After that it was downhill, since the pool of unseered players shrank faster than deaths.)

That’s pretty rough :(. Just to add insult to injury, the first (and only) time the mafia Roleblocked someone, that player was inactive with their ability anyways, so it turned out to be completely wasted. 50% chance the village had no Special abilities used that first night, but instead it just started the bloodbath.

I did really enjoy multiple comments of "surely this can't be the case, it's too easy/doesn't make any balance sense." Oh how you underestimate me :D

Seriously, that village accuracy: Two out of the first three seerings, and 3 out of the first 5 seerings were mafia. By that point, the pool of players was still decently sizeable. Villagers were just good at pinpointing mafia :P

Rotating Specials: One thing that is obvious to me in retrospect, but wasn’t when planning, was the value that the village gained from having no permanent specials, in that all the results could just be public for no loss. I kind of think the mafia should have just stayed quiet. It’s not like they gained anything from speaking out! And that just gave the village more targets to cross off. But it’s hard to tell if that’s just hindsight speaking or not.

Non-rotating specials: I added a couple other non-rotating specials to the village just for fun. I didn't intend for them to impact the game much. Grunt's Ghosts' ability turned out to be completely worthless 'cause I messed up the (super simple) math when planning this out. Oops? 38thDoe's (prevent a player from being one of the three main Specials) would have been potentially useful if the Specials actually had more concrete value and weren't just essentially public seerings.

Mafia abilities: The mafia had the ability to increase their chances and decrease others’ chances of becoming Specials. They could also manipulate the Specials’ public ability votes to a degree, not that that ever mattered this game. If they made it to lategame on decent footing, when the village started to mix up the votes beyond just “Seer all the time,” I think they could have stolen enough vigs to make something happen. Maybe.

The Triple SeersThe triple Seering strategy was the big thing I was concerned about in planning. I thought it was going to be overpowered, and thought of a few easy tweaks to maybe combat that. But then some of the pre-game talk involved voting for other abilities, and in the end I figured I would go with this and see what happened. I was thinking that since the village would probably only get 1 Seering half the time anyways, it would maybe be OK. Turns out you only need 1 Seering a night if you always hit mafia and don’t have to worry about dying the next day :P

The other aspect was that only seering made the game last longer (theoretically), which generally benefits the village anyways.

Future games: If we have gaps of games in the future, I’ll probably run this again with some tweaks (some of my own, some of players’ suggestions). I like the concept. I did ask for help with balance, and had no takers, so in the end really it’s all of your own faults :P.

Takeaway: I hope you all had fun at least. I’m far from the best balancer of games, but I try to make them fun and involved for everyone anyways. The public mafia calls made this a lot less interactive than I would have liked :(, so I honestly consider this particular game a failure. Still, it was nice to get the gang back together, so to speak. It’d be nice to keep a steady stream of games going.

Steam profile
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I had assumed that some of the mafia would be ... thralls? Been seen as village anyway.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    If only real democracy was so simple

liEt3nH.png
    edited October 2017
    One thing I started to become paranoid about in the latter days of the game (when we weren't getting as many declared seers) was the idea that if you got killed while holding a rotating special role, that role would permanently stop getting given to new people.

While it might not have worked out as you planned, enjoy that you made several of us go into paranoia circles due to your reputation alone, kime. :P

Raiden333 on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Thanks for running ,kime. I had fun, though I am sad I never got to use this:

u14bb9o81jei.gif

Egos on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Since we are posting seer results, Grunts Ghosts is The Cheater. Sounds ominous.
    It just means that I can boost or reduce the chance of a power vote by 10%. So like I can say "Reduce Beta Seer" and the seers votes cost 10% less. It was useless last night when all votes were pretty much seers.

Worth some consideration considering Chamberlain was mafia, and def a liar

Grunt's Ghosts, are you a neutral, or a special villager?
    Not saying you should be the vote target, I'm just curious about your deal!

There's probably one or two folk like enlightenbum who did some irrelevant votes
    regarding day 1 guards and such.

Liar?!

Well, maybe lies of omission.