As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Travel] Travel to exotic places and get stuck in the airport.

13»

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    I'm going to Iceland in mid March and then going to Amsterdam from there for a couple days. I have lots planned for Iceland but nothing so far for Amsterdam. Anything that's must-do there or cool towns nearby that are worth a day trip?

Rijksmuseum is renovated and should be worth a look (there's a documentary called The New Rijksmuseum that shows the delayed renovation), and the Dutch Resistance Museum is very nice.

IMO the Van Gogh museum isn't worth it, the Heineken brewery tour is touristy but a good way to kill an hour and for ten bucks not that bad, there are these diamond/jewelry tours that are in the tourist area shops near Vondelpark that are basically just trying to sell you likely overpriced gifts but it's interesting just to people watch.

And if you play tennis they have some nice clay public courts. Also here's a useless fact: they don't use the penny euros in the Netherlands, they round up to the nearest 5c

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    The ladyfriend are planning a 7-10 day adventure to ... somewhere for our collective 30th birthdays.

I'm huge on fishing, so that'll definitely be part of the trip. Unfortunately, she's not so there have to be other activities as well. We're both pretty outdoorsy, so that should be a focus.

Currently I'm looking at Belize. Anyone been there, reports on the some of the tours, sights, etc..? I keep trying to research that stuff and getting distracted by fishing.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I stopped at Belize briefly on my honeymoon, @VishNub . Some of the best snorkeling on the trip, so I definitely recommend that!

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    This is an old thread, but I still like traveling. Has anyone traveled with a young kid? I'm thinking of going somewhere in January/February and my son will be 4-5 months old. Any experiences with that?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Cauld wrote: »
    This is an old thread, but I still like traveling. Has anyone traveled with a young kid? I'm thinking of going somewhere in January/February and my son will be 4-5 months old. Any experiences with that?

My wife and I waited until our son with 6 mos old before taking him on a plane, which is I think the recommended earliest age for that.

Air travel, ground travel? How far away and for how long?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Via what method? I've done lots of plane travel and it's honestly a toss up how they'll handle it.

My brother and sister in law took their youngest (about a year at the time) on a road trip down the west coast and had a blast. But that kid was happy no matter what so long as one of them was in view.

• Options
    Nothing's been decided yet. We could either drive down the East coast a bit or fly somewhere. Flights seem to be very cheap around that time to a lot of places I'd like to go.

Right now he cries a lot when he's awake, so I'm definitely not booking anything in the near future.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Maybe try a short hop somewhere first? If you're on the east coast there's plenty of cheap flights that are just an hour or so long.

Alternatively take him on a day trip and see how that goes. If he's good during ~6 hours in the car he's probably got a good shot at something longer.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    My daughter traveled best when she was that age, the more mobile she got the harder it was to have her on a flight. Flying was a real pain for a while once she could walk.

Carpy on
  • Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    My daughter traveled best when she was that age, the more mobile she got the harder it was too have her on a flight. Flying was a real pain for a while once she could walk.

That was my thinking. That we might be in the sweet spot for travel,

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Cauld wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »
    My daughter traveled best when she was that age, the more mobile she got the harder it was too have her on a flight. Flying was a real pain for a while once she could walk.

That was my thinking. That we might be in the sweet spot for travel,

Kids are all different and what not, plus they like to catch a bug at the worst times but in general as long as she had food/drink on take off and landing to help her ears pop she was good.

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    Get your money.

This will not be resolved anytime soon.