As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] 1+1=Cyriss is calculating... calculating... seven! And you're dead.

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Because PP hates Trollbloods players in Journeyman Leagues.

Also, more probably, because of how expensive their Light Warbeasts are, it makes it difficult to fit in anything other than the Earthborn Dire Troll along with two lights and still be around 30ish points.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Does anyone know why the Troll box has three lights instead of two and a heavy?

because fuck you that's why

• MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    There’s supposedly going to be a PDF with the rules up soon.

This was what I wanted to hear. Thank you!

Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to make up for that fact?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I think there was a alternate Troll JMan list for leagues that has a heavy, wasn’t there? I think it involved Doomshaper.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah. If Journeyman lists are what you're looking at there are alternate starters for every faction, and Trolls includes a heavy.

Yeah. Just heard recently that my friends managed to get a game in, PoM vs Trollbloods, and I guess Trolls lost pretty bad, and I wasn't sure if maybe it was struggling due to the lack of a heavier option.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Journeyman 2017 document from PP only have alternative battlegroups for Mercs and Minions (and a single battlegroup for CoC and Grymkin). Everyone else is expected to use the current battlegroup starter box.

The older (Mark 2) document had alternatives for all, I think.

edited October 2017
    Oh hey, a Humble RPG Book Bundle, filled with WM, Hordes, and IK stuff.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/warmachine-hordes-iron-kingdom-rpg-books

There's a coupon in there for a discount off a Battlegroup Starter Box or 2-Player starter, too. I assume those are through the official store.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Wow. That's a LOT of stuff...

And there's the Company of Iron rule PDF.

Insider talking about it.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'm so gonna pay 15$ for all of that stuff.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Just picked up the new Prime, is there any information on the mini they included with it?
    Looks Cygnar ish from the armor, but there's no big bird insignia anywhere, and dudes wandering around with tomes and skulls doesn't seem really Cygnar to me.

Maybe use him as a warlock in a D&D game...

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Just picked up the new Prime, is there any information on the mini they included with it?
    Looks Cygnar ish from the armor, but there's no big bird insignia anywhere, and dudes wandering around with tomes and skulls doesn't seem really Cygnar to me.

Maybe use him as a warlock in a D&D game...

That's Eilish - works for everyone. Go to cards.privateerpress.com -> Mercs -> Solos and you can download his card.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I'm really enjoying just making little Company of Iron squads in War Room. The requisition penalties for strong models are serious. A Stalker is -2.

I think Shrikes will be surprisingly good, though, as an alternative

Evil Multifarious on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I have to say, I haven't connected with a model as much as I have with Eilish

And the upcoming Gatorbomb....

edited October 2017
    So, stupid question, but what are the counters to Ghost Fleet? Not a list, but abilities? Or I guess, what is it that makes GF so dominating?

Edit: I guess, more to the point, is there a reason why I should be worried about it as long as I can fit a Shadows of the Retribution theme list into a pairing?

Brody on

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    RFP. From memory it just out-attritions you because the majority of what you kill comes back at the beginning of the Cryx turn. RFP allows you to just get rid of the leader to shut down Deathbound instead of having to wipe out full squads at a time.

persona4celestia.jpg
    So, stupid question, but what are the counters to Ghost Fleet? Not a list, but abilities? Or I guess, what is it that makes GF so dominating?

Edit: I guess, more to the point, is there a reason why I should be worried about it as long as I can fit a Shadows of the Retribution theme list into a pairing?

Ghost Fleet strengths:

-Recursion. Running three units that get back d3+1 guys, and having those guys activate after coming back, is the backbone of the list. It's overwhelming attrition and very strong on scenario, both scoring and contesting.
    -Shooting. With Deneghra's feat, even the crappy normal pirate guns are threatening, as they're effectively rat 6 pow 12. Throw a debuff on a heavy and suddenly that's a bunch of pow 15s. But really, you're going to have one or two pistol Wraiths, a Hellslinger with Ghost Shot, and 9 riflemen with Ghost Shot, and that's the scary part. That's a lot of guns, and Deneghra 1 can really make guns shine.
    -Assassination. With all those guns, Deneghra's crushing debuff feat is very scary, but her pop and drop using Scourge (which can't miss if the arc node is within 4") means you have to be constantly aware of a Ghost Shot assassination. Not just that, you've got a pair of Stalkers on the margins, probably, and tons of incorporeal models who can run through and punch your debuffed caster...
    -Incorporeal. Probably a Wraith Engine and a unit of Blackbane's incorporeal pirates. Sometimes a Machine Wraith or two. This means it's extremely easy to contest, just by having an incorporeal model toe a zone, and a huge chunk of your army (1/3 of the points) can only be hurt by magic attacks. The Engine can block charge zones and threaten to delete a heavy easily, and it's hard to do anything about it. Blackbane's can just run around gumming things up if the enemy doesn't have enough magic attacks.
    -Deneghra's feat. A game winning, oppressive tool by itself.

So basically, it's got a bunch of resilient infantry, great shooting, lots of ways to wipe out enemy infantry, a debuff caster who can crush armour as well as anyone in the game and make any model a threat to even ARM 20 heavies, scenario presence, and great assassination threat. And if you've got some high powered guns, you have almost nothing worth shooting at.

Ghost Fleet weaknesses:
    -Mass infantry removal. Sprays, big or numerous templates, good anti-infantry melee abilities like Thresher or Overtake + Berserk, lightning leaps, feats like Caine 1 or Feora 1, even just simple volume of POW 10 shooting. This is the plainest solution and often underestimated. Each unit only has 9 guys. They'll keep one back as a "seed," but you can sacrifice a solo or something to take that fucker out.
    -Remove from play. If you have decent volume of RFP attacks, Rev Crew are suddenly just kind of mediocre infantry. If you can RFP the leader, they can't come back, so any real RFP threat also keeps the leader in the back, meaning they respawn much farther away and gum themselves up.
    -Anti-stealth shooting. Without stealth, Deneghra is hugely vulnerable to assassination, and she won't have a bunch of support staff to hide behind. This seems minor, but if she can't safely walk way up to apply the feat, it can really turn the tide. She hates Lylyth 3, for example.
    -High volume of magic attacks. If you've got plenty to spare, suddenly Wraith Engines, Blackbane's and Wraiths are a lot less safe and have to be played much more conservatively. This is harder to find in themes, which is part of why Ghost Fleet is so good--magic attacks are pretty uncommon.

Speaking of which, Black Fleet CID is up, and Deneghra 1 nerfs are up for inspection. She lost scourge and her feat no longer prevents running, charging, or power/special attacks. The latter is a great change and sorely needed.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I played my first ever game of in-person Hordes today! Went down to the Friendly-40minutedrive-gamestore at Millenium Games with the carrying bag and foam I'd gotten earlier mostly intending to just watch but there was a tournament going on and a casual guy with no opposite who wanted to play so we did a 35 point game which honestly lasted longer than it should have because I was a bit underprepared. He kindly let me have some tokens and I'll be printing out the cards for next week to track damage on, if he's there we'll be doing a smaller 15 point game.

I lost as it happens, my gators managed to take out his Skorne Swordsmen but by the end I conceded when I only had Rask and the Shamblers+Bokor left and it was clear I couldn't get a win since he had a Beast with Guard so I couldn't even get a lucky snipe in on his Warlock, but it was fun.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    We've only really seen the rocket pack dudes for Crucible Guard, right?

• NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

Some concept art and a 3D render of one of the warcasters got shown recently.

Concept
    bg329czxk2lg.jpg

3D render
    fvnb8vwfu37g.jpg

Nechriah on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Nechriah wrote: »

Some concept art and a 3D render of one of the warcasters got shown recently.

Concept
    bg329czxk2lg.jpg

3D render
    fvnb8vwfu37g.jpg

New war caster, or did Gorman go epic?

see317 wrote: »
    New war caster, or did Gorman go epic?

It's a caster for the new faction Crucible Guard.

Well, it seems I have successfully sucked all of my friends into the game, now I just need to find the time to assemble/paint all of my stuff so I can catch up to them.

So far our v local meta is: Retribution (Me), Trolls, Menoth, and Legion.

Not enought dirty Mercs, but I guess it's ok anyway. :P

MK II Starter boxes are $10 on PP's website.

Dang, I actually kind of want to get January's MiniCrate, since it's Ashlynn1.

persona4celestia.jpg
    http://privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-12-20-2017

New Insider talking about the ‘18 CID cycles. Includes a new Crucible Guard concept art.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Amazon is doing some crazy clearance on Warmachine and Hordes stuff right now.

I got Kraken/Sepulcher colossal kit, box of Bane Riders, box of Mechanithralls with Brutes, and Goreshade 3 for about $150 total. That's over half off I think.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Ravagores dropping 3 points is huge. Beast cost adjustments in general seem good.

They seem to be taking the "overtune and then nerf gradually" approach again, which is fine.

Hmmmm. The new legion caster and the fact that legion is getting a ton of Blighted Ogrun stuff (the cavalry is also apparently ogrun as well?) has me pulling stuff out of the closet and thinking about how to expand my 50pt Kryssa list. thoughts?

Considering adding another Forsaken and Shepherd, a Raek, and the throne.

War Room Army

Legion of Everblight - Kryssa 50

Theme: Oracles of Annihilation
    2 / 2 Free Cards 50 / 50 Army

Kryssa, Conviction of Everblight - WB: +31
    - Succubus - PC: 4
    - Azrael - PC: 21 (Battlegroup Points Used: 21)
    - Naga Nightlurker - PC: 8 (Battlegroup Points Used: 8)
    - Neraph - PC: 12 (Battlegroup Points Used: 2)
    - Neraph - PC: 12
    - Seraph - PC: 14

Blighted Nyss Shepherd - PC: 1
    Blighted Nyss Sorceress & Hellion - PC: 0
    The Forsaken - PC: 0

Blackfrost Shard - Sevryn, Rhylyss & Vysarr: 9

That's a solid battlegroup on feat turn, since with the potential +5 damage swing you could crack a hard target quite well. The Throne is broken, like several battle engines are after the buff, so it's a great choice and will help you deal with infantry (which is your list's weakness now, I think). I like that list. A really severe armour skew might give it trouble, if they can stagger your attack so that you don't get to hit everything on feat turn.

Is Kryssa the one with the great spray spell? Might be good to have a Spell Martyr in there for that threat.

That's a solid battlegroup on feat turn, since with the potential +5 damage swing you could crack a hard target quite well. The Throne is broken, like several battle engines are after the buff, so it's a great choice and will help you deal with infantry (which is your list's weakness now, I think). I like that list. A really severe armour skew might give it trouble, if they can stagger your attack so that you don't get to hit everything on feat turn.

Is Kryssa the one with the great spray spell? Might be good to have a Spell Martyr in there for that threat.

Yeah, she has the nice but expensiveeeee spray (costs 3 fury, IIRC, which is half her pool).

I'm torn on adding a throne, Raek, and support solos in....mostly because while I like the throne's rules, I'm not enthused about the cost or physical size of the model.

I'm also considering my old idea for this list, which would be another Forsaken and Shepherd and two more Neraphs.

It would probably still struggle against infantry, but I think it would let me do more damage on the feat turn, since I'd probably be able to get a Neraph or two on their heavies, and hopefully trigger sprint a few times to dive the back line with semi-suicide Neraphs.

The Throne is expensive and big, yes, but it's also a giant horrible tentacle monster that eats people. It's delightful!

There's not much of a way around cost, but I'm sure there are ways to magnetize it so that you can break it down for transport and storage more easily. Not as easy as a colossal, but still.

• SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Getting back in again, really haven't played a lot of this new edition.
    Figured I'd start with the Grymkin because the Dreamer looks really neat. Love the style of the caster and her little minion whatevers.
    Having not played in such a long time, what would be a decent, smaller (50? it doesn't look like 35 is a thing anymore) point list that has a thematic look centered around her?

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==