As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
edited June 2019 in Critical Failures
SWX36-layout.jpg

*Work in progress*

X-wing is a tense, fast-paced game of tactical skirmishes which plays in ~90 minutes.
With elements of squadron building, chance, & hidden information X-wing is easy to learn but difficult to master.
The Game:
In a nutshell, X-wing is played over a series of turns.
You will begin each turn by secretly assigning a maneuver to each of your ships.
Once all ships have been assigned a maneuver for the turn, those maneuvers are resolved one by one.
The order in which maneuvers are resolved is determined on a ship-by-ship basis, according to Pilot Skill.
Less-skilled pilots such as the humble Academy TIE Fighter pilot perform their maneuvers early in the turn.
Pilots of greater skill such as Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, or Darth Vader perform their maneuvers later in the turn.

Immediately after a ship has maneuvered, it may perform an action. These actions take many forms, but generally provide some additional maneuvering capacity or some offensive/defensive benefits.

Once all ships have maneuvered and taken actions, the combat phase begins and ships exchange fire!
The order in which ships shoot is determined by Pilot Skill, with more skilled pilots shooting before less-skilled pilots.

For more information, I suggest watching one of the following:

Looks fun! How do I get started?
For starters you'll need an X-wing Miniatures Game Core Set, or an X-wing Miniatures Game: The Force Awakens Core Set.
These each contain one Rebel starfighter, two Imperial starfighters, some pilot & upgrade options for each of those starfighters, a set of maneuver templates, a damage deck, tokens, dice, and the various other things you'll need for your first game or two. While not strictly necessary for your first game, it is a good idea for each player to have their own Core.

Chances are excellent that you'll want to expand your fleet almost immediately.

00001066.png

While X-wing is highly adaptable to various squadron point limits, standard dogfights give you 100 squadron points to build with - and you'll have to purchase additional ships to reach this.
Popular bang-for-your-buck choices include the Rebel Aces expansion and the TIE Interceptor expansion - but you can pick up anything that looks cool.

Which brings us to...

The Factions:

The Rebel Alliance:

Kijej65eT.jpeg
latest?cb=20150426164748
latest?cb=20150426170942
latest?cb=20150426170528
latest?cb=20150426172641
latest?cb=20150426171451
latest?cb=20150426190059
latest?cb=20150426172351
latest?cb=20150426174140
latest?cb=20150426173139
latest?cb=20150426174719
latest?cb=20150731200405
latest?cb=20150421043950
latest?cb=20150426191333
latest?cb=20150426190415
latest?cb=20150911045504
latest?cb=20160603063512
latest?cb=20160806025045
latest?cb=20160902160046
latest?cb=20160504185554
600?cb=20170316130821
600?cb=20170315223723
600?cb=20170908215522
swx72_spread_legal.png

The Galactic Empire:

eiMd55x9T.jpeg
latest?cb=20150426170353
latest?cb=20150426170713
latest?cb=20150426171604
latest?cb=20150426181845
latest?cb=20150426172739
latest?cb=20150426173733
latest?cb=20150426174448
latest?cb=20150421044053
latest?cb=20150911045841
latest?cb=20150731201556
latest?cb=20150426172523
latest?cb=20150426171225
latest?cb=20150426174944
latest?cb=20150426191735
latest?cb=20150731202049
latest?cb=20151215054403
latest?cb=20160602134232
latest?cb=20160806022942
latest?cb=20160902163337
latest?cb=20170315211916
latest?cb=20170821151101
latest?cb=20170908223223

Scum & Villainy:

aethll2zu2tl.png
latest?cb=20150426175658
latest?cb=20150421043813
latest?cb=20150426181235
latest?cb=20150426180156
latest?cb=20150426181635
latest?cb=20150616153958
latest?cb=20150731201854
latest?cb=20150731201305
latest?cb=20160603063704
latest?cb=20160603080053
latest?cb=20160806025723
latest?cb=20170315223723
latest?cb=20170821153835
latest?cb=20170530200853

Resources:

Play with us online!

The current module you'll need is:

Star_Wars_X-Wing_Miniatures_Game-5.6.6.vmod

OP stolen wholeheartedly from @sokpuppet
StarWars: X-Wang
Season 4: The Force Awangens

Season 1: Episode DIX
Season 2: The Wang Strikes Back
Last time on Season 3: Return of the Wang

What is this?
This is an online X-Wing miniatures league for PA forum members. The goal is to have fun and play more games!

Rules
1-50) Don't be a dick.
51) Breaking rules 1-50 is a Bad Idea(tm)
52) Any issues or rules disputes come through me. I'll do my best to investigate and work out the issue with involved players. (If I'm part of the dispute, someone else will have to do it)

Format
  • Games will be played in Vassal (if you can somehow play in meatspace, more power to you).
  • Games will be 100 points.
  • If you sign up you will be expected to play 1 game per week. Work with your opponent to figure out a time that you both can play. Exception: holiday weeks will be extended to 2-3 weeks
  • Please setup Vassal prior to your first game to get familiar with it (see Setup below).
    • Please setup your squad in Vassal prior to game start each week. This can be done by creating the squad, begin logging (File menu), select the whole squad and choosing "copy", then save the log.
    • When you are ready to bring your squad into the game, replay the log and it should pop right in
  • Since this is played online, it can take a little longer. Please try to allow at least 2 hours for your game each week (or play very aggressively ;-) )
  • At the end of the week, post the results to the thread so we can keep track of standings and the campaign at large. Try to @ me in the post so I can track it more easily
  • Feel free to post exciting moments/screenshots in the thread!

Games will be played using FFG's dogfight tournament rules (here) with the following exceptions:
  1. Games will not be timed (Exception: you and your opponent both agree on a timed game; if time expires, the winner is the player who has destroyed more points than his opponent then receives a Match win)
  2. Because games will not be timed, scoring will be as follows:
    • Match win: 3 points
    • Draw: 1 point
    • Match loss: 0 points
  3. You don't have to stick to the same squad/faction each week (or submit your squads to me; I will be playing as well)
    • You will have to tell your opponent your squad before you begin (before obstacles are placed)
  4. Ships and cards are not permitted until they are officially released (Wave 7 and FA Core are legal!)
  5. You must legitimately own physical versions of any ships or cards you use, as per Fantasy Flight's rules concerning the ongoing use of Vassal to play their games

!!!! IMPORTANT: READ THIS !!!!
Major changes from last season (Game rules/FAQ)
  • Wave 7 and Force Awakens Core are legal!
  • Either damage deck may be used! Each player gets to choose when building their squad.
  • Tournament rules state that each player comes to the table with 3 unique obstacle tokens (Asteroids and/or Debris clouds; can use obstacles from FA Core)
    • Both sets of 3 are added to a "pool" and those are the 6 obstacles placed in the game
    • Range rules for obstacle placement remain the same
  • TIE Phantoms no longer decloak immediately before revealing their maneuver dial.
    • They decloak at the beginning of the Activation Phase (after all other "beginning of Activation Phase" abilities)
  • Free actions can be performed while on an obstacle.
I highly encourage you to read the FAQ for other changes.

Setup
Setting up Vassal and the module - Follow the steps here: http://s93768914.onlinehome.us/xwing/
Keep in mind that no cards have text, so you will need your own card text available to you (see 5 above).

Resources
Commanders:
Standings:
Aurek -
tmc91zqdje3m.png

Besh -
fm6o7vmckk20.png

Schedule http://challonge.com/xwang_season4
Aurek Flight Matchups:
Previous Rounds
Round 1: Feb 1 - Feb 7

Round 2: Feb 8 - Feb 21

Round 3: Feb 22 - Feb 28

Round 4: Feb 29 - Mar 6

Round 5: Mar 7 - Mar 13

Future Rounds:
Round 6
Round 7
Round 8
Round 9

Besh Flight Matchups:
Previous Rounds
Round 1: Feb 1 - Feb 7

Round 2: Feb 8 - Feb 21

Round 3: Feb 22 - Feb 28

Round 4: Feb 29 - Mar 6

Round 5: Mar 7 - Mar 13

Future Rounds:
Round 6
Round 7
Round 8
Round 9
Any Questions? @ or PM me!
*Rules/format/calendar subject to change

Summoning previous players:
@Grunt's Ghosts @Stationary @TehSloth @Ingram @Sokpuppet @Elvenshae @webguy20 @Comradebot @[Expletive deleted] @D0rkAngl @Chrysis @DaMoonRulz

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
Fuselage on

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    I'll be editing the OP more after work so I can get all of the ship pictures to the same scale.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Lore accurate Biggs.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ahahaha. Both kinds of scum got what they deserved.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So on a scale of 1 to Netrunner RCBR, how big of an impact are these changes?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    ugh, there's no reason to fly Dengar now

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    ugh, there's no reason to fly Dengar now

prolly the goal

• ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    So on a scale of 1 to Netrunner RCBR, how big of an impact are these changes?

Welcome to Xwing 2.0. The changes are that big.

DO3O00C.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    That's an insane nerf to Biggs. Only once per game? Damn. Maybe this will free them up to make upgrades for the X-Wing. Yeah right...

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/25/new-squadron-formations/
    New FAQ article with a few explanations.

Here are all the important nerfed cards:
    advanced_slam_errata_web.pngattanni_mindlink_errata_web.pnggenius_errata_web.png

biggs_darklighter_errata_web.png

contracted_scout_errata_web.pngmanaroo_errata_web.png
    tel_trevura_errata_web.pngdengar_errata_web.png

DO3O00C.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    WTF is up with changing Biggs?

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Wow.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I honestly don't think any of the jumpmasters are worth playing right now

biggs is also basically done

edited October 2017
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    WTF is up with changing Biggs?

He was incredibly powerful and meta-defining.

With the severe nerf to Scum alpha-strike lists Rebels should have more viable options than just Biggs + heavy regen.

admanb on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    That Jumpmaster nerf..oof.

I'm.still cranky over the K Wing / Advanced Slam nerf too. It can't do a single thing it's intro article showed off now can it?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Maybe I'll actually try to make it to a tournament with a list again sometime now that there will be more than like, 3 lists that kill everything.

I'll probably still do horribly but at least I'll see a greater variety of annihilation.

edited October 2017
    What do people do to post the changes? Memorize every detail, or reprint cards and put them in sleeves in front of the originals?

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    edited October 2017
    Fuselage wrote: »
    What do people do to post the changes? Memorize every detail, or reprint cards and put them in sleeves in front of the originals?

Remember the relevant stuff. Use apps for squad building.

I think the Jumpmaster is still playable - even with that nerf Dengar is still undercosted, and can still do K4 Expertise for full mods when bumping. Contracted Scout is still undercosted for dirt cheap HP/turret/blocking.

Nym can still do PS10 post-move bombing even with that Genius nerf (and even with Bomblets, if he has EM set... but only once without losing it), but he can't do the bullshit bump and bomb now (since then he forced range 1 and he isn't hurt by his own bombs).

This hardly eliminates forced bomb hits, but it hits the most egregious cases.

Polaritie on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I sold two of the K-Wings today that I got into stock yesterday. Both already had the new errata on Advanced SLAM. This has been coming for a while.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Guns for Hire should be out today, yeah?

Guns for Hire should be out today, yeah?

I'd hope. I ordered it with some other pre-orders on Cool Stuff Inc so I won't see it for a while. I haven't played in months!

I've seen on Reddit that some people could grab them a day early depending on their store.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    i've been extremely out of the competitive scene but that biggs nerf is so weird to me

that card was a staple in the early game for sure, but i don't really understand why it had to be changed now - is there a specific build that was too strong? The T-65 never really felt like it had enough options to make him especially overpowered, even when you built one for regen or defense

edited October 2017
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    i've been extremely out of the competitive scene but that biggs nerf is so weird to me

that card was a staple in the early game for sure, but i don't really understand why it had to be changed now - is there a specific build that was too strong? The T-65 never really felt like it had enough options to make him especially overpowered, even when you built one for regen or defense

It's not about the Biggs build specifically, though with R4-D6 and Integrated Astromech he did get better. As the game has gone on Rebel lists have become defined by their ability to survive alpha strikes and then regen their way to victory. With a smattering of bombing to make sure Imperial ace lists are completely fucked. Pieces like Miranda Doni mean that if the Rebel player can grind you down to a 1v1 late game you auto-lose, and Biggs is key to that plan.

Or to put it another way, every fuckin' Rebel list was some ship (or two) + Biggs, and everyone was sick of it.

The Jumpmaster nerf should make non-Biggs Rebel list more viable, since alpha strikes were their big problem.

admanb on
    Plus it's hard to create upgrades for the X-Wing with Biggs being able to reap the benefits too.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Plus it's hard to create upgrades for the X-Wing with Biggs being able to reap the benefits too.

I think it wouldn't be hard if the desire is there

PS8+ title is easy

I think it wouldn't be hard if the desire is there

PS8+ title is easy

True, but that's just one less restriction to worry about.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    FFG, as a whole, despises auto includes. I got the impression Biggs was an auto-include. Now he's not.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    at least I never bought three jumpmasters

at least I never bought three jumpmasters

high fives for only buying two jumpmasters

I bought zero Jumpmasters. Then again, I don't think I've bought a ship since wave 4? I'm so behind... :(

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I bought zero Jumpmasters. Then again, I don't think I've bought a ship since wave 4? I'm so behind... :(

As a casual player, I'm sticking to 1 of each ship model... for now. :D

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    i guess i can get behind a Biggs nerf with that rationale

it kind of frustrates the list i was planning on running but oh well

...now when do they release the T-65 fix with rogue one paintjobs

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I feel like the nerf to Biggs opens up the design space a lot.

I've always thought biggs is a boring and unfun ship to fly so I'm not even slightly bothered by that

in fact the only part of this errata that bugs me is that they nerfed the jumpmaster into the dirt

Yeah but like... the Jumpmaster was completely busted.

edited October 2017
    admanb wrote: »
    Yeah but like... the Jumpmaster was completely busted.

I'm not sure those were the right nerfs. I'd rather it just got cost cranked up (maybe lose one torp slot) and nerf K4.

But it had it coming.

Polaritie on
    sure, but did they have to make it so there's no reason at all to use it anymore?

I wouldn't say they're completely useless. The support-based Contracted Scout is still playable if there's a list for it and Dengar's ability is still super powerful.

The JM5k has been a ridiculously consistent fixture of the competitive scene for the year and a half since it's release and that's just not good for the health of the game.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I know this has been mentioned, but the biggs nerf was essential if FFG wants to fix the T-65 specifically. You just never see those ships anymore.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    As a rebel player I am fine with nerfing Biggs if that mean we can get a fix for the X-Wing to make it better.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork