As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SysAdmin] More like unItanium.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Hey guys. Fuck Boston.

If you're looking for apartments: yes
    If you're wanting to do things: probably not

ITT: Every large city.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    So should I be happy that a user read one of my emails or sad that they only read the first line?

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    So should I be happy that a user read one of my emails or sad that they only read the first line?

First line needs to tell them to read the entire message...

Feldorn on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Hey guys. Fuck Boston.

If you're looking for apartments: yes
    If you're wanting to do things: probably not

ITT: Every large city.

According to some of the posters here, Boston is unique though, since you basically cannot skip using a realtor/broker to find an apartment. So it is its own little unique hell compared to like SFBay or something.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Feldorn wrote: »
    lwt1973 wrote: »

First line needs to tell them to read the entire message...

In my experience, if you can't express the entire message in the first line you need to rethink the communication medium. One option is to have the e-mail only say, "The attached document contains the instructions you should follow in full."

It's not an individual sucking, people en masse are super bad about reading full e-mails.

What is this I don't even.
    They won't read the doc either.

You will continue to send out instructions, and without fail, most of the users will be asking questions specifically answered in previous bullet points.

So while making something concise and readable is ideal, in the end it won't matter, cause they won't read it anyways.

You will continue to send out instructions, and without fail, most of the users will be asking questions specifically answered in previous bullet points.

So while making something concise and readable is ideal, in the end it won't matter, cause they won't read it anyways.

Perhaps we're doing the thread thing where we just hate.

But if we're not, I will say great gains can be made by just making more concise, readable instructions and presenting them in the right way. Not 100% solutions, but gains.

One of my absolute favorite things: If you're in charge of planning a call center, doing something like making a FAQ with online help available and forcing the caller to interact with it as part of calling you, then DELIBERATELY having longer hold times, increases resolution without help desk involvement. Basically make them so bored they'll read the documentation while they wait for you to pick up.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    spent 3 hours of my life today fighting with a tape drive.

so that was a great morning.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    why are tapes even a thing anymore

there's gotta be a better system

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

the tapes themselves are still the most reliable offline backup I've ever encountered. It's the multi tape loaders that are the problem, they're like printers in that they have so many moving parts to break.

I've never seen a single tape drive fail. It's always the multi tape loader drives.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar

Send instructions in 72 point wingdings. You'll find out real quick who's paying attention.

edited October 2017
    wunderbar wrote: »

the tapes themselves are still the most reliable offline backup I've ever encountered. It's the multi tape loaders that are the problem, they're like printers in that they have so many moving parts to break.

I've never seen a single tape drive fail. It's always the multi tape loader drives.

Or its the Backup Exec 12.5 that they refuse to upgrade/replace and constantly has driver issues.

Cog on

Or its the Backup Exec 12.5 that they refuse to upgrade/replace and constantly has driver issues.

hilariously, we do run backupexec, but it's 16, the most recent version.

I don't hate backupexec as much as some do, not my favorite, but it does work.

That being said, no this was a physical drive issue that required me to take the drive apart to fix a stuck tape.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I don't even think it's an issue with how the information is conveyed.

there will always be people to just dismiss emails they don't think are important

even if your first line is "important: follow these steps to retain computer access" someone out there is gonna be like "yawn more IT bs I get these every day" and gloss over it

other people just... don't gain information by reading, they need to talk to another human

I learned this a long time ago working at conventions. If you want to be 100% effective you can't just put up a sign that says "$Event ->" you need to put a person there, holding that sign, so those people can ask where $Event is

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

Yeah but Tape Libraries are still pretty cool. I always loved how they were checking, and putting, and checking, and loading, and putting, and checking, and unloading, and putting, and checking.

"What's Thawmus doing in the Server Room?"

"I think he said backups, but....yeah, he's been staring at that for a while...."

Twitch: Thawmus83
    edited October 2017
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

But if we're not, I will say great gains can be made by just making more concise, readable instructions and presenting them in the right way. Not 100% solutions, but gains.

No, I'm not hating on our users, this is just our experience. We went through numerous drafts but it didn't matter. People see an email from IT and move on before it's even marked read.

@Aioua seems to be spot on. Some people just want you to read the email to them.

Feldorn on

No, I'm not hating on our users, this is just our experience. We went through numerous drafts but it didn't matter. People see an email from IT and move on before it's even marked read.

@Aioua seems to be spot on. Some people just want you to read the email to them.

I was recently flagrantly guilty of this. I saw an e-mail from HR, did the first, second and fourth sentences but apparently didn't read the third. It was not malicious, but I think my brain just classifies e-mails from HR as skim-worthy.

Why not use hot swappable hard drives? Less moving parts. Drop it into the enclosure, startup the software, bingo-bango-bongo?

I was recently flagrantly guilty of this. I saw an e-mail from HR, did the first, second and fourth sentences but apparently didn't read the third. It was not malicious, but I think my brain just classifies e-mails from HR as skim-worthy.

I'm not sure I've ever read an HR email here.

Outlook rules, assemble!

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Oh my God I just had a flashback to my bank call center days.

Customer calls: "I got this letter what does it mean"
    "Well, what does it say?"
    *Customer reads letter aloud to me over the phone*
    *I repeat back what they said using slightly different words*
    "Ok, okay, thanks for explaining it."

This happened all the time.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies

I'm not sure I've ever read an HR email here.

Outlook rules, assemble!

I pull those out of Content Search to be sure I'm not asking stupid questions around open enrollment time...

• FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular

Send instructions in 72 point wingdings. You'll find out real quick who's paying attention.

I've wanted to put in random keywords or phrases mid-way through emails, just to see who's paying attention. Haven't worked up the nerve to actually do it though.

Huh...
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Oh my God I just had a flashback to my bank call center days.

Customer calls: "I got this letter what does it mean"
    "Well, what does it say?"
    *Customer reads letter aloud to me over the phone*
    *I repeat back what they said using slightly different words*
    "Ok, okay, thanks for explaining it."

This happened all the time.

When this happens I assume that some of the people who do that aren't lazy, they're just better at processing language by audio than by text.

I think the nature of this being a text-based forum we have sampling bias in favor of people who are better at reading than at listening. (I know I certainly am.)

(Random factoid: Approximately 1% of the population is bona fide dyslexic.)

If I send out an email and the rate of people calling me back asking it to explain it is around 1-2%, I don't sweat it.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    FF wrote: »

I've wanted to put in random keywords or phrases mid-way through emails, just to see who's paying attention. Haven't worked up the nerve to actually do it though.

I do this all the time. Just little jokes. Nothing particularly controversial.

My example users are often pop stars and example passwords are often song lyrics. I like to see who notices that Ed Sheeran has an email address here.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

edited October 2017
    I do get annoyed when IT people or software developers don't read shit though.

IT and programming are not good professional tracks for people who are bad at reading.

I feel for you if you're genuinely dyslexic and I will make reasonable efforts to accommodate that disability. (I work closely with a dyslexic person right now and my last boss was dyslexic.) But I need to see that you are at least trying.

To be in this line of work you have to accept that reading is essential and it's ultimately going to be your problem to overcome, not mine.

Feral on

I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    FF wrote: »

I do this all the time. Just little jokes. Nothing particularly controversial.

My example users are often pop stars and example passwords are often song lyrics. I like to see who notices that Ed Sheeran has an email address here.

I've found that making emails funny makes people more likely to read them. I've had people tell me they read my long emails only because I make them funny.

That being said, I'm only in a semi-professional environment. And this doesn't work if everybody tries to be funny (or if you're not funny).

Why not use hot swappable hard drives? Less moving parts. Drop it into the enclosure, startup the software, bingo-bango-bongo?

Hard Drives are not as good for transport to offsite and cold storage though. Higher chance of damage.

Hard Drives are not as good for transport to offsite and cold storage though. Higher chance of damage.

I am skeptical that that is true. Doubly so for solid states that have no moving parts.

I am skeptical that that is true. Doubly so for solid states that have no moving parts.

I'll grant you solid state drives, but SSD for long term cold storage is not economical yet.

Platter drives are definitely heaver and more expensive on a per-TB basis than tapes, and more fragile. An LTO-7 tape holds 6TB uncompressed and you can buy them for around $75 ea. Cheaper if you buy in bulk and have a good VAR.

SSDs fix the weight and fragility problems, but not the expense.

Expensive, yes, but not a pain in the ass to deal with every step of the process except stuffing it in a box.

That said, I haven't actually backed up to tape in a while. These days, the "offline" backup just means "online via a different protocol."

It still runs the risk of a disgruntled employee logging into the backup NAS or the cloud provider and deleting everything, but the usual threats of ransomware and malware can't get to it.

edited October 2017
    I'm thinking about setting up a little storage box with like 20 gigs or something and FTP, and batching out backups via FTP. Just so it's physically separated from windows protocols and shit.

bowen on
    My actual plan is that I have a NAS to handle most of the backups, and then run a once a week full backup to tape, and that's what goes offsite. Once that is done we won't need the multi-tape drive, a single tape drive will do. I'm just not there yet because reasons.

I'm thinking about setting up a little storage box with like 20 gigs or something and FTP, and batching out backups via FTP. Just so it's physically separated from windows protocols and shit.

rsync through an SSL or SSH tunnel would be a good protocol for that.

rsync will only sync deltas so it'll be much more efficient for incremental backups.

rsync will only sync deltas so it'll be much more efficient for incremental backups.

Yeah it was going to be an sftp thing, not sure if I can use rsync in windows with file locks. We'll see where the wind blows me.

Yeah it was going to be an sftp thing, not sure if I can use rsync in windows with file locks. We'll see where the wind blows me.

There are definitely rsync clients for Windows but I'm not really sure how good they are or if they play nice with file locks or rely on VSS (ugh) or whatever.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I hate to admit it, but I called FiOS customer service a couple weekends back when our home box was acting like it was on battery power. The recording said to check power backups and I was going to be on the phone for a while, so fuck it. Sure enough, the GFCI breaker it was connected to had tripped. Which should never happen, but, hey...

At least I didn't have to actually talk to someone.

We have an admin here who re-forwards administrative emails to our department but changes the email subject because otherwise, people here use filters and rules or just outright delete those emails without reading. And as a result, they'd miss, for example, that our contract processing system (that uses an SAP backbone) will be down for a Friday-through-Monday in the near future. It's also how timecards are handled, so there has been more than the requisite bitching to "get your hours in on time!"

And, yet, I guarantee that people will bitch, and say there was no email.

I have mulled over adding lines to contract-type documents, just to see if anyone actually reads them (i.e. "[X Department] shall perform all work dressed in pink bunny pajamas from A Christmas Story"). I have yet to actually follow through and then demand compliance after the document is signed, but I would be fully within my rights if I did.

Mugsley on
This discussion has been closed.