As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Gifted - An X-Men-Ass X-Men Show

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I really do like this show's version of Thunderbird

he fits in with an archetype I like of the dude who is superstrong and nigh-invincible and because of that is like... really chill and responsible and feels the need to protect others and make sure other people aren't hurt?

(see also: Superman, Luke Cage)

like the confrontation with the lynch mob was explicitly one where between Eclipse, Thunderbird, and the Strucker twins they could have probably taken them down

but not without dropping bodies and John makes that explicitly clear

and even though those guys are a bunch of assholes, they don't deserve to fucking die and they don't need the heat on them of murdering people

John called Dreamer and demanded a solution that didn't involve getting people killed

between that and his interactions with Blink and how he immediately calls Dreamer out about the fucked up thing she did, John is an all around solid dude

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the gifted basically is a reminder, to me, about how special the x-men line was to me growing up

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Hey can we at least spoiler the latest episode stuff please.

Like, this is all real good stuff, but I'd like to experience it fresh.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

he fits in with an archetype I like of the dude who is superstrong and nigh-invincible and because of that is like... really chill and responsible and feels the need to protect others and make sure other people aren't hurt?

like the confrontation with the lynch mob was explicitly one where between Eclipse, Thunderbird, and the Strucker twins they could have probably taken them down

and even though those guys are a bunch of assholes, they don't deserve to fucking die and they don't need the heat on them of murdering people

John called Dreamer and demanded a solution that didn't involve getting people killed

between that and his interactions with Blink and how he immediately calls Dreamer out about the fucked up thing she did, John is an all around solid dude

Yeahhhh....
    They didn't deserve to die up until they started pointing guns at the people telling them to piss off. Then, of course, they start shooting after being spared.

Fuck those guys.

The mutants are being backed into a corner where dropping bodies is going to be required. They are so fucked.

It's a viscous cycle of entertainment.

• Options
    yes well I am quite sure your punisher avatar says what you think in applications of lethal force to "bad people" my fellow

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Hey can we at least spoiler the latest episode stuff please.

Like, this is all real good stuff, but I'd like to experience it fresh.

Yeah, please spoiler things for those of us who aren't watching the show live

• Options
    This is reasonable and I will do so going forward

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Episode 3:
    I don't truck with Mind Control and False Memories, even for good reason.

She better undo that shit fast.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Episode 3:
    I don't truck with Mind Control and False Memories, even for good reason.

She better undo that shit fast.
    The show is, at least so far, portraying what Dreamer did as incredibly fucked up.

As long as they maintain that, there's some interesting shit to be explored there.

• Options
    My opinion re that
    change wizards to telepaths and this is how I feel about telepaths in the X-Men universe

20081015.gif

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    My husband was thrilled last episode because maybe ten minutes after he mentioned that he could have sworn that in the comics Polaris had green hair, Polaris in the show washed the black dye out of her green hair.

Oh, thanks for this. I could tell from the shower reactions that her hair was going to be some sort of odd color, but it just looked brown to me. Stupid color deficiency.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

Man, I don't consume superhero media for the promise of people not enacting brutal violence against hordes of overconfident chumps.

(This sentiment is only about half serious.)

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    I don't think anyone in this show has made any claim to being a hero

• Options
    my biggest hope is that blink gets a new shirt

i'm always sad when i see the beat up one she has currently

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So far I like literally all of the main cast

Andy is a little grating but that's intentional

Everyone else is supremely watchable and entertaining

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    My wife is like "I don't know if I can handle how accurately written these teenagers are. I hate teenagers. These kids are too accurate. Andy is infuriating in a way that is believable and it's raising my blood pressure."

Pony on
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    This is still very good and is remaining grounded. People are generally behaving like real people (with a bit of drama), which makes the message that much stronger. I haven't had any complaints yet.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    My husband was thrilled last episode because maybe ten minutes after he mentioned that he could have sworn that in the comics Polaris had green hair, Polaris in the show washed the black dye out of her green hair.

Oh, thanks for this. I could tell from the shower reactions that her hair was going to be some sort of odd color, but it just looked brown to me. Stupid color deficiency.

My only issue is that
    ...even after the shower, she's got a lot of makeup on for being in prison. Is "vaguely gothy" one of her secondary mutations?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    templewulf wrote: »

My only issue is that
    ...even after the shower, she's got a lot of makeup on for being in prison. Is "vaguely gothy" one of her secondary mutations?
    that's a very "television" thing

TV ladies always got they make up on even when that don't make sense?

My wife joked "so do they let her keep her Sephora bag in prison or...?"

Very, very rarely in TV will you see a lady done up like she proper ain't got make up on, even rarer when its supposed to be a character that is being portrayed as attractive

That said they could've made Polaris' shit a little more understated because yeah, she's supposed to be in prison not at a Bauhaus cover band concert

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I like that there are in-world commercials during the Hulu commercial breaks for this show. Cuts down on ads that I would otherwise dislike.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I've been quite enjoying this show.

Been watching with the GF and after episode 3 she said "This show makes me so mad but I really like it. Everybody keeps doing dumb things that are super frustrating but real people would also be doing dumb things and I just want to see more."

She yells at the screen like 5 times an episode.

Been a good time so far. I feel like it's one of those shows that SHOULD get progressively better as the characters get more fleshed since there is a large cast and that can bog down early episodes for a lot of shows.

• Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    I like that there are in-world commercials during the Hulu commercial breaks for this show. Cuts down on ads that I would otherwise dislike.

Wait, what? Has having Hulu ad-free negatively impacted me here?

• Options
    I've only seen one. It was after the very first episode.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »

Wait, what? Has having Hulu ad-free negatively impacted me here?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXYg3BLJIyk

edit: Apparently there's a couple of them, with a different mutant at the end. I've only seen the one with Eclipse.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Episode 4:
    So it looks like they're dragging out the dreamer implanted memory thing in precisely the way I hoped they wouldn't.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Episode 4:
    So it looks like they're dragging out the dreamer implanted memory thing in precisely the way I hoped they wouldn't.

I dunno?
    It seems like Blink might realize it's a fake memory, and might realize Dreamer put it in her head.

So they might do Blink vs Dreamer, but John did tell Dreamer "don't do it, it always ends bad"

Other ep 4 stuff
    I really like Eclipse. The juxtaposition of his scene in the club showing he's against the mob torture vs him carrying a gun to the fight with Sentinel because he might need it was some good characterization

• Options
    Hhahahaha
    "Shoot to kill" What do you think has been happening, idiot?

Rest was fine. Except just tell her already, yeah.

• Options
    John's in a rough spot
    Dreamer has suggested that, with time, it might just "go away on its own" and fade and if he just leaves it alone, the fake memories she gave Blink will just fade. She's already had at least one conflict where she asked John "Hey... did we..." and he's like "NOPE" and she's like "...huh, right, yeah...." and dismissed it so, y'know... it.... should be fine! Right?!

But John still isn't happy about it and still knows it's morally wrong and fucked up, but Dreamer's not necessarily incorrect that if either of them actually tell Clarice what Dreamer did, Clarice might freak out and fucking bail since bailing the fuck out is not only her psychological reflex, it's basically her super-power.

And I mean, jesus, she baaaaarely trusts these people, learning they psychically roofied her to suit their own needs would send her running for the fucking hills and that wouldn't necessarily be good for her or anyone.

John knows that, which is why he doesn't argue the point with Dreamer.

Dreamer is not a good person.

Telepaths! No sense of right and wrong!

• Options
    Dreamer:
    was in a tough spot too. It was do it or they die (or as good as). She's a fine person. I'd have done it too.

I'd have just told her by now (before she was needed again, I'd have waited too now).

• Options
    One of the things this show does well with mutants that is very true to the comics is they tend to develop a bit of "hammer vision"

Where all they have is a hammer, so all they see is nails.

The more narrow or potent a mutant's power is, the more they're going to develop a tendency to lean on that power as a solution to most of their problems and consider that power a solution to a lot of conflicts.

A guy who can shoot lasers is going to develop an instinct for how he can solve a problem by shooting lasers at it. Someone who can teleport will start to see things in terms of how they can use that to fix a situation.

This is actually the reason why in the X-Men comics, Cyclops actually becomes a highly trained martial artist and keeps himself in top physical shape. He doesn't actually need to do that to use his optic blasts; honestly he could be kind of a paunchy dude who couldn't throw a punch and be just as effective as Beams-From-My-Eyes-Man. But then that's all he can do. Then all he has is a hammer, and that hammer is pretty severe. He learns other skills and has other tools specifically to prevent being in a situation where all he can ever do is eyebeam the fuck out of things.

In this show, a lot of the characters are not nearly at that level of experience, training, or comfort with their powers or themselves to be aware this is a potential problem. They don't see leaning on their abilities all the time as a problem; indeed, it's how they've survived in many cases.

But it does mean sometimes some of them are a little quick on the draw with that stuff because it's the only card they have in the deck. That can go... bad and we're starting to see why.

• Options
    Except that doesn't apply to this situation unless you spin it out so they avoided the entire situation or there was some other method to solve it. As presented it was the right call, no hammer vision or anything else.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    The Gifted, starring an abandoned warehouse surrounded by law enforcement

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Keith wrote: »
    The Gifted, starring an abandoned warehouse surrounded by law enforcement

Also, a substantial amount of rebar.
    How do you go about explaining that to your insurance people?

see317 on
  • Options
    Memory shenanigans.
    Not even once.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Finally got around to watching these week's episode
    what they do to Jace is enormously fucked

it wasn't intentional, Dreamer specifically shouts that she can't leave him like that and it was a result of her mind probe being interrupted

But the end result is monstrous

Jace will hate all of them forever and I completely understand why, God knows I would

Also that was some fucking TV-ass medicine wrt to the dude who got shot

Fun fact: there are no circumstances under which "we have to get the bullet out" is an urgent part of the medical emergency of someone being shot.

Never.

Thinking this way literally kills people and historically has done so.

Bullets aren't made of fucking uranium (except when they... are but that's a war crime and besides the point), when someone has gotten shot the emergency is the damage the bullet has done.

If a bullet is lodged in someone, it doesn't actually do anything. In fact, many people who survive getting shot go on to have bullets or pieces of bullets in their bodies for months and sometimes years. The damage is done. Bullets don't continue to drill into people or cut them up inside or something after they have been shot. They do not have magical anti-coagulant powers that will cause a person to endlessly bleed unless you get the bullet out.

There are incredibly rare edge cases where a bullet might be lodged in a place you don't want it staying,
    but the last thing you do in that case is emergency surgery in a non-sterile environment and shit and for God's sake never just jam something into the entry wound to dig it out. There are no levels on which that is how medicine works.

None of this is unique to The Gifted, it's just one of those "TV writers don't know how guns work" things. A person getting shot in the gut is an incredibly serious and imminent emergency that often does require immediate surgery, but none of the reasons why have to do with the bullet being in there.

Meaning, you can still have that scene, still have that drama, still have the neat bit of Lauren holding an artery closed with her powers, but without hack stupid writing because either you don't know how shit works or you think the audience won't.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

it wasn't intentional, Dreamer specifically shouts that she can't leave him like that and it was a result of her mind probe being interrupted

Jace will hate all of them forever and I completely understand why, God knows I would

Fun fact: there are no circumstances under which "we have to get the bullet out" is an urgent part of the medical emergency of someone being shot.

Never.

Bullets aren't made of fucking uranium (except when they... are but that's a war crime and besides the point), when someone has gotten shot the emergency is the damage the bullet has done.

If a bullet is lodged in someone, it doesn't actually do anything. In fact, many people who survive getting shot go on to have bullets or pieces of bullets in their bodies for months and sometimes years. The damage is done. Bullets don't continue to drill into people or cut them up inside or something after they have been shot. They do not have magical anti-coagulant powers that will cause a person to endlessly bleed unless you get the bullet out.

There are incredibly rare edge cases where a bullet might be lodged in a place you don't want it staying,
    but the last thing you do in that case is emergency surgery in a non-sterile environment and shit and for God's sake never just jam something into the entry wound to dig it out. There are no levels on which that is how medicine works.

None of this is unique to The Gifted, it's just one of those "TV writers don't know how guns work" things. A person getting shot in the gut is an incredibly serious and imminent emergency that often does require immediate surgery, but none of the reasons why have to do with the bullet being in there.

Meaning, you can still have that scene, still have that drama, still have the neat bit of Lauren holding an artery closed with her powers, but without hack stupid writing because either you don't know how shit works or you think the audience won't.
    My headcannon on the whole thing about digging the bullet out was, she just didnt know that. Shes a nurse, and as far as i know there has been no mention of her studying to be a doctor. She made a stupid guess made out of ignorance (or lack of knowledge) and she has stated a few times she isnt a doctor.
    I saw it as she made a mistake and it immediately had potentially fatal consequences. If this had been a non mutant situation, dude would be dead.

Thats my take anyway.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options

Never.

My headcannon on the whole thing about digging the bullet out was, she just didnt know that. Shes a nurse, and as far as i know there has been no mention of her studying to be a doctor. She made a stupid guess made out of ignorance (or lack of knowledge) and she has stated a few times she isnt a doctor.
    I saw it as she made a mistake and it immediately had potentially fatal consequences. If this had been a non mutant situation, dude would be dead.

Thats my take anyway.
    this is actually kind of insulting to nurses and their training

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    well im sorry!

Now i have to apologize to my friend.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    OK, i talked to her, here is the convo |

Me: karen would you pull a bullet out of a person who was bleeding out?
    as a nurse

Me: if there were no doctors around

Karen : Depends on where it was

Me: abdomen

Me: Wait, are you watching gifted
    i shoulda started with that

Karen: Oh
    yea, no

Devlin_Dragonus on

• Options

Never.

Thats my take anyway.
    this is actually kind of insulting to nurses and their training

Yes, it absolutely is.
    I'm not a nurse. I'm not a doctor. My college education is in law enforcement so, to be fair, I know a bit more about guns and what they do to people than most folk

but that said, I have no specific formal medical training beyond HCP-tier First Aid, the rest I know from life experience and autodidactic learning

and yet somehow I know these things

Caitlin would know these things as a nurse, because she's not just any kind of nurse she is a nurse who actively worked in a hospital (the first episode she's in scrubs for cryin' out loud)

For me, this is just an unrealism of TV, it's a TV Thing. It's an incredibly annoying TV thing that I actually think is kinda societally harmful because it has literally resulted in people causing deaths to "get the bullet out" on shot people who otherwise probably would have survived. Boy howdy I got some fun stories about that kind of thing (they're not actually fun)

It's not going to ruin a show for me, but it definitely makes my brain frown especially because for fuck's sake I've written TV and I can tell you how you could very easily still have more or less the same scene with the same intrinsic dramas just by knowing some of this shit as a writer. Gut shots are bad, they're very fucking bad, they're basically the third worst place to get shot after the head or the heart. You could do all the drama they did more or less the same while also, you know, having actual facts about why being shot in the gut is so horrid and not contribute to a dangerous TV myth that gets people killed.

In a show with superpowers and shit, it can be easy (and lazy) to think it's weird to call out and get all jimmy-rustled about this kind of unreal absurdity but someone who can tear holes in space doesn't bug me. But the thing is, that a person can bonker someone's memory with their telepathic memory breath doesn't break my suspension of disbelief, because that's a core conceit of the show. Mutants exist, superpowers are real, they blatantly defy the laws of physics and reality.

Cool, no problem.

The key is if that's the show's only major conceit from reality, then everything else kinda has to make an internal kind of sense? Cars drive on wheels, fish swim in water, and gunshots work like gunshots.