As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony Refuses To Warranty PS3-UPDATE-THE CALL!!!

• Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Proof of purchase is required for Warranty Service. End of fucking story. Even in Quebec - which has the single most consumer friendly warranty legislation in the fucking WORLD (see: Legal Warranty) you still need the god damned receipt.

If you give a gift, get a gift receipt. If you don't have the receipt, don't expect the retailer or the manufacturer to do jack shit for you. They put those warranty cards in the box for a reason.

I have zero pity for people who don't keep track of their paperwork.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am sending an e-mail

When they respond I'll post it here.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    so is it still just because of not having the receipt? Since it was apparently purchased at best buy, why not just have that person go have them make another copy of the receipt? Someone on the first page said best buy does that.

I realize that's not the point, but if you want a working ps3 you gotta do what you gotta do.

Didn't realize that, or catch it, I'll see what I can do as far as that goes.

Algertman on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    Proof of purchase is required for Warranty Service.

Reciept=/=Proof of Purchase.

Read the thread, we've been over that.

Proof of purchase is generally a piece of the packaging, such as a UPC.

One can EASILY have a reciept without having actually purchased a system. Or, one can still have a reciept from a system that they already returned.

Evander on
  • Options
    ExoSlayerExoSlayer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I use to work for Sony in customer relations until it got shipped over to Manila (Basically the highest level of support unless you wanted to write to the office of the presidency) and this is standard procedure. Unless the product is within the market release date, meaning it is in warranty from the products original production date then they will require a receipt. It has nothing to do with the fact that it is a gift but that a receipt is required if we have no other proof the unit is in warranty.
    People have mentioned that stores send this information to the manufacturer and they should just check that, we had no way to check sales from any store on individual items, but if you ask real nicely a manager might call over to the store in question and try to confirm it for you.

What I would recommend is finding if your friend still has the receipt and if not find what store he purchased it from, call the store give them your friends info and if he didn't pay with cash they can likely print you another copy.

ExoSlayer on
    Two air vents, on the roof, that's what the guy was talkin a-SHIT!
    -The D
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ExoSlayer wrote: »
    IPeople have mentioned that stores send this information to the manufacturer and they should just check that, we had no way to check sales from any store on individual items

You should see who Nintendo gets their internal systems from, then. When I had to call about a GBA SP replacement under warranty, a few years back, I gave the CSR my serial number, and she told me exactly where and when I had purchased it.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Evander wrote: »

One can EASILY have a reciept without having actually purchased a system. Or, one can still have a reciept from a system that they already returned.

From someone who actually works in the field: You are wrong. It may have been gone over in the thread but it's not correct.

Manufacturers need DATE of purchase to ensure warranty compliance. This is either a filled out warranty card that was sent in at the time of purchase (usually with a copy of the receipt) or the receipt itself. If he registered the PS3 when he purchased it (either via card or online) that may go a ways to helping, but if you think the UPC is all you need you're dead wrong.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    IPeople have mentioned that stores send this information to the manufacturer and they should just check that, we had no way to check sales from any store on individual items

You should see who Nintendo gets their internal systems from, then. When I had to call about a GBA SP replacement under warranty, a few years back, I gave the CSR my serial number, and she told me exactly where and when I had purchased it.

We don't send our information to Nintendo. In Canada, we can't - it's against PIPEDA, our privacy act (you may not be familiar with the concept of privacy, I hear it was revoked in some parts of North America sometime about 6 years ago). It sounds like you sent a warranty card in.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007

From someone who actually works in the field: You are wrong. It may have been gone over in the thread but it's not correct.

Manufacturers need DATE of purchase to ensure warranty compliance. This is either a filled out warranty card that was sent in at the time of purchase (usually with a copy of the receipt) or the receipt itself. If he registered the PS3 when he purchased it (either via card or online) that may go a ways to helping, but if you think the UPC is all you need you're dead wrong.

Date of purchase (which SHOULD be available because of the scanning of the serial number at register) is only relevant, as far as I am aware, if the product is past its manufacturing date by more than the length of the Warranty. I'd assume a system purchased in mid-to-late March was made less than a year ago, although I can't honestly be sure.

Algertman, can you check the manufacturing date on your system, and let us know? It'll help to see where this stands as being a valid requirement.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

We don't send our information to Nintendo. In Canada, we can't - it's against PIPEDA, our privacy act (you may not be familiar with the concept of privacy, I hear it was revoked in some parts of North America sometime about 6 years ago). It sounds like you sent a warranty card in.

I never send in warranty cards. It's a bad habit of mine.

She honest to god looked it all up by the serial number.

Freaked me out at the time. I had no idea when I bought it, other than "I think it was October", and she quoted me the exact day.

Evander on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Proof of purchase is required for Warranty Service. End of fucking story. Even in Quebec - which has the single most consumer friendly warranty legislation in the fucking WORLD (see: Legal Warranty) you still need the god damned receipt.

If you give a gift, get a gift receipt. If you don't have the receipt, don't expect the retailer or the manufacturer to do jack shit for you. They put those warranty cards in the box for a reason.

Unless you go with a non suckass company like Nintendo. My Mom's DS stopped working and all I did is head to Nintendo's website and enter the serial number, no previous registration no chance of finding the reciept. They sent the prepaid shipping sticker. When it came back it had a slip of paper stating that they detected water damage and as such it wasn't covered by the warrenty, but they had fixed it anyway no charge.

There used to be a company with a motto: We're number two so we try harder. Sony's new motto, we've slipped from first to 3rd in record time so fuck you customers.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Date of purchase (which SHOULD be available because of the scanning of the serial number at register) is only relevant, as far as I am aware, if the product is past its manufacturing date by more than the length of the Warranty. I'd assume a system purchased in mid-to-late March was made less than a year ago, although I can't honestly be sure.

Algertman, can you check the manufacturing date on your system, and let us know? It'll help to see where this stands as being a valid requirement.

How do I check manufacture date?

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Algertman wrote: »

Not sure on a PS3, but on a 360 it's on the same sticker as the serial number.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

FOUND IT!

on the underbelly there is a sticker. On a Gray/Blue bar is wrote FEBRUARY 2007

Algertman on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

FOUND IT!

Damn too bad. PS3s are poisonous if eaten more than six months past their sell date.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Damn too bad. PS3s are poisonous if eaten more than six months past their sell date.
    http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/PS3/Warranties
    It says one year.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    It says one year.

I think he was making a joke

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It says one year.

Yes, and it was quite hilarious if I must say so myself.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    It says one year.

I LOL'd

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It says one year.

I LOL'd

I smirked.

LOLing is a bad idea at the office. Transportation reports generally aren't "laugh out load" funny.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

FOUND IT!

So, Sonyno longer has any justification to require your reciept, OTHER THAN as an arbitrary way of denying service.

It's possible that they think requiring an original reciept helps weed out second-hand oweners, but what that would mean is that, to Sony, denying service to second hand owners is MORE IMPORTANT than providing service to first hand owners (I would consider the first-hand owner to be the first owner to open the box.)

Essentially meaning that Sony simply doesn't give a shit about their customers.

Evander on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It took 16 pages to come to that conclusion? ;-)

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    gilrain wrote: »
    It took 16 pages to come to that conclusion? ;-)

It was just a hypothesis before.

Evander on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Whatever the warranty said, SCEA BECAME in the wrong the second they hung up on Algertman. You never, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER just hang up on a customer. No matter what. Period. You hang up, you lose, and the customer's pretty much free to go to the next level above you, to bitch not only about the original problem, but to bitch about your bad service as well. And a higher-up is much more likely to act on a complaint about an underling than on a complaint about a product.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Whatever the warranty said, SCEA BECAME in the wrong the second they hung up on Algertman. You never, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER just hang up on a customer. No matter what. Period. You hang up, you lose, and the customer's pretty much free to go to the next level above you, to bitch not only about the original problem, but to bitch about your bad service as well. And a higher-up is much more likely to act on a complaint about an underling than on a complaint about a product.

Depending on how Algertman was acting, they may very well be in the right to hang up. If I'm getting yelled at for doing my job, and the person on the line doesn't/wont understand this and hasn't asked for a supervisor (fuck if I'm going to bug him with someone yelling at me), then I disconnect the call. Not saying this is what happened, but after dealing with people calling back and lying about their story and making them seem in the right I can't take a callers word that they didn't get abusive without proof.

Veevee on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I never send in warranty cards. It's a bad habit of mine.

She honest to god looked it all up by the serial number.

Freaked me out at the time. I had no idea when I bought it, other than "I think it was October", and she quoted me the exact day.

I received the same service. At least in the US, Nintendo tracks purchases at POS (at least at major retailers) and does not require a receipt if this information is available. They're also notorious for fixing issues that aren't covered by warranty as well, but that's a separate issue...the point being that Nintendo is willing to accept evidence other than a receipt as to date of purchase.

I'd think that a date of manufacture that is within the warranty period would be sufficient for most companies that don't A) suck B) make defective products or C) both.

And it's clear that in this case that reason is so they can easily disqualify those with legitimately defective products from warranty service. I guess when your sales go to shit every little bit helps.

EDIT: Note that at this point, since we know the date of manufacture, we can definitively say that it has nothing to do with not know when it was sold. Now the only reason they have to deny service is because they believe he stole it, bought it secondhand, or just because they arbitrarily require a receipt. The first is entirely unreasonable, the second is probably less common than first-hand owners with defects and thus bad customer service, and the third is just asshattery by a company that makes shit products and loves money. Any way you slice it...well, lolsony.

Out of curiosity, since it's been put forward here like some kind of common sense assumption, why exactly shouldn't second-hand items that are still within the warranty period be covered? I mean, I understand legally that this is a perfectly valid and common restriction, but I just don't get why it's accepted by many here are the way it should be.

If I buy a PS3 (or anything else), and decide to sell it to somebody else three months later, why shouldn't it be guaranteed to be free from defect for 9 more months (assuming 12 month warranty)? Same item, same date of manufacture. Like I said, I understand that this is the way it is, I just don't understand why we accept that it makes sense.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

As a Quebecker who used various warranty services in the past, I only have one word to sum up this entire post:

Wrong.

Djiem on
  • Options
    ShoonShoon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Lolsony

Shoon on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Djiem wrote: »

As a Quebecker who used various warranty services in the past, I only have one word to sum up this entire post:

Wrong.

I'm willing to bet this part of his post is true: "[Threepio] [has] zero pity for people who don't keep track of their paperwork."

I'm glad to hear the rest is bollocks, though.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, since it's been put forward here like some kind of common sense assumption, why exactly shouldn't second-hand items that are still within the warranty period be covered? I mean, I understand legally that this is a perfectly valid and common restriction, but I just don't get why it's accepted by many here are the way it should be.

If I buy a PS3 (or anything else), and decide to sell it to somebody else three months later, why shouldn't it be guaranteed to be free from defect for 9 more months (assuming 12 month warranty)? Same item, same date of manufacture. Like I said, I understand that this is the way it is, I just don't understand why we accept that it makes sense.

My guess is that it's because there is no way for Sony to know what happened to the console in the intervening time, and something not caused by the second owner may have happened because of the first owner, not faulty manufacturing, and the like. With an authorized retailer, Sony can tell them what to do, but with a second hand seller it becomes a little more iffy.

And, of course, companies also like excuses to use to invalidate warranties.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Wrong.

I'm willing to bet this part of his post is true: "[Threepio] [has] zero pity for people who don't keep track of their paperwork."

Well, yeah, people SHOULD keep track of their paperwork. But the rest is indeed bollocks.

Djiem on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As shitty as it is you have to raise hell Algertman. Most companies will do what they can to make you jump through hoops when your shit does break but you're definately in the right here and need to keep the pressure on.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I had this happen with my brother's PSP. They said they needed a receipt in order to process the warranty. My brother had thrown out the receipt. I called the store he bought it from, and they said they didn't carry receipts from that long ago. He paid cash, on top of it all. He ended up having to pay $90 to get it fixed.

I honestly felt like I was being ripped off (I went through customer service for him) when the guy on the other line told me it would cost that much to fix it. I hope this works out for you.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I had this happen with my brother's PSP. They said they needed a receipt in order to process the warranty. My brother had thrown out the receipt. I called the store he bought it from, and they said they didn't carry receipts from that long ago. He paid cash, on top of it all. He ended up having to pay $90 to get it fixed.

I honestly felt like I was being ripped off (I went through customer service for him) when the guy on the other line told me it would cost that much to fix it. I hope this works out for you.
    I think it really just depends on your luck sometimes. When my psp needed to be replaced I called up and got a really helpful guy who sent me one right away. Didn't even ask for a receipt, just took my info and told me to send it in.

I do think people should keep their receipts, but expecting someone to have a receipt for a gift is a dick move. I generally don't give receipts with gifts because it lets the other person know how much you've spent on them. Some people find giving receipts with the gift rude as it's the equivelant of leaving the price sticker on the item to let them know how much you've spent.

I keep receipts for everything though, even gifts I give. Never know when someone might need it.

WickerBasket on
    "please get on point coward baby magets."

PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
  • Options
    thej3wthej3w Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So if a receipt is needed for getting a product fixed while under warranty. What happens if they give you a replacement item because the first one was just too broken to fix, and then that replacement item needs repairs? The receipt you have would be valid for the first item and would match the original products serial number, but not your replacement item. Would it be fair to say that the system would not be under any such warranty because they fixed the problem you had on the original?

I know the answer to these questions at least for companies other than Sony. But it makes you wonder if Sony would try to pull this type of shit if your replacement unit broke down the line as well.

thej3w on
    J4ku.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Wrong.

As a Quebecker have you ever tried to use the legal fucking warranty? You clearly have no idea about legislation in your own province. Go do some damn research then come back. We deal with it every day.

No receipt, no service. It's that simple. I wouldn't expect Sony, Microsoft OR Nintendo to deal with you without record of your transaction - and they shouldn't. Quit being so damn lax with your shit.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Wrong.

As a Quebecker have you ever tried to use the legal fucking warranty? You clearly have no idea about legislation in your own province. Go do some damn research then come back. We deal with it every day.

No receipt, no service. It's that simple. I wouldn't expect Sony, Microsoft OR Nintendo to deal with you without record of your transaction - and they shouldn't. Quit being so damn lax with your shit.

The legal fucking warranty is a piece of shit. I'm talking about the manufacturer's warranty, which never required me to provide any receipt. Ever. You can spout shit all you want and tell me to do my research, but I at least have anecdotal evidence to support my claim. You don't. You just pretend you've got some PhD in warranties or whatever.

No receipt, no service..... in a retail outlet. I would expect ALL three companies to deal with me WITHOUT record of my transaction, as MS did, for one.

Djiem on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MS took all of fifteen minutes to register my un-registered 360 and put me in the queue for an RMA box. No receipt, either (accidentally thrown out by a helpful girlfriend who was cleaning up my bedroom).

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    ExoSlayerExoSlayer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    thej3w wrote: »
    So if a receipt is needed for getting a product fixed while under warranty. What happens if they give you a replacement item because the first one was just too broken to fix, and then that replacement item needs repairs? The receipt you have would be valid for the first item and would match the original products serial number, but not your replacement item. Would it be fair to say that the system would not be under any such warranty because they fixed the problem you had on the original?

I know the answer to these questions at least for companies other than Sony. But it makes you wonder if Sony would try to pull this type of shit if your replacement unit broke down the line as well.

When I was with Sony if they ended up replacing a consumer electronic product it would either get 90 days of warranty or the remainder of the old warranty (which we would have confirmed before replacing) whichever is longer.

ExoSlayer on
    Two air vents, on the roof, that's what the guy was talkin a-SHIT!
    -The D
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

I think it really just depends on your luck sometimes. When my psp needed to be replaced I called up and got a really helpful guy who sent me one right away. Didn't even ask for a receipt, just took my info and told me to send it in.

I do think people should keep their receipts, but expecting someone to have a receipt for a gift is a dick move. I generally don't give receipts with gifts because it lets the other person know how much you've spent on them. Some people find giving receipts with the gift rude as it's the equivelant of leaving the price sticker on the item to let them know how much you've spent.

I keep receipts for everything though, even gifts I give. Never know when someone might need it.

Gift Receipt

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment