As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Etrian Odyssey: Nexus - When your cat is an absolute unit.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Warlock's is actually pretty weak I think?

But they have different %s for them all. Herb Mastery ranges from 10-30%, so that first point is basically a must have. Masurao and Warlock both look to be 2-15%.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

But they have different %s for them all. Herb Mastery ranges from 10-30%, so that first point is basically a must have. Masurao and Warlock both look to be 2-15%.
    Every point I've put into Magi Mastery has increased my damage for weaknesses by a good 15 to 20 points per casting. In past games the percentages on the "Mastery" things are so low you'll be lucky to see +2 damage.

• Options
    Huh. I may be looking at bad info then.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Every point I've put into Magi Mastery has increased my damage for weaknesses by a good 15 to 20 points per casting. In past games the percentages on the "Mastery" things are so low you'll be lucky to see +2 damage.

I'm reasonably sure that would be due to intelligence going up or weapon upgrades. The magi mastery talent is 2-15%, so not that great. The master level one for omnimancer is better though, that goes to 25%. Magic scales way better than it did in previous games in EO5, weapon upgrades are a huge deal. And I think int has a higher impact as well, but that is pure speculation. I just noticed early on that I noticably more damage with a few more levels with the same skills.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    The "Mastery" passives confuse me. For my Botanist and Warlock, a single point boosts their output substantially. But for my Masurao, I'm not noticing any damage increase.

Most of those are like 1.5 % per level, on average. Some of them are randomly large, with two or three functions.
    Mastery-skills are essentially a holdover from when you had to pump points into the special skill-unlocking skill, with a nominal bonus as an apology for existing.

PLA on
  • Options
    The fourth stratum combat music is awesome!

Really loving the stratum visual designs so far as well, the third one was very unexpected.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The visuals on area 2 are pretty neat, especially the skybox. I love in stratum 1 and 2 you can see the giant roots of Yggdrasil and it's clear that the stratums are built on those roots. This game did a much better job than part 2 of giving the feel of climbing upward, and I'm only on the 8th floor so far.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I've realized that what I want the most from a Switch version of EO is to use the widescreen format to allow for much larger team sizes. I wouldn't call it a complaint so much as a compliment that there are so many classes that have interesting abilities that I usually find myself feeling sad over the ones I have to leave out from my party, rather than happy about the ones I get to put in.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    I hate to say it but EO is ripe to be a procedural content MMO of some sort.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    HOLY SHIT One-Two Punch can follow up with multiple binding attacks.

Edit - Nooooooooo, I ran into a shining FOE and right on the last turn of the battle, after never landing an attack, it one-shots my Warlock. That was a 30k experience battle. She's so far behind now.

Henroid on
  • Options
    I hate to say it but EO is ripe to be a procedural content mobage of some sort.

the more accurate and sad truth

• Options
    l_g wrote: »

I dunno what that term means, help me out.

Also my warlock just reached a point where she can kill all current random encounters by herself. One or two spellcasts, depending on if it's sturdy enemies or their row setups. Found the stairs to the 10th floor.

• Options

"mobage" is the Japanese vernacular portmanteau for "mobile game".

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

"mobage" is the Japanese vernacular portmanteau for "mobile game".

Most generally used in the english-speaking sphere specifically for the omnipresent free to play gacha-based RPG-ish games like Granblue Fantasy or Fate/Grand Order or Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, to be exact. Like, most people would not call Super Mario Run a mobage.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    It's a portmanteau for "mobile garbage".

The screen isn't the reason for the party-size. There's at least one handheld dungeon-gridder with fifteen horizontally aligned characters.

• Options
    Okay, I am at a loss on how to handle the 2nd stratum boss. That shit gets stupid fast.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    yeah, i'm basically sitting around on 2nd stratum trying to organize a team that i think can clear hippogriff without too much trouble

i'm starting to think i should just grind up and use double warlocks to fuck its shit up but regrinding new teams is still somewhat slow even with the memory conch because of the lack of quest xp the second time around

i'm not going to lie i'm looking forward to the xp booster dlc mission coming out

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    i'm not going to lie i'm looking forward to the xp booster dlc mission coming out

I was wondering about that. I was looking at the available dlc, and it had the extra portrait packs listed at $1.99, but the extra quest packs were listed as "expired". I was thinking that they were a pre-order thing that I missed, but is that not the case?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Orphane wrote: »

I was wondering about that. I was looking at the available dlc, and it had the extra portrait packs listed at $1.99, but the extra quest packs were listed as "expired". I was thinking that they were a pre-order thing that I missed, but is that not the case?

no, they're coming out in weekly installments afaik

Orphane on
  • Options
    It seems like a Botanist is essential for the early going unless you're willing to go really slowly because nobody else provides healing that can compare early on. The Shaman's team healing from chants is quite weak low levels, and can't be used outside of combat.

Harbinger feels like it could either be stupid and stupid good, or stupid and not very good. Constantly dishing out physical damage to an enemy line and making them more susceptible to ailments/reducing their offence sounds good, but they don't bring a lot of variety, and they seem rather TP-hungry. Curse seems dubious.

Warlock + Fencer seems like a natural pairing, what with Fencer having three elemental chasers, Warlock having the same three elemental attack spells, Warlock having the ability to buff element damage on a line... the potential for being able to buff a Dragoon/Fencer/Necromancer frontline and have them all do Fire attacks/Fire chaser on something sounds real fun.

When I think about it, I really want to take advantage of all the new summoner units, but having more than two feels like they'd really get in each other's way.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I've pondered the ability to subsist on only item/food healing for the big stuff and using passive regen via Rover's animal therapy and the occasional Shaman buff healing as for the first 3 or so floors, there wasn't much the Botanist was doing when mobs had to go through bunkers, the aforementioned passive regen from Rovers and getting blasted by a Masurao, hawk Rover and a Warlock. Indeed, I've got far too much food sitting around and I really need to use them more.

My rationale is that I'm not using the Botanist much at all. Sure, I'm only on floor 5 but my Botanist's TP is never so far the limiting factor in my exploration longevity, unlike in previous EO games where healer TP is the clock that tells me to go back. It's always damage dealing TP or my bags get full. My botanist is for the most part, plinking away with a bow, or spamming Toxic Smoke trying to get it to proc on turtles to make shorter work of them because the warlock is tied up doing more important stuff, like nuking priority targets from orbit. The only times the thing actually tosses heals is when someone gets poisoned and takes a huge chunk of damage each turn due to it, or they get tapped by some big hits.

If I were to use a Shaman, I'd bum rush to unlock Heaven's Gift so I can consume a buff to instantly put out a 150% potency heal, which is equivalent to a level 4 healing herb. The passive bonus heal on applying a buff is at this level and probably at all levels just a secondary bonus. My team hasn't got anyone with more than 100HP, so 6-10% max HP is close to like 4-8HP which is absolutely nothing. The big problem is, and always will be, AoE healing. Initially, the big problem would be latency in getting the healing capabilities online (2nd turn is the fastest time) and the TP cost, but that should be supplemented with items.

It'll make a big departure from my usual gameplay though because I'm going to be throttled on money and day cycles for gathering more food since that'll be the bulk of my sustain.

Anyone know if there's a max of 3 buffs/debuffs before they get pushed off?

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    The buff/debuff list only allows three slots, yeah. I am not sure in what order things are pushed off though. And in stratums after the first my herbalist spent a lot more time healing than before. But he does spend a lot of time spamming smoke skills for lockdown/conditionals/damage, and heals either outside of combat or when disables fail to land on dangerous mobs. Bunkers fall off heavily as mitigation later on since most enemies have access to line piercing or multitarget attacks.

A shaman is probably a good enough healer if you want it though, but needs some levels to actually work. Not used one myself, but heard it works for others.

And for people having issues with stratum 2 boss, try using chain blast. It is a crazy powerful skill if used at the right time.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Ok, just did some experimentation and I believe I understand how buffs/debuffs get pushed off.

It's basically a stack where buffs are pushed up from the bottom of the list, and effects get popped off the top of the stack when it overflows. Effects that are refreshed get rearranged to be pushed back into the bottom of the stack.

Let's say we're looking at the debuff stack for this example:

I apply Target Arrow, Barrage Wall and Dark Smoke in that order. The stack now looks like
    Target Arrow
    Barrage Wall
    Dark Smoke

I reapply Target Arrow. The stack now looks like this:
    Barrage Wall
    Dark Smoke
    Target Arrow

Then I use Armor Pierce:
    Dark Smoke
    Target Arrow
    Armor Pierce

with Barrage Wall popping off the top into the void.

The stack does not care about the remaining duration of the effect. Only the order in which it was applied/refreshed.

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Just before going to sleep last night I reached the 3rd stratum and unlocked the Master thing. I haven't made any decisions yet, but I do think it's funny that the Fencer and Masurao have two opposite things going on. The former is like "equip no armor to increase your dodge rate substantially!" The latter is all, "equip all the swords ever."

Edit - Oh yeah, have we determined if EO5 continues the unspoken turn speed effect that types of equipment have on characters? Which is to say, shields would slow down turn speed, boots would increase turn speed (separate from agility gains), and gloves / headgear would have null effect?

Henroid on
  • Options
    Yes.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/893659-etrian-odyssey-v-beyond-the-myth/75800566
    Swords: +/-0
    Gauntlets: -5
    Staves: -5
    Katanas: -5
    Bows: +10
    Scythes: +5
    Artillery: -15
    Coffins: +5

Heavy Armor: -10
    Light Armor: +/-0
    Clothes: +5
    Helmets: +/-0
    Gloves: +5
    Boots: +10
    Shields: -5
    Accessories: +/-0

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Well that sorta explains why my Brouni herbalist nearly always goes first.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    All we need is a skill calculator and I can update the OP with actually useful info instead of conjecture.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Takel wrote: »
    Ok, just did some experimentation and I believe I understand how buffs/debuffs get pushed off.

It's basically a QUEUE where buffs are queued at the bottom/end of the list, and effects get dequeued from the top/head of the queue when it overflows. Effects that are refreshed get dequeued and then requeued at the bottom/end of the QUEUE.

I just replied to a post about linked lists so this really got me. /programmer-tightwad

l_g on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    All we need is a skill calculator and I can update the OP with actually useful info instead of conjecture.

http://waifusims.com/EOV/skillSim.html

This is more in-depth. https://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/893659-etrian-odyssey-v-beyond-the-myth/faqs/75200

PLA on
  • Options
    OP updated with those links and turn-speed info.

I'm looking at some of the information now and realize I've screwed myself over in a couple ways. I'm also not liking the Fencer all that much anymore. The Master class to further its tanking ability does things that I don't really like, namely making the initial draw ability useless.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Currently level 15 on floor 5. So far I'm happy with a dragoon using bunkers to tank hits for a chain fencer, musarao, warlock, and botanist.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I am having a berry bad time on stage 1. My warlock is feeling blue.... :(

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

Still not as bad as the nap in the flowerbed.

• Options

Still not as bad as the nap in the flowerbed.

I'm disappointed that there's no flowerbed to take a nap in on the 1st floor afaik. Now that I think about it, what was the first EO game to NOT have a flowerbed you could take a nap on?

• Options

My whole party.

• Options
    For some reason the synergy / purpose of skills in this game is confusing the shit out of me. Like the Warlock's mastery line for Elemancer has a passive that grants a bonus to your damage if someone uses an INT based skill before you, but what other classes actually DO that? Why are Chase skills so hard to get follow-ups on? Why does the Masurao have the passive to do more damage for multi-hit attacks as a basic when the only time you can actually make that happen is with the master classes? What's the point of having an Herbalist master the ability to heal at the start of the next turn for less?

• Options
    Base Masurao has a 2-hit attack, its unlocked by that multihit boost.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Base Masurao has a 2-hit attack, its unlocked by that multihit boost.
    I'm actually not sure they work together. It was the ability I went with on my Masurao and every time I used it, the two hits were the same in damage.

Edit - And to clarify, I am 95% sure of this. I think it's because the second hit doesn't happen on the Masurao's turn, it is technically a counter hit.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Did you max out the multihit boost? it's 5% per stack until level 5, and damage variance means that small increases like that are hard to see early on. It caps out at 9%, and can increase 9 times if you can hit that much, ending up as a 81% damage increase on the last hit.

edit: I'm getting all my skill numbers from an LP of the japanese version of the game on something awful, and as far as I know they are using the datamined stats from the japanese release.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Did you max out the multihit boost? it's 5% per stack until level 5, and damage variance means that small increases like that are hard to see early on. It caps out at 9%, and can increase 9 times if you can hit that much, ending up as a 81% damage increase on the last hit.
    I did not max it out, maybe that's it. Still, a basic Masurao only has a two-hit, so it'd only be a single 5%, 7%, or 9% increase for one hit.