As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SysAdmin] More like unItanium.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    this is why you see places have a bunch of teller/cashier/customer service stations but never fill them all
    users get assigned to some station and only ever use that station
    no having people jump onto random computers they just go use their computer

This is also why we used Citrix. Tellers could log off of their stations, log into another station, and everything was still there. Roaming workstations is a pretty big deal, when it works*.

*Fucking goddamn it when it doesn't.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Yeah, not only is a dumb workstation just fine security-wise (and leaving it to the applications to manage access), it is ideal.

Windows workstation based logins kinda have to get dropped as soon as you're in a high traffic area. Like the Emergency department. That was fun. Doctors don't like waiting more than two seconds to gain access, and that includes the five seconds it takes them to type their password...

OrokosPA.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    We need systems where everyone has their own virtual desktop running on a server, and a bunch of thin clients as workstations. We need cameras running facial recognition software everywhere, tracking user movements, and it just throws the right virtual desktop up on a client when a user walks up to/sits down at a workstation.

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I think I've mentioned it here before, but when I went and opened up a new bank account last year, they signed me up for online banking automatically and told me "your first and last name is your username, the password is NAMEOFBANK1" and I was like... uh... lemme get on my phone and change that right fucking now because woah that is a bad idea.
    I bet they totally used HTTPS for that, huh?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    We need systems where everyone has their own virtual desktop running on a server, and a bunch of thin clients as workstations. We need cameras running facial recognition software everywhere, tracking user movements, and it just throws the right virtual desktop up on a client when a user walks up to/sits down at a workstation.

We were toying with the concept of doctors having ID badges with some sort of scannable RFID thing and they'd scan it at a computer and get their session.

This was back 10+ years ago and nothing like that existed then, or, if it did, it was out of our price range.

Just have it disconnect the current remote session and open a new one based on your RFID, everything would be logged in as the current guest user and handled at the server level.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

We were toying with the concept of doctors having ID badges with some sort of scannable RFID thing and they'd scan it at a computer and get their session.

This was back 10+ years ago and nothing like that existed then, or, if it did, it was out of our price range.

Just have it disconnect the current remote session and open a new one based on your RFID, everything would be logged in as the current guest user and handled at the server level.

I worked at a hospital that had this, exactly.

Wyse dumb terminals running some Windows Embedded that did nothing but load up an interface to connect to a VMWare virtual desktop session

badge in, if it's your first time that day you have to put in your password

rest of the day scanning your badge anywhere just pulls up your virtual machine (if someone else is logged in it drops their session and gets yours)

5 minute timeout and the screen does't just lock, it drops the session and goes back to the login page

it was glorious

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    oh and at the end of every day the VMs were scrapped

it would roll a new one on the fly at your first login in the morning

just a blank slate with your approved apps and your home folder for your documents

no matter how badly they fucked their computers up it would get undone the next day

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    Nowadays with how good facial recognition software has gotten, with cameras everywhere you could just track people. Have them log in with a password to make sure it's really them the first time, and then go. I've actually wanted to do something like that for a home security system as a side project for awhile now.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Issue: <Application> should generate and send emails to an inbox which is checked by <User>. Manual request for said emails is entered. No emails are received.

<User>: The internet is down.

Cog: *rubbing temples* What makes you say that...?

<User>: <Application> isn't sending the emails.

Cog: *Takes mouse, loads webpage* The internet is fine. Maybe call the vendor.

<User>: *Calls vendor*

<Hosted email provider>: *sends text message* Hey our email is 31 flavors of fucked up right now. Email delivery may be sub-optimal.

Cog: Hey <User> the problem is with your email provider. Their email isn't working.

<User>: *Still on phone with vendor* Oh, so the IT guy told me before our internet was fine but I guess it isn't after all.

Cog: ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

• XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Issue: <Application> should generate and send emails to an inbox which is checked by <User>. Manual request for said emails is entered. No emails are received.

<Hosted email provider>: *sends text message* Hey our email is 31 flavors of fucked up right now. Email delivery may be sub-optimal.

Cog: Hey <User> the problem is with your email provider. Their email isn't working.

<User>: *Still on phone with vendor* Oh, so the IT guy told me before our internet was fine but I guess it isn't after all.

<User>: I don't understand big words like email and provider and internet. But he contacted me again after he told me the internet was working, so something must have changed.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Wyse dumb terminals running some Windows Embedded that did nothing but load up an interface to connect to a VMWare virtual desktop session

rest of the day scanning your badge anywhere just pulls up your virtual machine (if someone else is logged in it drops their session and gets yours)

5 minute timeout and the screen does't just lock, it drops the session and goes back to the login page

it was glorious

We are trying to roll out something just like this with VMware Horizon.

It's been a colossal pain in the ass.

We have a handful of USB devices that are necessary for some of our most common positions, and getting those to not only work in VDI but to communicate with their respective apps has been an enormous challenge.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

it was glorious

We have a handful of USB devices that are necessary for some of our most common positions, and getting those to not only work in VDI but to communicate with their respective apps has been an enormous challenge.

I gave up on Horizon, but this was two years ago at this point. Too many issues and not enough expertise or time to do it well.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »

it was glorious

I gave up on Horizon, but this was two years ago at this point. Too many issues and not enough expertise or time to do it well.

It works beautifully as long as we don't try to do anything with USB redirection or if we only do redirection with boring simple shit like flash drives.

Anything fancier and it's a gorram clusterfuck

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    That Windows Update is basically fucked out of the box in a base install for Windows 10 and Server 2012 is very frustrating.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Been down in New Mexico doing a server migration this week.

Yesterday was hellish. The guy who set up their new servers fucked up in so many ways and forgot so many things that I spent the entire day (8am to 8pm) putting out fires.

But! We got it. The bank president (an IT person who can recognize what's going on) took everyone out for dinner and drinks after work. They are super goddamned awesome down here.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Alright, folks. I've got a rather dumb question, potentially. I've got an offline system that I'm grabbing Microsoft updates for. I've got an update scanner that lists KB's for me by number so I can see what I'm missing. When I go check the Microsoft KB site, a given KB bulletin number might have four patches associated with it, a couple exe's and an msu.

I'd prefer to JUST grab the most recent MSU's so I can bulk package them all with a script and apply them to my offline, remote systems. However, I don't really know what I'm missing in terms of navigating and reading WHY there are multiple EXE's and MSU's listed with every update. Anyone able to help me figure that?

What is this I don't even.
    Off the top of my head, 32/64 bit and Itanium versions?

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    if a KB applies to multiple OS versions there could be separate patches for each OS version as well.

4 actually seems kinda low, really. There's a chance that a KB could affect Win7, 8.1, and multiple versions of 10., all needing different versions of the patch Then add in 32 and 64 bit, etc.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    When domains get migrated but the DNS is left on the old registrar may be one of the most annoying things that I see all the fucking time.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    if a KB applies to multiple OS versions there could be separate patches for each OS version as well.

4 actually seems kinda low, really. There's a chance that a KB could affect Win7, 8.1, and multiple versions of 10., all needing different versions of the patch Then add in 32 and 64 bit, etc.
    Some updates are really "Window 8, 8.1, Server 2012, Server 2012 R2" or more.

Most updates apply to OS's from the same generation. 8, 8.1, 2012, 2012 R2 will tend to share updates. Win10 & server 2016. It gets a little bit muddier back in 2008/Win7, but those often shared updates too.

edited October 2017
    Just going to post the more detailed question, though I'd prefer you not quote it in full so this doesn't show up when searching the KB number.

I have a Windows 7 box with .NET on it. When I go digging for my solution, I reference these two pages:

Now. I've got multiple different patches available according to those two pages. I go to the section "April, 2017 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2 on Windows 7" under the catalog page. That offers me four possible patches.

My interpretation is that each of those is a patch which CAN address this issue. The fourth one looks like a big roll-up to me. Can you help me figure out what I'm wrong-thinking, please?

Edited to remove a few things so this doesn't show up in searches for this KB.

Darkewolfe on
    edited October 2017
    kb4014981 is the knowledge base article that contains information about the updates. The catalog page links to downloads for the 4 packages that each address the issue for a different combination of products and operating systems.
    2017-10-24_1014.png

Cog on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I see Cog remembered to read the windows updates install guide.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    edited October 2017
    Alright, yep. It's as plain as that and I've just been slamming my head against it trying to look at it a different way. Thank you.

Also, edited out the specific KB numbers so this doesn't show up in searches for it.

Darkewolfe on
    It doesn't help that in MicrosoftLand, KB numbers are used for both informational articles and the updates themselves.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

What? Users don't understand the difference between the Internet and email?

Welcome to my every fucking day of Internet Customers.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    Off the top of my head, 32/64 bit and Itanium versions?

the Itanium patch doesn't do anything but brick the hardware

it's better this way

I don't think I've ever seen or known anyone who's ever seen an Itanium device. I'm convinced it's a hoax.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Speaking of old hardware, we were digging through our old hardware closet and I found an old Tadpole Sparc laptop.

After seeing the grin on my face, my boss quickly told me I can't use that as the loaner when people break their laptops.

Kakodaimonos on
    That'd be fun to play around with though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Hell yeah it would.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Was in a clients bank this week in New Mexico.

They loaded me up with 2 lbs of green chile relish as a parting gift and I had homemade enchiladas on the last night.

They then offered me a job and if it wasn't New Mexico I'd probably have taken it.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    This bloody Windows 10 machine has been doing "This Device Needs the Latest Security Updates" for 24 hours. It is very frustrating.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I'm of the opinion that cities and states should have departments to handle this stuff without contracting.

The #1 thing that inflates our costs in government spending is because we have so much contracting and you could easily slash budgets in half if you stopped giving billions of dollars to companies to line someone's pocket.

THAT'S SOCIALISM YOU PINKO COMMIE SOVIET PINKO

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I'm of the opinion that cities and states should have departments to handle this stuff without contracting.

The #1 thing that inflates our costs in government spending is because we have so much contracting and you could easily slash budgets in half if you stopped giving billions of dollars to companies to line someone's pocket.

THAT'S SOCIALISM YOU PINKO COMMIE SOVIET PINKO

My friends in IT consulting have all admitted to me that IT consulting is less about actually doing any IT work so much as it is providing political cover for IT managers. They write up reports and recommendations knowing full well they're never going to be implemented, which in turn has encouraged them to write unimplementable reports in the first place, since everybody knows, with a nudge and a wink, that nothing's ever going to change.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

They loaded me up with 2 lbs of green chile relish as a parting gift and I had homemade enchiladas on the last night.

They then offered me a job and if it wasn't New Mexico I'd probably have taken it.

Man what's so bad about Albuquerque?

Man what's so bad about Albuquerque?

the sun is always shining and the air smells like warm root beer
    And the towels are oh so fluffy
    Where the shriners and the lepers play their ukuleles all day long
    And anyone on the street will glady shave your back for a nickel

Hey guys. Fuck Boston.

Hey guys. Fuck Boston.

If you're looking for apartments: yes
    If you're wanting to do things: probably not

This discussion has been closed.