As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Solitary Confinement, Part Two

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Solitary Confinement, Part Two

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm not sure it's possible to be disappointed with a comic containing a line like, "I'm the only thing that has been, or ever will be."

What is this I don't even.
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Gabe's taking his drug trip really well.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I have to think Mike loved drawing this.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I've never had a drug trip, but this reminds me a lot of fever dreams. Can't quite fall all the way asleep so you're still sort of aware of the environment and everything turns into a weird metaphor.

steam_sig.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    This is not where I expected this latest example of continuity to be headed.

• VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    "Kick ass, dude." kills me. the nonchalant tone is great

• ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    This reminds me of when I was nine years old and ended up with a pretty bad case of the flu. I was hallucinating any time I was awake and it was at this point my mom decided to gift me my dads old 8-track collection. Along with all the Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Peter Frampton was Pink Floyd's 'The Wall'. Listening to it for the first time was surreal but nothing could have prepared me for listening to Comfortably Numb while I was comfortably tripping balls thanks to flu and alcohol-infused flu medication.

As amazing an experience as it was a pretty off-putting one and one of the main reasons I avoid doing any drug stronger than Ibuprofin. 'The Wall' has some pretty dark moments.

ziddersroofurry on
  • OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    I wonder if this will become a Neverending Story.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Solipsism is a very different sort of solitary confinement.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Gabe's friendship with the Snake All-Being will be the stuff of legend, was was foretold in the Book of Great Deeds.

• PeriSoftPeriSoft Registered User regular
    I'll have what he's having.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    As amazing an experience as it was a pretty off-putting one and one of the main reasons I avoid doing any drug stronger than Ibuprofin. 'The Wall' has some pretty dark moments.

As an Englishman, I approve of this blandly expressed understatement.

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I've definitely had flights that felt like that.

"How long ago did we take off?"
    "Forever."
    "And how long until we land?"
    "Forever."

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    What's worse is when you look outside the little window and realize: wait, you're still on the tarmac. o_O

76561197966849367.png
  • Cindy MoonCindy Moon Part-Time Superhero Registered User regular
    Gabe looks positively child-like here, which I think is a rather lovely touch personally.

hoLeLjV.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Zetx wrote: »
    What's worse is when you look outside the little window and realize: wait, you're still on the tarmac. o_O

I always sleep on planes. One time before a ten hour flight I fell asleep and woke up four hours later thinking "ok that was a good chunk". Looked out the window. Still on the runway.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Zetx wrote: »

I always sleep on planes. One time before a ten hour flight I fell asleep and woke up four hours later thinking "ok that was a good chunk". Looked out the window. Still on the runway.

That's when you realize you really don't need to go wherever you're trying to go. Then you just get up, kick open the emergency exit and just leave.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I didn't notice Gabe's arms being in the air in the third panel

That's great

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    I'm jealous. I've never hallucinated like that.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Commander Zoom on
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    More "fever dream" than Ambien (never tried it personally)?

I relate to running a strong fever as a kid; hallucinating like crazy: being in this weird, metaphoric, half-dream state where geometric patterns of indescribable portent were rushing toward each other with cataclysmic speed and apocalyptic meaning. It affected me for life.

Phaserlight on
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Feels a little derivative of this set of Toothpaste for Dinner strips: http://ambien.blogspot.com/2010/12/ambien-walrus-collection.html

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Griswold wrote: »
    Feels a little derivative of this set of Toothpaste for Dinner strips: http://ambien.blogspot.com/2010/12/ambien-walrus-collection.html

I don't agree. Ambien hallucinations are hardly a unique idea. Comics about them years apart with almost no connection beside Ambien, hallucinations, and talking animals are not what I'd call "derivative".

• TrueLinkTrueLink Registered User regular
    If Snake is the only thing that is or ever has been, what is the point of its fangs?

YoungFrey wrote: »

I don't agree. Ambien hallucinations are hardly a unique idea. Comics about them years apart with almost no connection beside Ambien, hallucinations, and talking animals are not what I'd call "derivative".

I'm not suggesting they knowingly stole the joke, but your list of "Ambien, hallucinations, and talking animals" is, like, the entire contents of both strips.

TrueLink wrote: »
    If Snake is the only thing that is or ever has been, what is the point of its fangs?

looking super cool.

steam_sig.png
  • Bobart RobskyBobart Robsky Registered User regular

"That doesn't seem AT ALL like this thing that I've never experienced before!"

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    My "favorite" literal fever dream was when I was convinced that my great discomfort was due to a dozen or two parallel-dimensional/timeline versions of myself, each denoted by a little hovering number, all trying to occupy the same space simultaneously, or just slightly out of sync.
    You know that visual effect where they show a body in motion as multiple images or animation frames, overlaid on each other, with the "slow" or "late" ones catching up with the rest? Like that.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

I'm not suggesting they knowingly stole the joke, but your list of "Ambien, hallucinations, and talking animals" is, like, the entire contents of both strips.

I think "reminiscent" would be a better word than "derivative" then.

My "favorite" literal fever dream was when I was convinced that my great discomfort was due to a dozen or two parallel-dimensional/timeline versions of myself, each denoted by a little hovering number, all trying to occupy the same space simultaneously, or just slightly out of sync.
    You know that visual effect where they show a body in motion as multiple images or animation frames, overlaid on each other, with the "slow" or "late" ones catching up with the rest? Like that.

The only fever dream i really have any memory of I was looking down at my bed like it was the map in an RTS game, and all the units from my ex's side kept bringing over heat and taking away water and my guys couldn't fight them off.

steam_sig.png
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular

Heh heh, true. I guess my post is a question disguised as a statement; will Ambien really do this? I mean, I've experimented with hallucinogens in my youthful years, I guess I've never thought of... Ambien as being in that category. I have no intent of trying it, it was more of a weirdly worded question.

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Bobart RobskyBobart Robsky Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

Heh heh, true. I guess my post is a question disguised as a statement; will Ambien really do this? I mean, I've experimented with hallucinogens in my youthful years, I guess I've never thought of... Ambien as being in that category. I have no intent of trying it, it was more of a weirdly worded question.

In my experience, if I don't go to sleep after I take an ambien, shadows start to move and I'll end up talking to beings that aren't there or in some cases have a waking dream. So it's totally possible!

Excuse my snarkiness it's just my natural state of being.

Bobart Robsky on

I'm not suggesting you know what "derivative" means.

dennis wrote: »

I'm not suggesting you know what "derivative" means.

I was implying more of a Louis C.K. <-> Dane Cook type of thing. Joke gets in your head, time goes by, you forget about it, brain regurgitates it much later on when the circumstances are right.

If you really want to get pedantic about "derivative" vs. "reminiscent" or similar, that's fine I guess?

Creators in this space (rightfully) get very upset when plagiarism occurs (see @thefatjewish et al.), so I think it's at least worth discussing when multiple comic strip authors end up producing pieces of work that bear strong similarities in both content and tone.

Creators in this space (rightfully) get very upset when plagiarism occurs (see @thefatjewish et al.), so I think it's at least worth discussing when multiple comic strip authors end up producing pieces of work that bear strong similarities in both content and tone.

Except (and I'm not trying to flame you hear so much as be brutally honest about my opinion) in this case, you do not seem to be equipped for knowing when that discussion should occur. As other people have noted, the comic you brought up bears little to no resemblance to the one PA created. Also, at the risk of being out-of-the-loop, I think most people (Mike included) have never seen or heard of this comic. Google search for "ambien walrus" returns 16,000 hits. In comparison, "sleepy penguin" returns 36,500 hits, and that's a thing I just made up.

People aren't taking you seriously because you're not offering a serious argument. The critique you have made is so prima facie meaningless that people are rightly rejecting it out of hand.

• MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Registered User regular
    Looks like Gabe needed to go bald so we could see the "excitement" better

Speaking of the last frame, I'd buy a T-Shirt of it if I was aloud to customize the dialogue (or remove the bubbles completely)

edited October 2017
    I think most people (Mike included) have never seen or heard of this comic.
    Unless your are Mike Krahulik or have worked closely with him over an extended period of time, I don't know how you could possibly have any idea whether or not he knows Toothpaste for Dinner exists.

I had a longer response typed out, but it's not worth the pissing contest. Just know I take issue with an "I'm not trying to flame you but..." response, when your first post in this thread was pretty clearly meant to do exactly that.

Griswold on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Kinda surprised no one made the obvious reference here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geVYIHOat5o

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited October 2017
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Kinda surprised no one made the obvious reference here:

Well, they're two totally different things. See, that one is a luckdragon. The one in the strip is clearly a fuckdragon.

dennis on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I think most people (Mike included) have never seen or heard of this comic.
    Unless your are Mike Krahulik or have worked closely with him over an extended period of time, I don't know how you could possibly have any idea whether or not he knows Toothpaste for Dinner exists.

Hi! Ten years! He doesn’t read that comic.