As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twilight Imperium: 4th edition - Game #1: And they're off!

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I should have the arborec trade agreement note on my board

Spend five trade goods and claim Negotiate Trade Routes

And let's remember the debts to be cashed in when we reach the agenda round:
    Preda: you owe me a trade good for having a free commodity refresh.
    Brody: you owe me your political secret note for a free commodity refresh.

I'm happy to add 1:1 commodity exchanges to either of those (I've got four to move).

Also my racial promissory note will be back up for sale.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Found this podcast discussing Twilight Imperium topics. I thought it was pretty interesting.

https://spacecatspeaceturtles.podbean.com/

I especially love the episode entirely about dumping on the Yin!

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    MrBody wrote: »
    Found this podcast discussing Twilight Imperium topics. I thought it was pretty interesting.

https://spacecatspeaceturtles.podbean.com/

I especially love the episode entirely about dumping on the Yin!

It's interesting to hear some pretty different points of view on this. I agree with them on the diplomacy card effectively have two distinct uses though, and it being really unlikely you'll get to both lock people out and refresh planets and it being super annoying that the secondary is better

That said: All of them keep calling the Federation of Sol the Federation of Soul. Maybe this is an in joke for them but it's pretty irritating.

Edit: Their inability to grasp how to play the Yin is baffling. I wonder if they're being deliberately obtuse

Mojo_Jojo on
    Most people think it's meant to be short for "Solar" so they pronounce it that way. More common than people who know it's for the Roman god pronounced "Saul".

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I claim Develop Weaponry.

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    That said: All of them keep calling the Federation of Sol the Federation of Soul. Maybe this is an in joke for them but it's pretty irritating.

It's space, it's Sol - ergo, it's the word for our sun, which is pronounced with a long O, like the Spanish sol or the French soleil.

Elvenshae wrote: »

It's space, it's Sol - ergo, it's the word for our sun, which is pronounced with a long O, like the Spanish sol or the French soleil.

Pronounced "saul" in that context.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/sol?s=t

That podcast just pointed out something I think we've been screwing up. Or at least something I'd not noticed and has a pretty important impact that makes the construction secondary quite a bit worse

The construction secondary is to take a strategy token and place it on the board in the system where you build your PDS/space dock. So you're blocking the system from any of your own ship movements and further activations

That podcast just pointed out something I think we've been screwing up. Or at least something I'd not noticed and has a pretty important impact that makes the construction secondary quite a bit worse

The construction secondary is to take a strategy token and place it on the board in the system where you build your PDS/space dock. So you're blocking the system from any of your own ship movements and further activations

Oh, damn. So it does.

I'm wondering if you can do it in a system that you've already activated?

edited October 2017
    Weirdly you can (even though it seems obvious that you can't given how the rules generally work)

After the active player resolves the primary ability of the
    “Construction” strategy card, each other player, beginning
    with the player to the left of the active player and proceeding
    clockwise, may place one command token from his strategy
    pool in any system. If he already has a command token in
    that system, the spent token is returned to his reinforcements

instead. Then, he places either one PDS or one space dock on a
    planet he controls in that system.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • PredaPreda Registered User regular
    No claim. Add one counter each to Tactics and Stategic, since that's what's next.

That podcast just pointed out something I think we've been screwing up.

I hadn't been screwing it up. It's one reason why I didn't bother trying to reinforce Mecatol Rex last turn, since I couldn't activate it and send things there. Other people might have, though.

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's why I took Construction during this round of play: the potential activation of the Bereg-Lirta IV system via the Construction secondary was causing me planning issues in Round 2.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Looking back I don't think I ever made an illegal move because of this but it was pure luck

I almost assuredly moved wrong this turn.

Final Stage I Public Objective

Erect a Monument- Spend 8 resources (1 VP)

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    @MrBody

Just noticed a mistake in my units the map: the Cruiser that is in Quann should instead be in Oucen'n/Rarron. (I moved the cruiser from Quann to Corneeo/Resculon, but you seem to have moved the cruiser from Oucen'n/Rarron instead).

So, Quann should have a Carrier + Dreadnought, and Oucen'n/Rarron should have a Cruiser + Destroyer.

Fixing

Action cards dealt

Choose command token allocation & redistribuion

edited October 2017
    One tactics and two strategy, please

Takes me to 3/4/2

Mojo_Jojo on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    1 Token in Tactics, 1 Token in Fleet, bringing me two 2/4/0

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    One token in strategy, one token in tactics, taking me to 1/4/1 overall.

edited October 2017
    +1 Tactics, +1 Strategy

Elvenshae on
    Allocate one counter to each of Tactic pool and Fleet pool. (TP 1 --> 2, FP 3 --> 4)

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Also, y'all - just an advisory, but work is sucking balls this week and most of next. I will probably be slow to respond to things. Apologies in advance.

Switch over to the shaft then.

I confirm 1 tactic and 1 Strategy for T1/F4/S2.
    Also discard "Intercept- Play when your opponent declares a retreat during combat. They cannot retreat that round." due to hand limit.

@MrBody That makes it time for agendas!

Vote totals (given my counting track record, somebody may want to check these)
    MrBlarney / L1Z1X 10
    Elvenshae / Creuss 13
    Mojo / Jol Narr 13 (can't vote less than 2)
    Hedgethorn / Arborec 14
    Brody / Letnev 8
    Preda / Winnu 12

And agendas mean trading! So make offers for my promissory note

Preda are you happy to do 2:2 commodities on top of giving me the one you owe me this round?

edited October 2017
    I'm interested, but not so happy to. If @Hedgethorn is interested, I prefear to excange with him.
    On the other side, depending on the agenda, I'm willing to sell either my votes or my abstention.

Preda on
    I think there aren't many of us actually holding any commodities due to Creuss managing to hoover up three sets during that last trade phase

I think there aren't many of us actually holding any commodities due to Creuss managing to hoover up three sets during that last trade phase
    Only me, you and Hedgethorn. Witch is why I prefear to trade with him. You're so much ahead that I prefear to not give you extra resources. But I will surely excange it with you if he doesn't. On the other hand, specially if you can't excange your commodities and have them for bribes, I have MUCH to offer on an agenda vote...

edited October 2017
    Hmm. I may be wrong but I don't think Hedgethorn has any despite what his player board shows. Creuss had and used his trade agreement note this round

Mojo_Jojo on
    You're right, We're the only one left with commodities. I'm ok with 2 for 2.

Round 3- Agenda Phase

coruscant-1088x816.jpg

1st agenda

Committee Formation- Law
    Elect Player
    The elected player gains this card.
    Before players vote on an agenda to elect a player, the owner of this card may choose a player to become elected instead.

Brody
    Preda
    MrBlarney
    Elvenshae
    Mojo
    Hedgethorn **Speaker**

@Brody
    @Preda
    @MrBlarney
    @Elvenshae
    @Mojo_Jojo
    @Hedgethorn

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Give my Political Secret Promissory Note to @Mojo_Jojo

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    edited October 2017
    I'll pay a commodity to the first two players who give me six or more votes on this.

Exchange two commodities for three of Preda's (two from the deal we agreed plus the debt from the earlier refresh)

Mojo_Jojo on
    Brody wrote: »
    Give my Political Secret Promissory Note to Mojo_Jojo

Thank you.

Hmm, so out of the deck of fifty Agendas, fifteen are "Elect Player" (30%). Among those fifteen, nine are strictly positive for the elected player, five are mostly positive, and one is strictly negative. So this agenda's probably gonna be good for something later in the game. I dunno how much I feel like gambling on getting this one.

Hey, @Mojo_Jojo, you want my votes for your racial promissory note? I'm not gonna give six votes for just one commodity.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    @MrBlarney Are you sure you want to help Mojo get further into the lead?

How about I buy your votes to elect me for this one.

@Hedgethorn Are you interested in selling your votes to me, as well?