As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo] Let's do the odyssey

Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aioXn0ut6gE
Mario Odyssey is out in about 8 hours and has been widely proclaimed "extremely unbelievably good except for the motion controls"

Let's enjoy the rad jazz tune that is apparently the main theme of the game?

6F32U1X.png

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Less than 2 hours until I get to play Mario!

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I warned you about motion controls bro

I told you dog

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Mariowns

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    It sounds like there is a non motion alternative for the 360 hat spin at least, by spinning the stick before throwing the hat

So there's a couple specialty hat throws (don't know if they're ever required), and some possession special abilities (that are required for a small selection of moons) that need motion controls

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I can't wait to see all the crazy weird stuff people figure out with the hat throws. Like, fiddling with the controls to make it do interesting animations or flashy movement. Maybe even finding ways to break the gameplay with it or something. We can call them hat tricks.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    We can call them hat tricks.
    No thanks

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    I am very much looking forward to speedruns of this game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    these motion controls don't look too bad.

seem to be mostly secondary stuff

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    these motion controls don't look too bad.

seem to be mostly secondary stuff

I'm fine with a game deciding to use motion controls in some way as a conscious and non-negotiable design choice , but I can understand it being frustrating for people who want to play in portable mode. Odyssey isn't the type of game I'd want to ever play on a small screen, but I know others aren't bothered by that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Got the shipping notification so it looks like Amazon came through for me

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    For the record the motion controls work much better with a joycon in each hand. That's the way they had us play it during the demo.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The motion controls were bad when I played on split Joycons but since they seem mostly mitigated by playing with a Pro, I am happy

Sucks about people playing handheld

• Options
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised he could tear himself away from the business factory

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Okay I bought Mario digitally and preloaded it.

Ready for tomorrow!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    For the record the motion controls work much better with a joycon in each hand. That's the way they had us play it during the demo.

Yeah but I hate that control scheme and do not want to use it.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Hmm. Debating whether to borrow my work Prime account for the discount and wait a week or just download it tonight.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Hey. Five and a half hours.

Mario's excited, see for yourself:

• Options
    They put me on a new shift this week, normal person hours, getting off at 5:30 so that's cool

It also means I am way too tired to think about the midnight launch

But tomorrow

Oh tomorrow

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Shorty wrote: »
    I'm surprised he could tear himself away from the business factory

he got tired of shouting FUCK EM at random interns every time he was asked about the snes mini inside NoA headquarters so he had to branch out.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Neat thing about the rabbit boss in the sand kingdom
    You don't have to wait for her to throw the big bomb that stays out. You can reflect the small bombs she throws before that.

• Options
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Game of the Year. I don't even need to see anything else.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    https://youtu.be/LOpdeMVB5_8

Tech breakdown from DF

• Options
    I've learned that you cannot possess Hat Dog

Which makes sense, as he's already wearing a hat, and the idea of a dog wearing two hats is just absurd

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    hat-wearing is the primary defense against being possessed by mario's nightmarish hat-shaped cordyceps parasite

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Hat dog is clearly already possessed.

Multiple sentient spirits can not inhabit the same physical body at the same time. This is basic metaphysics here people.

The only exception of course being gestalt demonic entities.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Multiple sentient spirits can not inhabit the same physical body at the same time. This is basic metaphysics here people.

i'm gonna say that this preventive hat news is proof that the dog really is the hero we need to protect us from the Hat

all hail dog

• Options

Successful But Still Weird As Hell Nintendo is the gift that keeps on giving

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    How did they not spring for the live band/singer?

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

Glad to see the intro Ghostbusting guides have arrived. Fill out those forms in triplicate and send a urine and mucus sample to the New York offices and we will start getting your gear to you.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Just got my tracking #, at 10pm the night before. I swear Amazon is trying to give me heart palpitations.

• Options
    wonder what's going on with Nintendo people on the eve of the launch of the new installment in their flagship franchise as well as throwing a massive party in the biggest city in America

oh

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    my odyssey download currently appears frozen at 1%

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

Occupy New Donk City

• Options

When was the last time your Switch was fully powered down and not just in sleep? Rebooting it fully solves a lot of weird issues

I mean, servers could also just be slammed but that seems uncharacteristically bad for them

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

That looks like an old Mc'ds thing they had for children or such

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I'm currently working at Best Buy

We have had no traffic, but all the traffic we have had has been for this game, so that's good!

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

When was the last time your Switch was fully powered down and not just in sleep? Rebooting it fully solves a lot of weird issues

I mean, servers could also just be slammed but that seems uncharacteristically bad for them

i rebooted it and restarted

now it's at 4 percent

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I'm playing Mario

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
This discussion has been closed.