As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [chat] Who Circumnavigated Fairyland

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    That was pretty much what I used but I've kind of moved away from them for right now just for expediency's sake. I'll get back to them at some point. Probably when I get a decent work station set up and can have a good job selection and cleaning stuff. Right now I'm working at a coffee shop so transporting in is... not a good idea.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Im thinking, collective inktober thread?

• BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I'm down

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I've seen a few lists on Insta but nothing grabbed me to the point where I can get enthusiastic about Inktober. Though prob not much could cause pretty down at the moment. Feeling like I want to draw but days are passing without actually doing anything.

edited September 2017
    lmacy843f0zz.png
    I'm gonna die ( I also need help filling those last few spots)

BlindPsychic on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I might not have time for that because I've worked for a good 6 or so hours on drawabox and I'm... still on exercise one

Threads up. Even if you dont fully participate, getting one ink doodle done and throwing it into the thread is cool in my eyes. Its just a fun activity for the art internet at large.

• Red_ArremerRed_Arremer Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I did a ink master study and finishing another ink piece right now, I should put those up. Been working pretty consistently in the Watts/Proko stuff and I'm beginning gouache. I'm pretty excited; I don't like digital as much as traditional by a long shot and I'd like to see if I can replace digital in my workflow with gouache. I replaced the recommended "cad red light" with "flame red" on the advice of another Watts online member.

Red_Arremer on
    Cads are usually the better (more expensive) pigment. Why the flame red? More transparent?

I don't know if I'm really getting this ellipse exercise. maybe I'll feel differently once I finish

edited October 2017
    Cads are usually the better (more expensive) pigment. Why the flame red? More transparent?

According to the other member who's a bit ahead of me in the program, the flame red is cheaper and you can't tell the difference. I'm hoping that's the case and he's not actually colorblind or something.

Red_Arremer on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular

According to the other member who's a bit ahead of me in the program, the flame red is cheaper and you can't tell the difference. I'm hoping that's the case and he's not actually colorblind or something.

Be sure to actually check that against a cadmium red in the brand you're buying (you can take the caps off in the store and see if there's an obvious difference there). Different pigments may mix differently, too, even if the color in the tube appears to match.

IMO, you should always try to opt for the intended pigment if you can. A cheaper pigment may not perform the same, and it's good to learn on quality materials.

Alright, thanks ND, duly noted. I had to buy my tubes online because no stores near me carry the specific colors I needed. Still, the price difference was slim enough I should've just got the cad red. Live and learn.

• When I was at Watts, flame red was what was on the supply list, so I don't think anyone there is going to flip their wig over you using it.

crap, rip my micron

I'm preeetty sure sitting on the floor was what was killing my ellipses

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Flame red makes your paintings go faster.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
    edited October 2017
    okay, instead of putzing around with books today I was in the museum itself because there are a bunch of bronze art pieces in it working on observation, then building up the form. it went pretty well, it's nice having a real object to look at and work from

but it rained the whole time I was doing this and my car window was down so I had a wet ride home

Jars on
    When I was at Watts, flame red was what was on the supply list, so I don't think anyone there is going to flip their wig over you using it.

Nice, thanks aob.
    gavindel wrote: »
    Flame red makes your paintings go faster.

I'll have to test it out by chucking them across the room when I'm finished.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    So I'm actually really enjoying Inktober so far. I'm starting to loosen up a little and not focus so much on my mistakes, just producing something and putting it out there.

I found a wash pen I'm going to try and use at somepoint. Can't find any white ink pens though? You'd think micron would have a white pen to go along with their reds, blues, purples and greens but nah man. Sol on white.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    So I'm actually really enjoying Inktober so far. I'm starting to loosen up a little and not focus so much on my mistakes, just producing something and putting it out there.

I found a wash pen I'm going to try and use at somepoint. Can't find any white ink pens though? You'd think micron would have a white pen to go along with their reds, blues, purples and greens but nah man. Sol on white.

I've seen some at staples, but they're not art pens so much as normal writing pens (I've seen gel ones though).

Looks like you can order a whole buttload of them on this website though:

https://www.jetpens.com/blog/guide-to-white-ink-pens/pt/340

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    jetpens is gr9, I think I buy just about anything I don't get from my friendly local art store through them

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Looking for Special_Olympics art I found a chat thread from 2012 that is FANTASTIC. I wish this corner of the forums was more active.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    phew these box exercises are exhausting. I haven't gotten to the rotated one yet which looks pretty imposing

I have amassed 18 pages of this stuff, is it worth doing an upload dump or anything because that is starting to be almost as daunting a task as the exercises themselves

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Looking for Special_Olympics art I found a chat thread from 2012 that is FANTASTIC. I wish this corner of the forums was more active.

Me too man, webforums are no match for the tumblords and instamagrams.

dumped everything in my thread, if anyone wants to look through 30 images of lines ellipses and boxes

I have screens, inks, and a stack of paper. I really need to get off my ass at try to pull a run of prints. I'm like afraid to start? It's weird.

I've always wanted to try screen printing but I dont feel like I have the space. I did enjoy the few woodblock prints I tried a year or so ago, though.

If you have the means, you should start! Its great to work with different media.

Yeah I have this and 3 boxes of inks sitting in my garage right now.

ndTkrutl.jpg

I don't know if I will have space for an exposure/reclamation unit but I'm hoping I can find a local shop that could at least do the power washing for me.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    So jealous, I LOVED screen printing in high school.

I can already tell my first attempt at dissection is going to be absolutely horrible

I can't tell if my drawing technique is off or not. I don't use my wrist, but I use my elbow a lot drawing from right to left and it works alright so maybe I'm overthinking things or maybe it's all wrong cause I can't draw vertical lines worth a damn

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Turn your paper so that the line you are drawing follows your arm's most consistently straight and comfortable trajectory.

Since the whole "hire an artist" thread is pretty out of date, I thought I'd post here. I'm looking for some concept/character/card type art for an app I'm building. We're starting to move fast so I'm looking for multiple artists. I have had nothing but positive experiences using PA forum artists in the past and would like to continue. Shoot me a pm if you're actively looking for illustration work.

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'm burned out at work, it's been a particularly demanding couple of months at work, but I can't help but feel like I'd rather do any other job right now. My company offers tuition assistance which I'm seriously considering using to set up an IT career. I'm not sure what kind of IT job is good though, I want something where I go out and do physical work sometimes, like a network guy I guess.

I've felt burned out before, but this time it feels different. Anyone else ever feel like this?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I feel burned out all the time, I constantly ask myself if I should throw in the towel for a few years and do manual labor like electrician or carpentry (I'm a software dev).

Network person is probably one of the more physical jobs in IT.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Maybe I'm burned out at work, it's been a particularly demanding couple of months at work, but I can't help but feel like I'd rather do any other job right now. My company offers tuition assistance which I'm seriously considering using to set up an IT career. I'm not sure what kind of IT job is good though, I want something where I go out and do physical work sometimes, like a network guy I guess.

I've felt burned out before, but this time it feels different. Anyone else ever feel like this?

I've definitely felt burned out in that way before. If you can take a long vacation, I find that helps quite a bit.

At one point I felt so burned out and miserable that I wasn't sure if I could keep doing art. I felt like I needed to do something drastic, and do some manual labor rather than art for a year (so, similar feelings to yours!). Instead, I ended up (not entirely intentionally!) taking a year off from "producing art for somebody else", and I felt so much better and reinvigorated afterwards. Obviously that's hardly an option for most people, but it did teach me that I very strongly needed a change in scenery to feel like I could go back into commercial art again.

The tuition assistance thing sounds like a great plan, actually. You'll be able to work at the same time, which means you'll still have money coming in, and you'll be able to pursue this new direction on the side. Personally I'd say go for it! :) Sounds like there's nothing to really lose, here. If it turns out you don't really like it, you can always look into doing something else.

Also I forget if the forums don't actually send notifications if you just edit a post, so here's a new post with @MagicToaster included. :P

For those of you on CC, There's a few good reasons to actually update Photoshop to 2018:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Good things:
    -Kyle's Brushes inside photoshop! Actually in the brush panel instead of tools!
    -Real symmetry tools! REAL ONES!!
    -Lazy Nezumi style smoothing
    -Folders for your brushes, better panel in general.
    -Better upscaling

??? things
    - Still no perspective rulers as far as I can see. I guess Lazy Nezumi still has that going for it.
    - Kyles Brushes still all have his damn name in front of them, which drives me crazy, so I'll be spending a night renaming them all goddamnit
    - The symmetry is a tool, but there doesn't appear to be a canvas option for it, something that Krita has. So repeating patterns might still be a pain.

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Just cracked my next ream of newsprint paper. That marks 2000 pages of newsprint since I started on this "totally serious this time guys I mean it seriously stop laughing" crack at drawing.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora