As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Resident Evil 4 was a good game

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    RubberAC wrote: »
    I still don't know why i picked it up for Steam, I really can't manage to play it all again again again again again.
    The supernatural power of Steam Sales?
    I even bought 0 and 6 on there (neither of which I've ever played, or ever expect to play) because they were So Damn Cheap.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    RubberAC wrote: »
    I still don't know why i picked it up for Steam, I really can't manage to play it all again again again again again.
    The supernatural power of Steam Sales?
    I even bought 0 and 6 on there (neither of which I've ever played, or ever expect to play) because they were So Damn Cheap.

0 is supposed to be pretty great, and 6, well, 6 can be fun played local co-op with a friend.

I read an LP of 0 which pointed out the reality bending requirements of the setting:
    (train goes for miles from the initial search area, crashes somewhere with some kind of link to RE2 I think, elevator then leads to a mansion within walking distance of the original mansion, which is close enough to the initial search area)

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Well shit, if reality is what you want then the Resident Evil series is definitely not for you.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I think 6 is a lot of fun on Easy and if you focus on melee a lot. And the second time I played it (yep, bought it twice) I followed a suggested episode order, and it really helped keep the story straight.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    6 is just the Mercenaries mode with some bullshit over the top action movie writing periodically sprinkled through

It's not as good as the other games, but it's still pretty fun

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I read an LP of 0 which pointed out the reality bending requirements of the setting:
    (train goes for miles from the initial search area, crashes somewhere with some kind of link to RE2 I think, elevator then leads to a mansion within walking distance of the original mansion, which is close enough to the initial search area)

Nah the Train is a private Umbrella line and it crashes at a facility near the spencer mansion. A dam of some kind iirc

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I'm all about the special moves and strategic use of melee in RE 5. 6's floaty gun mechanics and changes to the melee system turned me off quite a bit. Also, it's friggin' long.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

Nah the Train is a private Umbrella line and it crashes at a facility near the spencer mansion. A dam of some kind iirc

There's a bit though where you go down an elevator and it spits you out in the research lab the back half of RE2 takes place in. Which is within Raccoon City itself, below a train yard.

That train also is going at a pretty fast pace, and you're on it for quite a while. But when Rebecca and Billy escape at the end they're still within easy walking distance of the Spencer estate.

It's not some horrible thing or nothing but that game definitely doesn't make sense geographically.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Resident Evil manages to somehow have the biggest cast of one-off characters ever I think:

Sheva
    Billy
    Steve Burside
    Barry (up until recently)
    MIKE
    Forrest
    Excella
    Leon's partner in 6
    Jack

For series with so much continuity it's running damn close to Sonic the Hedgehog levels of "...and here's my new friends!" in every game.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Yeah... I miss Wesker. I think I'm going to go look up videos of his best lines. I've got obligations today, so unfortunately I can only watch clips for... 7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare.

I'm all about the special moves and strategic use of melee in RE 5. 6's floaty gun mechanics and changes to the melee system turned me off quite a bit. Also, it's friggin' long.

I didn't mind the changes to the gameplay or the four separate but intersecting storylines played through individually. What I did mind were the multi-stage boss fights that went on for WAY too long. There were parts where I was like "oh for fucks sake I just killed this guy twice already, I am actually bored right now" and turned the game off.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Hope that's not
    Chris' blood

Xaquin wrote: »
    Hope that's not
    Chris' blood

We almost had a Jill sandwich!

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    RE6 is the best controlling third person shooter to date.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png

I don't play many shooters, especially not third person shooters (RE4, RE5, and RE6 might actually be the only ones), but yeah once I adjusted to the control changes from 5, they were fluid and responsive and highly adaptable.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

Vanquishhhhhhh
    (RE6 is real good though)

Rainfall on

I don't play many shooters, especially not third person shooters (RE4, RE5, and RE6 might actually be the only ones), but yeah once I adjusted to the control changes from 5, they were fluid and responsive and highly adaptable.

I found the handling paradoxically limiting. It's been a while, but from what I can recall, the enemies got a corresponding boost in agility. That was combined with super inconsistent stagger mechanics and a lack of invincibility frames. I could have been wrong, but it seemed like that stuff added up to make positioning and crowd control tactics much less useful than just pouring on damage and hoping nothing got within reach.

All this RE 5 talk reminded me that Wesker's voice actor made some goofy unofficial voicemail clips.

youtube
    download

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »

Vanquishhhhhhh
    (RE6 is real good though)

Vanquish is the entire reason that Resident Evil 4 isn't still my favorite third person shooter

God

God I love Vanquish

dN0T6ur.png
  • President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Resident Evil manages to somehow have the biggest cast of one-off characters ever I think:

Sheva
    Billy
    Steve Burside
    Barry (up until recently)
    MIKE
    Forrest
    Excella
    Leon's partner in 6
    Jack

Carlos
    Josh
    Moira Burton
    Ethan/Mia
    Jake
    Piers
    Ark Thompson
    Bruce McGivern
    Those dopes from Revelations

All playable characters!

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I remember hating how RE6 felt to play, in the demo

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    If a Resident Evil game is available on PS4 I own it

So RE2 is next up to be HD right? Think theyll give it the remake treatment or at least include the N64 extra content?

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Did they ever reveal what the fuck happened to Rebecca?

Quire.jpg

It's canon that she survived the mansion I think but after that its sketchy

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    RE6 felt pretty janky imo, but i did appreciate how much effort they went to making the melee and quick shot stuff look really nice, jake's dumb running palm strikes and Helena's wrestling finishers in particular were a highlight

also a friend described the plot as "someone's Ada Wong cosplay fetish went too far and now the president is dead", which, like, yeah

So RE2 is next up to be HD right? Think theyll give it the remake treatment or at least include the N64 extra content?
    Wasn't a proper RE2 remake announced, or did I just dream that?

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    This thread made me buy RE4 for like the fifth time or something.

That's cool though.

Diarmuid on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Wasn't a proper RE2 remake announced, or did I just dream that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcW6W-xVl-8

WE DO IT

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

She's in the latest game canon CG animated movie.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    TrippyJing wrote: »

She's in the latest game canon CG animated movie.

ah you mean Jon Wick plus zombies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvMWEsejG2Q

edit: DIRTY DEEDS

Grey Ghost on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    you guys remember umbrella chronicles?

no?

good

• President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    So one of my personal "projects" over the last year was to platinum every current version of every Resident Evil currently available on PS4. I've knocked out 5, 6, 7, & Umbrella Corps (yeah, yeah, I know) and I've got 0, Code Veronica, and both Revelations games sitting in my backlog staring me in the face. I last left off halfway through REmake before real life caught up and I had to stop (think I only have the 'no saves' and 'save Barry/Rebecca only' trophies left). Anywho, one of the caveats to this madness was that, in an effort to see this stupid thing through, I promised myself I would only focus on one game at a time before starting the next.

But, as the kids say, fuck it; I'm totally gonna boot up RE4 tonight.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    This thread made me buy RE4 for like the fifth time or something.

That's cool though.

You're welcome

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Boy, this sure crashes a lot on Steam.

b1ehrMM.gif

There's 2 pc versions iirc the first one is shit. The ultimate edition is the good one

There's 2 pc versions iirc the first one is shit. The ultimate edition is the good one

That is the version I'm playing. It crashed twice in 30 minutes.

b1ehrMM.gif
    Hmm. It's been 100% stable for me through almost a dozen playthroughs. I'm on Win8.1 with an intel CPU and nvidia GPU.